TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HandofFate

TNA Impact! rating back to normal

That timeslot is just brutal.

It's getting next to impossible to stay up that late in the winter.

TNA's audience is 0.8, it doesn't improve or decrease. When the one on Saturday drops, the number for the replay is up by the point missing.

Spike should do more than word of mouth to promote it though. NBC still runs WWE ads during sporting events while I don't recall seeing one TNA ad outside of SpikeTV. Christ a billboard in a major city would be an improvement.

It's fucking Saturday at 11.

I don't think any show gets above a 1 during that timeslot. Well, maybe AS does, but that is about it.

It's fucking Saturday at 11.

I don't think any show gets above a 1 during that timeslot. Well, maybe AS does, but that is about it.

They didn't promote the Primetime Special.

TNA gets zero promotion from Spike. They gave them promotion during RAW that one time and that was the end of it.

Fucking Spike TV. God I hate them. Giving an unproven wrestling company national airtime, not charging them a cent for it unlike their previous arrangement, and providing advertising for them. Not to mention giving them Prime Time specials. Fuck them. 11 O'clock airtime, god they suck. They're killing TNA.

Yeah, I have access to a pretty good amount of insider news and shit and haven't heard about a buyrate for BFG. If it were good, they'd have paraded the number out already.

*TNA Headquarters*

Dixie Carter: So how do we break it to the IWC about this low buyrate?

Jeff Jarrett: Silly, just say no one cares about Samoa Joe vs Jushin Liger... if they don't buy it, toss out the AJ Styles vs Christopher Daniels excuse. That'll do it.

Dixie Carter: Ok whatever you say, you dreamy man!

Guest J-Man

I've always wondered about TNA Buyrates, have they ever released ANY?

I know there are websites where you can pretty much see every WWE and WCW PPV buyrate, and I'd like to see how TNA's buys have been doing, and how they've increased over time, what cards drew well, the difference between the FSN/Internet Streaming/Spike TV era PPVs Buyrates etc... but I really don't know if you can actually see the numbers anywhere.

What do people around here think they are getting? WCW #s near the end? About a .10?

These ratings are all fine and dandy, but what I want to know is what is the buyrate for BFG and Genesis.

That you haven't heard anything about BFG yet should tell you about the buy rate for that one.

How exactly does TNA make money? It doesn't seem like they sell a lot of PPVs, they don't get much if anything in the way of live ticket revenue and I'm guessing the same applies to their TV dealings as well. They can't be making all that much on merchandise, so I'm kind of curious and you seem like the guy to ask.

How exactly does TNA make money? It doesn't seem like they sell a lot of PPVs, they don't get much if anything in the way of live ticket revenue and I'm guessing the same applies to their TV dealings as well. They can't be making all that much on merchandise, so I'm kind of curious and you seem like the guy to ask

Well your question wasn't directed at me, but I'll take a hand at answering it: they don't. At least not yet anyway. TNA has lost tons of money and was only sustained by a financial backer willing to absorb the losses with the hopes of turning the tide. I don't know what they're looking like now, but all signs are now pointing to them significantly reducing there budget. They went from running shows every week to every other week (they were doing 4 at a time at one point), for the first time in there history they aren't paying to be broadcasted (they were paying FSN something like $300,000 per episode) and they finally are getting their merchandise into stores. That extra $30K a week, along with whatever the DVDs are bringing in (and I have read that they are doing well) should bring them closer to the break even point. What would put them on the other side of it is expanding their PPV audience, which was around 25,000 I believe during the FSN era, and eventually adding a live gate. Hope that helped.

