TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
keith6601

Family Guy Switched

Fox has substituted one original episode of Family Guy for another on Sunday, the debut of its new fall season lineup that night, because the episode scheduled to air contained a “couple” references to a hurricane. “Out of sensitivity to what happened, we’re moving it back a couple weeks,” a Fox spokesman told B&C.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/C...y=Breaking+News

It's Family Guy, no matter how long they hold it off, people are going to complain.

Guest *KNK*

Oh yeah they are really fucking with Family Guy. They switched two episodes around.

yet people are acting like they moved it's timeslot and buried it on saturday night.

Guest JesusJuiced

If you go to TV.com and check the production numbers, FOX screw around with Family Guy's running order all the time. They even broadcast a season 1 episode mid-way through the second season, which must have been redubbed with Mila Kunis' voice.

At least Family Guy is self contained though, it's when FOX screw around with a show like House that a shows arc suffers.

I thought it started in May

Sort of....

When Fox brought Family Guy back, they only bought first run network rights for 13 episodes (Cartoon Network bought the first run cable rights to all 35 new episodes but can't show any episodes Fox buys the rights to for about a month).

When the new episodes did great in the ratings, they quickly exercised their clause to buy the first run network rights for the remaining 22 episodes.

So technically it's still two seasons.

I thought it started in May

Sort of....

When Fox brought Family Guy back, they only bought first run network rights for 13 episodes (Cartoon Network bought the first run cable rights to all 35 new episodes but can't show any episodes Fox buys the rights to for about a month).

When the new episodes did great in the ratings, they quickly exercised their clause to buy the first run network rights for the remaining 22 episodes.

So technically it's still two seasons.

So this was a 13-episode "season 3" that is coming out on DVD now? I don't know if I can afford to buy two short seasons on DVD (this and AD)

Guest JMA
It's Family Guy, no matter how long they hold it off, people are going to complain.

I don't really think that'll be the case. As long as there's a new episode, people won't mind.

So this was a 13-episode "season 3" that is coming out on DVD now? I don't know if I can afford to buy two short seasons on DVD (this and AD)

Sort of....

The Season three set will contain the third season AND the TV edit version of the three-part direct to DVD Family Guy movie (which were the final three episodes of the 13 episode third season and have yet to air on TV yet).

Fox has said that the set's SRP will be $40, which means that it will probably cost $25-$30 when it hits retail.....

I'm kind of pissed off at myself for not watching the show when it was originally on. I took too many people's word for it that it was an unfunny Simpson's clone. The kicker was when Kevin Smith knocked it in an episode of the "Clerks" cartoon.

Later, I caught a few episodes while channel surfing and was mildly amused. Then one of my friends showed me "When You Wish Upon a Weinstein", which had more laughs than Kevin Smith's last three movies combined.

What the hell's up Kevin Smith's ass anyways? Why bad-mouth the show like that, especially when it uses the exact same style of humor his own cartoon used?

I don't really think that'll be the case. As long as there's a new episode, people won't mind.

I don't mind them switching episodes. I meant people will complain about the hurricane references whenever they decide to air that show.

Guest JMA

I don't mind them switching episodes. I meant people will complain about the hurricane references whenever they decide to air that show.

Ah. Understood.

Speaking of Kevin Smith knocking on Seth, the other day I checked the Family Guy article on Wikipedia for the fuck of it, and I didn't know Seth was apparently reviled in the animation community

Criticism from peers

Many shows and writers have been openly critical of Family Guy. Most famously, three blatant potshots have been featured in The Simpsons: in one episode Family Guy was referred to as "crude, low-brow programming", another featured Peter Griffin included in a group of Homer Simpson clones, and in yet another episode, Bart Simpson was insulted when somebody called him a "family guy". Numerous writers associated with The Simpsons, such as Al Jean, David X. Cohen, Matt Selman, Tim Long and Joel Cohen have insulted the show during public appearances and in interviews. Executive producer Mike Reiss, however, has said that he enjoys Family Guy and that other Simpsons creators dislike the show because they believe it's inappropriate for their children.

Clerks. director Kevin Smith and David Mandel, co-producer on Smith's short-lived Clerks animated series, have gone on record as Family Guy haters: in the final episode of their cartoon they included a scene in which a bad comedy writer consults a book entitled "How To Write Cartoons by Seth MacFarlane".

South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone cited a comparison to Family Guy as the most insulting thing a fan could ever say to them, comparing it to being kicked in the testicles.

The show's animation has also come under fire by Ren & Stimpy creator John Kricfalusi, who expressed concern over the fact that the current generation of aspiring animators will be negatively influenced by the animation present in Family Guy: "If you're a kid wanting to be a cartoonist today, and you're looking at Family Guy, you don't have to aim very high. You can draw Family Guy when you're ten years old."

While the show has an undeniably large and vocal fanbase, it is practically standard to hear the show used as a negative example by other comedy writers and animators. In addition, Family Guy was voted one of the top 10 worst shows in 2001 by Entertainment Weekly, ranking at number 2. In response Seth MacFarlane included a gag in "Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story" in which Stewie Griffin breaks the neck of an EW reporter. Furthermore, in the episode There's Something About Paulie, Peter Griffin uses a page of Entertainment Weekly as toilet paper when he sees that the roll is gone.

Yes, I suppose "Family Guy" isn't up to the wonderful animation standards of "South Park", the writing standards of Kevin Smith, or the family-friendliness of "The Simpsons".

Shit-fucking-Christ...what a bunch of goddamned hypocrites.

what was the Family Guy gag in the Clerks cartoon? I know they talked about it in the commentary, but I don't remember anything in the actual episodes

what was the Family Guy gag in the Clerks cartoon? I know they talked about it in the commentary, but I don't remember anything in the actual episodes

from the Wikipedia article:

Clerks. director Kevin Smith and David Mandel, co-producer on Smith's short-lived Clerks animated series, have gone on record as Family Guy haters: in the final episode of their cartoon they included a scene in which a bad comedy writer consults a book entitled "How To Write Cartoons by Seth MacFarlane".

It was the final episode (the one that rips off the Daffy Duck cartoon). Remember, this is the show which used the same gags IN EVERY EPISODE. I enjoyed the "Clerks" cartoon, but damn did they overuse their five good ideas in just 6 shows. Smith's got no room to talk.