TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SpikeFayeJettEdBebop

NFL Playoffs

Fun fact:

Last time a home team got shut out in the playoffs was the 1979 NFC title game, where the surprising LA Rams upset the equally surprising Tampa Bay Bucs 9-0.

After watching Eli shit the bed yesterday, I had to wonder: Will ESPN acknowledge the fact that they spent weeks hyping up the potential Manning/Manning Super Bowl?

No. They will just shift the focus to the next most attractive matchup, and will continue to do so as the matchups are eliminated every weekend up to the Super Bowl when they are left with the least attractive matchup (Perhaps Pittsburgh vs Washington or something)

Pittsburgh vs. Washington would have a good buildup with the history involved, not to mention it would be Gibbs fifth SB appearance.

Least attractive match would be Seattle vs. anyone except Denver, since Seattle is a meh team history wise and don't have much going for them today save Shaun Alexander. With Denver, I suppose you could play up the old AFC West rivalry, despite the fact Seattle was always the odd man out as far as intradivision hated.

I was speaking strictly in terms of what the teams has done this year. They will obviously find something to build Pittsburgh/Washington on, but knowing ESPN, it will be more like "See the Battle of #6 Seeds!" or something equally stupid. Seattle, however, is hyped as the surefire NFC winner, so ESPN will likely want Seattle, now that the Manning matchup isn't happening.

Seattle has nothing going for them from a hype standpoint. As always, they're a "they're there" team.

Here's how I'd rate the potential SB candidates from a hype-ability standpoint:

NE - Obvious

Indy - Also obvious

Denver - Plummer makes SB; Shanahan shows he can make the SB without Horseface.

Steelers - Cowher's second SB (and it only took him a decade to get back!)

Carolina - second SB in three years

Washington - Gibbs' fifth SB appearance, possible fourth title

Chicago - ...there's always history to fall back on

Seattle - see Chicago, minus the history part.

If you're going for a "fun to watch today" perspective, well... you're pretty much stuck with Indy or NE, since most of the NFC teams are of the "win ugly" variety.

So... always look on the bright side! Unless your name is Seattle.

I'll chalk that up to Minnesota bias. You cannot say that the Bears could "just fall back on history"... nevermind that they had a defense that made every team throw fits...

Seattle also has one of the best offenses. To say they're just there is absurd.

I can't really bring myself to care about any of these teams in the NFC. In the AFC I'm still pulling for the Colts but damn I don't know about the NFC.

I guess I'll pull the "root for a friends team" card when all else fails.

Let's see I only have one friend that actually watches the NFL(all others think it sucks) and he likes Minnesota(and i hate them anyway). Well Porter I guess I'll care about your team in the NFC.....they do have a couple of my OU boys anyway(even though one is injured).

You cannot say that the Bears could "just fall back on history"... nevermind that they had a defense that made every team throw fits...

They also had an offense that made every Bears fan throw fits, just a step above the 2001 Bears in offensive competency.

Beyond Alexander (a deserving MVP) carrying the offense, I can't say I've seen remarkable things about them. They beat up a god-awful division and were several close calls away from being 10-6 instead of 13-3 (pointing to the Giants, Titans and first 49ers games in particular)

I know the Chicago offense is vastly underwhelming, but that's not the point. The point is ESPN would focus on the defense. They will be hyping the shit out of the Bears defense. The offense would be an after thought. Let's say it ended up being Bears vs Colts, the ESPN would make it "Offense vs Defense" kind of thing. Bears vs Steelers? "Run vs Run" or "Defense vs Defense". Bears vs Patriots? "1986 All over Again". Bears vs Denver?... ok that is probably an ugly matchup.

Seattle, while also admittedly underwhelming, the ESPN will still tout them as the best offense NFC has to offer. The argument is not what makes for the best matchup or what makes for the best matchup for ESPN to shill. Its what ESPN WILL shill out of any matchup. There's something to hype for about the Panthers, Bears, Seahawks and even the Redskins. The AFC will get the lion's share of the hype though, that part I admit.

Bears vs Denver?

Bears-Broncos. The Alliteration Bowl!

