TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TNABaddboi

OAO Impact Special Thread

TNA has posted the official preview for Thursday's show, so I figured I'd go ahead and start the OAO thread, ~SPOILER FREE of course. This is probably the biggest show ever for TNA. It's probably a testament to there growth that seems like they have one of those every six months (first FSN show, Victory Road, BDSSP specials, first Spike show, BFG and now this). Etiher way, it's a golden opportunity for TNA to impress the network and an larger audience, and they've stacked the show accordingly. Here's the preview:

PREVIEW OF THURSDAY NIGHT’S TWO-HOUR TNA “iMPACT!” SPECIAL ON SPIKETV AT 9PM ET!

This Thursday night, TNA Wrestling goes primetime with a two-hour mega event starting at 9PM ET on SpikeTV! It will be one of the biggest nights in TNA Wrestling history, featuring The Ultimate X Rematch, Team 3D vs. Team Canada and a NWA World Heavyweight Title Match between Rhino and Jeff Jarrett! Below is a preview of the scheduled matches for this huge primetime event:

NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH

Champion “The Man Beast” Rhino vs. “The King of the Mountain” Jeff Jarrett

On Saturday’s “iMPACT!”, the world learned that Championship Committee member Larry Zbyszko had no choice but to grant Jeff Jarrett his rematch for the NWA World Heavyweight Title, the championship he lost at “Bound For Glory” to “The Man Beast” Rhino. This Thursday night the anticipated rematch will take place between new champion Rhino and the self-proclaimed “King Of The Mountain”!

THE ULTIMATE X REMATCH – FOR THE #1 CONTENDER TO THE X CHAMPIONSHIP

Matt Bentley vs. Petey Williams vs. Chris Sabin

Also on Saturday’s “iMPACT!”, it was announced that a rematch of the “Bound For Glory” Ultimate X would take place this Thursday night between Bentley, Sabin and Williams! As a result of an equipment malfunction at the Pay-Per-View, the bout was declared void by TNA management. However, to make it up to fans, the rematch will take place this Thursday night on SpikeTV to determine the new number-one contender to the X Division Championship!

BACK FROM THE DEAD AND OUT FOR REVENGE!

Team 3D (Brother Ray and Brother Devon) vs. Team Canada

Team 3D made their triumphant return to TNA on Saturday’s “iMPACT!”, vowing revenge against everyone who had a hand in their “burial”. As a result, Brother Ray and Brother Devon will step into the ring this Thursday night on SpikeTV to face Team Canada’s Bobby Roode and Eric Young! Without a doubt, Team 3D’s ultimate goal is to exact revenge on America’s Most Wanted – but first they’ve got to make it past the elite Team Canada unit!

ALSO THIS THURSDAY NIGHT ON THE TWO-HOUR TNA “iMPACT!” SPECTACULAR:

X DIVISION ACTION:

“The Phenomenal” AJ Styles, “The Original Playa From The Himalaya” Sonjay Dutt and Austin Aries vs. “The Fallen Angel” Christopher Daniels, “The Samoan Submission Machine” Samoa Joe and Alex Shelley

SIX MAN MAYHEM:

“The Charismatic Enigma” Jeff Hardy, “The Suicidal, Homicidal, Genocidal” Sabu and Lance Hoyt vs. The Diamonds In The Rough

PLUS, “THE ALPHA MALE” MONTY BROWN IN ACTION, NEWS ON NOVEMBER’S “GENESIS” PPV AND SO MUCH MORE THIS THURSDAY NIGHT AT 9PM ET ON TNA’S TWO-HOUR “iMPACT!” SPECIAL!

I think having a title match and an UX match are good moves, making the show seem like a big deal. I think they should have given it a name, a la Clash of the Champions or SNME, so that when you here the name, you know automatically that it's a huge thing, but otherwise, they've done a great job with this on short notice. I'm glad they didn't OD the hotshotting and put a cage match too. Save that for the next special. As far as the line-up, we've pretty much got everyone covered. We get two kickass XD matches, the heavyweights in two matches and a big tag match.

