TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Angle Mark

Raw rating

Guest *KNK*
It's ironic that people are pointing to John Cena "not being over" as the reason for RAW losing ratings to MNF when pretty much every NFL game that I watched on Sunday had at least one player doing the 'you can't see me' hand motion whenever they made a tackle, sack or big run.

You do realize "You Can't see Me" originated long before John Cena even laced his boots up right?

Besides, other people imitating him isn't really a measure of his "overness". (He is over. There's not arguement there)

Guest rawmvp

Haha. Football players have been doing that since John Cena realized he wanted to pursue pro-wrestling as a career.

I'm not saying he originated it... I'm saying that you're seeing it a hell of a lot more, those guys mimic wrestlers, especially ones that are "over" or popular... i'm sure someone did a crotch chop before the NWO and DX too...

I'm not going to get on Cena's case for these Raw ratings because these shows are essentially lame duck offerings. Even the most casual fan can tell they are tanking it until they get back on USA. One problem they are having is not having this tangible USA debut to promote (I'm assuming because Spike doesn't want WWE pimping USA). At least Smackdown built to the Friday debut show and announced things on TV ahead of time. I'm assuming they will have to mention something on the last Spike Raw.

The inherent problem with Cena right now is that there is really no tangible reason for his push other than his past raps on the mic that got him over. I mean his popularity never has had much to do with his mediocre wrestling ability...it was his wigger rap act. Yes it was a bush league, midcard gimmick but at least it was SOMETHING. Now he's not even doing his raps for heat, so really what does he have? Not much. His ring work is iffy and his mic work and character are 2nd rate Rock lite.

I don't get this whole "They are intentionally tanking it". Like, seriously, this is how its always been. They must've really hated Spike if they've been dogging it for this long.

*kicks sand on cabbageboy after destroying his sandcastle trying to catch a football*

Guest rawmvp

I see there are many smark categories. There is the angry smark, the asshole smark, the indifferent smark, the gullible smark, the jock smark, the smark in denial, and my favorite, the Canadian smark.

Just out of curiousity, who on the RAW roster WOULD be a draw?

Is there really anyone who you guys turn on Raw to see anymore?

Cena is the best option right and frankly the only face option they have. And if they have to turn to HBK then the well has officially run dry. Plus wasn't this week the first time Cena has really BEEN the focus of the show? And look what he gets stuck with, another stupid handicapped match.

Can-Smarks are the Smarkiest of all Smarks.

I believe Smark Digest gave Canada a ***** rating in terms of smart markery. It gave Japan ****1/2's, saying it wasn't quite as good as it was back in 1994. America was given ****, which clearly is overrating the States, but I guess that's what happens when so many people think it's the only country in the world.

Guest rawmvp

Well, if they didn't drop the ball on guys like Jericho, RVD, Booker T, Christian, and now Matt Hardy, they would've had a great chance at being legitimate draws.

Matt Hardy? You're kidding, right?

well considering that we watched video package highlights of Chris Masters' Master Lock Challenge.... no, I don't think he's kidding.... Hardy could have made them a lot of money and they were clueless as to how to capitalize on the anti-company, indie wrestling, disgruntled fired employee, loose-cannon part of his character... instead, they get their jollies every week jobbing him out repeatedly despite his pops...

yes, Hardy has flaws, a lot of those were made noticeable in this feud with Edge but there is more of an upside to pushing him as there is Snitsky or Chris Masters - just as there is for pushing Shelton Benjamin over Chris Masters or Kerwin White...

Cena is doing everything he can in the current wrestling environment. It is an uphill battle that most likely won't be won. Of course, his character being insipid is a bit of a problem, but Austin lost most of his zest well before the height of his popularity. Austin, however, wasn't nearly as pandering as Cena is now, so his characters freshness lasted a lot longer.

Debating drawing ability is abit fruitless, since nobody is a draw, and everybody is a draw.

