TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest cdub112

Christian Quits the WWE

It's fine to speculate, but it silly to act like it's already happening. I mean stuff like "this is a great career move for Christian to go to TNA" is kind of jumping the gun.

I don't recall anyone saying that. I see people saying that they hope he ends up in TNA, and that Christian looking out for himself and his own interests was a great career move. I guess wishful thinking on a message board is out of line around here now?

I truthfully don't blame him for not resigning if he has saved his money well. He can either go to TNA or just chill out at home. Going to TNA would be a great move since it's close to his family and he'd still make a nice amount of money. It's not the WWE, but being with family and having a little more freedom on how to perform seems to loosen wrestlers up.

If he retires, sad to see him go. If he goes back to the E, hopefully they give him the damn push he deserved. Course you knew he was screwed when they pissed the Cena feud down their leg and I think he realized it to. All that build for a quick RAW job.

If Christian is not under contract as he did not sign the new one, he should not be under any 90 day clauses. No contract = no conditions. The 90 day thing only applies to people released from their contracts.

It's also interesting to note they have put out that he quit rather than chose not to renew or sign a new contract, as if he walked out on them rather than chose to exercise some sense and take time to read through the contract himself or get a lawyer to for him. For all we know they could have written in "If at any point Mr McMahon requires an organ transplant, you will be obligated to provide one for him regardless of what organ it may be." I can see them picking him back up down the line, however they are probably currently quite bitter that he dared to walk away from their offer which might explain them putting out that he quit.

I can see him taking some time off to evaluate what direction he wants to go in. The guy has been on the road for several years with few breaks, I'm sure he wants to enjoy the benefits of some of the money he has hopefully saved before he gets back in there to be slammed around.

Jericho is not under contract. He's like the Rock insofar as he has other interests right now but has said he is loyal to the WWE if and when he does choose to make an appearance.

For what it's worth, I hope he _does_ go to TNA. I think he'd instantly give TNA some more credibility, and they could use him in a lot of different ways (as has been mentioned earlier). Personally I'd hope they push him as a face, because I think TNA could use that one pretty recognizable guy who can talk on the mike in their main event scene (discounting older guys like Nash and the Outlaw, etc).

For what it's worth, I hope he _does_ go to TNA. I think he'd instantly give TNA some more credibility, and they could use him in a lot of different ways (as has been mentioned earlier). Personally I'd hope they push him as a face, because I think TNA could use that one pretty recognizable guy who can talk on the mike in their main event scene (discounting older guys like Nash and the Outlaw, etc).

Agreed. Plus, I'm all for anything that makes his family life easier. I can only imagine what it must be like to travel that much a year and barely get to see your wife and/or kids.

Seriously?

What did Striker do?

He was backstage comparing RAW to SD, and ended up saying that RAW is the more professional brand of the two. In saying that, he really pissed off Holly, JBL, Eddie, and Benoit, and as posted before, he was physically removed from the locker room by those guys.

It's also interesting to note they have put out that he quit rather than chose not to renew or sign a new contract, as if he walked out on them rather than chose to exercise some sense and take time to read through the contract himself or get a lawyer to for him. For all we know they could have written in "If at any point Mr McMahon requires an organ transplant, you will be obligated to provide one for him regardless of what organ it may be." I can see them picking him back up down the line, however they are probably currently quite bitter that he dared to walk away from their offer which might explain them putting out that he quit.

While I don't think they had any insane clauses in the contract, I do think the WWE will not be pleased with him. It just seems they hold a grudge against anyone who dares to say no to them, even if they are lowballing the wrestler or treating them like garbage. I really think for Christian they probably tried to offer him a deal that had a pay cut with no guarantees of a push despite him getting over on his own like they said wrestlers should.

I don't know. I don't think anything extremely strange was in the deal but something must have been up for him to walk out on them.

Seriously?

What did Striker do?

He was backstage comparing RAW to SD, and ended up saying that RAW is the more professional brand of the two. In saying that, he really pissed off Holly, JBL, Eddie, and Benoit, and as posted before, he was physically removed from the locker room by those guys.

Better hope he doesn't get a match with JBL or Holly. He might get one of those old school "welcomes". Eddie and Chris might have removed him for his own good. Or not.

If the Ross Report were still around, I have to wonder how JR would try to spin this... :lol:

Something about the Sooners and not understanding how this business works and how he should have worked harder to make a spot for himself. Oh but we wish him the best of luck and hope he burns in hell.

If Christian really quit, I'll be incredibly sad. I've been a fan of his since he first appeared at Breakdown in September 1998, and even before that, I followed his and Edge's careers in the Canadian indies via Pro Wrestling Illustrated and its sister publications.

Now I really wish I could have gone to Smackdown in LA last night to see his final match.

Guest Jack Potts

I know everyone's tired of the "Now-Wrestler X-Can-Go-To-TNA" statements whenever a wrestler is forced out of the WWE, but Christian's case is unique. Christian is a mid-upper card worker who left on his OWN volition. In my mind, that removes the stigma of being a WWE "reject."

As for new names, I think Christian should play up the fact that he spoke truth to power, and left the WWE because he didn't buy their brand of "sports entertainment," and call himself Jay "The Heretic" Reso.

