TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

Super busy day from Apple...

Apple had a big release day today.

First, they released iTunes 5.0, which streamlined the design and added some cool new features.

That's to go along with the new...iTunes phone, that holds up to 100 songs...right on your cell phone.

And last but not least, they introduced iPod Nano. 1000 songs, $199. It's the size of a pencil! Wow.

I know most are windows users and thus don't give a shit, but that's quite a triple shot of new technology in one day.

That iPod Nano is amazing. I'd get one if I didn't already have a regular iPod.

Christ, Apple's just got a liscence to print money with iPod and iTunes, don't they?

The Ipod Nano replaces the Ipod Mini, so if you want a cheap Ipod, the mini's should be selling cheap at places that still have them instock..

$250 for a 4GB flash player is rediculous though when you can get a 30 GB Ipod for $299.

Most, if not all of the iPods are on sale over at Amazon.  I'll probably order a 20GB Photo iPod before the night's over.  They're going for around $260.

Has that been going on for awhile or is this clearance to make way for the Nano and other apple products?

The price of a 20 gb iPod photo is always $269 with a valid student ID at participating apple stores or campus retail outlets. Apple offers educational discounts on all iPods, computers, and most software.

Not sure about the amazon prices.

In fact, I got my latest iPod (20 gb color photo) for $70 due to their student union plan (still ongoing). Buy a new computer, get a $179 credit toward the price of any iPod. Can't say I really came out ahead due to the price of the computer, but I never thought someone could get so many compliments on a computer as I have since I purchased it. (iMac G5, biggest screen size)

Yes, I am a total apple shill. Baaaa.

The phone is a piece of junk as well. The phone model itself has been out for a while (E398) and the only thing they added was the java app thats not even really Itunes (it looks like Itunes) and a flash card.

Plus, the max # of songs you can have is 100, no matter how big of a flash card you upgrade it with.

I didn't really care about the phone, but OMG some people are on the verge of falling all over themselves over what amounts to be a piece of crap..

I was about to plunk down the cash to get the 20GB from Amazon, but remembering that I could get a student discount from the Apple Store, I ordered from them and decided to upgrade to the 60GB. It'd take forever to fill, but I'd rather not cap myself on how much content I can put on there.

yeah the phone does look awful. Its obvious which of the two companies designed that.

I think i'd wait until there's an actual apple-designed iPod-phone, which numbers and a scroll wheel, which lets you buy songs straight from the phone, before even considering it.

So the iPod mini is now discontinued?? That really sucks, since I just bought a 6GB model about 5 months ago.

That black model looks sweet, though. Still, $50 difference from the 4GB model to the 20GB iPod? If it's memory you want then it's a no-brainer.

A 6GB model at the same price ($250) would be ideal IMO.

I installed iTunes 5.0 and when I was done my firewall asked me if I wanted some service called Bonjour to access the internet. It would seem iTunes 5.0 installs this program without asking.

Thought I should let everyone know. Research it for yourself, but anything that is installed without my permission and then attempts to subtlely access the interweb is not a good thing

EDIT: Okay, it's not entirely without asking, as it does appear in the "About iTunes" section (one of those multi page things that most people typically skip during install) when you install, but I still don't like the existence of this program on my computer, especially given the inability to uninstall it

Since I installed this version of iTunes it has now decided it will not run at all on my machine. I ran version 5 successfully a couple of times, now whenever I try to start it nothing happens. I've tried uninstalling it and re-installing it to see if that made any difference, but no, no it hasn't.

Not sure if it has anything to do with that bonjour program or not.

I was wondering if someone could help me with this iTunes question. When I want to import some songs from a CD to my library (AAC format) I figured since iTunes searches for the CD info (artist, album name, songs) it would also automatically assign the cover art for the CD but that doesn't seem to be the case. Instead I've been adding the illustrations manually. It's a very minor issue but MusicMatch does get the cover art and I thought this one would too. Do I still have to do it manually or is there some way iTunes will do it automatically? Thanks in advance.