TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anya

Xbox 360

Guest guerillagenius

I don't know what you are talking about, because my 360 is incredibly easy to use, I can turn it off/on from the damn controller! I don't have to go through a bunch of stuff to start playing.

You can go straight to the game by...turning on the console.

The dashboard is there if you want to exit from the game at any time, but it never boots the dashboard on start-up.

I don't enjoy logging in/out, configuring console color, stupid icon pictures, time, date, parental setting, remote control types, or installing crap on my pc so I can see pictures.

This is stuff you'd only do if you had too much time on your hands. You have to log on to the "Marketplace" (reached through the dashboard) and browse through the categories of available skins/themes/colors for your Xbox (which you need to PAY for, anyway). This isn't a tedious process, but the option is so out of the way that a complaint about it is ridiculous. It's as if you're saying that you hate that there's a "Read first reply" option on this forum.

Other stuff: parental setting is defaulted at the start, and is not even an option unless you scroll to the page that has the option listed. Choosing an icon comes with the Xbox Live installation, which takes all of two seconds to choose the default picture to represent yourself. It's simply an avatar selection, except that it never comes into play or generates discussion because no one sees it.

EDIT: My only real complaints so far are the lack of a game library (expected), and the lack of Xbox Live Arcade games (expected, and slowly being fixed).

The guy who ranted is a joke. He's complaining about nothing at all, I can argue about anything....infact I'm going to.

1. I don't want a console with a fucking operating system. - Hope you don't want a PS3 then.

Why don't I want a console with an OS, dashboard, or anything similar?

I'm not a moron, and my time is valuable. Plain and simple. I don't enjoy logging

in/out, configuring console color, stupid icon pictures, time, date, parental

setting, remote control types, or installing crap on my pc so I can see pictures.

My gripe? I set up my 360 and it takes me 20 minutes to get to the goddamn

game. I'm not at work here. I don't want to be configuring a net appliance

when I am trying to relax.

Here's a hint for options for XBOX 720

Memory card

Sound Options

XBOX live

No "themes". I'm here to play games; I want to see the console screen a total

of three seconds per day if possible. I don't need a $5.00 Fast and the furious

theme. I really don't need that bullshit, and I will probably hate your company

more for foisting that upon me. What next? Hip Hop artist bootup sounds? Only

$2.99 each? "Playas xbox booting up, betta watch out, playa in the house!!"

It took him 20 minute to set up the game because the guy didn't read the instruction manuel or got confused on the way. It took me about 5 minutes to set the time, date, and to set up my xbox live account on my 360 and I just turned it on. Ok if you don't want themese for your desktop, deleate them cause you can do that and the 360 doesn't force you to pick a theme when you turn on 360 for the very first time. It makes it sound like the 360 is forcing him to go out and buy themes for his 360 or something. This entire quote is worthless as a argument. If you don't want it, don't buy it. Oh yeah if he doesn't enjoy logging in and out, theres an auto sign in he could use to solve that problem.

2. LOAD. SAVE. NEW.

Deviate from this at your risk.

Here I am playing Project Gotham Racing 3, and I decided I had made a poor

choice in car. I want to delete the game, start a new one. Can I do so from in

the game? NO. I have to exit the game, boot to the console, go to the menu

that manages profiles, select the profile, select the game, delete the save. Exit

the menu, restart the game, start the new game.

There goes five minute of my life, when you could have just put a "NEW" button

in the game. INEXCUSABLE.

Wait wait wait....he didn't like the car he was using so instead of quitting the race and picking a new car or "selling" that car and getting another one, he wants to start a new game....WTF? And if it seriously took him 5 minutes to deleate a small file, then this guy is doing something really wrong with the options menu.

3. Users

I wanted to delete a profile on the machine. Is there a "delete" button? No.

I have to exit that menu, go to the system menu, enter the manage menu,

delete the user, exit , exit, and go back to profiles. SIX MENU CHANGES to just

delete a profile. Well though out indeed!

Ok it took me 2 minutes to delete my friends profile from my xbox, actually its right next to the same option to deleate video game saves.....why he'd have a tough time doing this?

4. Advertising and bloatware.

My XBOX 360 HDD shows up as 12GB. That's right , 12GB. Guess what the rest

is! I examined the contents and I find advertisement for adidas, several other

"scoops" and a 350+ mb video about.... the HDD of all things. Now stop me if

I'm going off the path here, but If I have made it to the menu that browses

video on the HDD, I obviously DO NOT NEED to watch a video abouthow to use

the XBOX 360 hard drive.

P.S. You already have my $50 for PGR3. I don't need to see in game ads for

Madcatz (they make all the crappy controllers), virgin megastore, or western

union. Western union?? I soon expect to see ads in games for suppositories

and adult diapers.

Got news for you jerky, game makers are going to be putting advertising in their games as well, so get used to it and dont' blame Microsoft for putting videos THAT YOU CAN DELETE on your 360, because you'll be seeing ads in video games a lot more.

