TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest jackie fargo

WWE explains the HBK challenge

Guest jackie fargo

I moved this to the WWE forum:

It looks as though WWE has explained the HBK challenge on their website-

I recommend everyone read the entire article, its very interesting in the way that it is worded-

It seems as though they are going with the stroryline that HBK was held down by HUlk Hogan all those years-

Also, It looks as though to me they could be setting up a Hulk Hogan Heel turn, they are playing this off as Shawn Micheals being the held down, make it against all odds opponent-

Maybe I'm reading too much into the article, but it sure seems as though they are making Hogan the Heel in this match...

YEARS LATER, HBK NEEDS ANSWERS

Shawn Michaels is “the showstopper.” His cocky and flamboyant style has made him one of the most recognized Superstars in WWE history. He has even referred to himself as an “icon” of sports-entertainment. And who could argue? He’s held nearly every major championship there is to hold. And at one point, he figuratively carried the company on his aching back.

But in this business, every Superstar is measured against the legendary specter of one man – the immortal Hulk Hogan. Could HBK measure up to Hogan? That’s the question that has been haunting Michaels since Hogan left WWE in the mid 1990s. It was a question Michaels never got a chance to answer, until now.

When Michaels stunned the world by nailing the Hulkster with Sweet Chin Music on RAW a few weeks back, it appeared on the surface to have been a split-second decision. The reality is Michaels resentment for Hogan had been brewing for decades.

When Shawn first arrived in WWE back in the late 1980s, Hulk Hogan was on top of the sports-entertainment mountain. The movement known as Hulkamania had become a pop-culture phenomenon, making Hogan one of the most recognizable names in the world. As a result of his enormous success, the Hulkster enjoyed all the perks often associated with being the top dog. Not only did Hogan fly first-class, get driven around in stretch limousines and stay in posh hotel rooms, but he was also the first Superstar to be given his own dressing room in every arena across the country.

Just a youngster at the time trying to make it big, Michaels watched Hogan as he gained all the accolades. With eyes wide open, Shawn was committed to become everything Hogan was, and more. Michaels knew he had the ability to be the best in the world, he just needed the platform to showcase his talents. Unfortunately, however, there was no room for Michaels on the top of the card. The 302-pound WWE Champion never saw Michaels, a mere 225 pounds, as a suitable opponent. As a result, Michaels was relegated to mid-card status while Hogan continued to tour the country in first-class style.

Despite being told he was not the same caliber of Hogan, Michaels continued to persevere. Eventually, Shawn used his athletic talents to literally force his way into the Intercontinental Championship picture. During this time, Michaels competed in some of the most exciting matches ever to be seen on WWE television. According to Michaels, this was the beginning of his rise to the top. According to Hogan, however, Michaels was still not big enough to main event a card with him.

Never one to take no for an answer, HBK continued to amaze audiences. Eventually, WWE officials were forced to take notice and give Michaels the chance he always wanted. Coincidentally, HBK’s shot at greatness came just after Hulk Hogan left WWE for WCW.

With Hogan out of the picture, Michaels did what he always set out to do – represent WWE as its top star. As WWE Champion, Michaels was finally afforded all the perks Hogan once had – he had the seat in first-class, the limo driver, the fancy hotel room, his own locker room… He even began to help those close to him make a name for themselves, just as Hogan did years earlier.

Shawn Michaels had it all. Or did he?

On the surface, HBK appeared to be happier than ever. He was finally the top star. He finally jumped all the hurdles to become the biggest name in the industry. But despite all his success, Michaels still had one demon lingering in the back of his mind. Even with the WWE Championship strapped securely around his waist, HBK often wondered if he would have been able to reach the same level of success if Hogan was still a member of WWE. Ultimately, Shawn Michaels questioned whether he could beat the legend of Hulk Hogan.

On July 4, 2005, HBK took the first step in answering the question he needs answered. When Michaels delivered Sweet Chin Music to Hulk Hogan, he was extending a challenge he knew the Hulkster could not refuse, a challenge 20 years in the making. While many have questioned the route Michaels has taken to make this dream match a reality, one thing is for certain, Shawn Michaels will have all his questions answered.

Can Shawn Michaels beat Hulk Hogan? HBK will finally find out at SummerSlam.

Too late now. Michaels did the unprovoked attack, that's a heel turn to most fans. They can't retroactively go back now and set up his motivation. He can perhaps whine about it now but in a heelish way.

