TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MikeJordan23

This Week in Baseball

Mark Bellhorn's first rehab AAA start:

0-5, 2 Ks.

Today: 0-3, 2 Ks.

Yep, he's back to where he was before the injury. If Graffanino gets benched for that schlub, I will be VERY upset.

Im remembering 2002 when the Os finished out the year 4-32 and I thought it could never get any worse than that, but I've realized it can and is as I type.

For starters the Os were in first place for 2 months, and now they are in 4th. They are on their way to 1-14 in their last 15, and they play 25 of their 28 games this month (already 0-1) vs teams with >.500 record, and the other 3 are vs Tampa Bay who swept the Os last month. No one is hitting with RISP, the pitchers can't get outs with RISP, the bullpen has been exhausted to the point where Maz has to leave starters in longer than they should (like tonight with Ponson giving up 8 runs in 5.1 innings and he's still in..well hes gone now after giving up that 8th run..

I could go on (Palmeiro, Roberts/Tejada slumping horribly, no significant trades made, etc) but its a pretty safe bet that the devil rays who are only 11 games behind the Os, could pass them before the month is up because I see no end to this collapse any time soon.

I can't imagine that there was any other team ever that led their division into june and then managed finish dead last...

I can't even bother to check it, maybe someone would..

Chong, Padilla has been pitching pretty great his past 5 starts.

Bobby Abreu is the one you shouldn't be letting play well. He sucks. He's a fraud. Look at him at his hollow numbers. Since July 5th, HE IS BATTING 0.200. HOME RUNS? Nope. Caught stealing when he does get on. The guy is all hype and hollow numbers, and beginning this season the idiots that support him are starting to notice it.

0.200 All Star in the month of July-August, what a Joke.

Padilla, on the other hand, going into the game against Clemens (Phils-Astros), had a 1.40 ERA in his last 3 games. He's getting better.

But of course tonight, he is amazing and the Phillies score ***ZERO*** runs *AT HOME* against, IMO, a very mediocre Cubs team.

When a reliever walks FOUR STRAIGHT GUYS with one out...with a rabid crowd...in the 9th...at home...and all you can manage is ONE RUN (that they gave to you), that's absolutely pathetic.

Chong, Padilla has been pitching pretty great his past 5 starts.

Bobby Abreu is the one you shouldn't be letting play well.  He sucks.  He's a fraud.  Look at him at his hollow numbers.  Since July 5th, HE IS BATTING 0.200.  HOME RUNS?  Nope.  Caught stealing when he does get on.  The guy is all hype and hollow numbers, and beginning this season the idiots that support him are starting to notice it.

0.200 All Star in the month of July-August, what a Joke.

Padilla, on the other hand, going into the game against Clemens (Phils-Astros), had a 1.40 ERA in his last 3 games.  He's getting better.

But of course tonight, he is amazing and the Phillies score ***ZERO*** runs *AT HOME* against, IMO, a very mediocre Cubs team.

When a reliever walks FOUR STRAIGHT GUYS with one out...with a rabid crowd...in the 9th...at home...and all you can manage is ONE RUN (that they gave to you), that's absolutely pathetic.

Guys like this are exactly the type of people I want in my fantasy league.

One season is barely enough to get a handle on a player's ability, let alone a month. The idea that a slump indicates a complete lack of ability is so stupid that it barely dignifies a response. It takes a real fraud to steal 30 bases, walk 100 times, drive in 100 runs, hit .300, etc.

As for Padilla, he's not that good. He's had a run of success because he stopped walking everybody, and he's gotten hit lucky. He's not as bad as he was earlier this year, but he is not going to keep up his post-All star ERA.

What the Phillies really need is a bat off the bench. If Thome does not return soon, the team should consider calling up either Jim Rushford or Shane Victorino. There's no reason a team with Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley up the middle needs three utility infielders. And if you've lost so much faith in Mike Lieberthal that you won't let him hit with the game on the line, take the plunge and see what Carlos Ruiz can do in the majors.

I said he's been pitching well his last 5 starts, did you miss that?