Guest rawmvp

Nope. Matt Hardy had a great opportunity to become a main-eventer. But WWE fucked up the entire angle. Man, it had the potential to be one of the best angles EVER, but Stephanie and her monkeys had to come through and be consistent in everything they do -- consistently shitty.

well considering that we watched video package highlights of Chris Masters' Master Lock Challenge.... no, I don't think he's kidding.... Hardy could have made them a lot of money and they were clueless as to how to capitalize on the anti-company, indie wrestling, disgruntled fired employee, loose-cannon part of his character... instead, they get their jollies every week jobbing him out repeatedly despite his pops...

yes, Hardy has flaws, a lot of those were made noticeable in this feud with Edge but there is more of an upside to pushing him as there is Snitsky or Chris Masters - just as there is for pushing Shelton Benjamin over Chris Masters or Kerwin White...

Hardy could of been the next loose cannon but then they realized they he could'nt cut a promo so they made him a jobber?

Guest rawmvp

No, Vince just HAD to punish him for using the Internet to his advantage. Because that's not the WWE way.

Vince is so fucking stupid. He's just a dumb, mysogynistic punk who just got really lucky. I truly believe that.

Nope. Matt Hardy had a great opportunity to become a main-eventer. But WWE fucked up the entire angle. Man, it had the potential to be one of the best angles EVER, but Stephanie and her monkeys had to come through and be consistent in everything they do -- consistently shitty.

You honestly think Matt could retain whatever "overness" he gets from a better booked angle? I seriously doubt it, and I like Matt.

Rudo, just wondering but did you watch WCW circa early 2000? As in the Kevin Sullivan lame duck booking era. Because that's what this stuff is like right now, total lame duck tanked shows.

Thing is, it hasn't been like this in a very long while...not since the days of King Mabel have such awful, low caliber wrestlers gotten pushed so hard (Masters, Carlito, even Tomko). They are blatantly holding the big name talent off the show until moving back to USA and just pushing whatever jobber assholes they can think of to get by until then. That is what I mean about them tanking the shows. Maybe that isn't what they are meaning to do, rather the intent is to feature some newer talent, but the end result is that it looks like they are tanking it.

And yes, I do actually think the initial move to TNN marked the decline in WWE quality.

The WWE pushing a muscle head and a second generational wrestler (I wouldn't include Tomko in this, since his "push" was beating up Rosie and Hurricane, and jumping Cena and taking the pin) is nothing new. Infact, it's their M.O. As for Star Power... what Star Power? The only "star" that would differ from the norm is HHH.

People give the WWE too much credit if they think the bad shows are a way of getting back at SPIKE. The WWE doesn't need any motivation to make shit.

Hardy could of been the next loose cannon but then they realized they he could'nt cut a promo so they made him a jobber?

The angle was ruined before the bad promo from the moment Vince McMahon introduced him, Hardy exited a limo and shook Vince's hand. Hardy's delivery was very poor but the whole promo was bad and it wasn't the type of promo he should've cut. It should have been laced with references to internet smarks, indie promotions like ROH, his best friend, girlfriend and company wronging him.

The angle was ruined before the bad promo from the moment Vince McMahon introduced him, Hardy exited a limo and shook Vince's hand. Hardy's delivery was very poor but the whole promo was bad and it wasn't the type of promo he should've cut. It should have been laced with references to internet smarks, indie promotions like ROH, his best friend, girlfriend and company wronging him.

If Owen Hart went over HBK for the IC title, he'd be an instant main eventer!

WWE should of given Matt Hardy the angry raspy voice, a walking cane, and some smarky vocab.

That would be kind of funny. I always pushed for them to have part of Eugene's character to be an internet smark. It would be a way to play off of Eugene's wrestling savant act while poking fun at us.

I agree that WWE dropped the ball on Matt Hardy. He might not be a main event level player, but he could have been so much more than he is now. Ego got in the way of business, as usual, and Hardy is now the most popular jobber on the roster.