TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

the Rev. Wright bullshit isn't a legit one

He's the guy B.O. Hussein listened to for 20 years. Was wedded to his wife by him, had his house dedicated by him, said he brought him to Christ. He called him his "spiritual adviser" and his "mentor" and put him on his campaign team.

Yes, Wright is an issue. One that speaks directly to B.O. Hussein's judgement and character.

Yes, Wright is an issue. One that speaks directly to B.O. Hussein's judgement and character.

Um, in case you missed it...Obama and Wright are feuding now. Obama finds Wright's speech tour self-serving and divisive, and Wright thinks Obama sold out and is just another politician for distancing himself from him. But go ahead and keep trying to link them together, and see how much mileage that gets you. (Spoiler Warning: Not much.)

the Rev. Wright bullshit isn't a legit one

He's the guy B.O. Hussein listened to for 20 years. Was wedded to his wife by him, had his house dedicated by him, said he brought him to Christ. He called him his "spiritual adviser" and his "mentor" and put him on his campaign team.

No, it speaks to Wright's character and judgement. Guilt by association is bullshit. Keep in mind this is still all over a couple of 30 second youtube clips. Nothing more, but lets stay outraged over nothing a little while longer, shall we?

Um, in case you missed it...Obama and Wright are feuding now. Obama finds Wright's speech tour self-serving and divisive, and Wright thinks Obama sold out and is just another politician for distancing himself from him. But go ahead and keep trying to link them together, and see how much mileage that gets you. (Spoiler Warning: Not much.)

Didn't miss it at all. Part of my job is to keep up with the news.

The fact that B.O. Hussein and Wright are "feuding" today changes nothing about their decades-long association, friendship, and co-dependence. Furthermore, B.O. Hussein's maneuvering is actually managing to make Wright, of all people, look prescient.

No, it speaks to Wright's character and judgement. Guilt by association is bullshit.

Keep telling yourself that.

B.O. Hussein chose Wright.

Either he agreed with his anti-American sentiments, or he didn't mind them, or he was blind, deaf, and stupid for 20 years. Pick any or all of the above, but don't imagine for one second that your answer (whatever it is) will make anyone more likely to vote for the Obamessiah.

No, it speaks to Wright's character and judgement. Guilt by association is bullshit.

Either he agreed with his anti-American sentiments, or he didn't mind them, or he was blind, deaf, and stupid for 20 years. Pick any or all of the above, but don't imagine for one second that your answer (whatever it is) will make anyone more likely to vote for the Obamessiah.

Or maybe he didn't give those types of sermons over the course of 20 years which is why nothing more then a couple of 30 second clips have been used, period. I really don't care if this makes more or less people vote for Obama, as the issue is the media running with sensationalistic bullshit that distract people from legit issues because afterall, ratings are what should matter when it comes to the news, right?

Or maybe he didn't give those types of sermons over the course of 20 years which is why nothing more then a couple of 30 second clips have been used

You can't really be this naive.

This race, while competitive, has just done so much damage to both candidates. If Obama wins he's got to endure the Wright association for the general and if Hillary wins then she's basically going to have to rebuild her reach to the black community which probably will not work and that could well cost her the election. It would be interesting to see if Obama getting robbed of the nomination at the convention by super delegates could cause a great shift in the black vote back to the GOP.

This to me is why Hillary is a lot more unelectable than Obama at this point.

A democrat can lose the white vote (while staying within 42-43%) but win because of overwhelming black support (Bill Clinton).

Obama may have a problem with working class whites, but he can possibly win them over by November, or at least ensure he doesn't lose them by that wide of margin to Mccain. However, Hillary has completely blown it with black voters with her behaviour and blatant race bating. And if she does get the nomination it'll be because she argued the black man couldn't win, which won't go down well with AAs, who have stuck with the democrats for decades. If even 30% of the blacks who usually vote democrat either sit at home or vote for mccain on election day becuase they're mad at Hillary, that's around 6 million votes.

While Hillary may have reinforced her whiteness to get votes, she's also alienated black voters, who she needs. I don't know why this hasn't occured to her. Possibly she's so determined to win she hasn't thought about it.

Or maybe he didn't give those types of sermons over the course of 20 years which is why nothing more then a couple of 30 second clips have been used

You can't really be this naive.

If you want to claim Wright has been a crackpot for the entire time Obama has known him, the burden is on YOU to prove it.

And don't tell me people's views can't change over time. You're talking to someone who has voted for both John Ashcroft and Ralph Nader.

I have to think Obama's one of these guys who always knew he was going places...so with that in mind why is he going sit and listen to his preacher spew racial hatred for 20 years, knowing full well it could come back to haunt him later in his political career? I really think he would have been too smart for that.

Anyway I'm still wondering why the crazy black preacher is so much worse than the crazy white preachers the christian right have associated themselves with over the years. You know, the ones that blame gays for natural disasters and terrosist attacks on abortionists.