How exactly does TNA make money? It doesn't seem like they sell a lot of PPVs, they don't get much if anything in the way of live ticket revenue and I'm guessing the same applies to their TV dealings as well. They can't be making all that much on merchandise, so I'm kind of curious and you seem like the guy to ask

Well your question wasn't directed at me, but I'll take a hand at answering it: they don't. At least not yet anyway. TNA has lost tons of money and was only sustained by a financial backer willing to absorb the losses with the hopes of turning the tide. I don't know what they're looking like now, but all signs are now pointing to them significantly reducing there budget. They went from running shows every week to every other week (they were doing 4 at a time at one point), for the first time in there history they aren't paying to be broadcasted (they were paying FSN something like $300,000 per episode) and they finally are getting their merchandise into stores. That extra $30K a week, along with whatever the DVDs are bringing in (and I have read that they are doing well) should bring them closer to the break even point. What would put them on the other side of it is expanding their PPV audience, which was around 25,000 I believe during the FSN era, and eventually adding a live gate. Hope that helped.

Thanks. I knew they weren't turning a profit, but I was just curious as to where their revenue streams were coming from. I hope they succeed, it just seems like their plan for the time being is not to lose as much money as before on a monthly basis, but at some point they need to get in the black figures.

Guest SavageRulz

I have never seen any of the TNA PPV buy rates since they went to the monthly shows over a year ago. I don't think they have ever paraded them, good or bad.

Guest Bulwark
They are also getting $300,000 a year from Morphoplex.

I heard on some radio show(either the LAW or BTR) that they were getting 200k every 2 weeks from them... 300k a year sounds more reasonable.

Fucking Spike TV.  God I hate them.  Giving an unproven wrestling company national airtime, not charging them a cent for it unlike their previous arrangement, and providing advertising for them.  Not to mention giving them  Prime Time specials.  Fuck them.  11 O'clock airtime, god they suck.  They're killing TNA.

Honestly, if I was running Spike, I'd do what they seem to be doing and put a lot more of my muscle behind UFC right now than TNA. I'm sure that, since TNA seems to have a base audience of about .7 on Saturday nights/Monday nights, Spike is pretty happy with that and is probably relying more on word of mouth from the fans to further build an audience. Their first prime time special was on pretty short notice remember, so I'm sure the next one will get a little more play from Spike.

I think, when the story of 2005 is written, SPIKETV will probably end up as the biggest power player and influence on the wrestling industry, and 2006 will probably end up the same way.

SPIKETV is taking chances when no one else is. They are fucking around and experimenting and taking risks, and sometimes that's a good thing. And in this case, it is.

I think what people have to realise, though, is that SPIKETV cares only about SPIKETV. They don't care, and the probably don't even WANT, TNAs PPV's to do well because TNA PPV's run in competition to SPIKE programing. Ditto the UFC. But SPIKE is very supportive of both TNA and UFC and in 2005, after all that has happened with the wrestling industry, that a national network is willing to nut up like they have is pretty fuckin impressive.

Remember that Spike is owned by Viacom.

The really should give them a more viable slot, especially if TNA is going to raise Impact to two hours. The old Thunder slot is a nice step up.

The really should give them a more viable slot, especially if TNA is going to raise Impact to two hours. The old Thunder slot is a nice step up.

I'd say that even the old WCW Saturday Night slot would be a step-up from where they are now, which is infinitely better than where they were at this time last year, so I'm not complaining.

I'd say that even the old WCW Saturday Night slot would be a step-up from where they are now, which is infinitely better than where they were at this time last year, so I'm not complaining.

Spike TV doesn't do start times 5 minutes after the hour though.

Spike TV doesn't do start times 5 minutes after the hour though.

That's called the "TBS Time System". :lol:

Fucking Spike TV. God I hate them. Giving an unproven wrestling company national airtime, not charging them a cent for it unlike their previous arrangement, and providing advertising for them. Not to mention giving them Prime Time specials. Fuck them. 11 O'clock airtime, god they suck. They're killing TNA.

I think what most people have a problem with is that Spike isn't taking full advantage of what has the makings to be a very good promotion. Jeff Jarrett issues aside I enjoy(or I should say "enjoyed" since they shut my cable off) watching this but the time slot is terrible. Wed at 9pm would be fine. I don't believe it would really be competing with anything. Ratings would improve thus leading to more buyrates for PPV and then the sponsor time costs more which leads to Spike recieving more cash.