TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisMWaters

Top 10 Consoles According to G4 Fans

Guest ABOBO

People still play FF 7 and Tactics for a small example. SFA3 was better than Smash Brothers too. Your "no old system is played more than the N64" claim is silly without something to back it up. Personally I see more people breaking out NES's and SNES's than N64's. If roms are factored in and really, there's no reason they shouldn't be, SNES gets more play than N64.

People still play FF 7 and Tactics for a small example.  SFA3 was better than Smash Brothers too.  Your "no old system is played more than the N64" claim is silly without something to back it up.  Personally I see more people breaking out NES's and SNES's than N64's.  If roms are factored in and really, there's no reason they shouldn't be, SNES gets more play than N64.

I really wasn't counting roms. I just don't think games played on your computer count as "system" games.

And while Sony had more third party support, Nintendo itself and the second parties like Rare MORE than made up for it.

Yeah, I guess if you don't mind having only 3-4 good games a year.

People go back and play No Mercy or Revenge or Goldeneye or Mario Kart or Conker

Are these people too poor to get a new system? What poor souls are still playing multiplayer Conker on N64 when they could be playing XBox Conker multiplayer? Or any of those games when they could be playing Super Monkey Ball?

they don't however put in Virtua Fighter 2 or Romance of the Three Kingdoms 3 or aything else from the ps1

This is a guy who knows what he's talking about. Those games didn't exist on PS1, fool. VF2 was on Saturn and ROTK 3 was on SNES.

I know lots of people who to this day still plug in the 64 from time to time and play something. I know not a soul who puts on old ps1 games anymore.

Hi, I just turned off Dragon Warrior 7 about a hour ago. :)

Hint: The PS2 is backwards compatible.

RPGs (and classics like Suikoden I&II, FF7, FFT Star Ocean 2 and Valkyrie Profile can't just be dismissed out of hand) fighters, strategy games, niche games like Parappa and Mr. Driller and Intelligence Cube. The Resident Evils and the excellent first Silent Hill. An all time platforming classic in Castlevania: SOTN. Some excellent 3D shooters like Colony Wars and Twisted Metal 2. The things PS1 lacked were a really good 3D platformer (though I mantain the first Tomb Raider was an excellent game) racers (though Wipeout, Wipeout XL and Gran Tourismo are all the shit) and 1st-person shooters. All of which the N64 excelled at (I still think GoldenEye and Perfect Dark are overrated, though.) it's really a matter of personal preference.

N64 was a better 'party gaming' system, that's definitely true. Though me and some friends played the shit out of Tekken 3, Twisted Metal 2 and Bust a Move.

SNES has so many classic games in essentially every genre, it's going to be really tough to ever beat out, in my mind. Especially with all the great Japanese games being emulated over here, now.

PS2 with backwards compatibilty is the single best system ever.

N64 had like one really good game a year. The big games were classics but pretty much everything else sucked. PSX has good/great games from every genre. Comparing Smash Brothes to the library of PSX fighters is insane.

I understand that the Gameboy is probably hands down the best invention for video games ever. It's far and away the biggest selling system ever when you add up the different variations. Pretty well done actually, they repackage it different every few years and sell it all over again.

I could have probably nudged the 2600 onto my list in the 10 spot, it was a toss up really.

But SNES is without a doubt the greatest system ever, in my opinion anyway/

And to go further with what gwil said, no old system is played more than the N64. If people are getting together to play games and they aren't playing on the PS2, the X-Box, or the GC, then they are playing an N64. People go back and play No Mercy or Revenge or Goldeneye or Mario Kart or Conker, they don't however put in Virtua Fighter 2 or Romance of the Three Kingdoms 3 or aything else from the ps1. I know lots of people who to this day still plug in the 64 from time to time and play something. I know not a soul who puts on old ps1 games anymore.

Hey don't be bringing RotTK into this.

