Jump to content

Why should rvd get a main event push?


Recommended Posts

Guest alfdogg
Posted

No problem, after beating your ass on HeldDOWN it was the least I could do   :)

Guest bps "The Truth" 21
Posted

What I find most amusing about the talent argument is that the Backlash, Judgment Day and KOTR were/are main evented by Taker, Hogan and an injured and not so great HHH.

Guest Ripper
Posted

The "flippy-floppy" offense thing is still funny to me.  Yeah, it would look 10 times better if rob just jumped on the guy instead of moonsaulting.  A regular leg drop would look SO MUCH better than a corkscrew one.  His flips might be pointless, but guess what...this is a visual "sport"  It is there to look good.  Everyone knows that thier not really hitting each other.  They are there to be visually pleasing and a guy displaying athletism is always more intresting to watch.  

 

As for the psycology that Rob doesn't have and such... think about this.  RVD's offense consist of a split legged moonsault(hits the ribs), rolling thunder(senton to the ribs) the shoulder block backflip thing(hits the ribs) heel kick on the barrier(hits the back and ribs) and his finisher is a frog splash(hits the ribs)....now, am I the only one that notices something there.  ALL of his offense is concentrated on the ribs...and its never sold by his opponents(I think that Rock and Guerro were the only ones that ever sold it, and made the matches that much better).  So does that mean that Austin, Angle and everyone he has wrestled lacks psychology in their matchs?? Every thing that he does in the match is working towards the finsish.  What does Austin, HHH, Edge, Angle or most of the roster do to work towards their finish???  But for some reason, RVD has no type of meaning in his matches??? Sounds a bit biased to me.

Guest AlwaysPissedOff
Posted
3)He is something new and fresh to the main event level. He doesn't need the mic to get himself over, so he he a change from the norm.

 

4)Who else are you going to stick in there? More Triple-H? Taker? Hogan?

If he can't put over a feud, then why should he main event? You can't have the World Champion standing around waving two fingers in the air while saying, "Dude, we got a match on Sunday, so whatever". It just makes him look bad. If RVD is going to be anywhere near the main event, he's gotta present more than one emotion. He did it against Taker 2 weeks ago and that was it. Rob's going to have to get angry and stop relying on the ultra-LAME stoner act because that's a sign of MIDCARDER 4-LIFE.

 

Hell, I can say the same for Edge as well. He has to be able to be more serious in order to get near the main event because the goofy dork act has been proven to be a non-draw(see Angle, Kurt). I'm not saying get insanely intense or anything, but they've got to show that whatever heel they are feuding with is being taken deadly serious because that makes them both stronger in the end and people will get into the matches.

Guest cabbageboy
Posted

I will admit that RVD didn't really sell the leg that much on Raw.  I suppose that you could consider the fucked up 5 star attempt an effect of Eddie working the leg though.  It wasn't but the missed spot at least fit the context of the match.  

 

Let's see, in the RVD/UT match RVD bumped for him big time, got the crowd into it, etc.  That sounds like CARRYING to me.

 

Here is something that no one mentions.  The mains are a goofy soap opera right now, but if guys like RVD, Benoit, and so forth were in it maybe that crap would change.  Saying RVD wouldn't be like HHH, Rock, or Foley in a feud is missing the point.  RVD's persona is nothing like HHH or Foley to begin with....he is a laid back stoner who only rarely gets pissed.  HHH and Cactus are always pissed.  RVD is somewhat like the Rock in his cocky manner, but still slightly different.  In High School the Rock would be the asshole jock that was very popular even though he ran people down and degraded them.  Van Dam would be a cool guy that would hang out with most everybody (and smoke weed, but I digress).  

 

Ah fuck it, I just want RVD to win the title one time....they can depush him to IC level for the rest of his career after that, but at least he would have been world champ.  I'm still pissed he never won the ECW title, much less the WWF/E title.

Guest AlwaysPissedOff
Posted

RVD will be a world champion once. No matter how much I don't want it to happen, it will, why can't some of you people see this? It's as if patience became a dirty word as in relation to becoming a WWE Champion ever since Angle got his first reign(undeservedly, IMO) in his first year.