I'm sure that UX will be the "first hour ME" and the title match will close the show. I'm pumped for it, but I was pumped for the Spike debut, so I'm probably not the best judge of TNA's effectiveness with this. Anyway, keep your pre-show thoughts in here and during and after here as well. Enjoy!

From reading the spoilers...the 6 man X match was said to be great.

They said the same about the Ultimate X also...but I've become numb to them now. They should have put it on the shelf for a year after AJ won vs. Williams and Sabin.

I'm sure the show's going to be good. If I was a new viewer...I might not know everyone's name...but I find the hour of Impact every week pretty exhilerating.

Then again...it probably would be better if I knew everyone's name.

Well...when I look at this primetime special...all I can think of is reading reviews afterwards on the Torch and Observer sites about how much better TNA's 2 hours were than your Raw's and your Smackdown's...

Part of that is obviously because it's bigger for TNA than Raw or Smackdown is to WWE...but that doesn't matter since I think Impact is better than Raw and Smackdown at one hour.

The problem is that no one will watch it. The numbers might be better than anything that TNA has done...(and they'd really kind of have to be with it on at 9) but they won't do a third of a Raw rating.

So who's to blame?

The sheer amount of cost that it would take to break into the identity of "Wrestling = WWE" through marketing would sink the richest of rich people.

TNA isn't doing themselves any favors since the only reason that I know Roderick Strong from Austin Aries is that I watch Ring of Honor. There is no draw to watching these shows...except for the shows themselves.

People watch Raw because it's on...and their used to it...and they know they hate HHH and like John Cena.

People watch Impact because they turned it on once and it was completely refreshing. That will only last so long. It's time for some long term character building. It's past due, in fact.

I don't know why people watch Smackdown.

Guest korndogg123
Be careful.  Speaking ill of the McMahons is like threatening the President.

They will eliminate you.

Exactly. After all, Vince McMahon fired us a few weeks ago on Raw!

I have to admit that Smackdown was actually pretty decent this Friday.

And I agree, it is time for character development. I am praying they don;t blow it when it does start.

Styles, Dutt, and Aries vs Daniels, Joe, and Shelley?  Sweet.  I do hope Dutt takes the fall though.  For some reason I can't pinpoint I REALLY don't like him.

RACISM!!!

Anyway...the reason I think Dutt is falling behind in the poles...

Everyone else in the division is better. Styles, Daniels, Joe, Sabin, Petey, Aries, Strong, Shelley...maybe not Bentley...

Guest *KNK*
Styles, Dutt, and Aries vs Daniels, Joe, and Shelley?  Sweet.  I do hope Dutt takes the fall though.  For some reason I can't pinpoint I REALLY don't like him.

RACISM!!!

Everyone else in the division is better. Styles, Daniels, Joe, Sabin, Petey, Aries, Strong, Shelley...maybe not Bentley...

His ethicity might be what saves him in the long run. He stands out more then Shelley and Sabin for obvious reasons.

Guest *KNK*
True.  But "The Original Playa from the Himalaya" is such an awful nickname.  So, so bad.

"The Messiah of The Backbreaker" isn't causing people to rush to the studios either.

TNA is kind of hit and miss with the nick-names so far.

"Samoan Submission Machine" Good

"Original Playa from the Himalaya" Not so good.

There are a couple of other problems with Sonjay...

1. Everyone else I listed has had a memorable showing at some point either in TNA or in RoH. Sonjay hasn't.

2. Everyone else seems to keep improving as their careers progress (most of these guys haven't been in the business long. Other than Daniels...Styles is pretty much the veteran there at a whopping near 7 years (I think)). Sonjay doesn't.

Part of that is because he is the official TNA spot monkey. A label originally owned by the Amazing Red.

