TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

Family Guy

The episode was better than last weeks, but they did go a bit over the top with the pop culture stuff.

But the A-Ha reference was gold. Seriously, if they could limit themselves to a few quality references like that I'd be a lot happier with the show as a whole.

DId you people ever watch the show? They have done that every ep since the first one.

And now it's getting tired. The funniest parts of the show were always the "normal" things that happened in the episode, not the flashbacks. It just gets annoying watching the episode, and hearing some character unnaturally tack on that same line every minute.

I dunno I didn't find the AHA thing funny, because there was no joke to it. Sort of like the he-man joke it was just there with no punchline.

Guest Gendo

I loved the "Heathers" reference with Lois putting her cigarette out on her arm in the car after she robbed the boutique. I know in the movie Winona used a cigarette lighter, but it had to be a call back to that movie. Winona buring all around in this ep.

I dunno I didn't find the AHA thing funny, because there was no joke to it.

Yeah, that was kind of a pain. It seems that these days, they're just trying to cram more references into the show, without actually bothering to make a joke out of it.

The randomness is the joke. The fact that anything could happen. they have alot of joke that either you are going to laugh at or not laugh at all. I usually laugh.

My Tivo was being a bitch yesterday and didn't record even though it is set to record all the episodes. Therefore I missed the first 6-7 minutes and apparently the A-Ha music video.

Is it on the web like the breakfast machine was last week? And can someone who is good with this type of thing help me out?

I loved it. The references are happeneing more and more, but I love it. It's absurd and bizzare humor, which I love.

The actual stories are getting thin though I will admit.

I marked for Joe telling Lois this is just standard procedures, before punching her right in the face.

the new Family Guys are just like the new episodes of the Simpsons, they're both decent enough shows and the episodes have great setups but somewhere they fall short and descend into randomness.

I marked for the A-Ha part.

Guest Olympic Slam

"I tell you Brian, this past episode was worse than the time I referenced something obscure from 80's pop culture instead of delivering on comedy built from situation or characters."

Dude, when did it become the cool IWC thing to hate on Family Guy? The show was never about the characters or the plot, it was the guerrilla humor and out of left field jokes. I could probably reel off several dozen jokes or sight gags from the original run and not remember which episode any of them came from.

Guest Olympic Slam

I used to be the biggest FG fan, but these new episodes defy explanation. I had a friend call me in the middle of last night's episode to tell me how bad he thought it was. I guess I'm not alone. The original epiosdes were all great. With the exception of the first couple in the series, there wasn't a stinker in the whole lot. These new one's are a train wreck and I just can't turn away. They're way way way beyond formula at this point. Gag, sight gag, cut away 80's reference (no joke mind you, just the reference). Gag, 80's sight gag. Repeat until end of time.

I'm old fashioned. Family Ties was funny because Michael J Fox would have two dates for the prom and would create a needlessly elaborate scheme without a hint of irony or the need to reference a movie/TV show/or the Super Friends to make it work. It was all plot, character and situation.

I just think its a sad sign of the times that genuine comedy has been replaced with simply indetifying a consumer product from now or the past. I wanna scream when I see a kid wearing a t-shirt that just says "Cheerios." Do you realize what a consumer whore you are? And Family Guy is the worst offender. Wow the Goonies, big whoop. I swear, all these references are on the same level as a chimpanzees indetinfying shapes on a wall. I guess "getting" the Ah Ha reference is worth a banana.

Oh well. I promise I won't over analyze again this year. Enjoy the upcoming Footloose references, all you crazy chimps.

Dude, when did it become the cool IWC thing to hate on Family Guy?

As far as I know the only people who've expressed negative feelings about the new episodes are myself and Olympic Slam, and before OS's posts this week I thought it was just me.

Defenders of the new episodes talk about how "This is the way the show has always been" but I don't believe it. Hell, the gold standard of FG episodes IMO is "Road to Rhode Island" which is reference free and had only one notable cutaway gag (which was then cut away from the episode), relying instead on a very strong storyline. Other favorite old episodes of mine may have had referential gags, but used them to build up the episode rather than just reference for the sake of referencing (e.g. "Let's Go to the Hop." Tony the Tiger doing Judd Nelson from Breakfast Club still gets me). Even my least favorite of the original run, "Mr Saturday Knight" is palatable in comparison with most of these newer episodes.