 

I'm not bashing you, cabbageboy. I'm just saying he WILL get the belt some time soon and some people on this board just need to relax.

Guest Dangerous A
Posted

Thank you AlwaysPissedOff. It's weird how some folks want everything right fucking now as it pertains to their personal favorites but if it's someone they hate it's like "get the belt off of them NOW" syndrome. Problem is smarks wants are different from casuals wants (at least some of the time) which are both different from what Vince delivers. Wanna know why your getting Taker, Hogan, and HHH in ME's as opposed to workhorses like Angle, RVD, and Jericho? Because when times are bad, Vince always turns to the big guys. Not big as in name value, but big as in 6'8-6'10. Or he goes with whatever was good the last time out. Vince knows no other way. History has shown it. Last time he let smaller guys run with his title (Shawn and Bret) it was not a lucrative time. That may have something to do with Vince's ability to adapt to the times. Hell he still had stupid gimmicks like Duke Drose and Doink the clown. Vince is actually the last person to adopt the "shades of grey" attitude because ECW and WCW were already there. It isn't until McMahon is kicked in his ass that he finally wakes the fuck up and tweaks the product for the better. That's what lack of competition will do for you.

Guest Austin3164life
Posted

Why should RVD get a Main Event push?  

 

-He (along with Austin) is the most consistent draw on Raw

-He has good wrestling skills (when wrestling with someone good)

-He works well with all of the guys who are in the spotlight right now (Austin, Eddie, Benoit)

 

I can picture a series of NICE matches between Austin/RVD/Benoit/Guerrero if they intertwine these four in storylines for this summer.....

Guest Dangerous A
Posted

"-He (along with Austin) is the most consistent draw on Raw"

 

While the other points you made are very accurate, this one is actually up for some debate. Does RVD draw huge face pops? Hell yeah. Does he draw for the company as pertains to ratings? We'll see. His quarter hour numbers before the split were not draws. See the post above this one, I will be posting numbers on who has or hasn't been drawing since the split. Hopefully it shows an increase or else RVD may not see the ME scene for awhile.

Posted

After reading 4 pages of this "issue," I just thought of something pretty funny. Well, at least to me.

 

I have the RF RVD Shoot from 97' and in it, he calls himself the best "worker" in the business. He also says Sabu was the second best.

 

I'm thinking, maybe WWE has put RVD's ego in check and showed him being a good worker has more to do then jumping around and doing a bunch of spots.

Guest Coffin Surfer
Posted

I agree with Dangerous A and Alwayspissed off.  

 

Chill out people, I don't see any reason why RVD shouldn't have a lengthy run with the IC title, before getting a ME push.  Its just like with basketball.  You got all these kids jumping from high school or from freshman year in college right to the pros.  As a result the college game has detoriated in quality.  Just like the WWE's midcard has detoriated in quality, because as soon as somebody gets remotely over they jump right into the ME.

 

I know you RVD marks are just dripping with anticipation.  But just let the guy have a run with IC title for about a year.  Let him have some good lengthy fueds with guys like Lance Storm, Hurricane, and Tajiri.

Guest Flyboy
Posted
Let him have some good lengthy fueds with guys like Lance Storm, Hurricane, and Tajiri.

He can't do that... they're Smackdown.

 

He could only have fueds with them if he was World Champ... :D

Posted

OK. Here we go. I'm gonna try to put this away once and for all, so that people CAN see what the real issue is here.

 

