TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JHawk

Smarkdown comments

Do you guys realize that if we'd have had an actual show at Jacobs Field last night, we'd have probably been looking at an 11:30pm start time with that Indians-Tigers game?

Anyway, congratulations to Danny Williams on winning the World Title yet again. Maybe now we have a champion who will at least cut a promo once in a while.

:P

I gotta give the Hawke / Zyon segment a big thumbs up - way to build a good feud, loving it.

I'm curious what people thought of my match - it's the first match I've written with this purpose - In the past all my match writing has been as results for promo-feds

oh and

Dan-e?? I thought his last name was Williams :huh:

or is it Dan E. Williams ;)

erm - last time I did a more detailed view of it, but no one seemed to care and I was the only one, so is there a point to doing that?

Detailed reviews are always welcomed and, in fact, are encouraged. There are some people who only make major comments around PPV time (I tend to be guilty of this myself, actually), but they're definitely a good thing. How else do you improve without feedback?

I only skimmed your match, but I'll give a detailed review later on if you'd like.

Yeah I'd love some detailed feedback on my first shot at SWF glorah!!

and I'll give it another read and make some notes.

Detailed feedback it is - helps that I did a thorough read through earlier ;)

It’s Lockdown and we’re in Cleveland

But Cleveland sucks so they don’t get a national anthem, serves them right :P

Up first – well hey I open the show :D

-

Backstage Landon is up to all sorts of mischief – odds are good that it’ll involve a certain enemy that’s been chasing him

At least that’s what it looks like at the moment – Landon Mystery Theatre is sufficiently intriguing for me to want to read more

At least 2 more segments on it (what luck ;) )

But kidding aside it does set the stage very well for what happens at the end. Top notch angle work

-

Then I’m drunk backstage and insult anyone under 250… what was I thinking? Oh yeah I was drunk *blushes*

-

Interview time – the unfortunate Ben Hardy gets to interview Chris Card about TKO

Which in essence boils down to – TKO have been a team longer than anyone so they’ll whoop ass.

It’ll definitely set them apart that they seem to be a tag-team first and foremost and not so much individuals – everyone else seems to be the other way around.

Just be glad we don’t apply TKO logic and book them against the Bushwackers – 20 years plus babeee!!!

it also points out that we have ONE other regular team – which is true… but sad

-

TKO!! .. sorry it’s T!! K!! O!! now :D

Taking on the Cruiserweight champion JJ Johnson and the Hardcore Gamers champion Marcus Ward

Hello?? Yes Hardcore title.. that’s right they’re in there with 2 champs, not 1 – a slight oversight.

Now I’m not up on how heelish of a heel JJ Johnson or Marcus Ward is – but they must be über-moster-bad ass heels if they can get the fans to cheer for TKO…

And not a single “USA” Chant to be heard? Where did you guys find smark fans like that in Cleveland of all places?? I’ve been there, I’ve looked!!

JJ Johnson gets in some offence, in two separate sequences and holds his own in a non-sexual way ;) – but poor Marcus Ward, he was Duane Gill’ed big time in this match. Last time I saw squash that big it was at a fair and it won a ribbon of some sort.

I can’t deny that TKO has the style down, the high impact, in your face style that their profiles suggest and the match in general is pretty good. Just the squashing of Marcus Ward made it less enjoyable for me (not trying to start shit – I’m just personally a big fan of making the losing side look good in defeat whenever possible)

-

Skully fights Manson

And it seems they know each other from “way back when” – an interesting backstory that could be told one day, but may not.

The back and forth between Manson & Skull – talking as much as fighting made for a very different match, but it suited the story that was told.

The ending where Pete tells King that the match was won with a leg drop instead of the actual move confuses me… even now (but I am easily confused)

Enjoyable on the comedy match side – and the Skull is still undefeated!

-

Landon Mystery Theatre Part II

Another phone call – not for food, not for a hooker, so who is it for??

Stay tuned as the cliffhanger hands on the cliff!!

-

Up Next: Hawke is cheered?? Zyon is screwed?? Cleveland fans bathe??

