TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisMWaters

Feuds That Could Have Happened But Never Did

Guest Hadley

The thing about people wanting to see owen/jericho, owen/benoit, etc, is that Owen was planning on retiring a few months after OTE 99 anyway. He and his wife already had his dream house, he had enough money saved up so that he could walk away forever.

I don't know if "a few months" is that accurate. I'd heard he was going to be around for at least another year, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, my understanding was that it was going to be another year or so. I've read the Martha Hart book and I forget the exact details but I never got the impression that he was only a couple months away from retiring. One especially sad part was that they were all set to move into the dream house in the next couple weeks, but I think Owen still would have been wrestling for at least another year or so. When I suggested him feuding with Jericho or Benoit I did so with the idea in mind that he would have stuck around until the summer of 2000 or so.

Changing gears while staying on topic...

A further panning out of the Jericho/Shamrock feud.

aaaaagreed. *Huge Jericho and Shamrock mark*

Angle v Haas. That would've done ALOT for Haas' career before he turned into Rico's partner.

Hart Foundation vs NWO vs DX. I know this would have been almost impossible to book back then but these were three of the greatest groups back in 97.

Brock Lesner vs Bret Hart

Kurt Angle and Chris Beniot vs Bret Hart and Steve Austin

Brian Pillman vs Jake Roberts

Nation of Domination vs The Gangstas

and about Owen/Kurt Angle, they actually had a dark match in 99 at a raw that i went to. Pretty good but angle was still green.

Another tag team feud idea...I always thought around '95/'96 that Pillman and Benoit as a team in the Four Horsemen could've had some really great feuds with some tag teams, if Pillman hadn't left pretty soon after Benoit joined the Four Horsemen. I mean, they could've faced Harlem Heat, Luger/Sting, the Steiner Brothers, Blue Bloods, etc.

Hulk Hogan Vs. Jake Roberts

Actually, wasn't Roberts supposed to start a feud with Hogan while he was still heel, but the crowds ended up cheering for Roberts, so he was turned face? I could be wrong, but I seem to remember hearing that somewhere.

Hulk Hogan Vs. Jake Roberts

Actually, wasn't Roberts supposed to start a feud with Hogan while he was still heel, but the crowds ended up cheering for Roberts, so he was turned face? I could be wrong, but I seem to remember hearing that somewhere.

This sounds right. I think they had a segment where Robert DDT'd Hogan and the crowd popped huge for it. Afterwards the WWE brass agreed that the feud wouldn't work and Roberts has said he was cool with it because it would not help business to have Hogan booed like that.

It always makes me sad how Roberts turned out because he was definitely one of the best if not the best promo men ever. The promo he cut against DiBiase at WM 6 was pure gold, even Okerlund is baffled at how good it is when it finishes.

I remember that Al Snow heel turn. I thought it was great that it came out of nowhere and it was something about being Foley's friend even though he was ridiculed in Foley's book and Foley was constantly sucking up to Rock to get him to be his friend even tough he'd always make fun of him. It was the old 'perennial loser makes an attitude change' but HHH is the only one who actually started winning more with that gimmick.

There was a Raw with Rock and Sock vs Y2J when he was the hot new heel in the beginning, and Snow came out to be his partner. I thought it was gonna be the start of a big heel push but they never teamed up again.

I think they just used him so Jericho wouldnt get pinned. I dont think he's ever been near a main event since then. After that heel turn he lost just as much as before, which was baffling.

I think he actually got a singles match with each of them, but they didnt book him to be at the same level of the Rock and was constantly beaten quickly. It was one of those feuds that never culminated on ppv, only on tv so no one remembers it. what a waste.

they never explained what happened with owen. although watching hbk's shoot interview he sounded the same with owen as others who he didnt 'help out' He said he wasnt really vocal about his career regarding getting pushed (meaning he doesnt' play politics) and Vince didnt seem to give a crap about him, which is why I dont understand why he didnt release him. WCW never did anything with the other 3 members. How did he go from the attacking Shawn at the ppv to the interview the next night, then end up in the Nation? It was like the fans were hot for him so they put him in a program to make sure he'd be forgotten as a big deal.

another one i thought of

WCW gave dream or never before seen matches on a weekly basis, but I was really excited about a possible Sting and Bret program.

I remember them having one match on tv. Both were faces and Sting was in the sharpshooter and Luger hit Bret in the leg without Sting seeing. He put the move on Bret and he tapped out almost immediately, I remember it was a great selling job.

Dont think they were ever in the ring at the same time again.

The announcers didnt even make a big deal about this match either. Was I the only one who cared?