TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

Family Guy

There's an interview Seth McFarlene did on the Family Guy Freakin' Sweet DVD, where he said you can tell when he really likes an episode by the amount of flashbacks that appear. If there are little, that means he really liked the episode. If there are alot, then he didn't really like it.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

"God I miss you Lois, Last Thursday i even had to do that thing that you do for me by myself....you know Thursdays......." (Cut Scene to Peter standing naked attempting to bend over and ????? Fellate himself?......Trips falls down stairslays KO'd in living room)

/Me and my roomate laughed our asses off for 2 minutes and we weren't even sure what he was doing!

While some of you aren't liking the all the references, I think some of the show's subtle nature is going right over your heads. We're on page 3 and not a single person has mentioned Stewie's line about "I have seen nothing but boy babies since we got here" when they arrive in Chinatown. Not saying it was the best line of the episode, but it shows that they DO have more than 80s references.

By the way, was I the only disappointed that when Lois got sentenced, Kool-Aid Man didn't jump through the courthouse wall again?

Guest Olympic Slam
I don't hate the show, but it's gone downhill. A while ago in a Family Guy thread I expressed displeasure in a tendency for FG to occasionally just make a reference, play it straight, and expect it to be funny. I was especially annoyed by the interminable 'Stewie does Shatner doing Rocket Man' bit. Also the 'Sound of Music' song. I got both references, but they didn't make any jokes, no matter how small about it, and it wasn't funny to me.

Ding ding, especially on the bolded part

With the a-ha bit, what I would have done was have the video go like normal for a short while, then just have the soldiers catch up, the music abruptly stop and then the soldiers beat the hell out of the a-ha guy while Chris runs away (and could still come through the eggs at this point). Then you mix a reference with a surprise joke.

I always fast-forward over the Rocket Man and Sound of Music parts.

I think the best example of that style of reference (no gag, just reference) from this new season was when Peter said "This is turning out worse than Stewie's I-Pod commercial" and nothing funny happened. It was just Stewie in an Ipod ad.

In comedy there's something called a Mix, which is where you take something that you think is normal (getting milk) and then put a new unexpected spin on it (getting sucked into the Ah Ha video). Family Guy's formula used to be these great Mixes. But they've been replaced with just referencing He-man, the Goonies and not taking the next step. Yawn. The Ah Ha gag would have been better if the soldiers beat the guy up or did something other than be referential.

The Ipod thing could have been "This is turning out worse than Osama Bin Laden's Ipod commercial." Then cut to Osama dancing to "Video Killed the Radio Star"with the Ipod in one hand and a gun in the other hand. Its not exactly tasteful or gold that would get you to headline at the Improv, but its something!

Yeah, I was always wondering if there was any joke behind the I-Pod commercial.

The Goonies thing made itself better with the "Hahahah. Childhood obesity" line, which is actually a nice statement, as the whole nation (well, everyone who saw The Goonies, whatever) was laughing at some poor fat kid.

While some of you aren't liking the all the references, I think some of the show's subtle nature is going right over your heads.  We're on page 3 and not a single person has mentioned Stewie's line about "I have seen nothing but boy babies since we got here" when they arrive in Chinatown.  Not saying it was the best line of the episode, but it shows that they DO have more than 80s references.

I don't think every single joke has to be mentioned, and there's nothing subtle about Stewie saying "sausage fest."

While some of you aren't liking the all the references, I think some of the show's subtle nature is going right over your heads.  We're on page 3 and not a single person has mentioned Stewie's line about "I have seen nothing but boy babies since we got here" when they arrive in Chinatown.  Not saying it was the best line of the episode, but it shows that they DO have more than 80s references.

I don't think every single joke has to be mentioned, and there's nothing subtle about Stewie saying "sausage fest."

The real point of that was the dig on Chinese population restrictions and the old-world mentality of preferring male babies to female babies (which has been taken to the extreme of having female babies aborted for no other reason but that the parents wanted a boy). Do a Google search for China population restrictions if you must.

So many people settled for the cheap laugh of "Haw, haw, Stewie said 'sausage fest!'", the real context of the joke probably flew over the heads of 90 percent of the audience.

So many people settled for the cheap laugh of "Haw, haw, Stewie said 'sausage fest!'", the real context of the joke probably flew over the heads of 90 percent of the audience.

Yeah, and that brings up something that really annoyed me. A lot of Family Guy fans I know absolutely love Stewie. Stewie has some great jokes but most of them just fly over everyone's heads. Most fans are basically going "Hahahaha, Stewie's a baby, and he's TALKING, hahahahaa." If they're going to do that then maybe they should watch Rugrats or something.

Guest Olympic Slam

The Chinese baby joke was great. But FG has become so brash in its humor, that the subtle stuff slips by. Unless its a sight gag or a reference, I'm betting 90% of the viewers miss it.

Guest JMA

Has anyone noticed that Meg is starting to be involved in more sexual and romantic situations this season? There was the episode where she became an exploited teen sensation (and banged Jimmy Fallon), Brian suggesting that they "fool around", being sold to Neil, and there are probably some other situations that I'm forgetting.

I have no real opinion on this, but it is something that I've noticed. I will say that Meg's character has become much more interesting this season.

Overall, I've enjoyed every episode this season. There are some parts that don't "click," but that's true for almost any show.

I think the problem is that we're saying "needs more this and that" and actually meaning it instead of a real evaluation, because it's hard to really evaluate. It's become so disjointed. They had the episode on Adult Swim tonight where Cleveland's son is strangely adopted by Peter to make him into a golf star, and even though the camping set-up split the episode into two parts almost (and it was probably the best character-driven stuff on the show) and it's not a stand-out episode, I still found it more entertaining than a lot of the new ones. It felt refreshing, like seeing a Simpsons episode from the fifth season after watching a brand new one.