TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

Total Non-Stop Action

Duuudeee!!!!! I got goosebumps, I pray they don't fuck it up.

That was really too short of a trailer to be effective. The graphics look great, the detail is good.

Speaking of wrestling games on the N64, what is your favorite one?

Last I heard it was still coming to PS2 and there hasn't been a game I've seen yet that has convinced me to buy one of these new systems. And I know I'm not buying the Wii so it's down to PS3 and Xbox360 when I finally do.

It looked pretty, but I want to see some gameplay, I just don't want it to look pretty.

It looked better than i thought it would.

Speaking of wrestling games on the N64, what is your favorite one?

No Mercy. Easy.

Y'know what would be a nice treat for those following TNA through the years but Midway would never put in.

Different stages.

We all know how the Impact Zone looks, and I'm sure Bound for Glory's set will be put in. But, what about the stages that were at the Asylum? Or how about the original look of the Zone?

I'd love to have these stages...

NWA-TNA First Show

NWA-TNA Asylum 1 (2002)

NWA-TNA Asylum 2 (January 2003 - June 11th, 2003)

NWA TNA Asylum 3 (1st Anniversary Show to 9/8/2004)

TNA Impact Zone 1 (June 4th, 2004 - May 27th, 2005)

TNA Impact Zone 2 (October 1st - Current)

TNA Bound for Glory 2006

Would I rather the game make sure that the physics are right and that it's fun first? Yes, without a doubt. But if there's time to do it, and there's plenty of time with this game, I'd love to see these nods to the past put in.

The trailer passes the "Looks Pretty" test. Now all I need to know is how the fight mechanics are.

Guest Princess Leena

The Midway games always look pretty. WM21 previews looked pretty. We have a long way to go.

It's a little more complex than "Midway." "Midway" making it doesn't matter. "Midway" is the publisher. "Midway" themselves didn't program WM21--that was Studio Gigante or whatever the hell they called themselves.

The developer of the game are the folks formerly known as Paradox Development, whose best game ever was MK Shaolin Monks. More relevantly, they made the steaming pile that was the Backyard Wrestling games.

That's why the game will suck balls, not because Midway is publishing it. And it will suck balls, and I'll be telling you "I told you so."

Let's save the optimism for when we see gameplay and we see working collision detection, and A.I. that isn't equivalent to a lobotomized lemming. Then we can worry about more superficial things, like the gameplay engine.

It's a little more complex than "Midway." "Midway" making it doesn't matter. "Midway" is the publisher. "Midway" themselves didn't program WM21--that was Studio Gigante or whatever the hell they called themselves.

The developer of the game are the folks formerly known as Paradox Development, whose best game ever was MK Shaolin Monks. More relevantly, they made the steaming pile that was the Backyard Wrestling games.

That's why the game will suck balls, not because Midway is publishing it. And it will suck balls, and I'll be telling you "I told you so."

Let's save the optimism for when we see gameplay and we see working collision detection, and A.I. that isn't equivalent to a lobotomized lemming. Then we can worry about more superficial things, like the gameplay engine.

To be fair, Backyard Wrestling was Power Stone with New Jack and Violent Jay. That wasn't exactly a wrestling game.

Like I said, though--something superficial like the gameplay engine we can consider later.

Although, the key difference now is a different publisher, and it is the publisher's job to assert some degree of quality control. The Backyard games were done under the publisher Eidos.

No degree of QA can polish a turd, but can make a developer strive to make a good game great, or a mediocre game to be above average.

Yeah...I've learned not to get my hopes too high about wrestling games anymore. Like, those Legends of Wrestling games always sounded awesome on paper...then we ended up with a stupid story mode and guys like Sid Vicious doing sentons off the top rope and spinning chokeslam powerbomb things.

Total Nonstop Action: The Arcade Game

special powers:

Jeff Jarrett - guitar shot

AJ Styles - PELE PELE PELE soccer kick with soccer balls

Christopher Daniels - Zangief style 360 "piledriver" style angel wings

Rhyno - turn into a rhyno

Monty Brown - turn into a safari truck for the POUNCE~

Samoa Joe - anime style muscle buster

Kurt Angle - the strap goes to start roid rage no sell everything and strength x10

Abyss - thumbtack slam

Raven - turn into a bird

AMW - turn into NASCARS

3D - get the tables!

LAX - tacobell ecoli farts of death

Sharkboy - turn into a shark

Sonjay Dutt - sprinkler lama spit

Alex Shelley - tripod camera attack

Sabin - HAIL SABIN! instant dizzy the opponet for combo

Jay Lethal - CO CO COMBO BREAKER!

Austin Starr - falling star attack

Well, moveset filler is found in even good wrestling games, but that is pretty funny.

It was beyond "filler" in those games, though. That was the problem. If they had just tried to make a traditional wrestling game with basic movesets, they would've been much better off.

Total Nonstop Action: The Arcade Game

I wish. Great game for it's time, it was, even if it was the NBA Jam of wrestling games (hell, many of the same folks who made it were also on the NBA Jam team).

It was beyond "filler" in those games, though. That was the problem.

Yeah, I agree with you. That's just going overboard.

I actually did like WM: The Arcade Game...unfortuantely, I had the inferior SNES version, but it was still fun to play. Playing as a tag team with a friend was a lot of fun.

Guest Princess Leena

I'm aware on both accounts.

I'm just suggesting that people don't get excited just because a small video looks pretty.

I learned my lesson on these spiffy wrestling games with Raw on the X-Box. Fortunately I was allowed to return it less than 24 hours later despite buying it used. I've had a Gamecube for a year and a half now and have had no desire to seek out wrestling games for it. Is it just me, or are wrestling games getting worse with better systems?

No. It's just that Americans suck at making realistic wrestling games.

And Japanese programmers being kept on a short leash, being told exactly how to make an American-style wrestling game are only doing a little bit better.

"I actually did like WM: The Arcade Game...unfortuantely, I had the inferior SNES version, but it was still fun to play. Playing as a tag team with a friend was a lot of fun. "

Heh, hopefully you got the PS1 version later. I played *EVERY* version of that game around, the SNES was by far the worst. 2 missing characters, butchered to hell animation, and SLOWDOWN for crying out loud!! I guess the game just played far better to the Genesis' faster hardware.

Guest NYankees
I learned my lesson on these spiffy wrestling games with Raw on the X-Box. Fortunately I was allowed to return it less than 24 hours later despite buying it used. I've had a Gamecube for a year and a half now and have had no desire to seek out wrestling games for it. Is it just me, or are wrestling games getting worse with better systems?

It's sad to think that the best wrestling games came out on the N64 from 1997-2000. It is pushing 2007 and who knows where the wrestling games for the next gen is going to go. As far as the Smackdown series, it peaked in 2003 with HCTP.

The Gamecube titles aren't overly horrible compared to the rest of the new gen. Engine wise the Day of Reckonings are pretty similar to No Mercy, although no where as in depth. Your best bet for a Cube Wrestling game is Def Jam Vendetta.