TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in College Football 11/21 - 11/26

In LSU's defense, they actually scheduled Arizona for a 2-game series back in the year when Arizona was actually ranked #4 in the country (2001 or 2002?).

So who is Ohio State supposed to play again? I really don't want the Buckeyes to win a BCS game so I want to know if the team they're facing has a chance.

I think all the BCS teams except WV could take them though......well maybe not ND. I don't know with ND.

What about WV? Does anyone think they aren't getting respect or are they really not that good?

So who is Ohio State supposed to play again? I really don't want the Buckeyes to win a BCS game so I want to know if the team they're facing has a chance.

I think all the BCS teams except WV could take them though......well maybe not ND. I don't know with ND.

What about WV? Does anyone think they aren't getting respect or are they really not that good?

WVU is underwhelming. Great record, but one of the things that drags them down is the fact they play in such a pathetic conference now. If they would have done this last year with Miami, VT, and BC all there people would be on their bandwagon.

WVU is underwhelming. Great record, but one of the things that drags them down is the fact they play in such a pathetic conference now. If they would have done this last year with Miami, VT, and BC all there people would be on their bandwagon.

They lost the toughest game on their schedule, Virginia Tech, but they're not too bad of a team. They'll be scary next year as they don't play VT but get mostly everyone back.

WVU's schedule was so soft last year, despite playing a "down" V-Tech team (they lost early in that season but won the ACC anyway), that there were fears they'd go undefeated and sneak into the title game.

WVU will get a chance to vindicate their season in a BCS bowl. If they beat any of the other teams people will give them respect as a legitimately strong team (unless something horrible happens in the conference championships and produces something like an FSU-WVU matchup).

Ah goody, so it doesn't matter that Brian Brohm is hurt and we may well job out to UConn this week.

And by the way, WVU isn't getting near the Big East title again next year. They gotta come to Papa John's Stadium and U of L is going to ROLL their asses.

Think about how great it would be if there was a 16 team playoff though, like I-AA. Take a look at the top 16 in the new poll:

1 Southern California 11-0 1615 1

2 Texas 11-0 1570 2

3 Louisiana State 10-1 1447 3

4 Penn State 10-1 1430 4

5 Virginia Tech 10-1 1332 5

6 Ohio State 9-2 1276 7

7 Notre Dame 9-2 1252 6

8 Oregon 10-1 1144 8

9 Auburn 9-2 1126 9

10 Miami (Fla) 9-2 989 10

11 UCLA 9-1 942 11

12 West Virginia 9-1 932 12

13 Georgia 9-2 899 13

14 Alabama 9-2 758 14

15 Texas Christian 10-1 740 15

16 Louisville 8-2 600 17

Imagine how cool it'd be to have USC/U of L first round, Texas vs. TCU, an LSU/Bama rematch, Penn St./UGA, a WVU/Va Tech rematch, Ohio St. vs. UCLA, Notre Dame/Miami, and Oregon/Auburn.

Ah goody, so it doesn't matter that Brian Brohm is hurt and we may well job out to UConn this week.

And by the way, WVU isn't getting near the Big East title again next year.  They gotta come to Papa John's Stadium and U of L is going to ROLL their asses.

Think about how great it would be if there was a 16 team playoff though, like I-AA.  Take a look at the top 16 in the new poll:

1 Southern California 11-0 1615 1

2 Texas 11-0 1570 2

3 Louisiana State 10-1 1447 3

4 Penn State 10-1 1430 4

5 Virginia Tech 10-1 1332 5

6 Ohio State 9-2 1276 7

7 Notre Dame 9-2 1252 6

8 Oregon 10-1 1144 8

9 Auburn 9-2 1126 9

10 Miami (Fla) 9-2 989 10

11 UCLA 9-1 942 11

12 West Virginia 9-1 932 12

13 Georgia 9-2 899 13

14 Alabama 9-2 758 14

15 Texas Christian 10-1 740 15

16 Louisville 8-2 600 17

Imagine how cool it'd be to have USC/U of L first round, Texas vs. TCU, an LSU/Bama rematch, Penn St./UGA, a WVU/Va Tech rematch, Ohio St. vs. UCLA, Notre Dame/Miami, and Oregon/Auburn.

