TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spman

360 Prices announced

So the hard drive is optional?

Meaning games don't need to utilize it?

Wow. They fucked that up.

Guest Vitamin X

I thought they said the hard drive was going to come standard? I'm so confused!!

I thought they said the hard drive was going to come standard? I'm so confused!!

I thought wireless controllers were standard too, but you get wired controllers for $299.

Heck, everyone thought HD cables would be standard, but for $299 you only get regular RCA cables.

I smell a ton of pissed off Kids on Christmas morning. Their parents rush out on Black Friday, wanting to buy their kids a 360. They are faced with a decision..the $300 or $400..they get the $300 one, thinking, "its all the same".

Bahaha.

Im over here laughing my ass off at the mental image of a 12 year old brat kid throwing a fit over getting the $300 model for Christmas.

So if I just want to hook it up to my TV and sit on my bed and play X-Box 360 games and then save them to play later......which version do I need? I'm not getting online or doing any of that crap. Just playing the video games.

Doesn't it have memory cards this time? Can you buy the 299 version and then buy an HD to put in later?

So if I just want to hook it up to my TV and sit on my bed and play X-Box 360 games and then save them to play later......which version do I need? I'm not getting online or doing any of that crap. Just playing the video games.

Doesn't it have memory cards this time? Can you buy the 299 version and then buy an HD to put in later?

If you buy the 299 version, you will need to buy a memory card to save, and the HD can be bought seperately for 99.99.

If you buy the 299 version, you will need to buy a memory card to save, and the HD can be bought seperately for 99.99.

Well that's good. I can save some money at that moment and buy the HD later if I think I really need it.

I'm still debating if I want to get it. If I do, I'll get the premium package or whatever it's called. Of course, since everyone's preorders are filled I'll have to pray I get off work enough to go to Best Buy or Circuit City and be far enough up in line to get one of thiers.

Aren't the memory cards about $40 anyway? To me it makes sense to just go all the way and get the HD since the MC's are so much also.

As for me, I'll be passing on the Xbox 360 for quite some time. The PSP, DS, and then whichever of the other new systems comes out first will hold me for the time being.

Now that I think about it, I guess I can't blame you. If you do it your way you can have the system, MC, and even a game for the price of the $399 setup.

I'm not putting a damn nickel down until I have a confirmed starting lineup for the US, official word on X-Box backwards compatibility (they've been jerkng us around for about 4 months with it already), and whether the HD is going to be essential or just a useless hunk of junk you attach to the system. If it's just going to be for FFXI and MMORPGs in general, screw it.

You're not just paying 100 bucks for the hard drive.

You also get wireless controller, remote, headset, XBL Gold, etc--you're getting gyped for 300 bucks, frankly.

I'll hold off for 1st price drop. It's a shame MS was so piss-poor with special promotions for the XB, though (Tetris World and Star Wars Clone Wars? Gee...*yawn*).

I'm not putting a damn nickel down until I have a confirmed starting lineup for the US, official word on X-Box backwards compatibility (they've been jerkng us around for about 4 months with it already), and whether the HD is going to be essential or just a useless hunk of junk you attach to the system.  If it's just going to be for FFXI and MMORPGs in general, screw it.

Quoted for truth.

I think it's a bit stupid because some people won't know the facts about each system. I liked how the HD was standard in each XBox.

I think Nintendo may have a chance at winning the next round of console wars.

I think Nintendo may have a chance at winning the next round of console wars.

If they somehow get a massive outpouring of third-party support..heh.

I have a feeling it'll be Sony again. Just because some people are too caught into their stupid little brand wars to buy anything else..

its not even brand loyalty at this point, Sony offers more for your dollar compared to Nintendo (who haven't even fucking put out specs on their controllers for the next system yet), and MS, who might have just fucked up what momentum they had by offering multi-tier systems... they should have just gone all out and called it good.

If by "more for your dollar" you mean a system that craps out in 6 months.

The PS3 has nothing to offer right now except probably the best 3rd party support.

