TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
UZI Suicide

Sorting out the World Title picture

For the first time since the brand extension it looks like there is a very good chance that both of the champions heading into Wrestlemania will be faces. I believe the last time a face went into WM as the champion and defended it against a heel was Wrestlemania 11 with Diesel vs. HBK, but that wasn't even the main event. The Rock-Stone Cold at WM 17 had a face as the champion but they were both faces.

Batista is the World Heavyweight Champion on Smackdown and most likely won't lose the title before then. He isn't even really feuding on anyone on his own show right now. I guess there's a rumor that he's going to have a match with Kane on PPV, but I can't see any way he drops the title to Kane.

A possible match for him is vs. The Undertaker, which would probably main event. While that obviously wouldn't be the greatest technical wrestling match of all time, it would probably be the most intriguing main event in quite some time because both have so much to lose, and you really have no idea who's going to win, unlike most years.

Then we have Cena on RAW, and while its still possible that he loses the title in the Elimination Chamber, I'm not counting on it. The only guy besides Cena who could possibly win it, IMO, is Kurt Angle. But then who would he defend it against at WM? Unless they have Cena win the RR and drag their feud out two more months (and I hope they don't), I can't see it happening. There's really no other face on the roster big enough for Angle to defend against, so I see Cena retaining.

So then who does he face at WM? Unless they bring over someone from Smackdown like Randy Orton, it will probably be Triple H. I guess Edge could use his MITB contract, but that will probably happen at the Royal Rumble, because John Cena vs. Edge doesn't exactly scream "Wrestlemania" to me. So HHH vs. Cena.. a lot of people are tired of Cena as champion and want him to drop the title, but most people don't want HHH to be the one to win it.

Very odd, IMO, I guess because I'm so used to seeing the babyface win the Royal Rumble and then go on the 2 month title chase to Wrestlemania.

For the first time since the brand extension it looks like there is a very good chance that both of the champions heading into Wrestlemania will be faces. I believe the last time a face went into WM as the champion and defended it against a heel was Wrestlemania 11 with Diesel vs. HBK, but that wasn't even the main event. The Rock-Stone Cold at WM 17 had a face as the champion but they were both faces.

Eddie was a face for WMXX.

Edited by Hawk 34

HBK is going to be the heel champion at WM. Him and Vince are are going to screw Cena out of the title at NYR and Cena will go on the chase to get some of his heat back.

That's my prediction.

Cena is only a week or so away from passing JBL's title reign in length, BTW, as well as Batista with the World Heavyweight Title. I just realized that this second.

Like you said, it'd be stupid to take the title off of either Cena or Batista at this point since it's been so long. Batista has to be facing Taker, Orton, or Mysterio at this point since there's no one else, and I wouldn't mind seeing any of those matches. Personally, I'm pulling for Mysterio the most.

Meanwhile, Cena has only HHH or HBK (and maybe RVD, but that's really stretching it). We've already seen the HBK match, so I figure HHH has to be the choice, probably through winning some tournament or battle royal, as opposed to winning the Rumble. If it is Cena-HHH, it'll at least be fresh.

HBK is going to be the heel champion at WM. Him and Vince are are going to screw Cena out of the title at NYR and Cena will go on the chase to get some of his heat back.

That's my prediction.

Interesting.. never thought about that. I figured what happened on monday was leading to HBK vs. Vince, but I could really see another "screwjob" happening.

well at least itll be something different than the uasual face wins teh rumble and wins the title at mania. I have a feeling that it will Batista who loses at Mania, only after turning heel (if it is a match vs Taker)

I think Cena should be the one who turns at NYR. Vince screws HBK in favor of Cena, who drops the rap gimmick and becomes Vince's new "corporate champion". Then Orton wins the rumble so he faces Tista at Mania. Raw has now #! contender and Vince and Cena want to keep it that way. So they think they got away with it...until Edge steps up and claims his MITB shot (yes I am advocating a face turn for Edge, since his heel run has become even more boring than his last face run in 04) Edge was a pretty over face back in 02 and I think the fans can take to him again, especially with Cena turning (the marks will want revenge against Cena and the smarks will love the fresher Cena and Edge) Besides since he has waited so long for his MITB shot, might as well wait until Mania

Then agian that probably sounds dumb.

Was 2002 before or after Edge's neck injury? Between the booking and the fans not caring, his face run was awful when he returned.