He should say that he saw the WWE for what it was...a cult. A cult led by a family of warped, myopic, diseased, petty little personalities. Others weren't so fortunate, but he escaped the cult with his dignity intact. He saw through the lies, manipulation, and viciousness of Vince McMahon's cult. Like every cult leader, Vince McMahon will try to destroy the truthtellers in the eyes of his brainwashed followers. Instead of calling him "Christian," I'm sure in the backrooms of Stamford, CT, they're calling him "The Heretic."

Ok so I gotta speculate here - IF he does go to TNA, one would think an initial Styles-Christian feud might work. I could just see Styles working a match and all of a sudden the Styles entrance music blares and out comes Christian wearing the same coat so similar to Styles, giving the impression someone is copying him, and then off comes the hood and its Christian. Would be a first cool impression of sorts.

90-day no compete?  I heard lesnar signed one that keeps him out of action until 2014 and he's currently fighting it.

That was in his contract. And remember, he walked out in the middle of the deal. Christian deal was apparently up.

Big difference.

I'd also like to add Lesnar should smack his lawyer for getting something in his contract like that. I mean damn, who did he have that got him saddled with a death nail like THAT??

90-day no compete?  I heard lesnar signed one that keeps him out of action until 2014 and he's currently fighting it.

That was in his contract. And remember, he walked out in the middle of the deal. Christian deal was apparently up.

Big difference.

All I can say is good for Christian. He didn't count their chickens before they hatched

Guest Human Highlight Reel

Fuck that. I'm a huge Christian fan, but only get WWE programming, so this really sucks. Good for him getting to leave on his own terms, but fuck.

Agreed. Plus, I'm all for anything that makes his family life easier. I can only imagine what it must be like to travel that much a year and barely get to see your wife and/or kids.

Doesn't he live in Florida?

Doesn't he live in Florida?

Tampa, I believe. So, considering if he were to sign with TNA.. their tapings are in Orlando. Not a bad deal, IMO.

No he is not. The issue was settled out of court and the documents were sealed upon the WWE's request, probably because the materials made them look bad. He is now competing in Japan and is current IWGP champion.

Three things:

- "Jay Reso" would get over as a name much more than "Christian", given time.

- I hope Jericho was watchin'.

- Three, Christian's contract is UP?  So he can go directly to Japan or TNA?

Would you still turn up to work with no contract? Would your employer be able to enforce any policies if you were not bound to contractually? This situation is no different. No contract, no job, no commitments. The guy is unemployed and contract free, he can do whatever he wants.

Well, can't blame him for quitting. If he goes to TNA, it sounds like it would be good for him since he would get to spend more time with his family, work less dates, and have a bigger role. And if he's not worried about money, quitting must have been an easy choice to make. This is good for me too because here in Baton Rouge, I don't get UPN but I can get TNA. :)

Good Lord... I wake up to see one of my favorite guys in the WWE just pack up and leave? Damn... here's hoping Christian lands in TNA or ROH and becames the main event player he should be.

I'll believe him in TNA when I see it. The fact is aside from the FL connection (Tampa-Orlando) for Christian what exactly is his incentive to work there? Sure, there's less travel but also much less money I'd think. And not to sound cynical but him going there just means at the end of the day he's jobbing to either Jarrett or Styles. In short, I think Christian should have thought this through more.

They had their chance to push Christian this year and blew it. I can see why he felt the need to quit but he's going to end up costing himself a lot of money for very little career advancement.

I don't see Christian being a guy who can bring all sorts of viewers to TNA. In fact there are really only two WWE guys that I think could fit that bill: Chris Jericho and Rob Van Dam. If TNA could sign either of those guys (Jericho perhaps but I think RVD has a new contract with WWE) then I think TNA can rise a bit in popularity.

I'll believe him in TNA when I see it.  The fact is aside from the FL connection (Tampa-Orlando) for Christian what exactly is his incentive to work there?  Sure, there's less travel but also much less money I'd think.  And not to sound cynical but him going there just means at the end of the day he's jobbing to either Jarrett or Styles.  In short, I think Christian should have thought this through more. 

Who says he didn't think it through?

Who says money's an issue to him?

From PWInsider:

For the many who have asked, it looks like WWE owns the rights to the name "Christian" when it comes to wrestling, as the trademark notice below shows.  Christian, whose real name is Jay Reso, had used the ring name Christian Cage before shortening it to Christian shortly after his arrival in WWE.  It looks like Christian/Jay will have to find a new ring name if he plans on continuing his in-ring career. Thanks to Eric Novak for his help with this item.

Word Mark  CHRISTIAN

Goods and Services  IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment Services, namely wrestling exhibits and performances by a professional wrestler/entertainer and providing wrestling news and information via a global computer network. FIRST USE: 19981026. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19981026

Mark Drawing Code  (1) TYPED DRAWING

Serial Number  78072669

Filing Date  July 6, 2001

Current Filing Basis  1A

Original Filing Basis  1A

Published for Opposition  July 30, 2002

Registration Number  2639683

Registration Date  October 22, 2002

Owner  (REGISTRANT) World Wrestling Federation Entertainment, Inc. CORPORATION DELAWARE 1241 East Main Street Stamford CONNECTICUT 06902

Attorney of Record  Renee L. Duff

Type of Mark  SERVICE MARK

Register  PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator  LIVE

He should just use his real name. Kevin Nash made a good point about how promoters can't screw your over with trademarks if you use your birthname in the ring.