TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Mario Kart DS

I picked up MKDS on Monday night. I'm loving it so far. The new tracks are pretty good, and it's nice to see tracks from the SNES, N64, GBA, and GameCube installments, some for the first time in 3D.

I'm an owner of all the previous installments in the series (except GBA), but this may become my favorite. The best thing about it is the multiplayer connectivity. I haven't even tried wireless online play yet, but I played multiplayer (one cart only) with my cousin, and even better:

I flew from LA to Chicago Tuesday night. Out of 7 people in my row on the plane, myself included, 4 of us had DS systems with Mario Kart. We played all 8 cups- 32 races- and loved every minute of it. It was competitive til the end.

If you own a DS, you need this game. If you don't own one, but are a Mario Kart fan, buy a DS now.

Haven't got it yet. The thought of playing multiplayer online is tempting, but having to be in a McDonald's to play isn't.

Why is it that the WiFi places for DS online play are all McDonald's in my area?

McDonalds and Nintendo made a partnership. So you can go into McDonalds get like a shake or fries or a meal and just hang out and play on your DS for a bit. If I was back in Middleschool or early highschool I'd probably spend a lot of time there with friends. But not really now and you don't have to go to a McDonalds to play the DS online, all you need is a wireless router or you could go to Nintendo.com and get this cool little device that plugs into your laptop or computer in a USB port and it acts like a wireless router for the DS. It's about 35 bucks and right now you can get only get it at Nintendo.com

Out of 7 people in my row on the flight from Los Angeles to Chicago last Tuesday, 4 of us had DS systems with Mario Kart. We played all 32 courses against each other, and it fucking rocked.

I guess I got a router free last year. I'm ready to go. I figure we can use this thread to post our friend codes/set up times to play. My code is:

It seems to be a question of ease of use vs. versatility. With a router, you, well, you have a router, but you have to do the setup for the router, and then the setup on the DS. With the USB connector, it's a one-time install off a CD and you're good.

Having no want or need of a router, I'll opt for the USB. Given that, if you give me a few weeks I can give you a first-hand account of how it works.

So who is everyone using? I'm big on Toad, he's quck out of the gate, but I have trouble on the later 100cc and the 150cc circuits. I always seem to be behind and it's hard to catch up. Any suggestions?

Guest OSIcon

Has anybody spent any time playing the game online yet? I am getting a DS and Mario Kart soon and the only negative comments about the game that I have read center on the WiFi play.

OK, should I even bother with Nintendo's USB WiFi accessory or should I just get a router?

I'd go with the router... all I had to do was unplug all the cords from my wired router, plug them all back into the wireless router (which still has slots for wired connections) and install the router on my computer. Then on your DS you just search for a connection and your router should show up. Cheap routers have got to be around the same price as the dongle, and you could use it for wireless internet someday even if you have no need for it now.

Edited by claydude14

Oh COME ON.

So I get through all the 150cc courses, and I'm thinking "wow, outside of the mission mode, this is it...wonder what cool unlockable I'll get now? MIRROR MODE. F that noise. I "won" THIRTY-TWO MORE RACES! Bah. This game is the shit, though. Highly addictive.

Oh COME ON.

So I get through all the 150cc courses, and I'm thinking "wow, outside of the mission mode, this is it...wonder what cool unlockable I'll get now? MIRROR MODE. F that noise. I "won" THIRTY-TWO MORE RACES! Bah. This game is the shit, though. Highly addictive.

Well, it adds replay value. I just hope that it's not as difficult as

mirror mode in Double Dash. I loved that game and played it nonstop, but once I got mirror mode, I gaveit up. I had mastered the original courses, but couldn't do them in reverse.

Oh COME ON.

Well, it adds replay value. I just hope that it's not as difficult as

mirror mode in Double Dash. I loved that game and played it nonstop, but once I got mirror mode, I gaveit up. I had mastered the original courses, but couldn't do them in reverse.

That mode is easy in DD. You just turn in the opposite direction. After playing through a couple times, it should be no problem.

Are spoiler tags really needed for mario kart of all things?

I'm going to be getting a DS with this game in 2 weeks.

Edited by Renegade

Theoretically the same should hold true for DS. I'm still pissed, though.

Wait, why are you pissed. It's just more stuff in the game. Like Matt Young said, it adds replay value.

@#$%!!

I'm not pissed. I was just expecting, like, one of the Koopa kids to be unlocked or something.

I'm not -- dammit Matt, use the spoiler tags! -- I'm not feelin' Dry Bones. He was never like a big deal. Just straight-up Koopa would have been a better choice, I thought.