I still have my psx copy of V Wall of Fire, and my ps2 copies of VIII and X (9 was blech)

In fact that's the ONLY reason I still own a PS2, because for every other gaming need the xbox is superior to the ps2 right now, but it still cannot whet my appetite for RotTK :(

they don't however put in Virtua Fighter 2 or Romance of the Three Kingdoms 3 or aything else from the ps1

This is a guy who knows what he's talking about. Those games didn't exist on PS1, fool. VF2 was on Saturn and ROTK 3 was on SNES.

I know lots of people who to this day still plug in the 64 from time to time and play something. I know not a soul who puts on old ps1 games anymore.

Hi, I just turned off Dragon Warrior 7 about a hour ago. :)

There was a point when I was a really poor college student that the only psx game I still had was DW7

I don't even have a copy anymore, I was very disappointed by the end of the game (it really defeated the point of maxing out characters/classes cus there were no challenges near the end to make it worthwhile)

I do still have Persona and Persona 2 though, and I contend that those alone make the ps1 one of the best systems (But it's hard to separate it from the ps2, cus I play all my ps1 games on my ps2 anyway)

I still contemplate selling my insane ps1 rpg collection and my ps2 and my RotTK games, because I rarely play it anymore, I just enjoy most of my xbox games more (Shattered Union may be stemming my Turn-based strategy urges, we'll see)

Having N64 ANYWYWHERE on this list, let alone at #1 is completely rediculous. Time has not been kind to the Nintendo 64, and there is really no good reason to play it these days. Mario 64 deserves some credit for basically creating the generic Fetch Quest 3-D Platformer Genre which still exists today, and it wasn't a bad game either. Nearly everything else on the console are uninspired platformers completely derivitive of Mario 64, or Kart Racers all derivitive of Mario Kart 64.

The only original games worth playing on N64

1. Blast Corps

2. Mischief Makers

3. Star Fox 64

4. Paper Mario

5. Super Smash Brothers

Having N64 ANYWYWHERE on this list, let alone at #1 is completely rediculous. Time has not been kind to the Nintendo 64, and there is really no good reason to play it these days. Mario 64 deserves some credit for basically creating the generic Fetch Quest 3-D Platformer Genre which still exists today, and it wasn't a bad game either. Nearly everything else on the console are uninspired platformers completely derivitive of Mario 64, or Kart Racers all derivitive of Mario Kart 64.

1. Blast Corps

2. Mischief Makers

3. Star Fox 64

4. Paper Mario

5. Super Smash Brothers

What about "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time"?

You know, despite the fact that he can't seem to put together a coherent sentence, that N64 fanboy guy does have a point: the N64 does still get play nowadays, simply because the multiplayer games for the console are so good.

Let's be realistic - Special K mentioned a lot of games, but how many of those were really revolutionary at the time and how many are still played today? Wipeout XL? Star Ocean 2? There are some definite home runs (Resident Evil, Final Fantasy Tactics, Twisted Metal 2, Gran Turismo, Tekken 3, Castlevania: SOTN), but the rest of the expansive PS1 library has not aged gracefully. And if you put that list of PS1 games against the top N64 games - Mario 64, Zelda, Smash Bros., Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64, No Mercy - it doesn't really add up and it certainly doesn't overtake the N64 when you consider that Nintendo's offering was four player compatible out of the box.

The argument for the N64 is quality over quantity and, even though the PS1 had a gazillion games that came out for it, it wasn't quite as balanced as history remembers it.

If I had to do a list, I'd rank as follows:

1. Playstation 2

2. SNES

3. NES

4. Dreamcast

5. Nintendo 64

6. Game Boy

7. Xbox

8. Playstation

9. Sega Genesis

10. Gamecube

I guess i might as well make my list...no handhelds cus I've never been a handheld type of gamer, just not my interest.

1. SNES

2. X-box

3. Dreamcast

4. Sega Genesis

5. Playstation 2

6. NES

7. Playstation

8. Turbo Graphix 16

9. N64

10. Saturn

That's how I see it, i'm gonna catch a lot of flack for putting the X-box up so high, but ever since I've gotten my x-box it's really rekindled my interest in gaming in so many ways, similar to my snes. I really love some of the variety of games I get on it and more importantly the POLISH that so many of the games have, that just doesn't really come off when I play 90% of the ps2 games.