Whether Hogan held Shawn down is up for debate anyway. Hogan left in 93, and I'd hardly think Michaels was in any position to main event at that point. He was really kind of a joke IC champ at that point.

Too late now.  Michaels did the unprovoked attack, that's a heel turn to most fans.  They can't retroactively go back now and set up his motivation.  He can perhaps whine about it now but in a heelish way.

Whether Hogan held Shawn down is up for debate anyway.  Hogan left in 93, and I'd hardly think Michaels was in any position to main event at that point.  He was really kind of a joke IC champ at that point.

Good Jackie. Youll get more response here I think.

Now its time to bash the newcomer! :bonk: Only kidding, welcome aboard. You will find life very entertaining here, better that US wrestling itself on the whole.

But I have to agree with cabbage. Michaels did the heely thing. He can twist though that he wants to prove that he is better Hogan and is the WWE's number one all time greatest wrestler (which he should have done so IMHO and not said hes doing it for the fans and then Piper calling him a coward, which was just lame dumb pathetic shit). It should have been about HBK releasing that hes jealous of the love Hogan gets now, and HBK is the sidekick, even though he brought him back.

Hogan held a lot of people down, but I think it is a strech of the imagination to accuse him of holding Michaels down (Steamboat is another matter entirely, for example). I wouldnt describe HBK as a 'joke' of an IC champ at the time, cause wasnt 1993 after WMX?

Guest JMA

That article seems like it would work better with Bret in place of HBK's name. But, as it is, I have no problem with it.

Guest bigm350
Too late now.  Michaels did the unprovoked attack, that's a heel turn to most fans.  They can't retroactively go back now and set up his motivation.  He can perhaps whine about it now but in a heelish way.

Whether Hogan held Shawn down is up for debate anyway.  Hogan left in 93, and I'd hardly think Michaels was in any position to main event at that point.  He was really kind of a joke IC champ at that point.

Good Jackie. Youll get more response here I think.

Now its time to bash the newcomer! :bonk: Only kidding, welcome aboard. You will find life very entertaining here, better that US wrestling itself on the whole.

But I have to agree with cabbage. Michaels did the heely thing. He can twist though that he wants to prove that he is better Hogan and is the WWE's number one all time greatest wrestler (which he should have done so IMHO and not said hes doing it for the fans and then Piper calling him a coward, which was just lame dumb pathetic shit). It should have been about HBK releasing that hes jealous of the love Hogan gets now, and HBK is the sidekick, even though he brought him back.

Hogan held a lot of people down, but I think it is a strech of the imagination to accuse him of holding Michaels down (Steamboat is another matter entirely, for example). I wouldnt describe HBK as a 'joke' of an IC champ at the time, cause wasnt 1993 after WMX?

No. WM X happened in 1994, not 1993.

Sorry, but HBK is the heel here, no doubt about it. Marks don't know or care who held who down 10 or so years ago. They know now, and about 3 weeks ago, HBK superkicked Hogan Pearl Harbor style. That makes him a heel by default.

The problem is, a LOT of fans have wanted to see Hogan get what's coming to him for some time now. Couple that with the whoreish shilling of Hogan Knows Best and we could see a reversal of fortune here.

My original theory that this was going to turn into the Star of the 80's vs. the Star of the 90's where they were both tweeners. Considering Shawn is still getting face pops, I wouldn't be surprised if this is what it turned into.

It'll basically be Hulkamanics vs Pseudo-Smarks who think Michaels is still the best and the backup team of young females.

The Psuedo-Smarks will look past Montreal and hate on Hogan for all the WWE/WCW "holding down" and the girls will cheer because they're sheep.

Guest Fishyswa

I think this is simply WWE realizing a face vs face match with the two has more value than a face vs heel match. They failed to properly set it up like that and now they want to redirect things. I don't think it will work.

IMO the reason why its been so wishy-washy is that Shawn and/or WWE wants him to be a face after this whole thing blows over. They porbably have no plans for Shawn as a long-term heel and just wanted to milk some extra money out of the customers hands. (but then again, are you really going to pay 34.95 to see a 40 year old shawn vs a way over the hill hogan?)

But I could be wrong and it's just that "Creative" is having writers block again.

