TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

And I don't think a minimum wage hike, the last of which was over a decade ago at the federal level, has anything to do with the current unemployment rate.

Does Superjerk not know that the Congress passed the Fair Minimum Wage Act last year which hiked min. wage last July and will go up again next month and the July after that to $7.25 an hour.

Does Superjerk know that teenage unemployment went up 3% to 18% in May which was a huge factor in the .5% jump in overall unemployment? Could that 3% rise possibly be because companies eliminated low skill/min wage jobs now before they would have to pay them more next month? How much do you want to bet unemployement goes up again this month?

Just a few things to think about.

that seems like a reasonable explanation to me, but it leaves open the question of when exactly is the right time to raise the minimum wage? you can't just let it sit there at $5.65 or whatever it was forever. should we have waited another 2 years to raise it? another 5, 10 years? the larger problem isn't that it was raised, the problem was that it stagnated for ten years. when you have to catch up for ten years of cost-of-living increases all at once, there's going to be some severe growing pains. the "but it'll hurt the economy" argument can be made at absolutely any time the minimum wage needs to be increased.

The minimum wage is a joke...well a federal minimum wage is a huge joke but even state mandated ones are somewhat of a joke. The majority of workers that earn it are 16-25 and not dependent on what they earn to raise a family or whatever. Anyone still earning minimum wage past 25 needs to reevaluate their situation and ask why the hell they're still making minimum wage after working being in the workforce in some capacity for almost 10 years. If they cant hold a job down or they dont have any skills to apply towards furthering career opportunities or they dont have the motivation to take free classes or whatever to get new job skills, than quite frankly they deserve to barely squeak by on minimum wage.

Im not giving them any sympathy and it irks me that the government does. Why bother trying to improve your career skills or whatever when you realize the governments gonna give you a 70 cent raise every year? I wish I got a 70 cent raise every year, but the raise I do get I have to fucking earn by working my ass off for a whole year...and these people expect to just show up to their job and get a raise every year because the government says they dont get paid enough? If more people understood minumum wage and the "who gets paid minimum wage and why" argument, people would be against it because essentially everyone is now paying more for stuff to subsidize teenagers and lazy bums who have no motivation to further themselves because the governments giving them a $2.10 raise over 3 years.

Minimum wage is generally for largely unskilled workers. It exists to provide subsistence in line with inflation, and to make sustainable jobs that skilled workers won't do. Your complaint about 70 cent annual raises completely ignores gtd's post clearly stating that the minimum wage hasn't been increased appropriately over the past 10 years. We're only seeing large increases now as a result of that.

The short-term changes in unemployment will balance out pretty soon. While you're not wrong that jobs have likely been cut in anticipation of the wage increase, you are wrong in assuming (or at least implying) that unemployment will remain steady.

The minimum wage is a joke...well a federal minimum wage is a huge joke but even state mandated ones are somewhat of a joke. The majority of workers that earn it are 16-25 and not dependent on what they earn to raise a family or whatever. Anyone still earning minimum wage past 25 needs to reevaluate their situation and ask why the hell they're still making minimum wage after working being in the workforce in some capacity for almost 10 years. If they cant hold a job down or they dont have any skills to apply towards furthering career opportunities or they dont have the motivation to take free classes or whatever to get new job skills, than quite frankly they deserve to barely squeak by on minimum wage.

I actually agree with this. The argument that gets put out: "You can't sustain a family on a minimum wage job!" is also a joke. You're not supposed to sustain a family with that kind of job, period. Those jobs are for high school kids, college students, and people who just need a second or part time job. The minimum wage isn't and shouldn't be designed so that someone can support a family of four with one minimum wage job. It's ridiculous.

The minimum wage isn't and shouldn't be designed so that someone can support a family of four with one minimum wage job. It's ridiculous.

But...it isn't, as you said. Straw man city. Even at this outrageous forthcoming rate of $7.25, a 40-hour work week grosses around $15k/year.

Now, if what you're trying to say is that you don't like living wage arguments being tied to minimum wage, then I follow your line of thinking just fine. They do generally have some cross-purposes.

You'd really be suprised at how many pepole try to make a living on minimum wage type jobs. Hell walk through any Wal-Mart, most of the employees aren't teen/college age. And I refuse to believe those kids don't deserve a decent wage. Most pepole have to work there way through college these days, even some teens in lower income families are helping pay the bills. I can feel for a mom and pop store just trying to survive, but most minimum wage type jobs are for retail and fast food corperations. If they have a probleme with increased wages, take it out of the obscence CEO saleries.

did you just use the expression "elected dog catcher" in a sentence? how old are you? what time is matlock on?

Come on godthedog, he sticks it to the Bush administration-by posting on a wrestling message board.

If it weren't for Marvin and Marney, he'd be the worst poster on the CE folder at the moment.

If it weren't for Marvin and Marney, he'd be the worst poster on the CE folder at the moment.

SuperJerk

... I like SuperJerk

Come on godthedog, he sticks it to the Bush administration-by posting on a wrestling message board.

What are you talking about? I've said a few times I don't think he's an evil guy and that he probably had good intentions as far as Iraq is concerned. I've also defended him when people have trotted out the cliched 'he's stupid' arguement.