True.  But "The Original Playa from the Himalaya" is such an awful nickname.  So, so bad.

"The Messiah of The Backbreaker" isn't causing people to rush to the studios either.

TNA is kind of hit and miss with the nick-names so far.

"Samoan Submission Machine" Good

"Original Playa from the Himalaya" Not so good.

I like "The Messiah of the Backbreaker" more than "The Samoan Submission Machine".

Although that one is growing on me.

Whatever happened to Red? I saw some of his ROH(?) stuff and it was entertaining in a spotmonkey sort of way. I heard his back got messed up or something, then he tried coming back too soon and screwed it up more. Any updates?

Edit: I like "The Messiah of the Backbreaker" as well.

Guest *KNK*
There are a couple of other problems with Sonjay...

1.  Everyone else I listed has had a memorable showing at some point either in TNA or in RoH.  Sonjay hasn't.

2.  Everyone else seems to keep improving as their careers progress (most of these guys haven't been in the business long.  Other than Daniels...Styles is pretty much the veteran there at a whopping near 7 years (I think)).  Sonjay doesn't.

Part of that is because he is the official TNA spot monkey.  A label originally owned by the Amazing Red.

I think Sonjay will inevitably slip to jobber status. There is no way they can continue to job Strong out. Considering how often they have used him during the SPIKE reign, it's like they know he's good but they always place him in situations where he has to job.

Guest *KNK*
Whatever happened to Red?  I saw some of his ROH(?) stuff and it was entertaining in a spotmonkey sort of way.  I heard his back got messed up or something, then he tried coming back too soon and screwed it up more.  Any updates?

Edit: I like "The Messiah of the Backbreaker" as well.

He got injured and was basically a shell of his former self. He was already questionable before it but while he was out, Jack Evans emerged as the indy's top spotmonkey and Jack had loads of charisma to boot. Naturally Red just wasnt in demand anymore.

They need to put Strong into a tag team with either Shelley or Aries for a while. It's a good way to get over...and a good way to get known.

Look at Bentley and Kazarian. Their tag team was much better for them than their singles roles...and I didn't even LIKE either of them before they started teaming.

Strong I like. In fact I think Strong was the best signing of the year so far. This guy has future superstar all over him. Moreso than Aries or Shelley IMO. He's just so freaking good.

RACISM!!!

By the way, I'll have you know I'm not a racist. I hate everyone equally.

Guest *KNK*
They need to put Strong into a tag team with either Shelley or Aries for a while.  It's a good way to get over...and a good way to get known.

Look at Bentley and Kazarian.  Their tag team was much better for them than their singles roles...and I didn't even LIKE either of them before they started teaming.

Strong I like.  In fact I think Strong was the best signing of the year so far.  This guy has future superstar all over him.  Moreso than Aries or Shelley IMO.  He's just so freaking good.

I like Strong, I really do. However, in Austin Aries I just see "IT". Roderick Strong? I see Chris Benoit. Not neccesarily a bad place to be though.

1. Everyone else I listed has had a memorable showing at some point either in TNA or in RoH. Sonjay hasn't.

In defense of Dutt, I think his memorable TNA showing was the Turning Point six man that shocked everyone. Dutt was THE reason that match worked, and displayed an understand of mixing pyschology with the highspots that most of the X-D don't get to exhibit. I have always liked the guy and am glad to see him get a little push. I think he's most been the opening match spot monkey because that's where TNA placed him. Other than a forgettable feud with Kazarian and Red over the X Title right before they started on FSN and a feud with Kash that had potential before it was dropped, TNA hasn't done much with him other than go send him out to do flips and dives (like a lot of guys). With that said, also, having never seen RoH, Aries and Strong have not really impressed me so far. They've hit a couple of moves that have made me go "wow," but I still have a hard time telling them apart. Shelley has grown on me though. I love the way he interacts with the crowd and I thought him kicking dirt this week was awesome. I think he could get over big time if they let him talk.