Well 2 out of three happens

And it makes sense in many ways. Jay returns home and gets quite a surprising home town pop, but hey they need champions and Jay has the gold.

It actually made sense on reflection – damn you for making me have to think!

Zyon Vs Hawke – if Zyon loses he’ll lose the Genesis spot!! Will Hawke cheat? Will the plucky youngster win?

Yes and yes – but the cheating backfires as the Cleveland Athletic committee overreacts really badly to a pre-bell attack (I hate Cleveland!) and Hawke is disqualified! YAY for Zyon he gets the match

Buh for the fans – they’re stuck with Zyon taking down Martin Hunt in quick fashion. And yes Zyon you’re welcome, I softened him up for ya ;)

Leading to a good, emotional promo from Hawke – making me wish that Genesis was NOW and these two could just go at it no holds barred! But they can’t… yet.

But I’m hooked.

-

Up next – the giant and the Luchador. Does size matter? Will ELM be the little Lunchamadoor that could??

Sadly we will not know, not tonight as the match isn’t on. ELM jumps the big guy before the match but takes a powder when the big man fights back and breaks the flag

Did he not KNOW that Devon was this huge when he signed the contract?

-

Main event time – its crunch time as Johnny D has to prove all his detractors wrong and face the vet Danny Williams

Man is Danny from Cleveland? Well tonight he is while Johnny D is hated more than a French guy, and that’s saying something!

Danny is complete and utter dominant control early on, sending the now cowardly cheater Johnny scurrying more than once to get a break – he even tries running away but Dan-e! grabs him and drags his ass back to the ring for a continued beat down.

Proving that he’s not the designated Steve Lombardi of the match Johnny does take the advantage and tears into Danny. Great explanations of what’s going on, I mean I felt like I was in the ring looking at Danny getting torn apart by Dangerous for a very extended period.

Dangerous even tries to get himself disqualified – channelling the Honky Tonk Man’s best features, but the dickish move is ignored by the referee. Johnny D is really being written as a man driven to the edge of desperation by Danny Williams.

Shaking off the brutal beating – and landing nuts first on the top turnbuckle as well Danny springs to life!! And all it takes to finish off the man that’s been on office since then is a top rope power bomb – then what seems to be minutes later, the Axe Bomber

Not bad for a guy that’d been beaten like that side of beef in Rocky.

Danny NUMBA ONE!! – which is a new record, 4 eh?

A suitable celebration & mention of ELM (they also claimed was booked for Storm – I didn’t see it on the card??)

A good match, the crowd reaction in the beginning was excellent. If it had a bit more back and forth and not 3 distinct segments (1) Danny kicks ass 2) Dangerous kicks ass 3) Danny overcomes in the end) then it would have made it a superb way to finish the show.

-

Which isn’t finished – what’s this? new champ upstaged?

From Landon’s Hotel room – it’s Part Troi!!

Ben actually does get a scoop this time, holy crap :o and the mystery is unveiled

Landon Maddix, J.J. Johnson and Jay Hawke – “the Future” (that is their name right?) the latest 3 man stable sensation to hit SWF.

I guess it’s cause I’m not that familiar with JJ but it gave me a chuckle to see them call the CRUISERWEIGHT champion their enforcer, but I’m sure that’s just me not having a grip on JJJ

Great set up – good team combo

Name – well it’s to the point

I just wish it had been more of a “in the arena” promo or something, maybe even tie in to Landon’s long running feud.

--

Over all a good show thought, a really enjoyable read – Raw or Smackdown ain’t nothing compared to this ;)

Crimson Skull vs Manson should be nominated for comedy moment. That was AWESOME.

Oh, and for Bruce (and indeed Marcus Ward) - I apologise for rather pwning Ward in the tag match, but I found out on Sunday night that Card wasn't writing his half, so I just blasted it out. This mean that I got in all the moves and cheating I wanted to, and only then realised that I'd only allowed J3 to get in much offence. But I was stretched for time, so I left it. Sorry.

Sorry for the rushjob; neither Rando or I had much time to write this weekend.

Full comments later.

