TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

WWE Files A Very Interesting Trademark

From PWInsider.com

On November 2nd of this year, WWE registered the trademark "WORLD WRESTLING FEDERATION", with the usage explanation being, "Entertainment services, namely, the production and exhibition of professional wrestling events rendered live and through the media of television; providing wrestling news and information via a global computer network." At this point in time, WWE is prohibited from using the WWF name due to the lawsuit that they lost with the World Wildlife Fund a few years ago. Whether they are covering their bases or plan to make an offer to the Fund which will allow them to use the name again isn't known at this time.

Probably not, but "Get the F Back" would be a hilarious plea to regain fans that were lost over the past several years by boring storylines and uninteresting characters (Triple H, Chris Jericho, Angle).

They can use the name World Wrestling Federation all they want, they just can't use the letters WWF to market themselves.

Guest SavageRulz

They probably trademarked it so they don't have to edit out the name on the old DVD's and blurr the image on those old tapes

Please God let it be so. I have always thought WWE sounded incredibly lame. I think what they should do is simply do a technicality and have the announcers call it the "World Wrestling Federation" and beep out "WWF" if necessary (much like on 24/7).

Please God let it be so. I have always thought WWE sounded incredibly lame. I think what they should do is simply do a technicality and have the announcers call it the "World Wrestling Federation" and beep out "WWF" if necessary (much like on 24/7).

They beep it out? Awesome. This is for the Fucking Intercontinental Championship.

Probably not, but "Get the F Back" would be a hilarious plea to regain fans that were lost over the past several years by boring storylines and uninteresting characters (Triple H, Chris Jericho, Angle).

Out of all the uninteresting characters WWE has had since 2000, you use Jericho and Angle as examples?! The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin 2002-, The McMahon's and Randy Orton say hello.

I think this is just a way to ensure they can use "World Wrestling Federation" in past videos, and 24/7. Also, I believe they have trademarked "The World Wrestling Federation", but maybe they are just making sure they get it without "The" too?

Or who knows. Maybe Vince wants WWF back. Considering all the money they made last quarter, maybe Vince wants to invest back into it in this way.

And I certainly would not be dissapointed if they do so.

Edited by HartFan86

Guest tony manero

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm a psychic. I'm clairvoyant.

And you guys said my "Bring back the World Wrestling Federation" thread didn't make sense :)

Do you know how much it would cost to get the rights to use the "WWF" trademark?

1. Trademarks need to be renewed every 10 years.

2. The WWE must have had "World Wrestling Federation" trademarked a long time ago.

3. "World Wrestling Federation" was never involved in the trademark dispute.

Guest Manus

They really should go back to the WWF name. After all, the word entertainment doesn't really fit since most of the shit they put out nowadays isn't the least bit entertaining.....for example, John Cena.

If he does get the chance to use WWF again, I'd say debut it at WrestleMania 22.

Start the show with an announcement that "WWF IS BACK!" or something.

Beats the shit out of "The Power is Back".

Since this doesn't really change the last three years of crap, in combination with the already-published edited DVDs, I can't say I'm terribly excited.

You know what'd be cool? If the WWE got to call themselves WWF again, and then they showed Stephanie waking up to find Triple H in her shower and the last 3 years had all been just a dream.

edit: That was a "Dallas" reference, for those of you too young to remember the 1980s. :P

Edited by Mister Jerk

Guest tony manero

Instead of referring to it as "WWF", they can call it "Federation" for short like they would in those old WWF magazines.

Guest Andrew J.
Maybe they are just renewing the trademark.

I don't think the WWE has enough money to pay the Fund for the use of the initials.

How much money would that be, do you think?

Guest tony manero

Maybe they are just renewing the trademark.

I don't think the WWE has enough money to pay the Fund for the use of the initials.

How much money would that be, do you think?

If Vince encloses a very genuine, heartfelt, apologetic letter to go along with it, perhaps a "$10-15 million dollar donation" would suffice.

Instead of referring to it as "WWF", they can call it "Federation" for short like they would in those old WWF magazines.

That's what they should've done 3 years ago.

Guest tony manero
The trademark is for WORLD WRESTLING FEDERATION not the initials WWF, so please get over the initial change!

They obviously cannot trademark the initials WWF, when the World Wildlife Fund currently has ownership over them.

And like I mentioned, they don't even need the initials WWF, because they can just refer to the company as "Federation" for short.

The fact that WWE trademarked the "World Wrestling Federation" NOW, as opposed to three years ago, is a bit suspicious, I must say.. And for those who think it's to avoid blurring "World Wrestling Federation" on old video footage, that was never an issue in the last three years.

Guest tony manero
To buy the initials, I can't see WWF letting them go for under 1 billion dollars.

That's ludicrous. Just like how they claimed that much in damages because Vince was also using the name. I don't know how Vince's dumbass lawyers couldn't prove this in court.

Most brands that have worldwide recognition are valued at over a billion dollars. The WWF in particular, which relies heavily on its brand name to get donations and support, probably values their brand more than most corporations. To compromise their brand name, even by licensing to the WWE and putting restrictions on the initials, would require -in my view- hundreds of millions in compensation. But the WWF doesn't appear to want to let the WWE use their initials, even if there was compensation.

WWE was 100% in the wrong in this situation. Damage would have been easy to prove for the WWF. Go up to anyone on the street and say "WWF" and see what their reaction is.

Guest tony manero
Most brands that have worldwide recognition are valued at over a billion dollars. The WWF in particular, which relies heavily on its brand name to get donations and support, probably values their brand more than most corporations. To compromise their brand name, even by licensing to the WWE and putting restrictions on the initials, would require -in my view- hundreds of millions in compensation. But the WWF doesn't appear to want to let the WWE use their initials, even if there was compensation.

WWE was 100% in the wrong in this situation. Damage would have been easy to prove for the WWF. Go up to anyone on the street and say "WWF" and see what their reaction is.

Wasn't one of World Wildlife Fund's main arguments that people would mistakenly send their donations to Vince? I don't see how most people, who associate WWF with professional wrestling, would adversely affect a NON-PROFIT organization like the World Wildlife Fund.

Couldn't the same thing be said for the WWE threatening legal action against fansites?

Look at it from an internet perspective. Someone types "WWF" in a search engine, instead of getting results linking Fund websites, they get wrestling websites.

I never heard any complaints regarding mistaken donations, though.