Don't be hatin' Smitty.

RON PAUL!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Jesus Freaks on Coke

Marney isn't near the worst, and she's been away from the board, anyway.

Marney isn't near the worst, and she's been away from the board, anyway.

Naw dude, she's the worst. Not because she's conservative, either.

The Obama campaign should start running this on TV

That was great.

I'm running for dog catcher.

you would fuck them dogs up. the few dogs left would be screaming like those little cartoon cockroaches in the old raid commercials.

Another reason I really respect Mike Huckabee as a really great human being despite I have a completly different political world view: Huckabee Says Demonizing Obama `Fatal Mistake' for Republicans

For the GOP, I'd disagree. Their attack machine is the best hope they have IMO. I respect McCain, but he's looking more and more senile. In a generally positive campaign, Obama's charisma and youth will prevail. In a negative campaign, Obama looks like a hypocrite, and their are plenty of little things right wing PACs can use to insinuate Obama isn't patriotic and a "secret Muslim."

All I'm going to say to Marvin about the minimum wage is that his numbers and entire argument are based on the false premise that it's primarily teenagers who are on it.

And as far as me being such a shitty poster goes, I'm going to refute that with something I said earlier that everyone was SO SURE that I was just SO WRONG about...

2008electoralcollege.jpg

and compare it to something I just pulled off of cnn.com...

cnn_map_06192008.jpg

Doesn't seem quite so impossible now, does it?

Sen. Barack Obama is leading Sen. John McCain in the crucial swing states of Ohio, Pennsylvania and Florida, according to a new survey.

Obama lost the Democratic primary in Pennsylvania by 9 percentage points. But a Quinnipiac University poll released Wednesday shows him leading McCain by 12 points, 52 to 40 percent.

In Ohio, a state Obama lost to Sen. Hillary Clinton by 10 points in March, he's leading McCain 48 to 42 percent.

And in Florida, where he did not campaign this primary season and lost an unsanctioned Democratic contest, he leads McCain 47 to 43 percent.

The Ohio and Florida results are reversals from Quinnipiac polls published a month ago, when Clinton was still in the race and McCain led Obama in hypothetical match-ups.

In the waning days of her campaign, Clinton argued to voters and superdelegates that she should be the nominee because she was the stronger candidate to beat McCain in these swing states during the general election.

Democrats in all three swing states say they'd like to see her on the ballot this fall, but independent voters give the idea a thumbs-down by margins of 9 to 16 percent.

Florida clinched the presidency for George W. Bush in 2000, and Ohio did the same in 2004.

Quinnipiac surveyed between 1,300 and 1,500 voters in each state June 9-16. The polls had margins of error of plus or minus 2.5 percentage points for Pennsylvania and 2.6 percentage points for Ohio and Florida.

If the swing state momentum for Obama catches on all over the country, there may be a new electoral map.

The latest CNN national poll, conducted by the Opinion Research Corporation, shows Obama running strongest in the West -- and not just California.

"The 10 Rocky Mountain states have been traditionally the most Republican part of the country. So that's why it's so amazing that the polls show Obama doing well out here," said Bob Loevy, a political science professor at Colorado College.

Nevada, New Mexico and Colorado, three Western states that Bush carried by narrow margins in 2004, now look vulnerable to a Democratic takeover, even though they all border McCain's Arizona.

So what's behind the change?

"In the upper-class suburbs of Denver that used to be so solidly Republican, a lot of aspects of the Bush administration have not played well there," Loevy said. "His war policies, his policies on abortion, gay marriage ... simply have not played well with the old Republican Party out there in the Rocky Mountain west. So it's in the upscale suburbs that we see the strongest shift to the Democrats."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/18/swi...ref=mpstoryview

But don't take my word for it...HISTORIANS AGREE: McCAIN IS FUCKED...for a bunch of reasons I've already mentioned, of course.

All I'm going to say to Marvin about the minimum wage is that his numbers and entire argument are based on the false premise that it's primarily teenagers who are on it.

My source is 2 years old but it seems to be the most current available statistics from the Dept of Labor and I cant see it being too much different now.

Minimum wage workers tend to be young. About half of workers earning $5.15 or less were under age 25, and about one-fourth of workers earning at or below the minimum wage were age 16-19.

SOURCE: US Department of Labor

25% is a significant number for actual teenagers, and the under 25 category is half of minimum wage earners.

try again superjerk

I guess politicaly smart (if the story never got out) , but really really sad :(

What's wrong with that? I mean, really, let's break it down here:

1. There are still a lot of idiots who think Obama is a muslim

2. His political rivals have on occasion perpetuated that falsehood in an attempt to hurt him

3. Muslims are the single least popular religious group in this country, bar none

4. These two women decided that the best way to help their hero... would be to sit directly behind him, at a televised event, wearing burkhas

Seriously, do they not realize that the best way they could help Obama's image would've been just to stay home? Any possible video clip of two women in "Terrorist Clothing" sitting behind Obama and cheering him on would've been played on a loop on Fox all the way til election day.

Sign in to follow this