If the people in a church are all guilty by association, what does that say about Tom Haggard's congregation?

If you want to claim Wright has been a crackpot for the entire time Obama has known him, the burden is on YOU to prove it.

Polling leads me to conclude that your assertion is incorrect.

Guest Vitamin X

There is one thing that YOU LIBERALS seem to be getting wrong, and that's that no matter who wins the democratic nomination- they are not going to lose the "black vote". It's highly statistically unlikely to see a radical shift in "the black vote" to a presidential candidate who share completely the opposite view on many issues than Sen. Clinton does (except for the recent idea about suspending federal gas taxes). We're not going to see some radical change in ideology among one of the largest stable voting blocs in the Democratic Party just because a half-black man did not get the nomination over a woman, regardless of whether or not she is marginalizing his nomination by continuing her campaign.

There is one thing that YOU LIBERALS seem to be getting wrong, and that's that no matter who wins the democratic nomination- they are not going to lose the "black vote". It's highly statistically unlikely to see a radical shift in "the black vote" to a presidential candidate who share completely the opposite view on many issues than Sen. Clinton does (except for the recent idea about suspending federal gas taxes). We're not going to see some radical change in ideology among one of the largest stable voting blocs in the Democratic Party just because a half-black man did not get the nomination over a woman, regardless of whether or not she is marginalizing his nomination by continuing her campaign.

Someone with the American chronicle did a survey with 300 black voters who supported Obama. When asked whether they would vote for Clinton 292 said No because they'd feel she stole it from Obama. Obviously, some of them may come back into the fold but a lot of them won't.

You can say 'they'll get over it' but a lot of them won't. Blacks have been the cornerstone of the democrat party for decades, they've stuck by every candidate (Gore, Kerry, Clinton) and to suddenly turn around and say that while Obama has played by the rules, has gotten the most delegates, most states and most of the popular vote, but it's going to someone else because they don't think a black man can win...you don't realise how catastrophic that would be?

It doesn't matter if Hillary's a democrat. If Britney spears had a D by her name, does that mean people are still going to vote for her because she's not a republican?

Mccain knows this. That's why he went to new orleans. He knows if Hillary wins, the republicans could potentially garner a lot of the AA vote.

Truth is now based on number of believers. Gotcha.

Truthiness!

No, you misunderstand me. I did not even attempt to establish what Wright's beliefs were in the past.

However, you said that the "burden of proof" is on me to prove that Wright has been a "crackpot" for 20 years. That is an essentially subjective assessment, and it seems that the overwhelming majority of people who have responded to recent surveys on this question do in fact concur with the impression that Wright has always been a "crackpot," not to mention a racist, an anti-Semite, and an anti-American hate-monger. Therefore, if any "burden of proof" exists, it is on Wright's supporters to prove the opposite - at least in the court of public opinion. And say whatever you please, decry the unfairness as much as you like, but that is what will count in the upcoming primaries.

let this coverage die the quick death it deserves

So you can get back to fellating your mulatto saint?

knock that fucking shit off, seriously.

Someone with the American chronicle did a survey with 300 black voters who supported Obama. When asked whether they would vote for Clinton 292 said No because they'd feel she stole it from Obama. Obviously, some of them may come back into the fold but a lot of them won't.

You can say 'they'll get over it' but a lot of them won't. Blacks have been the cornerstone of the democrat party for decades, they've stuck by every candidate (Gore, Kerry, Clinton) and to suddenly turn around and say that while Obama has played by the rules, has gotten the most delegates, most states and most of the popular vote, but it's going to someone else because they don't think a black man can win...you don't realise how catastrophic that would be?

It doesn't matter if Hillary's a democrat. If Britney spears had a D by her name, does that mean people are still going to vote for her because she's not a republican?

Mccain knows this. That's why he went to new orleans. He knows if Hillary wins, the republicans could potentially garner a lot of the AA vote.

but even if blacks stayed home, how would that affect the electoral college outcome? they help in the south & urban areas, but i can't think of any big battleground states where they would sway the vote. it's not like if they stay home the democrats will lose california.

No, you misunderstand me. I did not even attempt to establish what Wright's beliefs were in the past.

However, you said that the "burden of proof" is on me to prove that Wright has been a "crackpot" for 20 years. That is an essentially subjective assessment, and it seems that the overwhelming majority of people who have responded to recent surveys on this question do in fact concur with the impression that Wright has always been a "crackpot," not to mention a racist, an anti-Semite, and an anti-American hate-monger. Therefore, if any "burden of proof" exists, it is on Wright's supporters to prove the opposite - at least in the court of public opinion. And say whatever you please, decry the unfairness as much as you like, but that is what will count in the upcoming primaries.

Citing "the overwhelming majority of people who have responded to recent surveys on this question do in fact concur" is not evidence of anything. That's still truth based on number of believers, rather than facts. You cannot determine facts or even the worthiness of a "subjective assessment" by counting heads.

