TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

New Japan to withdraw from Dome Shows after 1/4

At last, New Japan will evacuate the Tokyo Dome next year and attempt to downsize in Tokyo. Simon Inoki announced his plan to withdraw from the Dome for a while after 1/4, saying it was a hard decision to make, but one that will do the company good. New Japan still has a big fanbase across the country, especially in regions like Osaka, Kobe, Amagasaki, Kyoto, Okinawa, and Nagoya, but due to many of the worst decisions of recent years happening in Tokyo, the large Tokyo crowd has dwindled. New Japan has still managed to draw well at the 11,500 seat Tokyo Sumo Hall, but the Tokyo Dome has just become too large to run three times a year, and the situation has gotten very bad. New Japan has lost the spot as leader of the fighting industry to PRIDE and K-1 in the 2000s, and has tried many routes to regain it, but so far with no luck (although both PRIDE and K-1 may be beginning a downslide, with K-1 attendances starting to slip and PRIDE drawing just 6.8% for its latest TV special with Josh vs. Mirko). Simon is aiming at centering New Japan's Tokyo shows around Korakuen and Sumo Hall from now on (like in the 1980s) and regaining the trust of Tokyo. Riki Choshu's influence may have played into this decision, as he wants to focus on New Japan talent, but that has become impossible at the Tokyo Dome, where outsiders are needed. New Japan tentatively has Sumo Hall booked for February and March next year, and it'll be interesting what will replace the big Tokyo Dome show in May. Big buildings in some of the company's strong regions have not been touched and could be considered, like the 42,000 seat Kobe Wing Stadium or 43,500 seat Nagoya Dome.

From SSS

I'm surprised this wasn't already posted. New Japan should have done this a long time ago. When they got barely 11,000 for the one with Ogawa and Hustle K (Kawada), that should have been it.

This is really sad news. The Dome was to NJPW what MSG is to WWE and now both promotions have lost their big arenas.

Just a sad time in pro wrestling in general. I wonder how Stu and Co. are going to keep spinning this in the future because this can't be seen as anything but bad.

I wonder how Stu and Co. are going to keep spinning this in the future because this can't be seen as anything but bad.

He's downplaying it a lot, and is mostly talking about what areas New Japan need to run in instead of the Dome. He does say that he expects people to be cut from the roster, but for a news story as big as this he's not treating it like the big deal that it is. Basically, it's as you'd expect from New Japan's biggest mark.

It's a bad thing, but it'll be a positive thing as far as the future is concerned. Without running the dome 3 times a year, they're bound to lose less money than they have been. Which is definitely somewhere they needed help. Truth be told, it should have been done before last January's show. It also means they can use their next dome show (whenever that is) for a really special occasion, like Brock and Nakamura's first match after Brock is built up to be an unstoppable champ. Assuming they don't give it away at Korakuen or something.

It's a sad move, but it was for the best really.

Why exactly has wrestling lost its popularity in Japan? I'm sure a whole book could be written on the subject, but I'm looking for a summary of a few sentences, maybe a few paragraphs.

Why exactly has wrestling lost its popularity in Japan?  I'm sure a whole book could be written on the subject, but I'm looking for a summary of a few sentences, maybe a few paragraphs.

I think the two main reasons would be the rise in popularity of PRIDE and K-1, and in New Japan's case add to that the disaster of putting New Japan guys in shoots, and the lack of that new superstar to capture fans imagination like Muto and Chono did in the 90s.

Guest cosbywasmurdered

Also there's not really any hugely popular/talented Gaijin (excluding Brock) like Hansen, Vader, Gordy, etc. because the WWE has a lock on everyone in North America.

Guest *KNK*
Also there's not really any hugely popular/talented Gaijin (excluding Brock) like Hansen, Vader, Gordy, etc.  because the WWE has a lock on everyone in North America.

Except for the best worker in North America today...

The main thing is not creating any new native talent in drawing positions. Hell, basically NOAH is just the AJPW ME'ers from the 90's under a different name. NJPW is even more fucked from a star standpoint. While guys like Tanahashi and Nakamura are good workers, they haven't shown that star quality that Chono, Muto, and Hashimoto had in the late 80's, early 90's.

This might be sad news in a way but it was the right decision to make. THey cant even fill half of the Dome so why continue to have shows there? When/if they gain more popularity again they can always do a Dome show then. Right now I think they need to focus on whats working for them and to get the company back on its feet again.

The main thing is not creating any new native talent in drawing positions. Hell, basically NOAH is just the AJPW ME'ers from the 90's under a different name. NJPW is even more fucked from a star standpoint. While guys like Tanahashi and Nakamura are good workers, they haven't shown that star quality that Chono, Muto, and Hashimoto had in the late 80's, early 90's.

