TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in College Football 10/20 - 10/22

I flat out think Weis is the better coach than Willingham. Better game day coach, better recruiter.  Also Notre Dame is starting to get that confidence back, they haven't had since Lou Holtz.

Weis is a better recruiter? He's winning with Ty's players. Also he has had what, about 1/2 of a full recruiting period ever? To say he's a better recruiter is absurd. Ty brought in Notre Dame's top 3 recievers, their starting running back, and Brady Quinn. As a head coach he's coached 6 games. I believe he may turn out a better but he is far from proven. At least Ty has been to a Rose Bowl and a has had some actual success. Weis could turn out to be great, all I'm saying is 4-2 does not make you great or even better than your predecessor. It's too early to tell right now, maybe in a year or two we will know for sure.

The incoming class is probably Top 5, if not higher. Winning with Ty's players is a point for Weis. It also shows that the team had talent, Willingham didn't get the most out of the team. Ty's Rose Bowl trip was with a 8-3 Stanford team. That was a horrible year for the Pac 10. You're correct 6 games is too early to determine someone's career. I just feel really confident that Weis will bring Notre Dame back to a national power.

Kotz just broke out the old school sig and avatar, yeowch.

Who would have guessed 7 weeks ago that Michigan/Iowa would be a battle of unranked teams?

Me. Of course, I also recognize that the Big 10 is unbelievably overrated.

The Big 10 has the best depth of any conference in the country. We could see nine Bowl eligible teams.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Agreed. When almost the entire conference is bowl-eligible, that's not being overrated, that's being the best conference in the nation.

Pretty much every major conference has a bunch of teams on the path for being bowl eligible at this point, so it's not really that big of a feat for the Big 10. Especially considering that there's like a million bowls these days, and all you have to do is finish over .500 to get into one.

BYU 21 Notre Dame 20. Watch it happen. Watch me cry. Again. I'll be there to see it.

Upset special of the week:  Oregon State at UCLA.  The Bruins certainly haven't came to play in recent weeks, narrowly escaping inferior teams in Washington and WSU.  OSU is also not on UCLA's level of talent but unlike the two Wash. schools they have motivation, a win streak, confidence, and a chip on their shoulders.  After beating Cal they have got to be feeling great and Matt Moore is probably salivating at the opportunity to blow up on his former team and the coaches that gave up on him.  UCLA is letting bad teams hang and OSU is a team that can take advantage of that.    OSU 31 UCLA 27

Don't see this happening. Oregon State has no defense against the pass, so I expect Marcedes Lewis to have some nice numbers as well as Maurice Drew. Let's see Maurice Drew have 100+ rushing yards and 100+ receiving yards. It should be a fun game to watch, though.

I love when College Gameday's at a relevant campus like Texas, so that they can justifiably talk about the home school all the time.

It's almost like having Raw in Canada, in that they're just baiting the crowd constantly. Every five minutes, somebody's either taking a jab at Vince Young or saying that Texas is the only team that will end the year undefeated, or just something to fuck with the home crowd.

Guest MikeSC
Kotz just broke out the old school sig and avatar, yeowch.

Who would have guessed 7 weeks ago that Michigan/Iowa would be a battle of unranked teams?

Me. Of course, I also recognize that the Big 10 is unbelievably overrated.

The Big 10 has the best depth of any conference in the country. We could see nine Bowl eligible teams.

The SEC and ACC are both significantly better conferences. It's really not even close. The Big 10 is a clear-cut second tier conference, with no real power, just a large pool of piddling mediocrity. At this current rate, that conference will "deserve" a BCS bowl bid only slightly more than the Big East.

So Texas/Texas Tech at 230. I really want to watch it but I'm supposed to be at the OU game at 4. I told my friends to save me a seat b/c if the game is close then I'll be watching it and be late to the OU game. But if Texas is blowing them out I'll be at the OU game on time. What do you guys think? Late or on time?

Michigan State is about to get kicked out of the Top 25 by Northwestern. The Cats are up 42-7 in the third.

So now Northwestern can win the Big 10...christ.

Doesn't the Big Ten have like, six bowl bids each year? You don't even need to sniff the top of the standings to get into one, just break .500. What crap.

My picks are doing well so far, except for Virginia. What the hell kind of score is 7-5?

The Big 10 has seven available, but come on: the SEC and Big XII have eight apiece! Totally silly.

Virginia/UNC is an ugly defensive game. I don't like the looks of thing heading into the last five minutes, though UVA does have UNC pinned at the 5.

Yikes, I thought the SEC had six also, not eight. Even I think that's excessive.

How the fuck can a conference have 2/3 of itself in bowls and no one notices how fucked up it is?

The top 8 SEC teams are pretty good. Bama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee, South Carolina, and Vandy. Well those last two are only decent but that top 6 is a force to be reckoned with.

Prediction: by end of the year, the same media and fans who are saying "Texax Tech is overrated and are only unbeaten because their schedule sucks!" will be saying "undefeated Texas Tech is getting screwed from a change to play for the championship, the BCS sucks!".

Michigan is going to get owned next week against that now unstoppable juggernaut known as....Northwestern(!?).

The ACC can never be the best conf. in football though. There are just too many crappy jobbers like Duke, Wake, etc. It also doesn't help when teams like UNC go out of conf. and get assraped by U of L 69-14 (and then win a game 7-5).

The ACC is eerily similar in football and basketball. In basketball you have usually 3 good teams (Duke, UNC, and someone else like Maryland or Wake). In football they have Va Tech, FSU, and Miami. After that, just a bunch of JTTS.

The SEC is the best conference in football. The only jobbers are UK and the Miss schools. Even Vandy is pretty decent this year.

I have no problem with the BCS. I like the bowl system, and like the fact that the #1 and #2 teams get matched up so stuff like 1994 and 1997 don't happen.

You mean deserving #2 teams like FSU in '00, Nebraska in '01 or OU in '03... right?

EDIT: Also, OU last year