I guess it'd be hard to understand if you've never played Otogi, Phantom Dust, Any xbox version of multiple platform games, etc.

4hart's blatant fanboyism (or delusional opinions) is undefendable...but...

Having N64 ANYWYWHERE on this list, let alone at #1 is completely rediculous.

uz spl chk plz.

Time has not been kind to the Nintendo 64, and there is really no good reason to play it these days.

A silly thing to say, because virtually every system in existence has at least one good game, and the N64 isn't exactly in VB/32x territory or lacking quality titles, or in 2600 areas of obsolescence, either.

Mario 64 deserves some credit for basically creating the generic Fetch Quest 3-D Platformer Genre which still exists today, and it wasn't a bad game either.

It was *the* game that made the critics eat crow 10 years ago, and yes, it has been since surpassed, but so has SMB, and it's still considered a timeless classic. Nostalgia can make it seem better than it really is, but the actual tasks to obtain the stars involved plenty of fun missions, rather than pointlessly collecting 1000 baubles per stage. It does plenty of things right that its progeny have missed out on.

Nearly everything else on the console are uninspired platformers completely derivitive of Mario 64, or Kart Racers all derivitive of Mario Kart 64.

If you want to argue the Banjos, CVs, Conker, etc are virtually indistinguishable from Mario 64, there's no point trying to argue with you, because you're utterly clueless. But you're also presenting a very skewed viewpoint of the system's library.

I wonder if F-Zero X counts as a kart racer indistinguishable from Mario Kart? How about the best version of Ridge Racer out until the PSP version?

You forget it had the greatest number of quality First Person Shooters at the same save for PCs. Goldeneye, TWINE, the Turoks, Perfect Dark, the Doom upgrade, and the obligatory Quake and Hexen as well (which were superior to the PS1 versions graphically, IIRC).

Plus there's the two Zelda games, and several excellent wrestling games, which several people in these forums had gotten the system at least partially for.

1. Blast Corps

2. Mischief Makers

3. Star Fox 64

4. Paper Mario

5. Super Smash Brothers

"Original" would be used somewhat liberally with Paper Mario, Smash Bros, and VERY MUCH SO with Star Fox 64. There are other original games worth playing, though, although I admit most of the best N64 games are sequels/upgrades, but so are most of GBA's and GC's--that's par for the course with Nintendo.

there is really no good reason to play it these days

So you admit there *are* *at least* 5 good reasons, presumably more. Your arguments could use some work. Objectively, the N64 is a good system system, but the SNES has the most depth out of any of the Nintendo game libraries. The NES benefits quite a bit from nostalgia; the N64 may have just as many or more better games, but just about everyone here can name a dozen or more NES classics, which may be more difficult to cull from memory on N64. However, I do think it is somewhat silly to put it at number one over other Nintendo systems, and certainly it shouldn't be in the top 5 overall.

SFA3 was better than Smash Brothers too. Your "no old system is played more than the N64" claim is silly without something to back it up. Personally I see more people breaking out NES's and SNES's than N64's. If roms are factored in and really, there's no reason they shouldn't be, SNES gets more play than N64.

Much better, but SFA3 can't really be directly compared to SSB. However, SFA3 was a technically limited port with tons and tons of extras. SSB has its tournament community, one that's pretty large from my understanding. I'm sure more ROMs are used for NES and SNES games, because they're a less difficult to obtain than N64 ones, honestly. However, I know I play my SNES more than the N64 overall.

You know, despite the fact that he can't seem to put together a coherent sentence, that N64 fanboy guy does have a point: the N64 does still get play nowadays, simply because the multiplayer games for the console are so good.