Guest Trecko
well at least itll be something different than the uasual face wins teh rumble and wins the title at mania. I have a feeling that it will Batista who loses at Mania, only after turning heel (if it is a match vs Taker)

I think Cena should be the one who turns at NYR. Vince screws HBK in favor of Cena, who drops the rap gimmick and becomes Vince's new "corporate champion". Then Orton wins the rumble so he faces Tista at Mania. Raw has now #! contender and Vince and Cena want to keep it that way. So they think they got away with it...until Edge steps up and claims his MITB shot (yes I am advocating a face turn for Edge, since his heel run has become even more boring than his last face run in 04) Edge was a pretty over face back in 02 and I think the fans can take to him again, especially with Cena turning (the marks will want revenge against Cena and the smarks will love the fresher Cena and Edge) Besides since he has waited so long for his MITB shot, might as well wait until Mania

...I like. Especially with the seeds planted earlier with Cena/Vince being cool with each other. I wish it could be something more original since the "corporate champ" thing has been done, but I could definitely work with that...yessir....dunno how easily the fans'll take Edge, though.

Although I'm sure it's happened before, it's just kind of weird seeing that the World Champions have had their titles since LAST Wrestlemania. That means both World Champions will have year long reigns. Wow.

Although I'm sure it's happened before, it's just kind of weird seeing that the World Champions have had their titles since LAST Wrestlemania. That means both World Champions will have year long reigns. Wow.

In at least one case, the title reign's gone on a few months too long.

That's my prediction.

I never thought about this either. Please come true.

Shawn's heel work this summer was the most interesting WWE has been all year. In his book, Shawn says he prefers to be a heel. There's no question that he works better as a heel. Even he admits his character was never meant to be a face. Turning him heel is the most obvious thing to do.

...I like. Especially with the seeds planted earlier with Cena/Vince being cool with each other. I wish it could be something more original since the "corporate champ" thing has been done, but I could definitely work with that...yessir....dunno how easily the fans'll take Edge, though.

well it doesnt have to be corporate champ. cena can just come out with the same look, but act like he did back in 03 as a heel,, which is what made him popular in the first place. So when the feud is over his character can be revitalized a bit.

and edges neck injury occured in early 03, so I was talking about before it.

That's my prediction.

I figured what happened on monday was leading to HBK vs. Vince.

It is. At WM.

I would have Cena turn full blown heel at the Rumble by costing HBK the WWE Title shot during the Rumble match, and somehow letting Hunter win. At WM, Hunter beats Cena for the title in a long and bloody match, because Cena looks good in them, but as a beaten Hunter is raising the WWE Title, Edge comes out and demands his MITB title shot, because, as WM is not yet over, his MITB contract is still valid, Hunter has no choice but to defend the title against Edge. Edge wins quickly, probably in less than a minute, and comes out of WM as WWE Champion. This accomplishes three things:

It gets the belt off Cena.

It gets the belt off of Hunter. He’s going to have to lose it again a few more times anyway because he wants to get to 17, and this way he does it in a way that gives him his long waited WM win, but also means he comes out of WM as losing too. This in turn gives him a great deal of political capital when it comes to getting whatever he wants in future. Not that he needs help in that department, but it can’t hurt.

You get at least three PPV main events out of an Edge vs. Cena vs. Hunter program. Edge is the chickenshit heel who took advantage of a bloody and exhausted Hunter to take the WWE Title from him. Hunter is the tweener who got screwed out of the WWE Title by the previous administration (which can also give him a television feud with Eric Bischoff and whoever he manages, and is going after the guy who stole his title. And Cena is the former champion who wants his title back, but has heat with both Edge and Hunter because Hunter beat him for the belt but Edge is the guy who has it, so he wants to face both of them, with Hunter being for revenge and Edge being for the belt.

That's my prediction.

I figured what happened on monday was leading to HBK vs. Vince.

It is. At WM.

I would have Cena turn full blown heel at the Rumble by costing HBK the WWE Title shot during the Rumble match, and somehow letting Hunter win. At WM, Hunter beats Cena for the title in a long and bloody match, because Cena looks good in them, but as a beaten Hunter is raising the WWE Title, Edge comes out and demands his MITB title shot, because, as WM is not yet over, his MITB contract is still valid, Hunter has no choice but to defend the title against Edge. Edge wins quickly, probably in less than a minute, and comes out of WM as WWE Champion. This accomplishes three things:

It gets the belt off of Hunter. He’s going to have to lose it again a few more times anyway because he wants to get to 17, and this way he does it in a way that gives him his long waited WM win, but also means he comes out of WM as losing too. This in turn gives him a great deal of political capital when it comes to getting whatever he wants in future. Not that he needs help in that department, but it can’t hurt.