SPIKE is getting behind TNA.

SPIKE TV has purchased a lot of ad time to push the TNA Thursday Prime Time Special. They purchased airtime on the Howard Stern Show, as well as 1050 ESPN Radio in NYC. These are rather expensive ads so SPIKE TV is really pushing this hard. [Credit: PWINsider.com]

Also, if you have been watching SPIKE TV at all, you would notice that they are running numerous ads, 2-5 spots per hour for the TNA special.

Well...it's already fair to say that TNA isn't getting the ECW treatment from Spike.

It's pretty cool to stop and think that after all the misteps, close calls and just a lot of stuff in the last 3+ years...

Tomorrow night TNA will have it's largest viewing audience ever...for a show that is said to be a homerun.

I can't remember the last time I was this pumped for a tv wrestling show. I mean...it's just so ridiculously cool to look at it and say..."Hey...tomorrow Samoa Joe is going to be on primetime national TV"

My personal opinion on this:

If the primetime special works, move TNA OUT of Saturday nights, and give them two hours on Thursday for a while.

Then, after they have a following and are drawing pretty good ratings, either move them to or add another show to Monday Nights.

Probably the former, as one thing TNA has, like WCW did at the start, was fewer dates for the competitors to work in, thus making things more pleasing for them and easier on their lives.

If I were TNA, I'd want a two hour show more than a head to head spot like Chris said. The break neck pace of their saturday shows is gonna wear thin soon here and they need to slow down a smidge, at the same time, two hours give them the chance to get more guys and storylines over to help sell ppv's, since that is a huge revenue stream for them since Spike gets the ad rev.

Speaking of Prime Time, TNA and Spike have announced 2 more PT specials, from Meltz...

Spike has officially announced its second TNA prime time special for 12/8 at 10 p.m. and its third on New Year's Eve. The plan is Unleashed from 7-8 pm., Impact from 8-9 p.m. followed by the UFC Best of 2005 show from 9 p.m. to midnight and TNA again from midnight to 12:30 a.m. The deal is they are going to shoot a big angle in the first hour to lead to a match three hours later after UFC, to be billed as the first pro wrestling match of 2006

Mike Johnson added this:

Spike TV has purchased advertising for tomorrow's TNA special in Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston, Los Angeles, and New York City. There will be ads again tomorrow on The Howard Stern show, as there were today. We've heard from a number of readers that they heard TNA ads as they drove to work this morning in some of the aforementioned markets.

TNA Impact will air Thursday 12/8 at 10 PM due to Spike TV airing the Video Game Awards in TNA's regular timeslot on Saturday 12/10. Sources have indicated that 12/8 may be expanded into a two hour special if the first primetime special does well tomorrow in the ratings.

Spike TV is also including TNA in their New Year's Eve plans. TNA will have a 30 minute Spike TV special on Saturday 12/31. The current plan is for TNA Impact to air at 10 PM that evening as usual, then return with a 30 minute edition at midnight with a match or angle that builds off the earlier episode. An official announcement is expected down the line once plans are finalized.

IIRC, this thursday's special was original just a pre-emption for UFC and TNA was originally going to air at 11 PM on Thursday, but because Spike has been happy with what TNA is drawing. So I guess we'll know how they feel about Thursday's show by whether or not they get the 9-10 hour on 12/8 too. And the fact that they are really advertising the show is really good. It shows that they are committed to TNA, unlike the treat ECW got.

As a casual TNA viewer, I'd say having a 1-hour weekly show at this time is best, while keeping the door open for 2-hour specials as are being planned.

The company would be better suited to leave you wanting more w/ a 1hr show rather than bombarding its audience w/ 2hrs of wrestling w/ guys many casual fans have never heard of. The odds of holding onto an audience for 2 hours is a lot worse than holding them there for just 60 minutes. The pacing of a 2hr weekly show would have to be AMAZING for it to work.