TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anya

Xbox 360

What's the deal with the audio adaptor that comes with the Xbox HDMI cable? Why would it be needed?

My buddies that I'm staying with have an Elite but a standard def TV. They gave me the HDMI cable for when I head back home in a few months - will I need this adaptor? HDMI does audio and video, so I'm perplexed.

World Series of Poker 2008: Battle for the Bracelets is one of many games (albeit only 4 for the 360) that are on sale at Circuit City this week for $9.99. It reviewed well, averaging a 7.5-8/10. I don't know how to play poker, but I want to learn and it has tutorials. I figured that I may as well pick it up for that price. if anyone else gets it, let me know.

So I hooked up the 360 I picked up while in the US (hooray for lower prices, lower taxes, and no duty because I was out of town on vacation!) and right away, I found myself in love with hooking my camera up and looking at the photos I took on vacation on my HDTV. Beautiful.

On a weird note, when I started playing GTA IV today I was told the system had to do an update, so I said ok. Then it said "could not perform update - go to the Xbox support website" and I couldn't do anything else. I shut the system off then turned it back on and everything seems to be fine.

It's for people who don't have a HDMI port in their sound systems. If I did I could route the Xbox 360 HDMI cable through the system and then have the sound system hooked up to the TV.

So I could use just any old HDMI cable to connect the 360 to the TV or does the 360 specifically require that I use a the 360 HDMI cable?

It's for people who don't have a HDMI port in their sound systems. If I did I could route the Xbox 360 HDMI cable through the system and then have the sound system hooked up to the TV.

So I could use just any old HDMI cable to connect the 360 to the TV or does the 360 specifically require that I use a the 360 HDMI cable?

Any HDMI cable will work, if that's the only cable you need to use. If you want an optical cable to run from your 360 to an audio receiver, or for some reason, you need to use old RCA stereo (red & white) connections, you'll need that extra bit that comes with the official MS package. It's not possible to plug in an HDMI cable, and the cables included with the system at the same time. (Some people figure MS did this on purpose, so you'd buy their $50 package, rather than spending $6 at Monoprice.)

Best arcade games IMO:

(in alphabetical order...since I'm looking at the list that way)

Alien Hominid HD

Assault Heroes/Assault Heroes 2

CastleVania: SOTN

Cloning Clyde

Doom

Geometry Wars

Ikaruga

Jewel Quest

Prince of Persia

Puzzle Quest

Rez HD

Sonic/Soinc 2

Uno

Zuma

These 2 may still be available for free so check for that:

Aegis Wing

Texas Hold'em

And if you have the camera you can get this peice of shit for free too:

Totemball

As always check out the free trial demos before purchasing.

Achievments Shachievments. I'll be playing games to play games, not make flower petals in Hexic HD.

Of course, I say this because I've only unlocked 4 achievments in my few day old 360 gaming career. I don't want to become one of "those people" but it seems to warp everyone else so we'll see.

Ah...there was a time when I didn't care about achievements. Then I ran into a little game called Condemned. And it gave me 10 points for finding a bird. It wan't necessary to complete the game...but it gave me 10 points. Then I found another bird...and another. I kept racking up points and then when I got them all...it gave me 50 points.

And that was the end of me.

Now...I am addicted.

Achievments Shachievments. I'll be playing games to play games, not make flower petals in Hexic HD.

Of course, I say this because I've only unlocked 4 achievments in my few day old 360 gaming career. I don't want to become one of "those people" but it seems to warp everyone else so we'll see.

It is pretty addicting, and I will go for achievements if they seem both attainable and fun. But fuck trying for 1000/1000 just to have it. Most games have at least a couple achievements that are nigh impossible. That, and I play call of Duty 4 online more than any other game, and COD4 has no online achievements.

So i bought my first couple of Arcade games today and I honestly can't remember but was Golden Ax always such a short game?

I never played Golden Axe, but since you bought 2 games I figured you should know about this deal:

http://ebm.email.xbox.com/c/tag/hBINv9HAly...92IBUf/doc.html

It's a free game, so you may as well, right?

Hell to the yeah I may as well, Thanks alot man.

I'm new to the whole Xbox thing and have another question. On Xbox live if you buy the gold membership is just for the one profile or can it be used for a couple profiles?

I got a 360 last week and I bought:

TMNT, Fatal Fury, Paperboy, Puzzle Fighter, Street Fighter, and Contra.

Target had a sale on those point cards so I picked two of them up.

I'll happily do some run-throughs of TNMT, Street Fighter and Paperboy with ya, all of which I have; keep in mind my score whoredom.

F.Y.I.- The Target coupon for $10 off any 360 game has been sued by many (although some stores may be strict and not allow ti) to take $10 off the 1600 point cards, which are of course on sale for $14.99 this week. *In the tune of the Subway commercial jingle* FIVE DOLLAR POINT CARDS!

F.Y.I.- The Target coupon for $10 off any 360 game has been sued by many (although some stores may be strict and not allow ti) to take $10 off the 1600 point cards, which are of course on sale for $14.99 this week. *In the tune of the Subway commercial jingle* FIVE DOLLAR POINT CARDS!

Wait what coupon do you speak of?

Wait what coupon do you speak of?

I can't link to the thread at CAG since you have to be a member to view it, but a scan was posted of a coupon which is good till 6/9. There are 2 parts. The top part specifies that it is only good on 360 games, but many people hae used only the bottom part with the expiration date and bar code.

Just resize, print, and use:

xbox10offbackvv9.jpg

I'm addicted to the concept of AP's and checking out what ones people on my friends list have that I don't. That didn't take long!

I'm not going to go play awful games or do things that are ludicrously difficult just to get them, but I think the concept is "fun".

I enjoy it, too. I'll send you a friend request, Venk. I can always help you with co-op achievements for games we both have. I guess that would just be TMNT for now. I have GTA IV, of course, but no achievements for co-op there.