TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anya

the Soulcalibur III thread

I just beat the new story mode. It's kind of cool. Even has Shenmue style QTE events.

Some random thoughts:

Nothing like busting out K+G mid-match...

Currently adjusting to the changes made to Cassandra. My friend tells me he's having a hell of a time adjusting to SC3 Ivy.

Got bored so I color edited Taki to make P1 Sango from Inuyasha and P2 Leona from KoF. I'll probably tinker around with the created character mode after I get off work tomorrow.

I like the changes made to Kilik. Not sure what I think about Mitsurugi and Yunsung though.

It just kind of sucks that I'm going to be playing III at home getting used to the new moves and stances while still playing II at the arcade.

Heh with Mitsu you've kind of got to choose either SC2 or SC3, or not use stances. Trying to get yourself to do 6A+B for mist in SC2 but 6B+K for mist in SC3 is too hard.

Mitsu and Sophie didn't change enough, so I'm bored. Need to find someone new. I think I'll try to learn Zas.

Raph from what I hear is totally different. Loses soul charge cancels but gets tons more transitions into preps, and gets some fast mids.

I've been trying to get into SC II the last week or so. It's fun but I basically have no idea what I'm doing besides random moves. I've never even seen a high level SC game and have no clue how it's supposed to be played.

Some random thoughts:

Nothing like busting out K+G mid-match...

Currently adjusting to the changes made to Cassandra. My friend tells me he's having a hell of a time adjusting to SC3 Ivy.

Got bored so I color edited Taki to make P1 Sango from Inuyasha and P2 Leona from KoF. I'll probably tinker around with the created character mode after I get off work tomorrow.

Hey, cool, another InuYasha fan at TSM...

Anya, what changes were made to Kilik? He was my character of choice in the first 2 games, and the thought of changes worries me.

He lost the low hit after f+aa, the low b,b+B move, a+b is gone and is the old f+a+k, the qcb splits stance is gone and replaced with a new stance, the qcf stance has new moves after it like some chain that can go into an unblockable. His old multi throw can now only be done in one of the special stances.

I HATE the number pad system Soul players use for the directions. I'd never be able to get used to it.

Especially when mixed with Tekken directions. I swear, pick on convention and STICK TO IT!!!

I really would like to play SC3 now, if only I had someone to play with. As it is, Ico, SotC, and Disgaea, Disgaea, Disgaea will take my time...

I love all the music at the end of the story mode. As much as people talk about the story and atmosphere in MK I think it's probably better done in SC.

I HATE the number pad system Soul players use for the directions. I'd never be able to get used to it.

I concur. I takes awhile for me to realize what 2,3,6 means compared to QCF or Hadoken.

I tried fighting Colossus and either I'm missing something or the big mofo is just cheesy with that unblockable death laser of his.

And I'm starting to get tired of my friend calling ring outs "cheesy and game breaking." It's called air-control and staying the hell away from the edges.

Got bored so I color edited Taki to make P1 Sango from Inuyasha

Kind of silly without the ability to give 'em a huge boomarang a fighting style that fits.

Does Link's SC2 fighting style appear in any form for a created fighter? B-)

I concur. I takes awhile for me to realize what 2,3,6 means compared to QCF or Hadoken.

Didn't Namco devise that shorthand method, though?

Ahhh...how I miss Jab, Strong, Fierce, Short, Forward, Roundhouse...even if it only was accurate for the Shotos.

I don't know who came up with the number pad system but in the games Namco just says down, forward, up, ect. or uses arrows.

I never played as Link but I think the thief style has his bomb moves.

I've only made custom characters for the RTS mini-game.

I created a samurai character and they have a bunch of Tekken moves. I've seen one of Paul's throws, Paul's sidestep elbow, one of Bryan's knees and a couple others.

So is no one playing this? Is this what happens when Link isn't in?

The creation mode is cooler than I thought it would be. I just made Yuna and she looks pretty good. There's a skirt that looks just like the one she has as a songstress in X-2. The created characters movesets don't seem complete though. They have no sidethrows and none of them seem to have multiple stances. You can tell playing them that you're not really playing a real character.

I spent all weekend playing it, and I have to say, it's grown on me quite a bit. So far it feels a little tighter and less glitchy than SC2. I like how different a lot of characters are from their SC2 versions; it's going to keep the game fresh for awhile. The only worry I have is balance; Setsuka seems like she could be way too much once people start to get her low just frame and those Akira style strings down. Even without them she's pretty ridiculous; safe high priority high damage mids and invisible lows.

The more I play the more I like the stage concepts. The graphics may not be anything special technically, but the stages just look awesome. Even better than T5s.