Let's look at past Alliteration Bowls

Patriots-Panthers: Great

Packers-Patriots: Not so good

Raiders-Redskins: Bad

Colts-Cowboys: Ugly

Well... it is an upward trend, so it might not be that bad.

Beyond Alexander (a deserving MVP) carrying the offense, I can't say I've seen remarkable things about them. They beat up a god-awful division and were several close calls away from being 10-6 instead of 13-3 (pointing to the Giants, Titans and first 49ers games in particular)

Don't forget the Cowboys literally giving the game away to them.

If the Bears doesn't make it to the Super Bowl, I think the best Super Bowl matchup is either Panthers/Patriots II or Panthers/Colts.

Not to say the Bears would make an excellent Super Bowl team, that offense is embarrassing as a Chicago fan.

Edited by Porter

One matchup I could go for is NE/Washington... Gibbs vs. Belichick

EDIT: Of course, the downside to this is that there would no doubt be another resurrection of the whole "Is the Redskins name appropriate?" discussion

I'm really hoping for the Panthers to make it, they're definitely the most exciting team to watch in the NFC. I can easily see them beating the Bears, though they were demolished last time out. The Redskins are going to be destroyed this week, Seattle's offense won't give away the game like the Bucs did. Not to mention the Redskins are awful.

Indy-NE in the AFC, and I have a sickening feeling that NE will win that matchup AGAIN.

Since the Wild Card round was added no NFC Wild Card team has gone to the Super Bowl. The '75 Cowboys went to Super Bowl X as a Wild Card but only had to win two games to do so.

Edit: Further looking into it, there hasn't been a Wild Card team to reach the NFC title game since the '89 Rams. So history is definently against the Redskins and Panthers this week.

One matchup I could go for is NE/Washington... Gibbs vs. Belichick

EDIT: Of course, the downside to this is that there would no doubt be another resurrection of the whole "Is the Redskins name appropriate?" discussion

So the Patriots will give the Redskins smallpox infected blankets?

Edited by Bored

I've probably said it a few times, and I know I've said it in real life when I'm not thinking. But, nonetheless, it's sort of funny to take a step back and look at those type of comments, which run rampant on team-specific boards. I read a board on stillers.com, and there are plenty of Bengals, Browns, Ravens, etc. fans on there that, after they lose, say stuff like "Good luck next week!" I mean, what the fuck? Good luck finding a seat at the bar? Good luck trying to get a BJ during the game?

Fine, I hope the team you root for gets their ass kicked against Indy. There I cleared it up for you.

TJ doesn't surprise me, he's said stuff about how we were the better team after every loss. The conspiracy stuff way off base though.

The Seahawks had only 192 third-down snaps in the regular season, the second-fewest in the NFL, behind only Indianapolis.

Seattle led the league in scoring drives of 80 yards or more, a testimony to the patience and consistent playmaking skills of Pro Bowl quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, but also to his ability to keep the Seahawks out of precarious situations. That is, in part, why the Seahawks had just 17 turnovers, second fewest in the league.

The Seahawks, who averaged 6.25 yards on first down, just aren't in very many disadvantageous down-and-distance situations.

TEAM OFFENSE TM PER GAME AVERAGE

Total Yards

WAS 330.6

SEA 369.7

Yards Passing

WAS 194.1

SEA 216.1

Yards Rushing

WAS 136.4

SEA 153.6

TEAM DFFENSE TM PER GAME AVERAGE

Yards Allowed

WAS 297.9

SEA 316.8

Pass Yds Allowed

WAS 192.6

SEA 222.4

Rush Yds Allowed

WAS 105.4

SEA 94.4

That was all from ESPN but if you have watched the Seahawks play all season you can tell that they don't make very many mistakes, have a good enough defense and the offense can hang with anyone. Hasselbeck also is a pro bowl QB with 3459 yds, 24 TDs 9 INTs and a 98.2 QB rating. Playing the 49ers and Cards twice this year certainly helped but it wasn't all they did. I'm of the mind that you win against the good teams and more or less dominate the bad which they have done minus the two close ones against SF and the Titans.