You get at least three PPV main events out of an Edge vs. Cena vs. Hunter program. Edge is the chickenshit heel who took advantage of a bloody and exhausted Hunter to take the WWE Title from him. Hunter is the tweener who got screwed out of the WWE Title by the previous administration (which can also give him a television feud with Eric Bischoff and whoever he manages, and is going after the guy who stole his title. And Cena is the former champion who wants his title back, but has heat with both Edge and Hunter because Hunter beat him for the belt but Edge is the guy who has it, so he wants to face both of them, with Hunter being for revenge and Edge being for the belt.

Not bad at all, wwe should be this creative

It is. At WM.

I'd say this was a great idea, if it wasn't for how Edge (a) can't seem to stay uninjured, and (b) had all his heat sucked away after his feud with Matt Hardy.

I'd say this was a great idea, if it wasn't for how Edge (a) can't seem to stay uninjured, and (b) had all his heat sucked away after his feud with Matt Hardy.

Feuding with a 60 year old IC champ won't help him either.

Who doesn't seem to care about his former best friend turning him into a bloody mess six-weeks ago. That thing sure got dropped fast, didn't it?

Guest JMA

Who doesn't seem to care about his former best friend turning him into a bloody mess six-weeks ago. That thing sure got dropped fast, didn't it?

That whole feud was just completely underwhelming--I can't say that I was ever into it. You know things are downright stupid when Triple H uses a sledgehammer on Flair.

You know things are downright stupid when Triple H uses a sledgehammer on Flair.

Things are always stupid when he uses the sledgehammer.

It is. At WM.

Yeah, I love the idea, just not with Edge. If Wrestlemania ends with him as the champion A LOT of people would be pissed.

There's not too much I can think of that would make the product any more boring than it is right now with Cena as champ, but an Edge title reign would certainly be one way to do it. Let's hope Vince isn't that far gone yet.

Guest JMA

You know things are downright stupid when Triple H uses a sledgehammer on Flair.

Things are always stupid when he uses the sledgehammer.

Indeed. It's even more stupid when he uses it on an old man.

Guest lo0p

WM 22:

batista vs undertaker

cena vs hhh vs edge

michaels vs rvd (ladder match)

austin vs hogan

benoit vs malenko (eddie memorial match)

orton vs angle

kane vs big show

book it.

Wrestlemania 22:

Dave Batista vs. Rey Mysterio (RR Winner) vs. Randy Orton (NWO match w/ Rey ends in interference by Bob. Teddy Long gives Rey the shot to spite Orton.)

John Cena vs. Edge (WWE Champion, uses MITB at NYR)

Hulk Hogan vs. Steve Austin ($$$ talks people...)

The Undertaker vs. Chris Benoit

MITB2: Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. Kane vs. Chavo Guerrero vs. Chris Masters

Triple H vs. Big Show

8 Team Turmoil for the WWE Tag Team Championships

Booker T vs. Bobby Lashley (US Championship)

That whole Edge WM scenario just reeks way too much of WM 9 for me to take seriously. Ending a WM with an impromptu title match that lasts 1 minute is a horrible idea.

Look, Edge's MITB thing has been a huge debacle. I'm not saying it wouldn't work with someone else, but the way it's played out with him has been lousy. He's waited so long now that he now has essentially no heat left as a heel, and the whole Matt Hardy feud established what a dickhead he is and thus it's tough for him to ever go face again. Just put him vs. Cena or whoever at the Rumble and job him and end this storyline.

If they did do the Edge-MITB at Wrestlemania thing, it could work if it wasn't the ME... I still think Rey is gonna win the Rumble. just a gut feeling.

Guest JMA

I keep thinking how the Edge/Matt Hardy feud could've ended on a high note if the cage match was the last match between the two. Hardy could've still gone to SmackDown! via a trade and Edge could've dumped and then attacked Lita to get mega-heat. Plus, you could've built toward some kind of third match down the line.

Guest JMA
If they did do the Edge-MITB at Wrestlemania thing, it could work if it wasn't the ME... I still think Rey is gonna win the Rumble. just a gut feeling.

Speaking of gut feelings, I have one that RVD will win the Rumble match. Yeah, it's irrational, but I don't really care.