TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brian

Mapping out future UFC cards

Guest Brian

I've just been juggling ideas lately for the next group of card. I want to do this first for UFC, and then for PRIDE later. I think Rudo's attempted a topic like this in the past. UFC 56 is based off MMAWeekly Rumors. The Spike cards are making things a little more challenging, but it can be done. This is an ongoing things, as I'm trying to pair guys up as best as I can.

UFC 56:

- Matt Hughes vs Joe Riggs (Confirmed)

- Rich Franklin vs Nate Quarry (Confirmed)

- Sean Sherk vs Georges St.Pierre (Confirmed)

- Jeremy Horn vs Trevor Prangley

- Sam Hoger vs Jeff Newton

- Kevin Jordan vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

- Nick Thompson vs. Keith Wisniewski

Ultimate Fight Night 3 (1/16/06):

The first two fights are rumored at MMAWeekly and Chris Leben is said to be on the card. Fickett has a win under his belt against a TUF alum and Diaz has a loss, so this could be interesting, and both guys would be active on the ground. Baroni would bring the fireworks; the question is whether they think a Baroni return is worth saving for PPV. I think based on Cummo's performance against Stevenson, he has a good shot against Koscheck.

- Tim Sylvia vs Ausserio Silva

- Stephan Bonnar vs James Irvin

- Chris Leben vs. Phil Baroni

- Nick Diaz vs. Drew Fickett

- Luke Cummo vs. Josh Koscheck

UFC 57:

UFC wants to put out a strong card for Super Saturday. Assuming Hughes and St. Pierre both win, I think that they have to move on this fight. I think it'd be great if they put Karo back into the mix and the number one contendership-type deal should work out great. And Team Canada gets a double shot at titles, which could present a nice moment ala Benoit/Guerrero.

- Randy Couture vs. Chuck Liddell

- Winner of Rich Franklin/Nate Quarry vs. Louiseau

- Winner of Matt Hughes/Joe Riggs vs. winner of Sean Sherk/GSP

- Diego Sanchez vs. Karo Parysian

- Keith Jardine vs. Tra Telligman

UFC 58:

Well, the sacrifice for Super Saturday is that this card will get sniped at. Night of rematches, with Bonnar/Griffin and Swick/Leben. If TUF is in mid-swing by the time this PPV gets going (the deadline for applications is coming up so they could start filming by the end of January), it would make these match-ups all the more marketable. I have no idea when Lee Murray would be well but I want him on the first card I can get him on.

Andrei Arlovski vs. winner of Sylvia/Silva

Bonnar vs. Griffin

Swick vs. Leben

Lee Murray vs. TBA

Guest Big_Jay101

I don't see Cummo fighting Koscheck anytime soon, they already fought before, and UFC doesn't want to blow their wod yet on a TUF1 vs 2 matchup. Lee Murray would be great to have back except for his visa troubles, that is what kept him out of UFC 52. I see Fickett fighting Sanchez next, as he is one of the fighters talking about beating TUF fighters, he already fought Diaz and there is no need for a rematch yet. Sanchez fighting Karo is likely but I'd say they would throw him Fickett first, listen to Fickett's post UFN2 interview. Look for Jardine to move down in weight, he could probably beat Tra but, I don't see him fighting in HW matchups.

UFC 58: I can't see them throwing Griffin and Bonnar at us again, I think they will build them up seperately first instead of dropping one down before title contention. Leben-Swick, will happen eventually and UFC 58 is in April so that is a ways away so it could happen.

Guest Brian

With Griffin/Bonnar, strike while the iron's hot I say. It's still fresh in the memory and given a TUF season occuring around the same time, it would do great business. Given only one title fight on the UFC 58 card, you need something to draw well.

I more worried about Lee Murray's health than his Visa problems. I think they should tell him in advance, get all the paperwork straightened out, and then worry about booking him. I would love to see Lee Murray vs. Nate Quarry.

The problem with seeing Diego face off with Fickett is I feel the logical step for Diego is to move up in contention, and Karo seems to be that man. I could see Fickett going up against another Ultimate Fighter, maybe Cummo, but I can't see him going up against Sanchez. It's not a step-down for Sanchez, but alot of fans will see it as him staying in place rather than moving up towards the title. That's me feeling with putting together that fight.

I thought about Jardine moving down in weight, but given the openings in that division, I expect alot of the TUF guys to fight up rather than drop.

I don't think you should blow your load with that 57 card. No need to put THREE title matches on it. Just leave the LHW one, and save the WW and MW titles for the next show. The problem with every division below LHW in the UFC is that they are not treated as being on the same level. Letting them headline their own shows would solve that problem, and the only way to do that without avoiding the growing pains of having those shows bomb is by doing it while they have stars to build in those divisions, much like the TUF coaches. It's time that all the divisions started to gain equal respect, and right now is the perfect time to do it.

Guest Brian

I see where you're coming from, and I think that's what UFC 56 is attempting to do. I feel like what they need to do is push the winner of GSP/Sherk into the octagon after the Huges fight and have a face-off, and actually start promoting that fight off the bat, and do the same with Louiseau, so that all three title fight have some equal billing. It's a matter of letting the personalities shine and giving the fights quality time to build and exposure, and I think it's something that wrestling often misses. You need to have a broad focus as well as an inward focus on how things are being promoted, and I think both fights can hold their own on a card with Couture/Liddell in the end.