Nakamura has that star quality, he just has no one to "take the ball" from. Tenzan and Nagata aren't over nearly enough for that. Fujita would have to be given a long, dominant title reign to have the pro-wrestling credibility to fill that role. Basically, with Muto and Hashimoto leaving, NJPW was left with no one to pass the torch. Chono was a distant 3rd in popularity among the 3 musketeers, and he hasn't been a serious threat for a couple of years. NJPW's only hope now is that Brock gets over huge, because then they can put Nakamura or Tanahashi over him, which would in turn, make them huge. Then Nakamura and Tanahashi can start a long-running feud against against each other, and there you go. If Brock doesn't get over, then their only hope is that Nakamura wins a big MMA fight against a top opponent. Otherwise he might never get over enough to be a huge draw.

Guest Euronymous
While guys like Tanahashi and Nakamura are good workers, they haven't shown that star quality that Chono, Muto, and Hashimoto had in the late 80's, early 90's.

I think a Tanahashi G1 Final win next year over Tenzan or someone like that would remedy that.

It seems more likely that Nakamura'll win it. Well, everyone seems to think so. Any reason as to why you choose Tanahashi?

Pardon my ignorance, I respect your opinions tremendously so I'm just curious. :)

Guest cosbywasmurdered
Also there's not really any hugely popular/talented Gaijin (excluding Brock) like Hansen, Vader, Gordy, etc.  because the WWE has a lock on everyone in North America.

Except for the best worker in North America today...

Read the post. I said excluding Brock.

Guest cosbywasmurdered

If Joe is working in Japan I retract my statement. I meant to say there are no hugely talented Gaijin currently working in Japan. I apoligize.

At last, New Japan will evacuate the Tokyo Dome next year and attempt to downsize in Tokyo. Simon Inoki announced his plan to withdraw from the Dome for a while after 1/4, saying it was a hard decision to make, but one that will do the company good. New Japan still has a big fanbase across the country, especially in regions like Osaka, Kobe, Amagasaki, Kyoto, Okinawa, and Nagoya, but due to many of the worst decisions of recent years happening in Tokyo, the large Tokyo crowd has dwindled. New Japan has still managed to draw well at the 11,500 seat Tokyo Sumo Hall, but the Tokyo Dome has just become too large to run three times a year, and the situation has gotten very bad. New Japan has lost the spot as leader of the fighting industry to PRIDE and K-1 in the 2000s, and has tried many routes to regain it, but so far with no luck (although both PRIDE and K-1 may be beginning a downslide, with K-1 attendances starting to slip and PRIDE drawing just 6.8% for its latest TV special with Josh vs. Mirko). Simon is aiming at centering New Japan's Tokyo shows around Korakuen and Sumo Hall from now on (like in the 1980s) and regaining the trust of Tokyo. Riki Choshu's influence may have played into this decision, as he wants to focus on New Japan talent, but that has become impossible at the Tokyo Dome, where outsiders are needed. New Japan tentatively has Sumo Hall booked for February and March next year, and it'll be interesting what will replace the big Tokyo Dome show in May. Big buildings in some of the company's strong regions have not been touched and could be considered, like the 42,000 seat Kobe Wing Stadium or 43,500 seat Nagoya Dome.

From SSS

I'm surprised this wasn't already posted. New Japan should have done this a long time ago. When they got barely 11,000 for the one with Ogawa and Hustle K (Kawada), that should have been it.

New Japan will survive this. This needed to happen though.

Of course, the FA market in Japan might get interesting soon too if NJ is forced to cut a bunch of guys.

New Japan will survive this.  This needed to happen though. 

Of course, the FA market in Japan might get interesting soon too if NJ is forced to cut a bunch of guys.

Im not sure but isnt it a bigger threat to the promotion if they had continued to do Dome shows? I mean it must cost a great deal of money do have the place and when you cant fill it up you have to loose money on that.

While guys like Tanahashi and Nakamura are good workers, they haven't shown that star quality that Chono, Muto, and Hashimoto had in the late 80's, early 90's.

I think a Tanahashi G1 Final win next year over Tenzan or someone like that would remedy that.

Any reason as to why you choose Tanahashi?

Pardon my ignorance, I respect your opinions tremendously so I'm just curious. :)

Tanahashi is better than Nakamura in every way. The only reason Nakamura got the stronger push was because he has the shooter deal going for him. They gave Nakamura the superpush, it didn't work, and now the fans are pushing back.

Zach Arnold also reported how Nakamura wants to "bulk up" for his eventual match against Brock Lesnar.

He's going to look more juiced than Tanahashi now, just watch.