TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Failed Bridge

2006 NFL Off-Season

Something tells me they are no longer that sure about Drew Brees anymore. Cause otherwise, it makes zero sense NOT to move him. I guess the Palmer injury put the fear of God into them so they are going to pay Rivers to sit on his ass for another season.

RE: The Bills position. A coach would have to be nuts to take that position without absolute confirmation that Levy's not going to be a back-seat coach, interfering with the players or play calling.

RE: The Chargers keeping Rivers. Hopefully they're just keeping him until the preseason, and if/when it's verified that Brees is 100% they'll move him then. They could probably get a 2006 draft pick if they traded him now, but there's a good chance some team will lose their QB in the preseason and be willing to give up a 2007 pick or two for Rivers at that time.

Guest Princess Leena

If Marv was interested in being coach, Ralph Wilson would have given him that job, basically every day since '96. However, Marv is the type who's not afraid to give his well-informed opinions. And the media and fans will side with Marv. So, it could be a tough situation. But, also, especially for guy like Mike Sherman... you can't be expecting Marv to be GM, forever... so it's possible one could be both coach and GM.

I think it's very disrespectful on Kubiak's part. He has to worry about beating New England 1st, before becoming a head coach. It just shows me that there is no unity in Denver, and New England has a even better chance of beating them away.

I think it's very disrespectful on Kubiak's part. He has to worry about beating New England 1st, before becoming a head coach. It just shows me that there is no unity in Denver, and New England has a even better chance of beating them away.

Yeah, but Charlie Wiess did the same thing at New England and the Pats won the Super Bowl. I don't think it's that big of a deal since if he says no, he might be extremely hard pressed to ever get another shot at a head coaching job. And just because he accepts, doesn't mean he loses focus.

Actually, I think it would further motivate Kubiak to beat New England. Wouldn't you like to show up in Houston after winning the Super Bowl? That commands immediate respect.

Eric Mangini will be the new Jets Head Coach.

Mangini accepts offer to become new Jets coach

The New York Jets wrapped up their search for a new coach Monday when Patriots defensive coordinator Eric Mangini accepted the club's offer to replace Herm Edwards.

Mangini, who becomes the youngest head coach in the NFL at 34 (he turns 35 on Thursday), and the Jets were finalizing the deal late Monday, ESPN.com's Michael Smith reports. An official announcement is expected Tuesday.

The Jets moved quickly Monday after former Vikings coach Mike Tice, the final candidate to meet with the team, was brought in for an interview. The Associated Press reported that Jets assistant coaches had been told to report to work Wednesday, indicating a decision would be made by then.

Mangini, who has spent 10 of his 11 years as an NFL assistant working with Patriots coach Bill Belichick, emerged as the leading candidate last week. He is regarded as one of the brightest defensive minds in the game.

Magnini also has close ties to Jets assistant GM Mike Tannenbaum. Mangini was an assistant with the Jets from 1997-99, working with Belichick in the secondary, and he and Tannenbaum also worked together in Cleveland in the mid-1990s.

With Mangini getting the job, it is believed that defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger and special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff will probably be out. All three interviewed for the head coaching job, as did former Saints coach Jim Haslett, former Rams interim coach Joe Vitt and Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

unlike Romeo Crennel, Mangini is going to fall flat on his face. He is in no way, shape, or form ready to be a head coach. As I said previously, at one point in the season Belichick took away play calling responsabilities from him because the line wasn't pressuring the QB and the coverage was getting burned over and over again.

Well, he did a pretty good job against the Broncos. He's also been an assistant for 11 years, shitload of time, and he's helped with NE's secondary for a while (especially last year with all the injuries, and converting Brown from a WR to a CB).

oh, and I expect Pepper Johnson to be promoted to defensive coordinator.

He should be. I think he will be better then Mangini. Jets are poised to flop under him, they should of stuck with Donnie Henderson.

I think Magani will do ok, but he would have been much better with another year as a D coordinator under his belt. The Jets problem really isn't on defense, it's on offense so I don't understand hiring a D coordinator to begin with.

Seeing as how Ty Law is likely to get cut and return to New England (he didn't make many friends in the Jets locker room when he responded to a reporter's question with "Would you go back to New England?" by saying "Ya, I would love to and I don't feel I burned any bridges. Both me and coach Belichick knew it was just bussiness.") while John Abraham leaves for FA since he's likely to cause Corey Simon-esque problems if he's franchised again...well I'd say they have problems defensively. Of course I think they have problems across the board except maybe with Special Teams. They ranked 3rd in the NFL in kickoff returns, 5th on kickoff coverage, and Nugent didn't do too bad for his rookie season. If you take away the two misses he had from over 50 feet then he was 22 of 26 for field goals.