The controller is awful

online play will most certainly be inferior to the 360

PS2/PS1 controllers and accessories won't work with it (no word if PS2/PS1 games can be saved on memory sticks, but most certainly you can kiss any data on your old cards goodbye if you trade in your PS2)

Sony's is going totally willy-nilly about the harddrive. "Maybe it will be used for games, maybe not" is the official position right now.

It's going to cost a metric assload.

The PS3 will likely be an overrated POS piece of hardware...that will get the best 3rd party support anyway...

Sony is going to be the most expensive system is it not?

Kutaragi basically said so.

Guess it's fact-clearing time again.

First of all, some clearing up on PS3:

The controllers have been sent back to the drawing board since E3. What you saw there was not near a final design. Keep in mind that the E3 appearance was practically a last minute move to try and piss on Microsoft's fire as much as they could, as the whole week prior had been theirs media-wise with 360 leak pictures making the rounds and getting people's attention.

They've said PS3 will be expensive, alluding to something around $500. They said the same thing about PS2. They may or may not be right on this one, but one of Sony's PR tricks is to trump up the quality, features, and price of their technology and then actually release it at a much more sane price than what they originally estimated it at being worth. This gives consumers a feeling like they're getting a great bargain.

Next, X360 and hard drive:

The hard drive isn't really necessary on the 360. The only occasions you will need a hard drive is this:

A) Backwards compatability

B) Xbox Live

C) Custom soundtracks/CD Ripping

First of all, backwards compatability is pretty vague right now and is guaranteed to not work on all games anyway. You may decide after final details are released that you don't need it after all. I know I don't need it right now, since I've only used the backward compatability of my PS2 maybe 5 times total.

Second is Xbox Live downloads. Memory Cards are 64MB this time, which can hold a fairly good amount of stuff. However, in the event that the Halo 2 Map Pack spawns similar expansions for other games, and you want to use them, you're probably going to want something with more room.

Finally, custom soundtracks. God knows if developers will ever use these things to their fullest potential anyway. You can also rip CDs to the hard drive to play elsewhere, but how many people do that? The only interesting reason to play music on the X360 right now is the lightsynth, which is being devleoped by the guy that made the Atari Jaguar one and others, and is generally recognized as being one of the best lightsynth programmers around. However, if you don't care about trippy colors and wavelenghts appearing on your TV in coordination to music, then this isn't so important.

The current Xbox uses the hard drive as a Big-Ass Save Card and as a place to store common data for quick access to reduce save times. The X360 will use the hard drive as a Big-Ass Save Card and pre-requisite piece for backwards compatability.

Contrary to online rumors, the lack of a hard drive will not make X360 games load slower than a user who has a hard drive. The system has 512MB RAM which is plenty of cache and can be accessed faster than any hard drive could.

The controllers have been sent back to the drawing board since E3. What you saw there was not near a final design. Keep in mind that the E3 appearance was practically a last minute move to try and piss on Microsoft's fire as much as they could, as the whole week prior had been theirs media-wise with 360 leak pictures making the rounds and getting people's attention.

Source on "going back to the drawing board?"

Because I've searched for anything of the sort, and nothing has turned up. The closest thing to the sort was Sony saying that it wasn't the final design, which means it *may* change, not that it will.

Everybody knows that "not final" part. However, gamers know console manufacturers are notoriously stubborn. The PS3 controller we've been seeing since a few days before E3 is the controller that, right now, Sony is happy with. It's been in all of the promotional and concept designs they've shown since then. I don't think we'll see a redesign unless the system comes out, everybody hates it, and Sony then releases a wireless Dual Shock 2 clone with all of the extra features. Plus, it's the shape that concerns people more than anything, not lack of buttons or excessive bulk. I doubt Sony will care unless they feel the demand is there to milk people for another version. However, the design is almost exactly like a 3rd party PS1 pad I owned once upon a time, and I hated it.