Abreu is hollow numbers. And this year he won't even reach .300. All downhill, sir. Those numbers won't be obtained you mentioned, just as, Abreu, seen as the "Phillies big star", will once again have them at .500 when the year ends.

I said he's been pitching well his last 5 starts, did you miss that?

Why, did I say something to indicate that I missed it?

Abreu is hollow numbers. And this year he won't even reach .300. All downhill, sir. Those numbers won't be obtained you mentioned, just as, Abreu, seen as the "Phillies big star", will once again have them at .500 when the year ends.

"Hollow numbers." Do you even comprehend what a statistic is? How do you not accumulate vastly impressive stats while not benefitting your club? Does Abreu stand at the plate in non-clutch situations and say "Hmm, I think I'll get a hit to spite all of these stupid fans and pad my numbers?" This defeatest attitude from the Philly fans is absolutely ridiculous. "Waa waa, the Phillies suck!!" You can't win every fucking game. Like being one of the top four teams in baseball is some sort of entitlement. It's not. It is something you earn. And when you don't win, you don't go out on some bitch-fest about how your best player sucks and how much of a fucking idiot you are for listening to Howard Eskin. You hold your head up and wait until next year. Why? Because it's a GAME.

Philly fans whine because none of their teams have won in over twenty years. I may regret this later, but I'm going to go ahead and say it. They can all kiss my ass. If your sports team not winning is the worst thing that could possibly happen to you, consider yourself blessed. In the meantime, if you are not going to appreciate the sport, get the fuck out of the stadium and give the real fan a better place to watch a game, because you sure as hell don't deserve it.

Ok, now that I have that out of the way, back to Abreu. I'm not going to debate this, because it is a complete waste of time. You are a waste of my time for producing two stupid, ignorant posts that I've already wasted twenty minutes of my life responding to.

The Philadelphia Eagles make moves to acquire great players. They have great ownership. They have a LEADER at the helm. They're also among the 2 best teams in the league. The city loves them.

Don't shit on Philly fans just because I, and the rest of them, and hating on the Phillies. Their ownership is NOT changing. Ed Wade isn't going anywhere. The team has NO pitching. NONE. Brett Myers is a decent third-in-rotation pitcher, and they're expecting him to be the ace now. Unbelievable. They did NOTHING at the deadline. They can't win on the road. Their big-contract stars like Thome and Bell are slumping, either due to injury or just not being very good.

Of course it takes effort to win a playoff spot. But the Phillies have shown no effort in many, many years. And it's pathetic.

I don't listen to Eskin, actually. I find his views too extreme. Similarly to how you probably view me. I've been hitting Phillies games up since 1989. I know the team, and I know when its time to dismantle a big-budget DUD and start over. Now is the time.

But if you want to continue to support the overrated "superstar" Bobby Abreu, as he strikes, strikes, strikes, strikes out over-and-over again, go for it. Enjoy the .500 season, with wins at home over sub .500 teams and getting swept by every decent contender.

I'm going to have to agree with UTSU about the Phillies ownership. That franchise is going nowhere until the current ownership sells the team, to Comcast or someone else. I doubt Montgomery and the rest of the owners want to fire Wade, they may just kick him upstairs into a "team president"-like position and hire a GM just to appease the fanbase, unless they want to see the fans go into their 1994-2002 -like state again.

I'll calm down and respond to this...

Don't shit on Philly fans just because I, and the rest of them, and hating on the Phillies. Their ownership is NOT changing. Ed Wade isn't going anywhere. The team has NO pitching. NONE. Brett Myers is a decent third-in-rotation pitcher, and they're expecting him to be the ace now. Unbelievable. They did NOTHING at the deadline. They can't win on the road. Their big-contract stars like Thome and Bell are slumping, either due to injury or just not being very good.

I believe the Phillies have seen an ace-mentality out of Brett Myers as he climbed the minors. He certainly has a bulldog mentality about him. In any case, Myers' improvement is real, and he's probably at least a number 2. Besides, all the ace means is that he starts game one in the Playoffs. Otherwise, it doesn't mean much.