Congrats Danny. :)

A good match, the crowd reaction in the beginning was excellent. If it had a bit more back and forth and not 3 distinct segments (1) Danny kicks ass 2) Dangerous kicks ass 3) Danny overcomes in the end) then it would have made it a superb way to finish the show.

Not a fan of my turn, your turn. I prefer stuff like Hogan/Savage, Flair/Lugar..etc. I'd much rather have one guy control for a longish period to build drama and importance. You can't get behind somebody who's only in peril for less than a minute or rally behind face who only get's in one move at a time.

A couple more points for Bruce - Manson/Skull. See, Manson is a good writer but tends to no-show a fair bit. One time quite a while ago he was writing and ran out of time, so he made a quick ending where Manson used the power of MANSONOSITY to shoot laser beams out of his eyes and melt his opponent's head. Sadly his opponent wrote and won, but Suicide King made Manson post the match because he loved the ending so much.

Since then, MANSONOSITY has been the unfuckwithable force in the SWF. One n00b actually got to his knees and forfeited the match against Manson in fear of it (which can be what happens when you don't write against Manson).

Now, since you couldn't REALLY have a match where Manson melts the referee's head with his eye lasers, I think Sly just decided to have a laugh with his match and then have King wake up at the end having dreamed that, while Skull won in much more mundane form in 'real life'. And if that's not what actually happened I don't care, because The Crimson Skull is GREAT and Sly is my new God.

Not a fan of my turn, your turn.  I prefer stuff like Hogan/Savage, Flair/Lugar..etc.  I'd much rather have one guy control for a longish period to build drama and importance.  You can't get behind somebody who's only in peril for less than a minute or rally behind face who only get's in one move at a time.

Well I said ”a bit more back and forth”

Not to make the whole match a back and forth 3 moves here, 2 moves there – that’s not what I was advocating

I was talking about a mix of both – yeah have extended periods of a guy dominating of course, but I’d personally throw in sequences where it is back and forth in a more equal way with someone ending up with the upper hand. Or throw in a point during the dominant period where the face gets in a few shots to wake the crowd up and hope “oh this is it” only to have their hopes squashed by the bad guy for a bit longer.

You can have both, it’s the balance that makes the match really exciting IMO.

I hope that cleared up what I was trying to say?

Oh and the Skull / Manson match?

*Stands in even greater awe *

Thank you for explaining the extent of the awesomeness of that match – just made it even funnier.

For the record, Bruce, Danny has a very unique style (by which we mean he has a by-the-books style based on a promotion that nearly no one follows). We feel that it's very hard to pull off, which does not in and of itself make it "good" - in fact, there are times where he'll lose the match and some will say the match went over the marker's head where others will make the same comments you have about it not fitting within the standard North American formula, and in between there are valid criticisms of the way the match was constructed. Part of the problem, of course, is that our fed writers were largely reared on North American wrestling as opposed to the All Japan style Danny works with, and so we're conditioned to different things.

Of course, if we only marked to win that which we were conditioned to like, then the SWF would be full of three-minute TV squashes, spinebusters and backdrop suplexes.

Personally, as a marker, I think a formula is comforting, and using one doesn't necessarily make a match bad - Justice and Rule's epic tag team reign was entirely based on the Southern heel tag style, for example, and my character was essentially a chickenshit heel who nonetheless had skills a la Ric Flair. However, when a writer is able to skillfully go outside the North American formula, that deserves to be rewarded, not over and above a skillful use of formula but alongside it.

The short way of saying that is, hell of a job, Danno. You wrote a great match.

I was talking about a mix of both – yeah have extended periods of a guy dominating of course, but I’d personally throw in sequences where it is back and forth in a more equal way with someone ending up with the upper hand.

I understand what your saying but I actually strive to put that sort of thing in my matches. Here it's the opening, where Dangerous tries to outstrike Williams. I even tease Dangerous taking over with the kicks.

Or throw in a point during the dominant period where the face gets in a few shots to wake the crowd up and hope “oh this is it” only to have their hopes squashed by the bad guy for a bit longer.

I do that fairly often as well. Here it comes in the form of Williams hanging on to the ropes, the teased air strike, and the Powerbomb spot.

