TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hadley

If Bret stayed in the wwf in 97,,

Guest Hadley

If bret hart hadnt left the wwf in 1997 and vince could afford to keep paying him, do you think the attitude era still would have happened? After all, bret was offended by the "raunchy" content and the marketing of guys like austin as babyfaces,,so do you think that if bret was still around we would have seen stuff like dx, austin , evil mcmahon, the hardcore belt, val venis, godfather, etc?

I think they would have done the same stuff, but I don't necessarily think it would have worked as well. A lot of people got into the WWF right after the Montreal Screwjob, it was a landmark moment. Without that I'm not sure when or if they would have passed WCW.

Bret has always said that he really likes Austin so I doubt he would have been the problem and the Attitude Era was alreadyunderway before Bret left...I'm sure that Bret being there for the big run would've been badass but I always figured the Montreal factored into all those people getting back into WWE and then getting caught up in Austin, HBK, Sable and the Rock....watch some of the last Raw's Bret was on...it's pretty surreal...and his stuff with Team Canada versus WWF was full of Attitude....

What the hell kind of questions are those? Were you watching in 97?

The attutide era started at the latest in early 97, with Bret cursing on live TV, Austin being one of the top faces saying that he didn't give a damn about the fans and attacking other faces and cheating, etc.. but probably late 96 with Austin going to Pillman's house with a gun.

DX was there when Bret was around obviously. He gave them their name.

If Bret was still around, would we still have Austin? I don't know what that could possibly mean. Why wouldn't they still have Austin?

Bret didn't leave because Vince couldn't afford to keep paying him. Quote from Bret's website, "October 24, 1997: McMahon, before the show at Nassau Coliseum, told Hart that the money situation in the company had changed and they would have no problems paying him everything promised in his contract."

They mightn't have stumbled upon evil Vince without Bret leaving. And that was really the catalyst for Austin becoming the biggest star of the decade.

Other than that, it probably wouldn't have made much difference had he stayed.

Guest TFP

Hart wanted more money from wwe to make turner giving more money.

He was a business man, he wanted money , he wanted Vince to offer him more money that wwe could afford.

It is good that he left wwe.

He was a business man, he wanted money , he wanted Vince to offer him more money that wwe could afford.

I really hope that you're kidding, otherwise you have a complete and total lack of understanding as how the whole thing happened.

:lol: :lol: wtf?

Honestly, Bret wouldn't have lasted much beyond WM 14 even if he had stayed. The only reason to keep him around that long would be to have a WM rematch with Austin and truly put Austin over and job the belt. But if he's there where do you put Shawn on the show?

I figure Bret wouldn't have had much left to do beyond WM in 98, since he likely wouldn't get the title back, and Vince would have had no problems simply releasing Bret and getting out of the contract (and with no competition Bischoff could have scooped Bret up for less money too). By 1998 Bret would have seemed like an out of touch relic in the WWF, almost like Backlund circa 1994. The tension of Bret initially being out of touch in 97 created some excellent drama, but by 98 the forces of Attitude had clearly won out and Bret was anachronistic.

Honestly, Bret wouldn't have lasted much beyond WM 14 even if he had stayed. The only reason to keep him around that long would be to have a WM rematch with Austin and truly put Austin over and job the belt. But if he's there where do you put Shawn on the show?

I figure Bret wouldn't have had much left to do beyond WM in 98, since he likely wouldn't get the title back, and Vince would have had no problems simply releasing Bret and getting out of the contract (and with no competition Bischoff could have scooped Bret up for less money too). By 1998 Bret would have seemed like an out of touch relic in the WWF, almost like Backlund circa 1994. The tension of Bret initially being out of touch in 97 created some excellent drama, but by 98 the forces of Attitude had clearly won out and Bret was anachronistic.

I think, if Brett had stayed the following would have happened:

Bret jobs the belt to Austin at '98 WM

Bret then goes on to feud with Shawn Michaels during the summer 98, finally beating him for good to end their feud

The whole Rock/Mankind/Vince doublecross storyline would not of happened as it did; Brett would take Mankind's role, as we'd see Brett and Vince join forces for the common goal of destroying Austin and the Rock, only to have Brett be betrayed by Vince, the Rock, and Owen Hart, who would take Shane MacMahon's place in that particular storyline. Bret would win then drop the belt to Rock who then drops the belt to Austin. Meanwhile HHH and Shawn finally have it out with HHH kicking Shawn out of DX around January 1999 to set up their a match between the two at Wrestlemania while Owen and Brett have it out in their own WM match.