Mangini needs some good guys behind him if he wants to take the Jets anywhere. With Pennington's future up in the air due to his frequent injuries and Curtis Martin beginning to decline, they may have to revamp their entire offense within the next few years.

Norv Turner took the 49ers Offensive Coordinator job, btw. Now Raiders fans will have to cross the bridge to yell at him.

He's also been an assistant for 11 years, shitload of time, and he's helped with NE's secondary for a while (especially last year with all the injuries, and converting Brown from a WR to a CB).

But he was only "the man" for one year, and not even really, because he wasn't autonomous in the decision making, it was more like a dry run season to groom him as the future d-coordinator. Belichick loves the guy, by all accounts he's got brains, but I think it's a real reach of a hire for the NYJ. Basically it looks like they just want to get back to the Parcells/Belichick tradition and this was the best they could do. The team is about to hit major rebuilding though, this hire is the equivalent of throwing the towel in the wash, and the defensive studs like Vilma and Ellis are their biggest strength right now, so from that angle it makes sense...a young defensive wiz who can grow with the team. I wonder if he'll keep Heimerdinger? He'll definitely need an experienced play caller at his side, someone he can crib off of, and should probably just hand the offense over to someone else for the first year.

Guest Vitamin X

Tony Dungy thinking about retirement?

Colts' Dungy takes break to reflect on son, coaching future

By MICHAEL MAROT, AP Sports Writer

January 16, 2006

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Tony Dungy plans to return as Colts coach but left open the possibility of retirement following a season marked by the death of his 18-year-old son.

"I really don't know how I'll react the next few days," he said Monday, a day after the Colts were eliminated from the playoffs. "I think I'll be back. But it will really be the first time I've had to think about it."

Dungy has been one of the NFL's most successful coaches over the past decade. He's reached the playoffs eight times, won three straight AFC South titles and taken teams to the AFC and NFC championship games.

This year, he won his 100th career game less than two weeks after he turned 50.

But Dungy has always been a family man first. After the Colts' season ended with Sunday's 21-18 loss to Pittsburgh, Dungy said he intends to spend the next few days watching movies, spending time with his wife and children and reflecting on the death of his oldest son, James.

That has created a genuine conflict in Dungy's future plans.

"I think this will be the first time I'll really get to reflect on things and not be on autopilot," Dungy said. "So we'll have to see what the next few days bring."

Indianapolis certainly wants Dungy to return.

Most players praise Dungy for his faith, philosophy and the relationships he's established. It was one of the reasons that safety Mike Doss grabbed the football after beating Arizona in the regular-season finale, Dungy's first game back after his son's death, sprinted to the sideline and gave Dungy a hug.

"We really try and play hard for Coach Dungy, everyone loves him," defensive tackle Larry Tripplett said after that victory.

In October, Dungy signed a three-year contract extension that will keep him with the Colts through 2009. The question now is whether he will fulfill the deal. When pressed on the one missing link from his resume, a Super Bowl title, Dungy said he could walk away from the game without it.

"That's one of the blessings from my son's situation is that it puts everything in perspective," he said. "I'm sure I'll get over this a lot quicker than I will my son. It's a tough deal, but there are a lot more important things in scope of it than us not winning a Super Bowl."

Also, in other news Jim Bates steped down as d-coordinator of the Packers today, ensuring continued disappointment on defense for the future. Now I really don't like the McCarthy hiring.

Guest Vitamin X
Maybe the Colts will win a SB after he leaves like Tampa Bay did!

It'd be even better if they traded for Jon Gruden and then faced Tampa Bay in the SB.

they're talking on the radio right now about how Jim Bates may have resigned because he saw the Patriots defensive coordinator position become available. Wouldn't mind having him in charge as he actually got that terrible Green Bay roster to rank first in pass defense. Evidently Bates and Belichick are very good friends.

Guest Vitamin X

Hell of a way to get back at Miami, as well. I'm a bit pissed that he got passed over for the head coaching spot, but I also feared he may be one of those guys that's an excellent coordinator but an awful head coach. There has to be a reason he's continually passed over.

Hell of a way to get back at Miami, as well. I'm a bit pissed that he got passed over for the head coaching spot, but I also feared he may be one of those guys that's an excellent coordinator but an awful head coach. There has to be a reason he's continually passed over.

Miami actually looked pretty decent when he was interim head coach for awhile. I think his age is what gets him passed over for head coaching positions, which makes little sense since he's only 59.

And shame Dungy might retire. The guy could go down as one of the best regular season coaches in the history of the NFL. Just he never seemed to be able to get his teams up for the playoffs.

and Mangini already lied in his press conference saying that he called every defensive play this season. Belichick said at the end of the Chargers game that he took over play calling duties midway through.

I think that Sean Payton is a good hire for the Saints, I think he can help turn that offense into somthing, with Leinart or Young at the QB postion.

Tony Dungy wont retire, he will comeback and win a superbowl with the colts.