TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous A

Tom DeLay gets indicted

Tom DeLay was indicted today

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/LegalCenter...tory?id=1166840

By LARRY MARGASAK Associated Press Writer

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON Sep 28, 2005 — A Texas grand jury on Wednesday charged Rep. Tom DeLay and two political associates with conspiracy in a campaign finance scheme, forcing the House majority leader to temporarily relinquish his post.

DeLay was accused of a criminal conspiracy along with two associates, John Colyandro, former executive director of a Texas political action committee formed by DeLay, and Jim Ellis, who heads DeLay's national political committee.

"I have notified the speaker that I will temporarily step aside from my position as majority leader pursuant to rules of the House Republican Conference and the actions of the Travis County district attorney today," DeLay said.

The White House, meanwhile, called DeLay a "good ally," and said President Bush still considered DeLay a friend and effective leader in Congress.

GOP congressional officials said Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., will recommend that Rep. David Dreier of California step into those duties. Some of the duties may go to the GOP whip, Rep. Roy Blunt of Missouri. The Republican rank and file may meet as early as Wednesday night to act on Hastert's recommendation.

Criminal conspiracy is a state felony punishable by six months to two years in a state jail and a fine of up to $10,000. The potential two-year sentence forces DeLay to step down under House Republican rules.

At the White House, press secretary Scott McClellan said the president still considers DeLay "a good ally, a leader who we have worked closely with to get things done for the American people."

"I think the president's view is that we need to let the legal process work," McClellan said.

Discuss.

After the Columbine school shootings, Mr. DeLay suggested that the tragedy had occurred "because our school systems teach our children that they are nothing but glorified apes who have evolutionized out of some primordial mud.

Give him the chair.

I knew this guy would get indicted sooner or later.

I was expecting to come here and find a raging discussion of this issue, with Mike and Powerplay and others chiming in in defense of DeLay, but apparently this hasn't happened.

This folder is dead. I think we're all complicit.

The first time I ever heard of Tom DeLay was 10 years ago. He was shown on TV at a fundraiser trying to encourage big business to donate to the Republican Party. His line of reasoning was that businesses should only contribute to Republicans because Republicans were the only ones watching out for their interests. That told me everything I needed to know about him right there.

I was expecting to come here and find a raging discussion of this issue, with Mike and Powerplay and others chiming in in defense of DeLay, but apparently this hasn't happened.

Naw...Mike would be on here bitching about how Clinton simultaneously committed perjury, lying under oath, obstruction of justice, getting in the way of legal investigations, adultry, and cheating on his wife; any and all of which should be considered 100x worse that anything Tom DeLay and anyone he's ever met could ever dream of doing in a million lifetimes.

This folder is dead. I think we're all complicit.

Uh, fuck off. When have I ever defended Delay?

Perhaps we should consider your "STARTLING REBUTAL TO THE EVIDENCE AGAINST MUMIA".

fonz.jpg

In 1993, Hutchison and her team of attorney's - led by Dick DeGuerin, the $700-an-hour hotshot criminal lawyer and defender of Branch Dividian David Koresh - were fighting charges that she had abused her office as state treasurer. The evidence portrayed Hutchison as a termagant who verbally and physically abused her staff, including testimony that while in a tirade, she hit executive assistant Sharon Connally Ammann, the daughter of former governor John Connally, on the shoulder with a notebook binder. Another deputy had been Warren Idsal, the son-in-law of Hutchison's best friend and mentor, legendary ultra-right-wing Texan and Nixon adviser Anne Armstrong. She fired Idsal and later cited his removal as a threat to a frustrated staffer of her tough approach to personnel management. The evidence also showed she ordered a purge of backup computer tapes containing personal and political documents her executive staff produced for her. Conviction for the Nixon-like charges would have ruined her politically. Hutchison claimed the chief prosecutor, Travis County District Attorney Ronnie Earle, was part of a sinister conspiracy against her.

She was acquitted in February 1994, when Earle declined to proceed with the case. The jury selection had gone badly for Earle. Jurors were exposed to news media which was pressured, according to former Fort Worth Star-Telegram capitol reporter Joe Cutberth, to slant coverage in Hutchison's favor. Her own press secretary Dave Beckwith (former Dan Quayle spokesman), and Republican consultant Karl Rove (former Hutchison campaign manager and later top handler to George W. Bush) were heavily quoted spinning the tale of a politically motivated prosecutor. Finally, presiding judge John Onion refused to make a pretrial ruling on whether he would allow the incriminating tapes into evidence. Stripped of the certainty of using key evidence, the prosecution dropped the charges in the hope of starting over later before a less restrictive judge. Judge Onion outmaneuvered Earle, however. He swore in a jury and immediately ordered them to acquit Hutchison. She then proclaimed the forced verdict proof of her innocence.

http://www.famoustexans.com/kaybaileyhutchison.htm

When a case goes bad, the procurator always complains of getting a bad judge or jury. I'd say just deserts for a political hack.

This supposedly non-partisan Ronnie Earle boasted at a Democratic Fundrasiser that he would take down Tom Delay. Using the case to raise $102,000 for Democratic candidates if I'm not mistaken.

When a case goes bad, the procurator always complains of getting a bad judge or jury. I'd say just deserts for a political hack.

Yeah, when you don't have a rebuttal just spout some bullshit. Gold stars for YOU!

This supposedly non-partisan Ronnie Earle boasted at a Democratic Fundrasiser that he would take down Tom Delay. Using the case to raise $102,000 for Democratic candidates if I'm not mistaken.

He's not non-partisan, he's an *elected Democratic politician*.

A politician raising money in front of supporters?! Egads!

Here's what he said:

"This case is not just about Tom DeLay. If it isn't this Tom DeLay, it'll be another one, just like one bully replaces the one before.  This is a structural problem involving the combination of money and power. Money brings power and power corrupts."

Where does he say he's gonna "take down Delay"?

Here's what Earle said about his remarks:

"I'd speak to any group interested in honest and open government."

and

"I'd be happy to make that same speech at a Republican fund raiser," Earle said in discussing the fallout from this speech.

He is partisan, but you've failed to prove how his allegations are

Using the case to get $$$ at a partisan fundraiser isn't enough? I guess the crumbs from your cookies are getting in your eyes. But whatever. Lets just watch and wait. I believe Delay will get off.

BTW, the information going around on the Internet about Earle prosecuting Democrats is misleading. From what I understand, at the time of those prosecutions, Texas was a Democratic state, the Republican party was almost nonexistent, and the prosecutions were aimed at Conservative Democrats. Ronnie Earle was a member of the legislature before he ran for DA. He was brought in as a hack to enforce party discipline.