TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hektik

London vs McMahon

Excerpt from the 8/29 Wrestling Observer Newsletter:

Vince has banned all acrobatic top rope moves such as the 450 splash and the shooting star press (but not the moonsault) after Juventud nearly injured London using the 450 on the 7/12 Smackdown from Worcester. The Vince/London discussion has become a major topic, and in fact, Kazarian was telling friends about it regarding his decision to leave.

When Vince banned the moves, London argued with him, saying thats the only way to get cruiserweights over because if they wrestle like everyone else, they can't get over. Vince made some comments about learning to work. That reminds of when 240 pound veteran wrestlers who have years of stardom "in the bank" knock 200 pound guys who have never gotten a push and try to innovate, and knock them saying they can't get over and saying they don't know how to work, like anyone will have any patience for unknown small guys doing slow paced matches.

London brought up that he was cruiserweight champion and Vince made it clear he could care less about the title. Evidently London did not get on Vince's good side, because the next thing you know, Nunzio is the champion and london was being turned heel doing a whiner gimmick, which was the kiss of death for him. There are wrestlers thinking he won't be around much longer.

Actually, I'm shocked Vince knew the title existed.

I wouldn't have been shocked if he said, "the WHAT title? What the hell is that, some local thing you won?"

If that was really how a London/Vince conversation about this went, that is REALLY sad. Not only is banning those top rope moves a complete and utter joke (because accidents happen - why not just not let Juvi do those two moves instead of ALL?) but a complete mistake anyway you look at it. Plus Vince saying the title means nothing to him - well if thats the case why not just release all of the cruiserweights and let them shine in TNA or ROH?

It amazes me that after reading this shit, that Knoble and Spanky have resigned. It sounds like the division is at a worse spot than it was when they were there before. For example, Juvi should and could be a viable contender to the CW title and Crazy/Psicosis could go in between CW matches and as contenders to the tag titles.

Instead we get Nunzio squashes on Velocity. Yay.

At least we know a name that will be among the next batch of releases.

So is there any word WHERE London is currently? Is he injured or is he just given the "nothing for him to do" line?

He apparently has a broken tailbone. Whether it's because Vince kicked his ass has not been confirmed.

In a few weeks:

"Paul London has parted ways with the WWE. We wish him the best of luck in the future"

I can see a more Kazarian like release... "Paul London has be released by the WWE. We wish him good luck as he learns to work down in Puerto Rico."

Guest *KNK*

You really need that money Spanky and Gibson? Having 30 minute classics in ROH and potential stardom in TNA isn't as good as a cushier check working 300 days a year working 6 minute matches.

They won't even have a dumping ground for them in a few weeks once Spike and Velocity part ways.

Guest *KNK*
I'd take 6 minute matches and a steady salary over 30 minute spotfests with a huge injury risk and a nothing salary.

Spotfest? Have you EVER watched a Gibson match? EVER?

Gibson's matches in ROH aren't spotfests...

Edit: nevermind I was beat to it...

Guest karlitoapple

Since Gibson's matches are not spotfests then this new rule to ban top rope moves shouldn't be a problem for him.

Guest *KNK*

This of course includes Benoit's head dive right? Not at all.

Benoit's free to do that. Benoit's not a cruiser.

It's not a top rope thing, it's a vince hates cruisers thing.

Gibson can work the heavyweight style, he's basically Chris Benoit Jr. He won't be affected all to much, it's the lack of focus and concern for the division that Gibson will receive, that disapoints me.

WWF/E has NEVER taken cruiserweights seriously. I mean, kudos to London for taking it to Vince but he should have known it would get nowhere.

London doesnt need WWE anyway. He could be TNA X Division champ or even ROH World Champ.

Guest deinly1

I knew something was up with London when I read here that Nunzio is the CW champ, after hearing that he clashed with Vince it looks like the end for PL.

It's a sad state of affairs when a cruiser cant even complain about his damn finisher being banned.:(

A month or 2 ago when London won the CW title I was actually excited about seeing him defending it, doing 450 splashes and backflip dropkicks every week on SD. Good thing Vince knows "business" and decided to cut the legs off the entire fucking division.

I have to quote the movie Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back on this one " Here's the pulse----- and here's your finger- FAR from the pulse jammed straight up your ASS!"

Guest JMA
Just get rid of the damn title already...

Agreed. Why have a title at all if you're going to do a half-ass job pushing it? This goes for the tag titles as well.

Guest RickyB

I wouldn't have thought it would affect London too much, I don't think Top Rope moves are THAT important for cruiserweights... although banning them altogether is a bit ott. Really I prefer to watch Cruiserweights go at it fast paced on the mat than taking to the air. I enjoy watching London's work on Velocity and it's a shame what's happened there, but I don't think losing top rope moves would hinder london too much because fast-paced mat work is what he's good at and he could easily get by and get over by working that style.

Guest RickyB

Actually, what's killed london off more than the style change is his new gimmick. At first he had a different look and a great high energy gimmick - now he looks like a random generic worker and has a whiner gimmick... though his mic work is good. Can't see him getting over now because he just blends in with everyone else :(