TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Annabelle

artists you don't get

Just check out Freak Out!, Overnite Sensation (or) Sheik Yerbouti, and Hot Rats in their entirety. If there's nothing there you fancy, add him to the list of artists you don't get. Guy's the master of the concept album.

I'm pretty sure the CD store back home has all of those used, so I'll check him out when I visit the parents for the holidays. Thanks for the shortlist.

I don't know. Maybe it was the Mountain Goats.

Speaking of which, I don't get the Mountain Goats.

And Electric Warrior is the best T. Rex album and it is really very good. It seems like Marc Bolan sort of lost his shit shortly thereafter.

Tool's fanbase, I find, is either mostly comprised of stoners or people trying to listen to the band since they're "different." I think they're a good band, not as great as most people make them out to be, but they have to grow on you in order for you to like them, really. A lot of the music is just noise, but there are quite a few nuggets of terrific songwriting thrown in there. Maynard also is a damn decent writer, albeit overrated by the HUGE Tool fanatics.

Also...what don't you get about Slayer, lovecraft? I think it's funny you say King is a good guitarist when it's pretty obvious Hanneman is the better guitarist of the two (hell, the two biggest Slayer songs - "Angel of Death" and "Raining Blood" - were penned by him) and leave out the awesomeness of Dave Lombardo's drumming.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Just check out Freak Out!, Overnite Sensation (or) Sheik Yerbouti, and Hot Rats in their entirety. If there's nothing there you fancy, add him to the list of artists you don't get. Guy's the master of the concept album.

I'm pretty sure the CD store back home has all of those used, so I'll check him out when I visit the parents for the holidays. Thanks for the shortlist.

I could go on for pages about my Zappa adoration, but those were the four that hooked me bigtime. I heard Freak Out! for the first time at a single digit age, and thought "Help I'm a Rock!" was hilarious, but remembered nothing else about the album.

"Trouble Every Day" was so far ahead of its time that it's still ahead of today. That song's attitude, and the use of sampling in the couple tracks after it could almost be construed as hip hop protoplasm before there was such an idea.

i cannot ever get over bang a gong. fuck, is that song horrible it ruined t rex like money ruined pink floyd for me. lately i've come to the geenral conclusion that i am a total musical pansy & i require sugary hooks for nearly everything. it must sound beautiful, or the musicianship better compensate for lack of that. the harder the better in that instance.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Tool exist solely to get people to like King Crimson and Neurosis, or to please folks who can't grasp those bands.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
i cannot ever get over bang a gong.  fuck, is that song horrible  it ruined t rex like money ruined pink floyd for me.  lately i've come to the geenral conclusion that i am a total musical pansy & i require sugary hooks for nearly everything.  it must sound beautiful, or the musicianship better compensate for lack of that.  the harder the better in that instance.

Dude, that album is nothing but awesome pop/rock hooks.

Tool, Radiohead, Coldplay, U2.

Outside a few decent songs, all those bands are way overrated.

Coldplay is as vanilla as can be

Radiohead is not overrated, you are wrong.

U2 circa '83-'88 is awesome stuff. They had more than "a few decent songs." In fact, they had several very very good songs, and a great cohesive album in The Joshua Tree. The Popmart/Zoo TV stuff was stupid, though, especially on the heels of the Negativland lawsuit, and the new album is vanilla like Coldplay.

I don't listen to Tool

As for the Mountain Goats, the songwriting is great; but John Darnielle can only take his tunes so far.

I cannot disagree more about Tool. Not only are they great, but Lateralus is brilliant and one of the best albums of the last 10 years. That's right. That album you like by one of your favorite bands? Lateralus is better than it.

i'll try electric warrior again, and skip over bang a gong. seriously, i heard that song on the album & shut it off. i went through 20 eyars of ym life without knowing t rex was associated with that garbage. sorta like iggy pop with real wild child.

fuck.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I liked them almost that much until I heard more King Crimson and Neurosis.