Now...here's the real question...what is the relevance of Wright's beliefs? Are we now going to start judging candidates on what people say at their church? Even when they've said repeatedly and publicly that they do not agree with those statements? That is a new wrinkle to the process that is not only unfair, but also disqualifies almost anyone who has ever been to church.

Now, Obama has said he doesn't agree with Wright. Why isn't that good enough?

What are you afraid of? He might get elected and appoint Louis Farrakhan the Secretary of State? Might offer Al Quaeda an unconditional surrender? God will come down from heaven and smite us for electing him? I want to know...what is unspeakable act conservatives are afraid he'll do because he isn't "patriotic" enough? And if I accept that, where does it end? Hillary isn't patriotic enough because of her association with certain 60s radicals? McCain might have been brainwashed in Hanoi? Where do we draw the line between unproven innuendo and actual issues that really matter to the American public?

but even if blacks stayed home, how would that affect the electoral college outcome? they help in the south & urban areas, but i can't think of any big battleground states where they would sway the vote. it's not like if they stay home the democrats will lose california.

Michigan? Florida? Ohio? Missouri? Arkansas?

Michigan? Florida? Ohio? Missouri? Arkansas?

Not only that, but if these groups help Obama in states that Democrats usually don't do well in, doesn't that potentially make states that were consider safely Republican into battleground states?

I have to think Obama's one of these guys who always knew he was going places...so with that in mind why is he going sit and listen to his preacher spew racial hatred for 20 years, knowing full well it could come back to haunt him later in his political career? I really think he would have been too smart for that.

Anyway I'm still wondering why the crazy black preacher is so much worse than the crazy white preachers the christian right have associated themselves with over the years. You know, the ones that blame gays for natural disasters and terrosist attacks on abortionists.

There's not, however the corporate media seems to have a "oh that's just that cutesy racist white preacher guy lets ignore the racist bigotry that comes out of their mouths and bring them on our cable news network shows to talk politics, I mean they might be racists but they still love jesus" relationship with the likes of Fauwell, Robertson, Bauer etc....yet when it comes to Rev. Wright, it is "OMG that angry black guy is going to bring down America, HE MUST BE STOPPED"

And the hypocritical part is that the Republican party has not made it any secret over the past 30 years that they actively try to court the likes of these guys in order to get the religious right vote.

The problem with the media especially around election time is that they run with these sensationalistic stories and put them front and center as if they are more important then voting records, where candidates stand on the issues, differeces in poliices etc etc etc, so people end up voting for candidates for ridiculous reasons.

I hate to bring up polls/suveys but there was a recent one done that show the majority of responders agree more with the "democrats" agenda then the "republicans" agenda, but then if you magically insert actual names, the poll changes and favors McCain slightly, as-if Hillary & Obama are just planning something so much more radical then what the mainstream democratic party is offering up. It is ludicrous, really.

I seem to remember Ann Coulter acting like the Pope died when Jerry "9/11 was Americans' Own Fault" Falwell kicked the bucket a couple of years ago, and even went so far as to say she "ALWAYS" agreed with him. Using the logic of the conservatives (i.e. "anyone who criticizes America must hate America"), Coulter must also hate America, and by extention Marney.

It also seems that Glenn Beck hates America, and I suppose so does Marvin.

Or maybe he didn't care. After all, my grandfather is the most influential person I have ever had in my life and he is also bigoted against blacks. Yet, I seem to have no problem making friends and getting along with black people. There IS a generation gap you could consider.

Crazy, white preachers may be fucking racist, hateful, ignorant nutjobs, but they love America.

Crazy, black preacher Rev. Wright is a racist, hateful, ignorant nutjob AND he hates America.

There is a big difference there when the person associating with them is running for said country. Sad but true.

So you can get back to fellating your mulatto saint?
Um, excuse me, but mulatto (meaning mule) is not an accepted term to use anymore. Mixed, is, I think, more acceptable.

k thnx.

Crazy, white preachers may be fucking racist, hateful, ignorant nutjobs, but they love America.

Crazy, black preacher Rev. Wright is a racist, hateful, ignorant nutjob AND he hates America.

There is a big difference there when the person associating with them is running for said country. Sad but true.

I don't know if you could even call Wright a racist. Arguably, a black person in America can never be racist, because any negative feelings they have towards whites is a reaction, not racism. The negative reaction from the oppressed can't fully be blamed on them. However, a lot of White racists aren't reacting to any sort of oppression, they just dislike blacks for the sake of it.

I'm not defending Wright but just the idea that poor, white America (who only make up 75% of the population after all) are under attack from the crazy black preacher is laughable to me.

This Wright stuff is going to get old pretty quick, and the media will have to find something else to drive into the ground. I don't think the average person really cares, to be honest.

Sign in to follow this