TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisMWaters

Small Review Of The Rey Mysterio Special Magazine

OK, recently I was bored at work, and since where I work is about a 2 minute walk from 7-Eleven, I decided to pick up the magazine "The Many Faces of Rey Mysterio", seeing it was only about 7 bucks.

It is a very interesting read, IMO. They talk about how Rey started in the business...how he went to school in the day and then wrestled at night...first under the name Colibri, then talk about how the transition went from Colibri (Spanish for Hummingbird) to Rey Misterio Jr. They also, for the benefit of fans who don't know, give a history about masked wrestling and how it drew it history from Aztek culture

They continue through his WCW career as well...and while not showing any pictures they DO mention how Rey was forced to unmask.

One pointless thing, but they added, was that they showed some of Rey's masks over the years. The open eyed ones, not the ones with the coverings like they had pictures of in the earlier part of the magazine.

They have an interview with Rey Rey in the book, then give a quick run-throug of his WWE career before mentioning Rey's "Top Ten Matches" in almost chronological order. They were:

1) vs. Psicosis: ECW-November To Remember 1995

2) vs. Dean Malenko: WCW-The Great American Bash 1996

3) vs. Eddie Guerrero: WCW-Halloween Havoc 1997

4) vs. Ultimo Dragon: WCW-String Stampede 1997

5) vs. Chavo Guerrero: WWE Smackdown-July 25, 2002

6) vs. Tajiri: WWE Smackdown, August 1, 2002

7) vs. Kurt Angle: WWE-Summerslam 2002

8) vs. Matt Hardy: WWE WrestleMania XIX

9) vs. Chavo Guerrero: WWE-The Great American Bash 2004

10)vs. Eddie Guerrero: WWE Judgment Day 2005

But what makes this magazine for me for some reason is that they interview Rey Misterio...or Rey Sr., as he's known now. Talking about his history in the business and life with Rey Rey. Though he does offer a scary thought about him being brough in to be a tag team with Mysterio.

They end the book other wrestlers singing his praises. The ones chosen were Rob Van Dam, Juventud Guerrera, Psicosis, Matt Hardy, Dean Malenko, Kurt Angle, and Tazz.

If just for the Rey Sr. interview, this book is pretty good.

What a fucking insult to his career, that match was barely like 5 minutes and he didn't even win. If anything that rematch in San Diego should have been here.

What a fucking insult to his career, that match was barely like 5 minutes and he didn't even win. If anything that rematch in San Diego should have been here.

Well, later on in the Magazine, Matt Hardy admits he likes the re-match better than the Mania match.

but to the WWE having your first match at WrestleMania is what you've been working towards your whole life. of course they're going to include it as one of the most important matches.

Aha.  The DVD's awesome and cheap.  Think I got it at Wal-Mart for 12.99.

Ah, but does it have an interview with Rey Sr.? And pictures of Rey Sr. with mask when he was wrestling?

That's what confirmed for me this was a buy, as until I got that mag I never saw anything of Rey Sr.

I am sorry but that list is a joke. There would be a few more WCW's on there if he was being honest. You aren't going to tell me that he and Liger or him and Blitzkrieg weren't higher than him and Chavo on that Smackdown or him and Matt Hardy.

I am sorry but that list is a joke.  There would be a few more WCW's on there if he was being honest.  You aren't going to tell me that he and Liger or him and Blitzkrieg weren't higher than him and Chavo on that Smackdown or him and Matt Hardy.

It's a WWE Magazine. What did you expect?

Hell, I'm surprised that there were more than 2 WCW matches on that list.

but to the WWE having your first match at WrestleMania is what you've been working towards your whole life. of course they're going to include it as one of the most important matches.

Good point.

Yeah, I remember seeing that and loving the SHIT out of it. Then they had a rematch the next night on Nitro that was not quite as good but still stole the show.

it was on In Demand a month or two ago...I didn't remember it originally as I wasn't into WCW in 1996 (I did see the PPV, though), but it definently made a pretty bland card watchable...