RVD has been in the WWF(E)/Alliance for almost a year. In that time, he has brought fame back to the Hardcore belt (until he lost it) and has made an Intercontinental Title match the MAIN EVENT of RAW, when a few months ago, when Edge and Regal were fighting, we were arguing on whether the title should be thrown out or not. Guys, RVD has "it" as Paul Heyman would say. He has the aura around him that brings excitement to the ring. It's as if he can be his normal self and then explode in the ring, to the excitement of the fans. Now, when Benoit (I'm using him as an example just because I know of this) was back in WCW, and he was opening or being in the midcard, he never talked.  He wrestled. When Guerrero and Malenko (again, examples) started wrestling, they only asked each other for a rematch after their first match on Nitro (which ruled). None of these guys talked. The LUCHADORES~! hardly ever talked outside of Eddy and Rey Rey. Guys, if a guy can show psychology, as RVD does with the ribs, if he has talent to put on a good match (His ladder match being the best match on Free TV in over a year), and can be big with the fans, talking or otherwise, then that guy deserves a shot to rise...and the Glass Ceiling theory put into play by MISTAH Keith...it's true. If you wanted WRESTLING, then you WOULD have Benoit as your World Champ, and Guerrero as your IC champ, and RVD as your Hardcore Champ, and a team of hard workers like Al Snow and Perry Saturn as Tag Champs. However, since NONE of those guys are over 6'2" or 250 pounds, they have been pushed down, and now, even though they are in the big show, Benoit and Guerrero are only over because they had shock value when they returned, by beating an over star up (Guerrero to RVD, and Benoit to Austin). Benoit is way over, and that's a good thing, because he might be the guy to break that glass ceiling over the rest of the heads below him. When that happens, all smarts will rejoice, Scott Keith will have an orgasm, and the apocolypse will occur, because there is no way in Vince McMahon's little world that revolves around "larger than life people" will let little guys be better than the big guys. Dream on folks. Until someone steps up to change it, live with it.

Guest Ripper
Posted

He shouldn't have the title now, but he shouldn't be curtain jerkin in a tag match with scotty against Albert and test...as a matter of fact, I think he has been used perfectly the last few weeks.  He should be near the top of the card, bottom line.  I don't think he's belt material or anything, but he deserves to be a focal point.  

 

BTW, 1997 was what, 5 years ago...he has given plenty of interviews since then saying that he used to have a big ego because so many people were telling him this and that, but it has changed.  And the Sabu comment...well, if you ask most WWE stars who the best workers are, most of them include Billy GUnn for some reason.  wrestlers are strange like that I guess.

Guest Mole
Posted

"If he can't put over a feud, then why should he main event? You can't have the World Champion standing around waving two fingers in the air while saying, "Dude, we got a match on Sunday, so whatever". It just makes him look bad. If RVD is going to be anywhere near the main event, he's gotta present more than one emotion. He did it against Taker 2 weeks ago and that was it. Rob's going to have to get angry and stop relying on the ultra-LAME stoner act because that's a sign of MIDCARDER 4-LIFE."

 

Yes, you are right about that. He needs to show his anger side like he did with Taker.

 

And Ripper, your right, he does have some psychology with the ribs, I never thought of that.

 

To say RVD doesn't have talent is silly. He is probably the most athletic person in the WWE right now. His style is original, and different. So why don't people think he should be in the ME level?

 

Would you perfer HHH, Taker, or Hogan?

Guest Just call me Dan
Posted
The WWE doesn't push great workers.  They push guys that can sell T-shirts, or guys that fuck the boss's daughter or any other booker for that matter.  

 

Explain Tazz.

Posted

What i don;t get about the WWE is why don't they give the monster new blood push to both RVd and Edge? Do You have to push one guy at a time?

 

Anyways, I think the fans already see RVD as a ME. He is at the level jericho was in 2000, when they teased that title switch. All RVD really needs to become Supertsar Over, in the range of Austin and Rock, is one extremely great ppv match or one great feud.

 

In the WWE it doesnt matter if you put on 5 star matches or duds or what, its matters if you make money. And over superstars make money. Want an equation?

 

RVD + P = $

 

Yeah I'm done now.

Guest claydude14
Posted

you know, a lengthy IC title run for him like they did with in ECW with the TV title is something that could work. after wrestlemania i had the idea of him holding the belt 1 year til the next mania, where he would go over for the world title kind of like ultimate warrior did. it'd bring a ton of credential back to the IC belt. then they put it on eddy the next month. but eh well, they could still have him run with it til wm, i think that'd be good and keep him out of the me while he works on his in ring just a little more

Guest cabbageboy
Posted

I think RVD is doing fine right now.  All they need to do is not hot shot the IC title around like with Eddie.  Let him have a good reign and a few notable feuds and by next year people will be begging for him to main event.