Let's be realistic - Special K mentioned a lot of games, but how many of those were really revolutionary at the time and how many are still played today?  Wipeout XL?  Star Ocean 2?  There are some definite home runs (Resident Evil, Final Fantasy Tactics, Twisted Metal 2, Gran Turismo, Tekken 3, Castlevania: SOTN), but the rest of the expansive PS1 library has not aged gracefully.  And if you put that list of PS1 games against the top N64 games - Mario 64, Zelda, Smash Bros., Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64, No Mercy - it doesn't really add up and it certainly doesn't overtake the N64 when you consider that Nintendo's offering was four player compatible out of the box.

The argument for the N64 is quality over quantity and, even though the PS1 had a gazillion games that came out for it, it wasn't quite as balanced as history remembers it.

If I had to do a list, I'd rank as follows:

1.  Playstation 2

2.  SNES

3.  NES

4.  Dreamcast

5.  Nintendo 64

6.  Game Boy

7.  Xbox

8.  Playstation

9.  Sega Genesis

10.  Gamecube

Well thank you. It's always nice to make a point despite speaking incoherently. You typed out a long-winded version of exactly what I said, so obviously I agree with you.

However, you then went on to list the ps2 as the greatest system ever, thus losing all the credibility you had just built up..... So now I don't know what to think. I'll go contemplate this while playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms 3 on my ps1.

You know, I should probably amend this statement. The PS1 library is certainly balanced, but the problem is that the top games in the different genres have not aged well at all. For example, NFL Gameday was a fairly big game at the time, for bringing 3D gameplay to the football field, but there's virtually nobody on the planet that still breaks that game out and plays it and the majority of the remaining sports games on the system were mediocre at best.

The balanced library is certainly a strength to the system, but the top games on the console just don't have the staying power that the N64's top tier does.

But you sure did a good job of it though.

And I could see putting the SNES at # 1. I really don't have a problem with that, but to me the 4 player ability of the 64 pushes it past the SNES.

Why the hate for the Gamecube this generation? It's been a good solid system, with Metroid Prime, Zelda: WW, Zelda: TP, Smash Bros. Melee, Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe, Mario Kart, and a couple dozen other games. It also had some RPG support (Paper Mario 2, Baten Kaitos, Tales of Symphonia), increased 3rd party support, and a better controller. I'd give it more love than it's getting.

My rankings (done for personal enjoyment only, not taking historical importance etc. into account)

1) Nintendo 64

2) Xbox

3) Super Nintendo

4) Gamecube

5) Game Boy

6) Sega Genesis

7) Game Boy

8) Playstation 2

9) Dreamcast

10) Game Gear (soft spot in my heart for whatever reason)

Never did get the Sony love. It's never been my console of choice, and probably will continue to be on the outside of my rankings. I've generally been a Nintendo guy, although the Xbox has been great for me this gen. An Xbox/Gamecube combo brings the house.

However, you then went on to list the ps2 as the greatest system ever, thus losing all the credibility you had just built up..... So now I don't know what to think. I'll go contemplate this while playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms 3 on my ps1.

You do that and I'll go play some Pokemon Snap - I'll have all the time in the world to think between shots.

This is what the Playstation 2 brings to the table:

• * For one, it introduced backwards compatibility to the home console ranks, which is huge - they were already had a headstart with the PS1 library in their pocket.

* Secondly, it has the best controller design out of all of the consoles, in my opinion. (And sure, the Dual Shock design actually came during the PS1 cycle, but this was the first console where it was packaged in.)

* Thirdly, it also introduced the ability of playing DVDs, which was a pretty significant trick. I don't think you could catch many people playing CDs in their PS1, but there were plenty of college dorm rooms that had a PS2 as the primary DVD player.

* Finally (and most importantly), the library is LOADED. I don't want to spend an hour listing out all of the relevant games, but the PS2 library is not only balanced, but it's strong in virtually every genre. That's quantity and quality.

The PS2 not only runs circles around the "mighty N64", but it aces all of the other consoles as well just by the sheer volume of what it offers. There is a reason that it is the top-selling console of all time.

So, if there's no "credibility" in that argument, I'd like to see you tear it down. What's your counter-argument?

But you sure did a good job of it though.

And I could see putting the SNES at # 1. I really don't have a problem with that, but to me the 4 player ability of the 64 pushes it past the SNES.