For the record, Bruce, Danny has a very unique style (by which we mean he has a by-the-books style based on a promotion that nearly no one follows).

Eh, for most of my matches since my return I've used Hogan's mid/late 80s t.v. face formula as a foundation.

The short way of saying that is, hell of a job, Danno. You wrote a great match.

Thanks and thanks to all for congratulations. Well it's been over 24 hours. thus far this reign has surpassed my prevoius reigns combined. :D

But how can you use Hogan's formula without Hogan's moves? Uber-face classics like the back rake and the thumb to the eye?

;)

For the record, Bruce, Danny has a very unique style (by which we mean he has a by-the-books style based on a promotion that nearly no one follows). We feel that it's very hard to pull off, which does not in and of itself make it "good" - in fact, there are times where he'll lose the match and some will say the match went over the marker's head where others will make the same comments you have about it not fitting within the standard North American formula, and in between there are valid criticisms of the way the match was constructed. Part of the problem, of course, is that our fed writers were largely reared on North American wrestling as opposed to the All Japan style Danny works with, and so we're conditioned to different things.
All Japan style? that'll teach me for only downloading the lightweight stuff, watching NJPW in the past and buying every FMW tape I can get my hands on

cause erm... well nope got no clue what sets the AJPW style apart from others :huh:

Being Danish and living in Denmark I've not been exposed only to the WWE/WCW stuff though, Lucha Libre is my favorite style but I've also seen quite a bit of European style wrestling (CWA in germany and British stuff) and a lot of US indies - going back to the Von Eric glory days of WCCW, USWA, GWF, ECW. (Sattelite TV used to be awesome!)

So I'd personally hate to see squashes and spine busters unless the spinebuster is done by Double A or Ron Simmons ;)

And Danny trust me I’m in no way trying to take away from your win – 4 times World champ says a hell of a lot about your writing skills, especially in an awesome fed like SWF it is an amazing accomplishment.

And if I ever face you… can I write you as having a skullet like Hogan? No?? dang!

All Japan style? that'll teach me for only downloading the lightweight stuff, watching NJPW in the past and buying every FMW tape I can get my hands on

cause erm... well nope got no clue what sets the AJPW style apart from others

All Japan heavies generaly had very little mat work, less emphasis on submissions and more on strikes, and at the company's peak they had more personality and clearer roles. More invovled and hotter crowds as well.

Recommened introduction viewing:

Misawa/Kawada/Kobashi vs. Jumbo/Taue/Fuchi 4/91

-Fantastic character work from everybody. Lots of classic moments from Kawada, in particular when he flips off Fuchi for trying to cheap shot him. The amazing thing is that this really isn't a top ten tag match from the company.

Kobashi/Kikuch vs. Kroffat/Furnas 5/92:

-The best Southern style tag ever. If this was any other company it would hands down be the greatest tag match ever but here it's barely a top five.

Hansen vs. Kawada 2/93

Hansen vs. Kobashi 7/93

Hansen vs. Akiyama 9/94

-Wild brawls. The first is more competitive while the other two have the natives playing inferior underdog roles.

I think I've got Hansen/Kobashi on the Best of Budokan that Card lent me. While i don't deny that AJPW heavies have some appeal, I'm still struggling to see past vaguely overweight guys hitting each other very hard in the face or dropping each other on their heads but occasionally going "AAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!" and no-selling it.

While i don't deny that AJPW heavies have some appeal, I'm still struggling to see past vaguely overweight guys hitting each other very hard in the face or dropping each other on their heads but occasionally going "AAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!" and no-selling it.

This really didn't start happening frequently until late 97 when the company's focus shifted from athletic complex work with well thought out story and character arcs to sluggish no selling wank fests.

Hansen vs. Akiyama in 1994? Damn, does it go over thirty seconds?

It's about ten minutes but it doesn't hurt the match at all. Better than most matches twice it's length.

I mainly asked cause I'm a curious kinda guy you know - I'll try and track some of it down and see if I like it or not

doesn't hurt that Stan is the Man! :D

Sign in to follow this