TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

Total Non-Stop Action

I didn't have any interest in the game to start with, but man what a clusterfuck this looks like. If it's as bad as it looks, why are they expecting to sell enough to justify a sequel?

It's a wrestling game, and wrestling fans are dumb consumer whores.

Or something. I dunno. :) I know they were a bigger name company-wise than TNA, but didn't the shitty PS1 WCW games sell a ton?

For some people this will be the first time they hear of TNA and the game is going to be as 2nd rate as the show itself. Its not going to do them any real favors.

seems the axe kick etc are infact in

FEATURING 25 OF YOUR FAVORITE TNA SUPERSTARS -- Take control of top TNA superstars such asKurt Angle, Booker T, Sting, Jeff Jarrett, Christian Cage, Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Rhino, Christopher Daniels and more! Perform all the wrestlers’ signature moves such as The Canadian Destroyer, The Styles Clash, The Clutch, The Scorpion Deathlock, The Olympic Slam, The Gore, The Axe Kick and many more!

seems the axe kick etc are infact in

FEATURING 25 OF YOUR FAVORITE TNA SUPERSTARS -- Take control of top TNA superstars such asKurt Angle, Booker T, Sting, Jeff Jarrett, Christian Cage, Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Rhino, Christopher Daniels and more! Perform all the wrestlers’ signature moves such as The Canadian Destroyer, The Styles Clash, The Clutch, The Scorpion Deathlock, The Olympic Slam, The Gore, The Axe Kick and many more!

I've seen videos with the Gore, Olympic Slam, and the Axe Kick, but I have yet to see the Canadian Destroyer or Styles Clash...or any of the submission moves beyond the simplest ones.

More notes on the game courtesy of the F4W Newsletter:

"The story mode is ten hours long, which apparently is considered very short (actually, 12 is considered short and 20 is "solid"). They left blood out of the game so they could market to kids. There are no rope breaks in the game because the developers didn't know what rope breaks were if you can even believe that. There are no referees in the game. Well, at least that's realistic since there may as well be no referees in TNA since they're all so damn incompetent. The Wii version has been delayed and will not support online play or downloadable content. It's believed the PS2 version will ship on time, but it also will have no online play or downloadable content. You will not be able to upload your own music for theme songs. Our source wasn't positive but believed that the maximum number of wrestlers that could be on screen at any one time was four, and that TNA/Midway wasn't releasing this info prior to release because it was rather embarrassing. That's the other reason there are no referees, because they apparently couldn't animate one ref and four other wrestlers at the same time. Our source concluded: "This game is DOA, and the more they actually talk and let people know what is in the game the more they bury it".

I think people should remember this is Midays first attempt at a wrestling game. It's taken THQ years to perfect the wrestling game and they still haven't done it yet.

That's a fair point (though you're forgetting about the Midway arcade classic, WrestleMania: The Arcade Game), but it doesn't mean people should run out and buy a crappy game because it's a "first attempt, so we'll let it slide".

No I'm not saying that at all. My point was, we shouldn't be riding it so hard with "this game will sucks", "I can't believe they suck so much", "this game will be the worst game ever" etc etc.

I'm not saying it will be a great game, I just think we should cut Midway some slack.

That's a fair point (though you're forgetting about the Midway arcade classic, WrestleMania: The Arcade Game), but it doesn't mean people should run out and buy a crappy game because it's a "first attempt, so we'll let it slide".

I hate it when people pull out this bullshit excuse to dump on Midway. Hey, you know what was big at that time? Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 2 and versus fighting games. You know who likes to be on the "cutting edge" of "entertainment" in order to get his company exposure? Vince McMahon. That game was just as much McMahon's fault as it was Midway's, probably moreso actually.

I was really looking forward to this and had it pre-ordered, but cancelled in the past few days after reading this. I still plan on getting it, but I figured with all the glowing reviews, the price will most likely drop soon and then I will get it. Kind of like I did with the Lost game. I held off for $60 on release day and ended up getting it for $14 a couple months later.

I had the pre-order from Amazon.com, where they gave you an exclusive code to unlock and use Mike Tenay. I was already envisioning Hernandez giving him the Border Toss for hours on end.

I was really looking forward to this and had it pre-ordered, but cancelled in the past few days after reading this. I still plan on getting it, but I figured with all the glowing reviews, the price will most likely drop soon and then I will get it. Kind of like I did with the Lost game. I held off for $60 on release day and ended up getting it for $14 a couple months later.

I had the pre-order from Amazon.com, where they gave you an exclusive code to unlock and use Mike Tenay. I was already envisioning Hernandez giving him the Border Toss for hours on end.

.....Seriously?

A couple of MK guys worked on it but no it wasn't Ed Boon & John Tobias MK team. That game was headed by Mark Turmell, the NBA Jam guy.

I think Andrew likes it too.

Indeed. The game wasn't exactly lacking in play mechanics or depth compared to its contemporaries. It just went over the top with combos and flashy moves. Plus, it was just damn fun. Anyone who prefers that button-mashing thumb-breaking series of WWF games Acclaim made prior can blow me.

I believe you are right.

Not exactly. There is some crossover of staff, but it's not really "the MK team." Boon and Tobias were not involved, for instance. There were more NBA Jam staff involved than "MK" staff.

EDIT: beaten by Anya, who linked me to the thread anyway.

WOW. You guys are up on your programming teams.

The Acclaim WWF/ECW games were just awful. I remember constantly pausing to check out the move guide just to have a freaking chance at playing the game.

I honestly didn't mind the game, either, because I knew what it was supposed to be. I've noticed a lot of people over at the Fire Pro Club giving this TNA game shit since day one based solely on the Midway WWF Arcade games.

Still not sure on this, as it would be cool to at least play it. Will probably look for a demo or rent it, before I make a commitment, there's just too many other, potentially, better games out.

Still not sure on this, as it would be cool to at least play it. Will probably look for a demo or rent it, before I make a commitment, there's just too many other, potentially, better games out.

Yea, I don't think anyone in their right mind would, or should rather, choose a 60$ TNA game, over a 60$ Fallout 3.