Naw, more like attacking that other guy's anti-N64 points.

The SNES may have less good games than the PS1, but as mentioned, how many of the PS1 games hold up? Also not mentioned--the SNES games are easier to go back to and play. OTOH, any 3D PS1 game that's less than 30 FPS can give you a headache to play. Pull out Soul Blade and see what I mean--even at 30 fps it takes some getting used to (fortunately a lot of the later 3D fighters are 40+ fps, and I think the Tekkens and VF2 were 60).

Why the hate for the Gamecube this generation? It's been a good solid system, with Metroid Prime, Zelda: WW, Zelda: TP, Smash Bros. Melee, Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe, Mario Kart, and a couple dozen other games. It also had some RPG support (Paper Mario 2, Baten Kaitos, Tales of Symphonia), increased 3rd party support, and a better controller. I'd give it more love than it's getting.

Well, you've got:

a Zelda that was the most lambasted by critics and fans since Zelda 2 plus TP isn't out yet

Resident Evil 4 and VJ aren't exclusives anymore

Mario Kart Double Dash is considered to be inferior to SNES MK and MK64 by most

Paper Mario 2 is a good game, but easy and more "kid friendly" than the other major RPG franchises. BK and ToS are fine but comparing them and PM2 to the PS2's RPG library is a no-contest.

The controller is different for the sake of being different. There is not one practical, sensible reason that its design is the way it is, and it isn't superior to the Dual Shock, IMO. And yes, it's comfortable, but that doesn't excuse the silly button layout. I like the DC's stick and button layout more, and it's less comfortable then the GC controller.

And the fact that, outside of the games you mentioned, there's a handful of worthwhile games on the system. I can think of Eternal Darkness and Animal Crossing...and that's about it. What am I missing?

The Gamecube has the same top-loaded library issue as the N64, except that the innovation factor is gone and the top-tier games don't match up well with the N64. It's cruel fate that a port of RE4 was just released on the Playstation, when Resident Evil 4 might arguably be the best game on that system. Outside of RE4 and Metroid Prime, the top games you mentioned are reduxes of N64 games (Wind Waker from Ocarina of Time, Double Dash from Mario Kart 64, Smash Bros. Melee from Smash Bros., Paper Mario from...er, Paper Mario).

And the fact that, outside of the games you mentioned, there's a handful of worthwhile games on the system.  I can think of Eternal Darkness and Animal Crossing...and that's about it.  What am I missing?

Pikmin 1 and 2, MGS: TS, and Mario Sunshine are all fine games as well.

And the fact that, outside of the games you mentioned, there's a handful of worthwhile games on the system.  I can think of Eternal Darkness and Animal Crossing...and that's about it.  What am I missing?

Pikmin 1 and 2, MGS: TS, and Mario Sunshine are all fine games as well.

You've got me on the Pikmins, but the other two fall in line with what I edited into the post above. Twin Snakes is especially egregious, since it's a redux of a competing platform game from the previous generation, with a whacked out controller scheme, no less. (Any arguments against the Gamecube controller can use MGS as a data point, as far as I'm concerned.)

Well, FFVII is STILL on GameFAQS top 10 FAQs. I'd say that's some staying power. Symphony of the Night has aged wonderfully. And among RPG players, Suikoden I&II and Valkyrie Profile are still very highly regarded, and have aged quite nicely, Suikoden not being grahically impressive at all even for a first gen PS1 title. RPG's just age better.

Yeah, Star Ocean II and Twisted Metal II are pretty damn ugly today, but they still feature classic gameplay.

I Still play Wipeout XL. That game's the shit. I own the soundtrack, too.

Here is a brief list of PS1 games that still play very well today.

Resident Evil

Resident Evil II

Silent Hill

FFVII

FFTactics

Valkyrie Profile

Star Ocean: Second Story

Suikoden

Suikoden II

Castlevania: SOTN

Twisted Metal II

Gran Tourismo

Wipeout XL

Lunar: Eternal Blue

Einhander

Tekken 3

SFA 3

Metal Gear Solid

Tenchu

Vagrant Story

Bust a Move

Mr. Driller

These are the games that I've played, that I consider great, and worth playing today. There's plenty of other good titles in the library. Calling any of these titles on a lack of quality is just silly. Maybe Einhander's a stretch. I really liked it, though.