Get TCU the hell out of there and we're good to go

Eh, well TCU is 10-1 at least and would provide a fun little matchup for Texas that'd have some local interest. They'd get killed of course, though they did beat OU.

All those great games, and Iowa goes and schedules a creampuff disguised as a name program.

In fairness, they probably scheduled Syracuse back when they were all right. Weren't they a 9-win team as recently as 2001? I never can tell what games have been in the making for 4-5 years, and which ones came up lately.

Speaking of, what the hell happened to the Syracuse and Arizona programs. They borth completely fell off the map and are stinking it up for the last few years. Especially the Orange. They're god awful

To be fair, this match-up was originally scheduled for next year (as well as 2007).

It seems that the schedule was made as a Big East stipulation to increase prestiege for both, because they have Pitt scheduled in 2008.

Eh, well TCU is 10-1 at least and would provide a fun little matchup for Texas that'd have some local interest.  They'd get killed of course, though they did beat OU.

In all reality OU would probably romp TCU if they played today.

Speaking of,  what the hell happened to the Syracuse and Arizona programs.

The first thing that comes to mind with Syracuse was firing Paul Pasqualoni, which might have been justifiable after a couple of mediocre seasons, but I thought it was weird just because it's always seemed to me that college coaches are tenured like professors: If you manage to keep your job for six years or so, you're practically unfireable thereafter

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2238850

With the way Reggie Bush is playing I don't know if it hurts USC that much at all. I'll let the guys that know USC both comment on it though. Assuming he's even hurt so badly he won't play.

Unfortunately for UCLA, Reggie Bush getting more carries is a good thing for USC.

I will say the cool thing about Reggie Bush is that when he fucks up he turns around and redeems himself. I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that everytime they screw up(which is rare for him to screw up). But I mean like last year he had a big fumble against UCLA that looked like it might turn the tide. After USC gets the ball back he goes back to being solid.

This year against Fresno. He fumbles and Fresno takes the lead then on the next drive he gets just about all of USC's yards en route for the game winning run by White.

In LSU's defense, they actually scheduled Arizona for a 2-game series back in the year when Arizona was actually ranked #4 in the country (2001 or 2002?).

No way in hell was UofA ranked even top 25 those years. Maybe in basketball.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/index.cfm?page=timeline

Arizona hasn't played in a BCS/Bowl Coalition/Bowl Alliance game in over a decade. I can't imagine they'd have been ranked all that high (certainly not #4) without playing in any of these games. Did they play in a Rose Bowl I'm forgetting about? Arizona State was ranked as high as #2 in 1996 and played in the Rose Bowl.

EDIT: looking at those numbers reminds me just how fucking insane that 1995 Nebraska team was. They absolutely killed a 12-0 Spurrier-led Florida team for the championship.

Arizona was ranked like #3 in the beginning of 1999, but got squashed by PSU and I don't think they have been ranked since.

How many national titles does USC officially have? I know they claim a ton of titles but how many have they officially won?

A friend told me that if OU claimed all of their national titles(undefeated seasons, other awards from smaller magazines) that they'd have like 15. Cool.

How many national titles does USC officially have? I know they claim a ton of titles but how many have they officially won?

A friend told me that if OU claimed all of their national titles(undefeated seasons, other awards from smaller magazines) that they'd have like 15. Cool.

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html

This page is a good resource for this info.

Princeton has actually won the most titles ever followed by Yale I think.

Arizona was ranked like #3 in the beginning of 1999, but got squashed by PSU and I don't think they have been ranked since.

I had my year wrong... it was 1998.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/polls_1936_present.html

Arizona finished 4th in both polls in 1998 and was ranked #3 in the pre-season 1999 poll.