TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ace309

Teaching Intelligent Design Found Unconstitutional

The opinion in the Dover case was released today. In it, the judge (John E. Jones III, a Bush appointee) found that teaching Intelligent Design in public schools is contrary to the Constitutions of the United States and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

It's a long opinion, but on skimming it seems very well-written (though I'm inclined to agree with the result regardless).

I'm not familair with the American school system but don't you guys have like Catholic or Christian schools? I mean a public school should have nothing to do with religion so why are these people trying to force their beliefs into a place where they don't belong.

I'm not familair with the American school system but don't you guys have like Catholic or Christian schools? I mean a public school should have nothing to do with religion so why are these people trying to force their beliefs into a place where they don't belong.

Because its just as much of a theory as evolution is.

Because if your force feed your beliefs enough, someone might just say to hell with it and believe it

Beats the hell out of me, but hey, I was actualyl in favor of it being taught.

I believe it would be laughed out of the curriculum so fast it would be an even BIGGER embarassement to those idiots.

Now if we could only get that math and science nonsense taken out of schools. Actually, get rid of everything but Gym class and Advanced Basketweaving and our future is secure.

Edited by CheesalaIsGood

Now if we could only get that math and science nonsense taken out of schools. Actually, get rid of everything but Gym class and Advanced Basketweaving and our future is secure.

Basketweaving! BASKETWEAVING? You sanctimonious son of a bitch. Teaching basketweaving in schools is an insult to people of faith everywhere. Baskets are FAR too complex to have been 'weaved' as you put it. Clearly there is some higher, more omnipotent force that is responsible for the all baskets in God's glorious universe. I call for all the good responsible citizens to rise up and protect American families from this 'basketweaving' nonsense being taught in our schools, and join me in lobbying the school boards to introduce Intelligen Basket Creation as an alternative.

You can't have Gym class because it might make the fat kids feel bad when they can't do one push up.

Of course, this ruling won't stop people with a 3rd grader's understanding of science from claiming our liberal courts are trying to outlaw belief in God.

I honestly don't see how anyone can say that the idea that the entire human race is the result of brothers and sisters having babies together 6000 years ago is somehow more credible than species changing slowly over time into new species.

Hopefully this won't have any effect on "Smith vs. Asgard Board of Education" case on Odin-telligent Design.

When you said Asgard I thought of Stargate SG1 and imagined those little alien guys having a board of education and having to explain things to Richard Dean Anderson.

On a different note, I've seen it mentioned in at least 3 or 4 different sources that the ruling was 139 pages long. That seems like an accomplishment until you realize they used 2 inch margins and size 16 font.

He can create our planet in under a week but cant be bothered to prevent children from being raped or starving to death...rock on Lordo ;)

On a different note, I've seen it mentioned in at least 3 or 4 different sources that the ruling was 139 pages long. That seems like an accomplishment until you realize they used 2 inch margins and size 16 font.

Don't forget that it's written in legalese.

One paragraph by a normal person = ten pages by a lawyer

Its Under-Water Basket Weaving that essential to our democracy

Okay... what is that referencing? Because I've heard it before.

Anyway, there's nothing "intelligent" about ID. But everyone knows that already, except morons.

Shit Newtonian physics have been proven to be incorrect. Should we be teaching that? People have all kinds of crazy historical theories. Should we teach that maybe the Holocaust didn't happen?

If a kid can't reconcile being taught evolution with a belief in God, maybe his faith was going to be tested by other things. Like the Bible sometimes contradicting itself.

I was taught evolution in Catholic school. They seemed to think we were smart enough to make our own decisions on sorting out the matter.

Shit Newtonian physics have been proven to be incorrect. Should we be teaching that? People have all kinds of crazy historical theories. Should we teach that maybe the Holocaust didn't happen?

If a kid can't reconcile being taught evolution with a belief in God, maybe his faith was going to be tested by other things. Like the Bible sometimes contradicting itself.

I was taught evolution in Catholic school. They seemed to think we were smart enough to make our own decisions on sorting out the matter.

Someones going to hell...

The Catholic Chruch holds that there is no conflict in evolution and the existence of God. Nice to see they use common sense sometimes, if only they'd let pepole use birth control.

It's easy to rationalize the Theory of Evolution with Genesis.

1. At some point, there had to have been one fully-developed (physically) man and woman on the planet, and only one of each. They're Adam and Eve.

2. Figuratively, their mutation spawns the race of human beings we are now.

3. It's never said how long, EXACTLY, each day is in the first week. It doesn't say if the days were 24 hours long, so they could have been 25 hours long...or a few million years long...

1. At some point, there had to have been one fully-developed (physically) man and woman on the planet, and only one of each. They're Adam and Eve.

3. It's never said how long, EXACTLY, each day is in the first week. It doesn't say if the days were 24 hours long, so they could have been 25 hours long...or a few million years long...

Why would there only be one man and women to fully evolve at the beginning? Was there one male and one female mosquito in the beginning too?

The Bible wasnt written at the beginning of time...they had a sense of time by the time the novel was written

Uh, I think you missed the part where evolution says things evolve. Meaning there would not have been a fully developed man at the beginning. It's not possible to rationalize Genesis with evolution unless God wasn't being literal when he said "man" and what he really meant was "single celled organism"

And your grade in science class was...?

Guest JMA

How would Adam and Eve's offspring sidestep the whole incest thing? Wouldn't we all be a bunch of genetic freaks if we descended from just two humans?