The number pad system I think is pretty universal in Japan. Once you get used to it, it ends up being a whole lot more elegant than what most people are used to. It's easier to type and to say. d/f, u/b, f, d, d/f, d/b, A+K is a whole lot more clumsy looking than 376231 A+K. If anything, other games should drop their old clumsy conventions and move to the number pad one, imo.

So is no one playing this? Is this what happens when Link isn't in?

To be fair, I didn't pick up the GC versions of SC2 until I got it really cheap, and even my PS2 version was a preplayed Movie Gallery one.

I mean, how awesome can it be that I *need* a new one when the older game is still fabulous?

It's pretty awesome. Well ok it is more of the same, but SC II is like 2 years old. You can create Yuna...and Yunsung looks like Tidus in his 1p outfit...isn't that reason enough to get it?

Don't rent...buy. How can you call yourself a fan of fighters otherwise?

Jer, could you point me to a site where I can learn the basics for my characters? I only know of the old guardimpact but it's been down forever and Gamefaqs is more interested in creating Sephiroth. I like Mits, Kilik, Yunsung and I was trying out Xianghua last night but I really have no idea what I'm doing. The new tutorial is pretty good at explaining the overall game system but isn't character specific.

Relic is mostly evasive. Relic B tech crouches and steps; it can punish some highs and a bunch of verticals. It's also pretty safe. That's all I use it for. It may have some new applications in SC3, dunno.

Mist is better. It's really good for covering distance. Mist throw gives you a whole lot better distance than a normal throw, and you can mix that up with mist 6B. Mist K is his longest range low. Mist BK (or Mist B throw if you can do it) and Mist B6B also makes for a reasonably good mixup. Also, mist A+B makes for a really good trap if you transition into mist through another move. The classic setup is 11A, which leaves you in mist, and then A+B when they try to retaliate. You get an auto-GI and they take a bunch of damage. If you can guess the timing on when they'll try to retaliate, you can bait them pretty well out of most transitions to mist. I really like mist because it lets Mitsu aggressively cover distance, but it is really unsafe. A lot of good players hardly use it at all. But at the very least, you want to keep mist throw in mind.

The mist transitions are pretty interesting but it's often better to just do the move by itself. I guess my favorites are 4[A], 11B[A] and 2K. I want to like B but you end up out of range of most of the mist mixups which kind of defeats the point. 4[A] is really nice just for the speed; you can usually get a mixup between 4[A] -> throw or 4[A] -> 6B, and if they start attacking right away you can throw out the A+B for the auto-GI.

Mist~G is a really good little cancel just for throwing people off, too. I usually just do it into normal mixups like 2KB_4KB.

What is the 11A move? I only know of that 1A sweep or the 1AB feint but that doesn't leave you in mist.

Is A+B the only move that has the auto GI?

And any good juggles? In II I would do 261,4KB but it doesn't work in III so now I'm just doing A+B.

Ack sorry wrote it wrong, meant 11B[A]. It's also 77B[A] or 8wr 1_7B[A]. It's a quick little vertical-horizontal string that you can end with a big slow overhead if you do 11BAB, but it's almost always better not to end it and either just stop or go into mist. It's good because it's fast, safe, tracks step and is a natural combo on hit.

B+K is a new move with Mitsu that auto-GIs, and it also goes into an attack throw. Haven't played with it much, but it seems pretty decent. He also has a command GI out of relic that used to be either 6G or A+B+K. Don't know if it's the same input now.

Mitsu's best launchers have been 33B and 3B. Off 33B I usually hold the B to go into relic and do 33B. The wakeup there is great, they're grounded at your feet. For guaranteed damage you used to be able to do 33B, 33K, 236B, but it was hard and I doubt it works anymore since the knee is slower. For 3B, the best juggle used to be qcf.

I just discovered that b+k move in training.

ok so what about oki? I've got 2KB, 42K, 2A+B, 1A, A+B, and 8WR+B. Missing anything good?

In 1 and 3 what's the difference with the GIs? Like why is there the parry and the regular?

4KB and 3B are really good mids, so the core oki mixup is one of those with 2KB. Another really good thing with him, especially from distance, is 66A+B. It does a whole bunch of damage, hits grounded, and best of all, can be cancelled. You usually want to cancel it, but go through with it every once in awhile so that they fear it. If it hits, do 2A; it's guaranteed and leaves them standing at minus frames so you get another mixup.

66BB, his new big damage mid, is pretty good on oki too, and comes out of running which is nice. It's really unsafe though.

1B is fast, safe, mid and hits grounded, so it's pretty good on oki too.

The difference between parry and repel is that parry is basically higher risk for higher reward. A successful parry leaves them side turned at more minus frames than a successful repel. A whiffed parry leaves you at worse disadvantage, though. Also, you can't parry throws anymore (you could in SC1), so 6G seems pretty much better than 4G to me.