5. XBOX live harassment.

I enjoy being pelted with reminders with every step I take in some games that

I COULD BE ONLINE if I just paid for xbox live. I could have a social rank,

emails, competition, and other sorts of things I am trying to leave behind by

playing video games. No thank you. Upon logging in, you'll be subjected to a

constant stream of "fag fuck fag fuck nigger shit fag noob fag nigger". Promptly

remove headset and file it away. You won't have need for it again.

Soooo to solve this problem, you unplug your headset or hey you do games with your friends and why does he make it seem that you can only find the insults on Xbox Live? This happens on every online game and NO ONE can say it doesn't.....well ok I'll make an exception for Disney's toon town online game.

6. Controllers.

I really enjoy it when the XBOX 360 arbitrarily decides that I am player two.

Lacking any convenient switch that selects 1-4 on the controller, I must resort

to endless button pushing, controller syncing, battery removing, and eventually

hard console restart due to the lack of a 1-4 slide switch on each controller.

This is so much better than say, playing a game.

So you turn on controller 1, make sure your logged in. Hit the little white button on the front of your console and player 2 plugs in...READ THE FUCKING MANUEL IF YOU CAN'T FIGURE THIS OUT!

7. Logging in. Amusing conflicts ensue.

I loaded Project Gotham after Perfect Dark, and no matter of logging in and out

would remove an error message about too many profiles. It was impossible to

start a new game, even after the person logged out. Hard reboot ensued.

Lovely. I was unable for the first time in gaming history, to put a game in a

console and hit start. I was forced to manage "profiles" instead.

I'm Confused here. I don't get what he was trying to do. Perfect Dark Zero lets you make your own profile when you start a new game. I think he wanted to log out of his main profile that is set for the 360....but I don't see the point of that unless a friend of his wanted to use their own profile but you get an option to switch the profile in profile settings in the guide menu.

8. Console + Start buttons = hilarity

Not only do you have a start button for your friend to accidentally hit during a

game, there is also a console button. Combine any order of console, start or

start, console for maximum frustration.

I'm not gonna argue this point because he is actaully right...to a point. I've hit the guide button by actcident while playing fight night during a fight and almost lost the round because of it. But I think the makers of games should have their game pause if you hit this button by accident. I don't think Microsoft has much controll over that.

9. Living by the airport.

The xbox 360 is not quiet. I would term it as "fucking annoyingly loud" to

be exact. It alternates between loud whooshing and quiet humming.If you

have a silent pc like me, it sounds like a 120mm fan on full blast.Which is really

annoying considering A. It costs $400. B. No console has ever made annoying

background noise the entire time it's on. It's like playing games with a

hairdryer in the room set to low.

Apprently he doesn't own a PS2, because I can hear those clear across a room.

10. Backwards compatibility.

Lies. Plain and simple.

Can I put any Xbox game in ? No. Halo 2, yes.

So what do I do? Log onto a computer( if you have one), download, burn, insert

load patch. Mind you some games unsupported.

If someone said that your car ran on petrol, but made you go home, download

a new ECU code, flash the car computer, and some types of petrol would never

work, you'd be at his door with a lit torch and said petrol.

Plain and simple, it's bullshit. By the time you do all the steps to get your game

to work, you could have turned on your old Xbox and been playing quite some

time.

So its a work in progress for Microsoft. I'll say this, Microsoft waited to long to decide if they wanted backwards compatibilty but at least they're doing it by some extent. And what steps do you have to do to have the game work? Here I'll list them for you.

Step 1. Sign in to Xbox Live Which is automatic if you have the right setting.

Step 2. Insert game

Step 3. your asked if you like to download a patch so the game will work, click Yes

Step 4. 2 minutes and the patch is downloaded

Whats so hard about this?

11. Frustration and the Japanese.

I don't want to dislike the Xbox 360. I've played countless hours of DOA4.

The hardware has real potential. These first gen game bear tidings of much

much greater things.

But...

A healthy serving of frustration, ineptitude, crudeness, and unwanted

set-top-box advert money whoring. The xbox 360 just strikes me as being too

crude and unrefined for it's price. To the Japanese, it's just crude, hard to use,

unfriendly, noisy, feels of old technology.

Soooooo ummmm whats your point here to make a number 11 gripe?

:gas: In short I love my 360, but it's a love-hate relationship.

Ok so it's not as complicated as he was making it out to be? Because if it is I was going to freak. I just want to insert game and then play. I suppose you can do that.

Thanks for commenting, Scroby. I've yet to actually see a non-display 360, so I have no freakin' idea how valid those concerns were or were not.

Like Scroby, alot of those gripes can be answered by reading the maual. In my case, I still haven't opened the manual since purchase two months ago and I've yet to be stuck for more than a few seconds with a feature I didn't understand.

