TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Skywarp!

311 - Don't Tread On Me

Before I get shit on again for making another 311 topic in this folder, I know there's a couple of fans on here, so I'll just quickly point them to http://www.myspace.com/311 where they can listen to the entire album to be released August 16.

Pardon the interruption. This folder can now return to regularly scheduled metal appreciation and Weezer dissing threads.

I am attending the 311 concerts on August 21st and August 24th. They're my favorite band. Fuck the naysayers in here.

I think this album's gonna illustrate some amazing, diverse sounds.

Frolic Room and Speak Easy are great tracks, thus far.

They explain their songs in-depth at 311.com. I can't link to the exact page, since the entire site is dominated by Flash to the point that individual pages don't have true URLs. Go to Media > Discography. It looks like Martinez has really stepped on on this album, not just with performances, but with major song writing credits as well. It should be an interesting listen.

One great fact: "Long for the Flowers" is a retooled "Transistor" outtake that was called "Grifters". That old outtake was leaked to the net a while ago, so it will be interesting to see what a Trans-era track, dusted off and retooled, has become.

Zack I as well as you will be at the Aug 19 311 show and am very excited for it. I haven't seem them since November 2003. I will be attending a Chimaira/All that reamains show the following night in Providence incase anyone is attending that as well.

I love Papa Roach. I'm not complaining.

I've never seen 311, as long as I've always liked them. My cousin saw them back during the heyday of the "blue" album on a bill with No Doubt and Goldfinger in Providence, which was like $10 for the three bands, and said it was one of the best shows he had ever seen.

I saw 311 live at the 2004 Warped Tour. They used to be one of my favorite bands, but ever since Soundsystem, their music has gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay downhill. It's not bad, but it's nowhere near as good as Soundsystem, Transistor, the blue album, etc. before it.

Seen 'em a few times in New Orleans (Never on 3/11 Day, though), most recently at I think the '03 Voodoo Fest, or one of those things. It was especially interesting because on one stage, it was Sum 41, Down, Garbage, No Doubt, and 311. Phil went all crazy when the crowd wasn't stabbing each other, I guess, and sort of ranted about he wasn't going to hop up and down and shit.

Always good when you've got a bill that contains one act that doesn't go with the other/the fans probably won't get along.

I might see 311 later in August in Atlanta, but I'm not sure yet. I'll get the album, though, in all likelihood.

I was into their early stuff in the mid to late 90s (Music, Grassroots, blue album were all tits) but once they started experimenting with their style a lil much they went downhill. From Chaos was ok but they need a strong follow up to that to get me back into their stuff. With that said, I'll give it a listen.....

Well I gave it a listen, and I wasnt impressed at all. Recommended to skip this one, there is nothing groundbreaking on this album AT ALL.

I just got back from Costa Rica, so I haven't had a chance to buy the damn thing yet.  Probably tomorrow.

I don't honestly know why, but when I read that, it reminded me of that Seinfeld line

"Who goes to South America???"

"People. Are you impguning a continent?"

"Yes. I'm impugning a continent"

"SOuth America? What kinda stowblough did you hook us up with?"

Yes, I'm aware Costa Rica is in Central America, bordering Panama to the south and Nicaragua to the North.

Just my 1/50th of a dollar.

Well I gave it a listen, and I wasnt impressed at all. Recommended to skip this one, there is nothing groundbreaking on this album AT ALL.

I finally listened to it, and I have to say that this may be a "placeholder" album just to tide us over. However, there are some really good spots in here. I really like how out-there "Waiting" is for them--it's almost "Blondie"-sounding.

I think it may be a grower.

Does the title track sound a WHOLE lot like 'Amber' to anyone else?

I don't think it sounds like "Amber", but I do think the vocal melody to the chorus sounds a lot like a Blue Album b-side called "Next". That's probably where they pulled it from.