By contrast, I think I've also been one of the only people singing the praises of American Dad. Originally I didn't like it because I thought it was just a derivative of FG. However, with each succesive downhill episode of FG, AD would climb uphill, differentiating itself from FG with good stories and minimal referential/cutaway humor, which Seth said he was going to avoid with AD. The absence of the show the last couple weeks has disappointed me because I needed it to wash the bad taste out of my mouth from FG.

Why do people not like AD? Fuck if I know, though it'd be ironic if the reason is because it's nothing like FG

Guest Gendo

I understand what the detractors for the new episodes are saying the show does have a slightly different feel than it used to. However the genuine humor without the pop culture references is still there, for example in this Sundays episode when they were all in the laundry truck with Brian's inability to stand up since he is a dog, when Joe was hanging off the cliff and told Lois to think of him as one of her children but "Not Meg, and Adam We.

The show seems a bit more rapid fire than it used to be without as much cohesion. I chock that up to the writers or McFarlane having too many ideas and not managing them as well as they used to.

Also does anyone know was the production schedule rushed? Seems like at some points they are just trying to kill time. If the schedule was rushed it might explain all the pop culture references in these new episodes since it would be a way to pad the episode.

Regardless of all that I am still enjoying the show and from what I have read ratings wise it should be around again for a while along with American Dad. I just wish they had more new AD episodes coming up since I was really starting to enjoy into that show and look forward to it as much as Family Guy on Sundays.

Dude, when did it become the cool IWC thing to hate on Family Guy?

As far as I know the only people who've expressed negative feelings about the new episodes are myself and Olympic Slam, and before OS's posts this week I thought it was just me.

Take me off your ignore list. =(=(=(=(=(=(=(=(=(=(=(=(=(=(=(=(=(=(=(=(

If you were on my ignore list, I couldn't respond to your post now, could I

I just missed your earlier post, that's all

Add me to the hater list ... but I was never a huge fan, so I don't know if I count. I find some parts of each episode funny, but the misses outnumber the hits for me.

And the A-Ha reference was funny for a few seconds, but then dragged on and on and on. And not in a way that was supposed to add more humor to it (a la the puking scene or the 'Stewie talking to Brian about his book' scene) ... it just seemed to drag on too long.

I don't hate the show, but it's gone downhill. A while ago in a Family Guy thread I expressed displeasure in a tendency for FG to occasionally just make a reference, play it straight, and expect it to be funny. I was especially annoyed by the interminable 'Stewie does Shatner doing Rocket Man' bit. Also the 'Sound of Music' song. I got both references, but they didn't make any jokes, no matter how small about it, and it wasn't funny to me.

They're doing that more and more often, prime examples being the GI Joe and He-Man bits, and to a lesser extent the Herculoids bit. I get all the references, they're just not even really trying to do anything but say, "Hey! Remember this?!"

I don't mind cutaway humor at all as long as they make JOKES.

I don't hate the show, but it's gone downhill. A while ago in a Family Guy thread I expressed displeasure in a tendency for FG to occasionally just make a reference, play it straight, and expect it to be funny. I was especially annoyed by the interminable 'Stewie does Shatner doing Rocket Man' bit. Also the 'Sound of Music' song. I got both references, but they didn't make any jokes, no matter how small about it, and it wasn't funny to me.

Ding ding, especially on the bolded part

With the a-ha bit, what I would have done was have the video go like normal for a short while, then just have the soldiers catch up, the music abruptly stop and then the soldiers beat the hell out of the a-ha guy while Chris runs away (and could still come through the eggs at this point). Then you mix a reference with a surprise joke.

The new FG episodes are being well-received on the net, though there have been grumbling from some quarters about how Seth hasn't done much for Stewie and Brian this season despite it being apparent that they are the two most loved characters of the series.

As for the A-Ha segment, it would have worked better if they had Meg be in it instead of Chris, since it would fit the video's storyline better, not to mention the whole "Meg can't get a boyfriend no matter what" running gag.....

I think Seth learned that the fans don't like Meg as she has pretty much become the laughing stock of the family.

And they defnitely need more Stewie.

And what did everyone think about the Quagmire scenes this week too? Thought it was pretty funny.

I think they're going overboard with Quagmire honestly. They seem to come up with any excuse to give him a "giggity-giggity-goo" dirty joke now. Before it was funny and kind of out of nowher but now they seem to want to throw him in several times an episode. Has he even said "alllll right" that much this season?