You could easily toss in Mick Foley into the Brett/Owen feud by having him ally with Brett out of disgust over Owen disrespecting his brother and use that to elevate Mick into the upper card. And HHH can be Austin's next opponent when he regains the belt while Shawn and Rock feud to set Rock up to turn face again.

Guest psychology

You should read HBK's book and stop believing "wrestling with shadows"... you would see the truth...

Guest Heat Machine
You should read HBK's book and stop believing "wrestling with shadows"... you would see the truth...

Yeah, believe one man's opinion over contradicting video evidence. Lemme get right on that.

The problem with that entire scenario is that Bret beating Shawn would kill off Austin's main threat for the title. If we're assuming Bret hangs around we can also suppose Shawn is still in decent health, and of course still a heel with DX. Shawn would have been right there waiting for his shot, UT and Kane would have wanted shots, and so on. There is simply nowhere else to go with Bret, thus I figure Vince would have ended up releasing him anyway.

How about this:

Bret beats Shawn at Survivor Series

Bret beats Undertaker at the December PPV after Shawn interferes

Bret beats Kane at the Rumble when Shawn interferes again. Austin wins the Rumble, eliminating Shawn.

Bret faces Undertaker, Kane and Shawn Michaels in a four-way at the February PPV (and maybe making it a tradition for the February PPV to have a four-way main event) pinning Kane after Shawn superkicks Kane. On the undercard, Austin pins Hunter.

Austin beats Bret for the WWF Title at WM XIV. Shawn pins Kane on the undercard after cheating and hitting the superkick

Bret and Vince join forces to get the WWF Title off of Austin because Austin is not proper championship material as he’s too uncouth but Bret is the classy champion that Vince wants as the face of his company.

Shawn is still after a singles match for the title. Kane and Undertaker want title shots against Austin because they feel Shawn cheated them out of a fair title match. Austin has no problems against facing Shawn. Undertaker or Kane once they earn a shot, because he doesn’t care who he faces, and he’s also got Bret and Vince, along with Owen thrown into the mix, to fend off. That gives Austin PPV main events against Shawn, Bret in a rematch, Undertaker and Kane, as well as a Raw main event against Owen. Not only that, they could go with Bret and Owen against Austin a three-way, like they did with Kane and Undertaker in real life. They could have Bret and Owen win the tag titles to set up their three-way match with Austin, with the backing of Vince who wants the classy champion to be the face of his company. Shawn and Hunter can be the punks who want the WWF Title and can be put with Kane and Undertaker in a program.

Interesting scenario but what about Foley? Does he ever factor into your fantasy booked world?

He tries to join with Vince and Bret, but they reject him because he's too weird. Austin doesn't want him, and Shawn and Hunter laugh him off, so he could try and appeal to Undertaker and Kane because he is as psychotic as they are. Maybe put that trio together as a psychotic and devilish unit. Alternate between one of them going after Austin with the other two going after the tag titles.

HTQ - I liked your idea...except I think the first Undertaker-Kane match should have bben saved as a big drawing card for WM14, especially with your booking lacking the buzz factor of Mike Tyson.

Interesting scenario but what about Foley? Does he ever factor into your fantasy booked world?

He tries to join with Vince and Bret, but they reject him because he's too weird. Austin doesn't want him, and Shawn and Hunter laugh him off, so he could try and appeal to Undertaker and Kane because he is as psychotic as they are. Maybe put that trio together as a psychotic and devilish unit. Alternate between one of them going after Austin with the other two going after the tag titles.

See, I was thinking of Shawn and Hunter using Mankind, similar to how Vince used Foley in reality. It would open for comedic moments and really get Shawn and Hunter over as dick heels, building a sympathetic figure in Foley that would build to Shawn/Foley as the co-main event program for Raw.

Snuff- Tyson still could have had the same effect that he did because that was still about his interactions with Austin. While Tyson and the DX thing was a part of it, the shock effect was Austin going after Tyson.

Bret and Tyson could have easily had a "mutal respect" deal.

as for Taker/Kane, I think UT/Shawn would better then Kane/Shawn as far as quality and interest was concerned. Kane could've been used elsewhere on the card, Owen for instance would have been a good choice.

HTQ - I liked your idea...except I think the first Undertaker-Kane match should have bben saved as a big drawing card for WM14, especially with your booking lacking the buzz factor of Mike Tyson.

Maybe in laying the foundation of the Vince/Bret alliance, he could put Owen in there instead of Undertaker or Kane, with the idea that he only wants Bret as champion, and that in return for making sure Bret stays champion, Owen gets an IC title shot.

If you want Mike Tyson in, keep him in the role he had in real life, but have him stay with Bret under the guise of wanting to turn a new leaf, but he turns on Bret and Vince because he's a rebel at heart just like Austin.