My initial setup took me a few minutes, because you set up you XBox Live account, billing address, user name, preferences, and other one time only setup options. Everything else is simple. I've had no problems or confusion about it at all. This guy just sounds like he wanted to bitch about anything, no matter how insignificant it may be.

Guest Princess Leena

Lies. Plain and simple.

He's right on this.

MS fucked up bad here.

I don't care that MS is working on it... still many people don't have broadband to get the fixes.

Guest Princess Leena

Not to everyone. There's lots of people that have no desire for online gaming.

Not to everyone. There's lots of people that have no desire for online gaming.

I would be one of them. I don't like playing games with other people unless it's a game with my friends. I just like going through story mode. Plus I don't play games very much and the people that play on XBox Live usually do thus making them absurdly good and therefore not fun for me to just repeatedly get my ass kicked.

What are some good fighting games for the XBOX 360?

I want to get Fight Night R3 since the realness of it appeals to me, but I figured there would be some hardcore gamers here that could direct me in the way of a solid, replayable fighting game.

I've played the demo of FN R3 and right now that seems to be what I might get.

What are some good fighting games for the XBOX 360?

I want to get Fight Night R3 since the realness of it appeals to me, but I figured there would be some hardcore gamers here that could direct me in the way of a solid, replayable fighting game.

I've played the demo of FN R3 and right now that seems to be what I might get.

There is only two fighting games at the moment and thats DOA 4 and Fight Night Round 3. They're both solid games, I would say get both but if you don't want both of them and only one....well it depends. DOA 4 is a great fighter game and Fight Night is a great boxing game. So you either want a boxing game or a fighter.

Ok so it's not as complicated as he was making it out to be? Because if it is I was going to freak. I just want to insert game and then play. I suppose you can do that.

No not at all, its really simple to set up the information.

Guest guerillagenius

I think I may trade in DOA4 since I constantly get my ass handed to me by the computer. What happened to easy settings for us crappy button mashers!?!

I think I may trade in DOA4 since I constantly get my ass handed to me by the computer. What happened to easy settings for us crappy button mashers!?!

Itagaki decided to make a better game, that's what happened.

...wait, I just saw you get your ass handed to you by the COMPUTER.

---

As far as fighting games go, the Street Fighter 2 on Xbox may be indefinitely delayed, due to the fact that Capcom is trying to make an online fighting game. If you don't get this joke, you've never played a Capcom fighting game on Xbox.

Lies. Plain and simple.

He's right on this.

MS fucked up bad here.

I don't care that MS is working on it... still many people don't have broadband to get the fixes.

To be fair, MS never promised across the board BC, because they know that it's an engineering nightmare. And you don't need broadband to get the fixes, either. Hell, you don't even need a computer.

Guest guerillagenius

The problem I have with the computer is they just beat your ass non stop, they don't let you get up or anything...seems really cheap.

The problem I have with the computer is they just beat your ass non stop, they don't let you get up or anything...seems really cheap.

That's impossible. Dead or Alive 4 has only the slightest amount of ground game, wherein the engine only allows for one, count it, one hit while the opponent is down. You just need to learn how to get up properly.

And I would love an opponent who threw nothing but strikes all day. Free counters.

Guest Princess Leena

Lies. Plain and simple.

He's right on this.

MS fucked up bad here.

To be fair, MS never promised across the board BC, because they know that it's an engineering nightmare. And you don't need broadband to get the fixes, either. Hell, you don't even need a computer.

It is possible to connect to Live with dial-up... but, most people don't know how. Plus, dl'ing would take forever.

Lies. Plain and simple.

He's right on this.

MS fucked up bad here.

It is possible to connect to Live with dial-up... but, most people don't know how. Plus, dl'ing would take forever.

You don't need Xbox Live to get the patches. Your Xbox does not need to be plugged into any sort of Internet to get the patches. You can burn it onto a CD from the web, or even have the CD mailed to you.

You have to attack the computer just as hard. It's a good way of playing the game, I learned to be really fierce while playing anyone weather it be computer or player on DOA and one thing that you really should learn is the countering system. Knowing the system helps A LOT, i suggest picking the person your best with and doing the excercise mode in training so you can learn the training system.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster
SHSIBAE has learned that Microsoft is rumored to begin offering downloadable HD movies later this month. At launch time, (possibly late November), 1000+ hours of video will be available to rent or purchase through an Xbox 360 connected to XBOX Live. Feature length movies will require a short caching period before viewing, which should be just long enough to make some popcorn, grab a beer, and find your favorite blanket.

Rented videos will run about $4. A renter will supposedly have a couple weeks to start watching a rental, and then a day or so to finish a rental that they have already started. Presumably, rental downloads will self-erase, but we haven't heard specifics. Likewise, we do not know the cost to buy a title, but we except Microsoft to keep their pricing in line with Apple's selection through iTunes ($10-$15).