TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dark Age

When was the last **** match...

Maybe I have to see HBK/Angle again, but I didn't get into it much upon first viewing. As for Rey/Eddie from Smackdown, you give that a pay-per-view build and a sense of closure to that part of their angle, and you get something that goes above ****.

If I'm using ratings that are consistent with every match I've seen, I'm going to vote for the last **** match being Benoit/Orton from the night after Summerslam. There might be something in late 2004 that I may be missing, but it's not coming to me.

Guest MikeSC

They were referring to:

Considering that WWE hasn't had a ***** match since 1996, It's another short list of matches to hit **** and nothing in 2005 has touched **** yet, with Shawn/Angle WMXXI getting the low end of a ***1/2 rating.

Guest *KNK*
They were referring to:

Considering that WWE hasn't had a ***** match since 1996, It's another short list of matches to hit **** and nothing in 2005 has touched **** yet, with Shawn/Angle WMXXI getting the low end of a ***1/2 rating.

Yes, WWE 2005 hasn't had any thing touching **** with Shawn/Angle getting ***1/2 from me(I was citing my PERSONAL rating for the match that is the consensus pick here) I was clearly stating that 2005 hasn't had a ****+ match from WWE.

If you followed up on that, you will see that acknowledged that Guerrero/Lesnar was the last **** offering from WWE.

Here's a coherent argument for everyone, if you don't think Bret/Austin from WM 13 is five stars than you're a retard. Seriously, if that isn't a five star match, I don't know what from the WWF would be.

Guest MikeSC
They were referring to:

Yes, WWE 2005 hasn't had any thing touching **** with Shawn/Angle getting ***1/2 from me(I was citing my PERSONAL rating for the match that is the consensus pick here) I was clearly stating that 2005 hasn't had a ****+ match from WWE.

If you followed up on that, you will see that acknowledged that Guerrero/Lesnar was the last **** offering from WWE.

You were also pretty clearly stating that nothing since 1996 qualifies.

Guest *KNK*
They were referring to:

You were also pretty clearly stating that nothing since 1996 qualifies.

I said nothing since 1996 has hit *****, and that it's a short list of matches to hit ****+ since then. It's not really that hard to figure out.

Guest MikeSC

And people have mentioned several matches since 1996 that do qualify.

Even less hard to figure out.

The BEST matches in the past couple of years have been IMO:

Angle / Benoit RR 03

Guerrero / Lesnar NWO 04

HHH / HBK / Benoit WM XX

Benoit / Orton SS 04

Angle / Michaels WM XXI

Orton / Undertaker WM XXI

Benjamin / Michaels RAW

Cena / Layfield JD 05

Free feel to add.

To directly address the first post, IN MY OPINION, there are a few matches from WWE 2005 that have reached a level of ****+. Now, I'm not really one to rate a match with stars or the like (damn if I get the difference between **** and ****1/4), but I might go that route from time to time. So from this year, ****+ matches (from the best one down):

HBK vs Angle from WM21, I'll give ****3/4. Not a five * classic for me but still MOTY IMO.

Money In The Bank, ****1/2

Cena vs JBL from JDay

HBK vs Angle II, from Vengeance

Shelton vs HBK, Gold Rush Tourney

Rey vs Eddie, from some SD! I can't remember

HHH vs Batista, from Vengeance

I have not seen Unforgiven and No Mercy yet. HBK vs Angle III wasn't really upt ot snuff compared to these others listed.

Now, addressing KNK's statement that there are no ***** matches in WWE since 1996, I could name a few that I feel deserve that rating and deserve to be named classics, like:

Taker vs HBK, HIAC

Bret vs Austin, WMXIII

HHH vs Cactus, Rumble 2000

Austin vs Rock, WMX-7

Benoit vs Angle, Rumble 2003

HHH vs Benoit vs HBK, WMXX

And I also feel there are quite a few others from that time period (1997-2004) that can be considered ****+, but I won't list any.