 

RVD:  front runner for the 2003 Rumble.  I call it now.  Any takers?

Posted

The WWE should be using RVD as a way to rebuild the IC title as a prestigious belt. I say let him hold the belt well through the summer and possibly drop it at No Mercy or S.Series in a real feud. The IC belt has bounced around waaaaay too much lately in pathetic feuds. Amazingly, Edge lost the IC belt in EVERY feud he was in during his reign. See the latest trends.......

 

Kane vs. Albert...........surprisingly good matches, almost no feud

 

Albert to Storm.........no feud

 

Lance to Edge...........good feud, great matches. Finally!

 

Edge to Christian and back to Edge.......the belt was moved to Christian for reasons I do not know

 

Edge to Test and back to Edge in a worthless feud

 

Edge to Regal.......made Edge look like a total dolt in the process

 

Regal to RVD in a good ol' fashion match with no feud needed.

Posted

ok first off, this is the funniest shit I ever saw.  "If he can't put over a feud, then why should he main event? You can't have the World Champion standing around waving two fingers in the air while saying, "Dude, we got a match on Sunday, so whatever". It explans his lifeless stoner character perfectly.  Secondly, if you see RVD as this

 

by cabbage boy

"In High School the Rock would be the asshole jock that was very popular even though he ran people down and degraded them.  Van Dam would be a cool guy that would hang out with most everybody (and smoke weed, but I digress)."

 

Then your just fuckin gay, know I knwo why alot fo people like him, only for his pot smoking.  Cause it can't be for his wrestling.  BTW the only reason people don't sell the ribs throughout the whole match is because most of his offense looks fake and uncredible, but everybody sells rolling thunder anf the 5 star.  The rest of it looks weak.

 

--Rob

Guest cabbageboy
Posted

Ok, I am not "fucking gay" because I think RVD would be a stoner kid at school?  If you weren't a total fucking idiot you'd see I am making a point.

 

I usually don't resort to flaming people, but when someone flames me I gotta defend myself.  And no, I don't like RVD because he does or used to smoke weed.  In fact that was one thing about him that I didn't really like.

Posted

no dude, it was pretty gay you making stoner analogies and shit, trust me.  You definitly were "flaming" for a minute

 

--Rob

Guest griffinmills
Posted
no dude, it was pretty gay you making stoner analogies and shit, trust me.  You definitly were "flaming" for a minute

 

--Rob

RobStone, why are you using Gay and Flaming in a deragatory manner?  The poster made an analogy, it was somewhat apt, and you trolled him on it.  What is that about?

Posted

griffin, face it, his analogy has homsexual tendoncies all over it.  On top of that the way he wored it, he was trying to glorify potheads as well as stereotyping certain people all wrong.  His whole shit was garbage.  Come on

 

--Rob

Guest cabbageboy
Posted

I wasn't remotely glorifying potheads.  The pothead thing was a brief addition I put in there in parentheses.  I hardly said "Ooh, RVD smokes pot, he's cool!"  

 

I have no clue why the post was "gay sounding" to begin with.  If I had said the Rock seems like Ray from Scary Movie, then it might have sounded like a gay analogy.

Guest Flyboy
Posted
Yes, you are right about that. He needs to show his anger side like he did with Taker.

He has... when Jericho costed him a match on HeAT (I believe), RVD seemed very pissed and attacked Jericho with spin-kicks and a 5-Star to boot in their "fued".

Guest alfdogg
Posted
Yes, you are right about that. He needs to show his anger side like he did with Taker.

He has... when Jericho costed him a match on HeAT (I believe), RVD seemed very pissed and attacked Jericho with spin-kicks and a 5-Star to boot in their "fued".

And then he got cut off at the knees on...

 

::points to sig::

Guest Sakura
Posted

I think "Cut off at the knees", "had his legs cut out from under him" and any other variation has to be the most overused phrase at this forum. Ever since Keith said it in regards to Jericho and Benoit I see this fucking thing in every other post.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...