The hard drive isn't really necessary on the 360. The only occasions you will need a hard drive is this:

A) Backwards compatability

B) Xbox Live

C) Custom soundtracks/CD Ripping

First of all, backwards compatability is pretty vague right now and is guaranteed to not work on all games anyway. You may decide after final details are released that you don't need it after all. I know I don't need it right now, since I've only used the backward compatability of my PS2 maybe 5 times total.

Isn't really necessary? If you're buying an X-Box 360, are an avid gamer, and want to play online, it is necessary. Owning X-Box without online play is a grandma owning a Hummer to drive to the grocery store and bingo hall and back. Why would anyone bother with one otherwise?

As for backwards compatibility, there have been no less than 3 different versions of it straight from Microsoft's mouth, so either they haven't made up their mind or are having difficulty making it work. However, the latest story they have is that it will require the hard drive, they're shooting for 100% compatibility, but out of the box "the most popular titles" will need to work.

The current Xbox uses the hard drive as a Big-Ass Save Card and as a place to store common data for quick access to reduce save times. The X360 will use the hard drive as a Big-Ass Save Card and pre-requisite piece for backwards compatability.

FFXI will require the hard drive, as will obviously a lot of similar MMORPGs. That's definite. That opens the door for developers to take greater advantage of the hard drive for games, but this tiered approach will cause them to be a little uncertain. I'd definitely bet we'll see more downloadable content, expansion packs, and the like.

They've said PS3 will be expensive, alluding to something around $500. They said the same thing about PS2. They may or may not be right on this one, but one of Sony's PR tricks is to trump up the quality, features, and price of their technology and then actually release it at a much more sane price than what they originally estimated it at being worth. This gives consumers a feeling like they're getting a great bargain.

Oh, $499 at the very least. It's a supercomputer, you know. It's 1000 times more powerful than the PS2 (probably at rendering white, unshaded polys, of course). It's a Blu-Ray player. It plays UM*cough*youdidn'thearthat!*cough*...

I hope they charge 600 dollars, MS subsequently delivers a huge pounding to them, and they're taken down about 10 pegs. Krazy Ken seems to have forgotten that a fantastic value (in actuality and not just appearance) is what made the PS1 such a huge success in the first place.

I have a PS2, GC, and X-Box. The X-Box gets the most play and the other 2 mostly collect dust.

I'm going to wait a while after all of these are launched to decide what i really want b/c I don't want to have dust collectors AGAIN.

The Gamecube section at my local blockbuster is by far the smallest section I've ever seen for a video game section and I just can't ever find a game on it that I'm really really interested in playing.

Maybe after I've graduated college and I have an actual career and I'm living on me own I'll buy all the systems and spend my days going to work all day and then coming home and gaming......that's my ultimate dream.

Because I've searched for anything of the sort, and nothing has turned up.  The closest thing to the sort was Sony saying that it wasn't the final design, which means it *may* change, not that it will.

Touche.

Isn't really necessary? If you're buying an X-Box 360, are an avid gamer, and want to play online, it is necessary.

No it's not. All you need to store to play online is your player profile, and that's a relatively small file that can easily fit on the 64MB memory card.

The only time it's "necessary" is if you plan to purchase a bunch of optional map packs or something, similar to the Halo 2 Map Pack downloads. Historically, the only games to bother using that function to any useful degree are several Microsoft first-party games.

Owning X-Box without online play is a grandma owning a Hummer to drive to the grocery store and bingo hall and back.  Why would anyone bother with one otherwise?

Bullshit, and with this quote you prove how ignorant to the market you really are. About a month ago they released a PR statement saying they had 2 million Xbox Live subscribers. In mid 2003, they announced they had sold 9.4 million Xboxes. That was two years ago, and Halo 2 alone has sold nearly 7 million units.

Live owners are a (comparatively) small minority in the big pie. I believe that's probably why online play feels like an afterthought in so many games (personally, I tried Burnout 3 and Halo 2, then said "screw this.")

FFXI will require the hard drive, as will obviously a lot of similar MMORPGs.