KC's Red is Tool better than Tool. Neurosis is bigger and more heady. Try The Eye of Every Storm. It's got more of a metal flavor, and is easier to listen to than say Through Silver and Blood, which is my favorite album of the 90s.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
If Vyce is gonna like Tool, he can't throw Zappa under the bus for pretentious wank

Tool's not bad at all given the parameters I listed.

You can't tell me Zappa doesn't have some masturbatory solos. I love them, believe me, but they are masturbatory. Like "Willie the Pimp."

Tool and Radiohead seem quite similar as far as I've seen

Both had breakout hits in 1993, then spent future releases seeming to actively fly just under the radar and become the two most underground mainstream (mainstream underground?) bands I've ever seen

I don't really get post-OKC Radiohead at all.

I get U2's music and why they're so popular but I only like them in a Greatest Hits kind of way. I was always more of an REM man.

I certainly get Super Furry Animals and own a couple of their albums but they seem to be regularly praised in overly gushing terms by many critics. They haven't even released a particularly good album for ages.

ornette coleman, for reasons listed in the jazz thread. charles mingus too, i always thought he was kinda bland.

franz ferdinand. finally got the debut album, and aside from some standout tracks it really isn't as catchy as i was told it would be.

Tool's fanbase, I find, is either mostly comprised of stoners or people trying to listen to the band since they're "different." I think they're a good band, not as great as most people make them out to be, but they have to grow on you in order for you to like them, really. A lot of the music is just noise, but there are quite a few nuggets of terrific songwriting thrown in there. Maynard also is a damn decent writer, albeit overrated by the HUGE Tool fanatics.

Also...what don't you get about Slayer, lovecraft? I think it's funny you say King is a good guitarist when it's pretty obvious Hanneman is the better guitarist of the two (hell, the two biggest Slayer songs - "Angel of Death" and "Raining Blood" - were penned by him) and leave out the awesomeness of Dave Lombardo's drumming.

You know, now that I think about it, the musicianshp in the band is awesome. It's just that I find there lyrics kinda hokey sometimes. Then again, I love a lot of bands that have hokey lyrics (i.e. Front Line Assembly). I guess it comes down to the fact that I like slower, doom/stomer metal more than thrash metal. Or Black Metal, which I think is the stupidest form of music in existence, though I know Slayer isn't Black Metal. Then again, that's only my opinion.

Also, good points about Tool.

Some people say Slayer laid the ground-work for Black Metal, but almost everyone knows it was Venom, Celtic Frost and I forget the other band that started out Black Metal.

Some of Black Meal is definitly cheesy (Dimmu Borgir for sure)

Some people say Slayer laid the ground-work for Black Metal, but almost everyone knows it was Venom, Celtic Frost and I forget the other band that started out Black Metal.

Bathory

I don't really get post-OKC Radiohead at all.

Electronic + jazz. Idioteque and Kid A are derived from Autechre and Aphex Twin, Treefingers from Brian Eno. National Anthem harkens back to Charles Mingus, Morning Bell to Brubeck, and then there's some tinges of jazz in Pyramid Song, You And Whose Army, Dollars and Cents, and Life In A Glass House.

Not to mention despicably racist.

As for myself, I don't quite get the Velvet Underground. Maybe I need to hear more of their stuff.

Edited by Spine Upon the Pine

Not to mention despicably racist.

Totally. Burzum anyone? (Really shitty band, I might add)

That's about the only notable NSBM band though

Most black metal that I know of isn't racist. Anti-Christian, yes. Racist, no.

Also, Dimmu Borgir rocks, so there.

Buck Bowen

Noizewave

A lot of people start with the VU & Nico and are turned off by Nico. (I like the album).

Maybe try to pick up a copy of 'White Light/White Heat'. It's really loose and frantic sounding, and is quite a bit of fun. I like all of the stuff by VU, but they realeased a few widely varied albums and hung it up.

As to Queens of the Stone Age, you have catchy hooks, sexy songwriting, some nice guitar work, and some nice, stuttery stop/start moments. They're also an incredibly fun band live. Through happenstance, I've seen them live three times.

Edited by Special K