For those who say N64 has no fighters or only Super Smash Bros., what about Killer Instinct Gold, that was a very nice game in my opinion, fixed a lot of the frustrating things about the original, had very good music and pretty good graphics, especially since I do believe it was a launch title. I would put the Super NEs above the N64, but it definately deserves some lovin'

Edited by Masked Man of Mystery

For one, it introduced backwards compatibility to the home console ranks, which is huge - they were already had a headstart with the PS1 library in their pocket.

This is incorrect.

Atari did it first (remember that the newer Atari systems tended to all play the older systems' games, except for I *think* the 7800 (and Jag didn't support the older games either)--moot by this point in time, but don't credit Sony for some innovative idea they didn't come up with first.

Plus, Sega did it also, because there was the Power Base converter and the Game-Gear-to-Master-System converter.

Don't forget about Super Game Boy, either.

Atari did it first (remember that the newer Atari systems tended to all play the older systems' games, except for I *think* the 7800 (and Jag didn't support the older games either)--moot by this point in time, but don't credit Sony for some innovative idea they didn't come up with first.

Did the conversion cart come with the system? I don't remember exactly - if it didn't, then I'd argue that it wasn't packaged in with the original console offering. If it did...well, all of the Atari systems after the 2800 died a horrible, horrible death, so there. :)

But yeah, I'll grant you that I was incorrect in stating that the PS2 was the first. Mea culpa.

Plus, Sega did it also, because there was the Power Base converter and the Game-Gear-to-Master-System converter.

As I mentioned before, not packaged in with the original system. I should have clarified on my original statement.

Don't forget about Super Game Boy, either.

Point taken, but that's my personal bias - I don't really feel there's any original gameboy games that really have a lot of merit outside of the portable realm.

Well, FFVII is STILL on GameFAQS top 10 FAQs. I'd say that's some staying power.  Symphony of the Night has aged wonderfully. And among RPG players, Suikoden I&II and Valkyrie Profile are still very highly regarded, and have aged quite nicely, Suikoden not being grahically impressive at all even for a first gen PS1 title. RPG's just age better.

All I'll say about FFVII is that it's still on the GameFAQS top 10 FAQs because that's the religious work of choice for the next generation RPG gamer. It's like a church for them, constantly referencing FAQs for yet another batch of fan fiction.

I personally don't feel the quality of the game is that great, but I've been down that road on this site a half-dozen times already.

Yeah, Star Ocean II and Twisted Metal II are pretty damn ugly today, but they still feature classic gameplay.

Just for the record, I loved Twisted Metal II back in the day. Just saying.

I can't jump on board with your whole list of PS1 games that play very well today. If I had to pick from your list, here's the games I'd choose:

Resident Evil

FFTactics

Twisted Metal II

Suikoden II

Castlevania: SOTN

Tekken 3

SFA 3

Metal Gear Solid

Tenchu

Vagrant Story

If you're a big RPG fan or a big survival horror fan (aka if you were a GIA addict), then the list grows almost exponentially. That being said, I'm not a huge fan of the RPGs on the PS1 and, in my opinion, once you beat your survival horror games, there's not really much point in going back to them. They didn't have staying power at the time when they were released.

Good thing you mentioned Metal Gear Solid...no idea how that slipped under my radar when mentioning the PS1 "home run games."

Now, take the list that you had, and put it against this list for the N64:

Super Mario 64

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Goldeneye

Super Smash Bros.

Super Mario Kart 64

Paper Mario

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Starfox 64

No Mercy

Mario Party

And that's leaving aside some other notable N64 games, like Perfect Dark, Rogue Squadron, Ogre Battle 64, Mario Tennis, Starcraft 64, Banjo, Turok, and Majora's Mask.