Guest jackie fargo

It really looks as though that they are looking to do a Hogan turn by the article, but maybe it's they still don't know which way they are going to tell the story, so they put this online to see the response it gets from readers.

there are several ways they could do this to make it more interesting-

For one, both Hogan and HBK have history wih both Kevin Nash and Bret Hart

if both or even one individual would be willing to be a part of the angle would really add to the drama for SS-

you could have Nash side with HBK, even though theres the alliance with Hogan-he could turn on HBK in the match and you could have Hart in Hogans corner even though there is the speculation that Hogan refused to lay down for him during 1993-

there are many ways this could go, but It wouldn't make much sense to me to turn Hogan Heel if that's the idea as of today?

Hogan as of right now is the most over guy in wrestling...

I figured Hogan was only going to be around through Summerslam (to promote his show) so a heel turn would seem out of the question. If he sticks aroudn after that, then iot will be overkill and the fans will crap on it again. Small does of Hogan are fine, but every week? ughhhh

Shawn probably agreed to turn heel and afterwards regretted it, so they're trying to keep him as a face for after Hogan leaves.

I think HBK is going to be Cena's next fued, so he'll stay heel...Hogan is losing at Summerslam...

Guest JMA

I've said this before, but if Hogan and HBK hug after this match, I'll become ill. I'm so tired of Shawn as a face.

there are many ways this could go, but It wouldn't make much sense to me to turn Hogan Heel if that's the idea as of today?

There's no way that they're turning Hogan heel.

Remember when Hogan was the "heel" in his feud with The Rock? Yeah, that lasted a while.

The best they can hope for with this article is that they're both tweeners.

Michaels is a heel.

Clearly.

He was too scared to come to the ring to face Hogan.

He basically thinks he's better. He KNOWS he can beat Hogan. And he said, that unlike all the other guys, no one that faced Hogan had the skills & passion that Michaels has/had. He feels Hogan has to step up to his level.

Michaels will likely win.

How hard is it to see?

Except for the whole, you know, new angle that they're using him for.

What new angle, this is just the egotiscal HBK of 96 and 97.

It really looks as though that they are looking to do a Hogan turn by the article, but maybe it's they still don't know which way they are going to tell the story, so they put this  online to see the response it gets from readers.

there are several ways they could do this to make it more interesting-

For one, both Hogan and HBK have history wih both Kevin Nash and Bret Hart

if both or even one individual would be willing to be a part of the angle would really add to the drama for SS-

you could have Nash side with HBK, even though theres the alliance with Hogan-he could turn on HBK in the match and you could have Hart in Hogans corner even though there is the speculation that Hogan refused to lay down for him during 1993-

I think you can forget Bret for sure. No way he will help HBK on screen. Id say Nash is past it now.

Shawn probably agreed to turn heel and afterwards regretted it, so they're trying to keep him as a face for after Hogan leaves.

What is this huge problem that he has about playing heel for fucks sake? Hes not going to hell because of it.

The thing is, there's always been a segment of the fans that never liked Michaels. Not being a smark a decade ago I was incredulous as to why they kept pushing this guy. He was ultra annoying, dressed like someone out of a gay bar, and most guys at my HS couldn't stand him. What does it say about the guy that I basically said "To hell with the WWF" when he won the title and watched mostly WCW? That's the only time I ever felt that way too, since once Bret came back and started feuding with Austin I got back into the WWF again.

Hogan's character is simply more timeless than Michaels and that's why no one would cheer for Shawn over Hogan. If the jaded Philly fans were solidly behind Hulk, everyone will be. I mean what is sadder: A 50+ year old man out flexing his muscles and trying to play to the crowd or a 40 year old man wearing a gay cop outfit and pretending to be a boy toy sex symbol (while balding)?

Well personally, Shawn was the one that got me into wrestling as a kid back during his whole concussion angle with Owen in '95. And most kids, including lots of girls, at school liked him a lot. There will always be a segment of fans that don't like any wrestler. HBK is the reason that I ever got into wrestling as much as I did.

I always enjoyed seeing the pussy with the mullet and tassels get the shit beat out of him by Undertaker when I was younger. Guess that about sums up my feelings on Michaels in my youth.

Guest MrBriggs
And ironically the same could be said about himself.

I have to respectfully disagree with this quip. Sure HBK does all of his signature spots, but he busts out some new stuff every now and then to spruce things up. You get the ocassional plancha out of him, or the springboard superkick spot was neat, table spots every once and a while, etc.