There was not much the Phillies could do at the deadline. There are few premium pitchers available this offseason, and Ryan Howard was not going to net AJ Burnett, nor would the Marlins trade him to a division rival. So the option is either to make a desperation trade (Kip Wells for Ryan Howard perhaps), or stay the course and wait for better opportunities.

Gavin Floyd has shown improvements, and Cole Hamels is dominant if healthy. Then we have Ryan Madson who deserves an opportunity to start. That's a quad of pretty good pitchers, and none of them reach free agency until at least 2008. If two develop into solid starters, the team is in good shape.

I won't say the Phillies are run perfectly. They aren't, and Charlie Manuel can't manage his way out of a paper bag. But I see a few hints of optimism for this team. A group of talented young players, and regardless of what you might think about Abreu, he's certainly not a detriment.

I'm going to have to agree with UTSU about the Phillies ownership. That franchise is going nowhere until the current ownership sells the team, to Comcast or someone else. I doubt Montgomery and the rest of the owners want to fire Wade, they may just kick him upstairs into a "team president"-like position and hire a GM just to appease the fanbase, unless they want to see the fans go into their 1994-2002 -like state again.

I don't like the Phillies' leadership, but it could be worse. It's middle of the pack right now. I have seen somne absolute boobs win world championships lately though, so who knows?

I do wish they'd send more qulity players to Scranton.

I don't like the Phillies' leadership, but it could be worse. It's middle of the pack right now. I have seen somne absolute boobs win world championships lately though, so who knows?

Jeff Loria is a douchebag, but he didn't have a complete and utter moron making personnel decisions...

Like I said, it could be worse. There are things that annoy me with the big club, but our record in the draft has improved substantially the last 10 years. Remember Carlton Loewer, Wayne Gomes and Tyler Green?

They could've unloaded Abreu at the deadline (I'm not just using him because I don't like him). They could've traded Howard, as well. They could've sent Burrell packing. They could've unloaded Rollins. Three tradeable commities.

None of those three (besides Howard, who has a lot of promise, and is gonna probably be needed to replace Thome) have done anything in terms of helping the Phillies even make it to the playoffs.

Burrell's untradeable due to his contract. Rollins is tradeable, but then you've just opened a hole at shortstop, where there is nothing in the farm system. Howard's tradeable, but what would be an acceptable trade? I doubt the Phillies fans would have welcomed a Kip Wells.

I think the trading deadline has become overblown in general. It builds up false hopes and anguish in fans when in reality there's an impact trade maybe every few years. The Phillies have some internal options such as Eude Brito, Aquilino Lopez and Gavin Floyd on the pitching staff, and Shane Victorino and Carlos Ruiz amongst position players. The Phillies just acquired Aquilino Lopez via waivers, and I honestly believe he's better than any reliever traded by the deadline.

Rentaria delivers a LARIATOOOOOOOOOO~! to Manny in left, but he doesn't sell it correctly. Just Manny being Manny.

"I think the trading deadline has become overblown in general."

This I could agree with, as the trade deadline to many seems to be "WHY DIDNT WE DO ANYTHING, WE COULD HAVE FIXED EVERYTHING!" In the case of the Phillies, they've been doing the same with arguably the same/similar type lineup/players every year, so I think the "FIX IT NOW (or at least try!) AT THE DEADLINE!" argument has some merit to the suffering fans.

This "Jerome Williams" pitcher for the Cubs sure looks a lot like SNL's Tracy Morgan.

Ugh the homeplate ump steals the game from the A's in the 9th. Jacque Jones was called out on a 3-2 pitch with one out. It was borderline and Jones complained. Next batter Justin Morneu takes a 3-2 pitch almost RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE and the ump calls it a ball. Horseshit. Next batter, Lew Ford double, winning run scores. There was even a little controversy with the play at the plate but it was tough to tell from any angle if Jason Kendall did tag Monreu before he reach the plate. What a weak way to end a winning streak.

There would be many broken items in my house if I had watched the end of the game instead of listening to it. But thanks to Ron Santo's reaction to Barrett throwing away the game, I was laughing too hard to get mad.