Oh? For what? MMORPGs are a breed of game where you want as much data as humanly possible to be stored on the server side of things. The more data you put in the hands of the player, it becomes exponentially easier to hack.

This is why playing Phantasy Star Online for Dreamcast could wipe out your memory card if you met the wrong jackass, but World of Warcraft never has that problem. It's practically in the bible of MMO, give the player as little stored data as possible.

That opens the door for developers to take greater advantage of the hard drive for games, but this tiered approach will cause them to be a little uncertain.

According to an online interview with J Allard some hours ago, they told developers a year ago that they were going to have to make games without the hard drive in mind.

Oh,  $499 at the very least.  It's a supercomputer, you know.  It's 1000 times more powerful than the PS2 (probably at rendering white, unshaded polys, of course).  It's a Blu-Ray player.  It plays UM*cough*youdidn'thearthat!*cough*...

Well, what I meant was how they chopped the price down by nearly $100 between Japanese and US launches, but anyway...

Krazy Ken seems to have forgotten that a fantastic value (in actuality and not just appearance) is what made the PS1 such a huge success in the first place.

The first Playstation launched at $300. :blink:

No it's not. All you need to store to play online is your player profile, and that's a relatively small file that can easily fit on the 64MB memory card.

The only time it's "necessary" is if you plan to purchase a bunch of optional map packs or something, similar to the Halo 2 Map Pack downloads. Historically, the only games to bother using that function to any useful degree are several Microsoft first-party games.

The "only" games to bother using it happen to include the best selling game X-Box ever had.

I think we have a problem with Microsoft's sketchy-at-best information, though. However, I'm going by this information from MS's website:

Every Xbox 360 owner is a Silver subscriber—just plug the Ethernet cable into your existing broadband connection and join a global community of more than two million members. Set up a Gamer Profile, visit the Xbox Live Marketplace, even send voice messages—and that's just the beginning. Upgrade to Xbox Live Gold service and experience multiplayer games and tournaments, intelligent matchmaking, voice communication via the Xbox 360 Headset, and much more.

It seems to be saying that Silver is only going to allow for stuff that's one-on-one--for example DoA4. However, for anything multiplayer, it seems you *need* Gold. However, between DoA4 and Halo 3/Perfect Dark--I think it's obvious which is going to be the bigger seller in the US.

Bullshit, and with this quote you prove how ignorant to the market you really are.

I'm well aware of the current market.

You're an expert?

Michael Pachter, of Wedbush Morgan Securities, wasn't as cheerful. He sees the $299 model as a "publicity stunt." "They're doing it to say they are launching at $299. The hardcore guys will absolutely not buy the $299 model...only a complete idiot would buy the $299 model."

Not my words, though.

Live owners are a (comparatively) small minority in the big pie.

Yet Sony and even Nintendo are putting a much stronger focus on online gaming in the next generation.

While broadband isn't expected to grow as much in the near future, the 360 should sell significantly better than the X-Box. MS is banking on Live as one of it's main competitive advantages, and both Sony are Nintendo are making online play a higher priority.

I don't see it as unfathomable for total 360's Gold members to equal or beat current Live customers within the next 4 years. I'd say it's inevitable.

The first Playstation launched at $300.

$100 less than the Saturn, their only competitor at the time, with better-looking games. In fact, the price was Sony's *only* reaction to Sega announcing their surprise launch. That's all they needed to say.

On a related note...

But what about gamers who aren't ready to jump into the next generation? Moore seems pleased with the current success of the original Xbox and doesn't see any price drop with the console. "We're selling all we can get [made]. Our biggest challenge is to meet demand in what is typically a very quiet time of year. So, no, I don't see any plans to change any pricing as we currently stand on the Xbox."

Well, so much for a $99 X-Box, but that's not too surprising considering they already sell 'em at a loss.

So if I understand you correctly JOTW instead of just owning a harddrive you'd rather buy multiple memory cards?....think about for a second. You might just have one memory card for awhile, but odds are you'll probably buy a 2nd or 3rd for whatever reason. The HD would be the best way to go.