TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Recommend alcoholic beverages

Guest Skironox

I like Smirnoff. Thats real fire water right there.

I need some serious education on alcoholic drinks. The most sophisticated thing I've ever had is a White russian. What the hell is a martini, exactly? I like doing just straight shots and beer and all, but I'm sort of coming off as an alcoholic to my more sophisticated friends.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Martini's the big shot of cocktails. Gin with a splash of vermouth and an olive. There's a billion variations.

Go for a James Bond martini, which is equal parts gin, vermouth, and vodka. If everything's top-shelf, this is palatable. I'm not a gin fan.

The Bond martini is sharp. Really good. My favorite way to do a martini is dirty; same as it ever was, but with a healthy splash of olive juice and an extra olive or two floating around in there. A quick shake of white pepper is interesting too.

Oh, and if you're making your own, be sure you have dry vermouth for a martini. Sweet vermouth is good for Manhattans, which are basically the same damn thing except subbing in bourbon for vodka or gin. I still like bourbon better straight-up, but a Manhattan'll do.

If you're going dirty, try the Absolut Peppar. It's good shit, although I prefer it for cooking.

And buy a vermouth spritzer. They're useful for measuring an exact amount of vermouth, they help impress your friends with gadgetry, and you can use them to spray vermouth into your mouth like Chloraseptic.

As part of a bar crawl we had to invent drinks that would taste like shit.

The first two suggestions were a Laverne Dafazio (milk & pepsi, with a shot of bar whiskey dropped in like an Irish Car Bomb) and a Black New Orleans (one part Kahlua, 4 parts water, served warm).

Guest Agent of Oblivion

The Rusty Water fits in with those plans nicely.

Erk and Jerk:

E&J brandy and JD.

Southern Comfort is so fuckin' vile. Barf.

Seconded. Some nasty shit there.

What the hell are you talking about. It's like drinking Root Beer and maple syrup. Honestly, it goes down easier than just about any shot I can think of.

I really hate pepole hating on the So Co. It's my second fav straight shot after Sky.

Agreed, it's probably my favourite straight drink.

What are peoples opinions on Canadian Club Whiskey. I had some recently. Wasn't majorly impressed but it did the job. Oh and never try Huzzar Vodka, it's just foul.

While I'd never drink one (tomatoesarevil.com) I guess that Bloody Mary's have something (most likely the dreaded tomato) that is wicked good to help for the morning after if you've drank too much the night before.

I go with gin & tonics in the morning ... I don't like screwdrivers enough to have more than one or two, but Beefeater I can drink like no tomorrow.

I drank a bloody mary once. It was the nastiest thing I ever tasted in my life. It basically tasted like hot sauce mixed with salt. You really couldn't taste anything that remotely tasted like it should be in a drink.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

That's a good'n. Do it with Goldschlager instead of the Mintz. Even better