TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crick

How do you tansfer vhs to dvd

Guest Crick

I just recently purchased a laptop w/ a dvd burner and have been making great use of it. I want to begin transferring my vhs collection to dvd. What is the best method to do so. What do i need? I am completely in the dark on this one so some detailed help would be great? (ie: what products i need, and how do i do it?)

Well, on a laptop (unless it is a Mac), capturing video may be a bit tough. You would need some sort of capture card that has a video input so you can run a VCR to it. I'm sure some kind of device exists for a laptop, but I have never seen one.

Edit: I just looked on ebay and there are numerous devices. Just do a search for 'laptop capture card.' -Jim

Do you know anyone who works for a production or effects house?

Not sure if you were asking me.. I don't know anyone, but I'm a video production student and I'm just starting to scratch the surface with visual effects. I'm looking to get into post productionm when I graduate.

I'd have just bought the DVD recorder and hooked the VCR through it, that's what I did.

Course you can get those sweet 1 touch VCR/DVD recorder combos under 200 now.

I'd have just bought the DVD recorder and hooked the VCR through it, that's what I did.

Without a doubt. If you're just doing straight transfers, that's the best way to go. Shit, when I got mine, they were over $700!

Look, I just bout a DVD recorder, and that's what I want to do. Hook my VCR up to it so that I can transfer VHS to DVD.

I don't have a fucking clue how to set it up, though.

Do I need an S-Video cable to make things work?

I'm being serious here. This may be the stupidest question ever to you, but I swear, I might as well be a caveman when it comes to this. I do not know how to fix this shit right.

Look, I just bout a DVD recorder, and that's what I want to do. Hook my VCR up to it so that I can transfer VHS to DVD.

I don't have a fucking clue how to set it up, though.

Do I need an S-Video cable to make things work?

I'm being serious here. This may be the stupidest question ever to you, but I swear, I might as well be a caveman when it comes to this. I do not know how to fix this shit right.

Regular A/V cables (yellow, red, white) should work, since only Super VHS VCRs use S-Video cables.

What kind of DVD recorder is it? (Computer or home unit?)

Home unit.

I have to be doing something completely wrong, because I used regular A/V cables to hook it up to the TV, and nothing really seemed to happen at all.

Home unit.

I have to be doing something completely wrong, because I used regular A/V cables to hook it up to the TV, and nothing really seemed to happen at all.

Make sure you are using the correct inputs and outputs.

What brand is it? Does it have inputs on the front of it, or just in the back?

It's the cheap as shit CyberHome that was just on sale at Wal-Mart.

And it has inputs / outputs in the back, and another input in the front.

Most home DVDRs are designed to be used the same way a VCR would be. If you've ever taped from one VCR to another using A/V cables, the process is nearly identical.

1. Make sure a A/V output cable is connected from your DVDR to your TV.

2. Hook another A/V cable from the VCR's A/V output to the front inputs of the DVDR, and turn the VCR on (go ahead and push play, so there'll be an actual signal going from the VCR to the DVDR).

3. Cycle through all of the video input channels on the DVDR (either by pushing an "input" button repeatedly, or by pushing channel up and down on the remote) until you see the tape playing on the TV screen.

4. Choose a record speed and record using either DVD+R or DVD-R (depending on what type of machine it is).

The record speeds on the DVDR will go from a 1-hour mode (best picture and sound) to an 8 hour mode (terrible picture and sound). I generally use the 3 hour speed.

Guest wildpegasus

Most home DVDRs are designed to be used the same way a VCR would be. If you've ever taped from one VCR to another using A/V cables, the process is nearly identical.

2. Hook another A/V cable from the VCR's A/V output to the front inputs of the DVDR, and turn the VCR on (go ahead and push play, so there'll be an actual signal going from the VCR to the DVDR).

3. Cycle through all of the video input channels on the DVDR (either by pushing an "input" button repeatedly, or by pushing channel up and down on the remote) until you see the tape playing on the TV screen.

4. Choose a record speed and record using either DVD+R or DVD-R (depending on what type of machine it is).

The record speeds on the DVDR will go from a 1-hour mode (best picture and sound) to an 8 hour mode (terrible picture and sound). I generally use the 3 hour speed.

My DVD recorder works okay but I notice it has trouble with video motion at times most noticeably with the Dynamite Kid's speed and a double dosedo followed by a double Owen Hart/Chris Benoit dropkice.

My DVD recorder works okay but I notice it has trouble with video motion at times most noticeably with the Dynamite Kid's speed and a double dosedo followed by a double Owen Hart/Chris Benoit dropkice.

Yeah, that's one of the main drawbacks. I just try not to focus too closely on stuff like that.

I just bought this for $98.74.

ilo Progressive Scan DVD Recorder, DVDR05

Value-priced DVD Recorder. Records on +R/RW formats; slim design

DVDR05

0063135185222_500X500.jpg

It's probably going to break on me or something.

Guest Brian

I recently bought one over the summer. If you really want good quality recording, use flex mode (records to the minute, allows you to get best quality possible). I'm also going to buy a super VHS, as it gives you a better feed and better quality. And make sure you have a warranty.

I want to thank you for your help. The problem was that I needed an extra A/V cable to run, as you said, from the VCR to the recorder and then from the recorder to the TV.

Naturally, I didn't feel too good about things after the fact. I'm an educated man, I graduated law school, passed the bar on the first time, hell, I even qualify for Mensa, but I couldn't figure out I needed and extra fucking wire. How bright do you have to be? Apparently brighter than me.

Thank you again for all your help, it really is much appreciated. :D :headbang:

I want to thank you for your help. The problem was that I needed an extra A/V cable to run, as you said, from the VCR to the recorder and then from the recorder to the TV.

Naturally, I didn't feel too good about things after the fact. I'm an educated man, I graduated law school, passed the bar on the first time, hell, I even qualify for Mensa, but I couldn't figure out I needed and extra fucking wire. How bright do you have to be? Apparently brighter than me.

Thank you again for all your help, it really is much appreciated. :D :headbang:

Welcome to America, where even the mightiest of geniuses can be brought to their knees by a small blinking electronic device. :lol: