TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Street Fighter Alpha Anthology

What? They're arcade games. There's nothing special about the Dreamcast or Saturn. There's no reason the PS2 or Xbox ports couldn't be as good.

yeah there is, PS2 CANNOT do a decent 2d fighters, the machine just wasnt built for it.

and they were better on the Dreamcast and Saturn as they were almost prefect arcade conversions. Granted the neo geo had better conversions, but thats because the console was built for that.

There is no such thing as a good 2d beat em up on the PS2, in fact, theres no such thing as a good game on the PS2.

Xbox do fairly good conversions, but not great ones.

It is not hard to make a good 3d fighter. Tekken has got a lot more tournament play than X-Men vs. Street Fighter.

your clearly a moron. Tekken has nothing on tournament basis compared to Street Fighter games. Tekken is the same game, its just a button bashing game that requires no skill whatsoever. Any dumbass with hands can complete Tekken games.

2D fighters like Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Guilty Gear etc. require a great amount of skill to master. Thats why there awesome and games like Tekken and DoA arent.

yeah there is, PS2 CANNOT do a decent 2d fighters, the machine just wasnt built for it.

and they were better on the Dreamcast and Saturn as they were almost prefect arcade conversions. Granted the neo geo had better conversions, but thats because the console was built for that.

There is no such thing as a good 2d beat em up on the PS2, in fact, theres no such thing as a good game on the PS2.

Xbox do fairly good conversions, but not great ones.

Yeah, ok. These Alpha games run on the CPS2 board. Hardware a decade old. I'm pretty sure the PS2 can handle it.

your clearly a moron. Tekken has nothing on tournament basis compared to Street Fighter games. Tekken is the same game, its just a button bashing game that requires no skill whatsoever. Any dumbass with hands can complete Tekken games.

Pick Eddy. Button Mash. Win!

The SF3 Third Strike port on PS2/X-Box is considered to be vastly closer to arcade perfect than the Dreamcast port. No one has touched the Dreamcast version in a tourney since Anniversary Edition came out. And word on the street is that 3S is a decent 2D fighter, so wow, I guess PS2 can handle one after all!

Tekken's a scrub game; it needs more infinites!

According to a report on the show floor, the Alpha games in this anthology are based off the PS1 ports.

Which makes Alpha 3 worthless. Hello, Dhalsim glitches.

For the record, the only arcade perfect port of Alpha 3 is on PSP (which adds a bunch of characters, therefore it might not be called arcade perfect)

PS2 can do plenty of decent 2D fighters. See what SNK is putting out on it in Japan. Hell, what about MELTY BLOOD? RUMBLE FISH? Eh? EH?

And have you seen Guilty Gear XX#R and Neowave on Xbox? They look just fine to me.

And anyone who says "X has no tournament viability" is a fucking moron. Even Dead or Alive 4 has been embraced by the community. Smash Brothers will probably be played at Evo, too.

Tekken's a scrub game; it needs more infinites!

I agree. Julia should get one.

GBA is getting "Capcom Mini Mix" for $19.99.

It is the NES versions of Bionic Commando, Strider, and Mighty Final Fight.

It could be easily called Capcom's Sloppy Seconds, but at least those games are different entities than their arcade counterparts (and in BC's case, better). Plus, it sure as hell beats the NES Classics in bang-for-buck.

I strongly suggest not getting into an argument you won't win. She's not the Queen of the Iron first for nothing.

Trust me on this one, no one beats me at 2D beat em up arguments haha!

Yeah, ok. These Alpha games run on the CPS2 board. Hardware a decade old. I'm pretty sure the PS2 can handle it.

Then why do they look so shit? I was playing KoF 2003 today on there and it looked terrible, i dont know why they bother.

Pick Eddy. Button Mash. Win!

At least your honest.

For the record, the only arcade perfect port of Alpha 3 is on PSP

No it isnt. The dreamcast one was.

And have you seen Guilty Gear XX#R and Neowave on Xbox? They look just fine to me.

I never said they were bad on the xbox, they can do 2D beat em ups fine. not great but its better than Sony's effort.

PS2 can do plenty of decent 2D fighters. See what SNK is putting out on it in Japan. Hell, what about MELTY BLOOD? RUMBLE FISH? Eh? EH?

SNK have made the best 2D fighter except for Street Fighter, King of Fighters. Plus mark of the wolf which is fuckin superb.

Right, the PS2 just can't handle the awesome power of the CPS2 and Neo Geo hardware. Only Dreamcast can come close to matching that kind of technology. Maybe if Sony is lucky the $600 PS3 will be able to have arcade perfect ports of SF II World Warrior.

Somehow I doubt you have experiance playing anyone good at Tekken.

Guest Askewniverse

Except God of War, the Ratchet and Clank series, Gran Turismo 3, DMC 3, MGS 3, Resident Evil 4, etc.

your clearly a moron.

Hehehe.

Finally, Capcom giving people want they want:

Capcom Classics Collection vol. 2 features:

Side Arms

Black Tiger

Strider

Knights of the Round

Super Street Fighter II Turbo

Three Wonders

Eco Fighters

Avengers

Tiger Road

Captain Commando

Last Duel

Mega Twins

Varth

Magic Sword

Quiz and Dragons

The Speed Rumbler

Block Block

King of Dragons

Street Fighter

So, the games that were in the PSP title plus a lot more.

And finally, Street Fighter 1 is going to be available for us to laugh at, play for 5 minutes, then never touch again. Some of those other games are pretty darn cool too.

Strider and King of Dragons are good. KOD is especially cool, it's an underappreaciated beat em up. Super Turbo and Knights of the Round are good but I already have access to the actual arcade games. SF1 is a nice addition just for the novelty of it.

Good compilation. Better than most, which often have only 1 game I care about.

I wonder if ST is going to be an emulated CPS2 ST or just the PSX version. That is going to be a big deal to the old school players who hate the PSX version and other home ports.

your clearly a moron.

Hehehe.

D'oh! I cant spell.

Except God of War, the Ratchet and Clank series, Gran Turismo 3, DMC 3, MGS 3, Resident Evil 4, etc.

For starters, Resi 4 was better on the Cube. And you seem to forget that for every good game on the PS2, theres about 60 shit ones.

Right, the PS2 just can't handle the awesome power of the CPS2 and Neo Geo hardware. Only Dreamcast can come close to matching that kind of technology. Maybe if Sony is lucky the $600 PS3 will be able to have arcade perfect ports of SF II World Warrior.

Have you seen these things running? They tried putting 3D graphics into the backgrounds and just fuck it up. Plus for the fighters most part they look imposed onto screen. It's simple, 2D fighters look shit on the PS2 because the PS2 wanst built for these fighters. Which begs the question, why do Sony release them? Oh yeah, there greedy twats.

Somehow I doubt you have experiance playing anyone good at Tekken.

I've had this said to me on many occasions. My friend at work, who claims the same things you do, challenged me to a fight on Tekken. I mashed the buttons and won. Wow, what great skill that required.

2D fighters are just better than 3D fighters, plain and simple.

And you seem to forget that for every good game on the PS2, theres about 60 shit ones.

Every system has crappy games. Who cares? You don't have to play them. What a silly point.

Have you seen these things running? They tried putting 3D graphics into the backgrounds and just fuck it up. Plus for the fighters most part they look imposed onto screen. It's simple, 2D fighters look shit on the PS2 because the PS2 wanst built for these fighters. Which begs the question, why do Sony release them? Oh yeah, there greedy twats.

"They" isn't Sony. It's SNK putting in the 3d stages. It's a design choice, something they feel improves the game, not a hardware limitation. They did the same thing on Dreamcast and Xbox.

There are a bunch of 2D fighters on PS2 that made no changes to the graphics. 3rd Strike for example.

Greedy? That makes no sense. SNK, Capcom and Sammy are making these games. Not Sony. Sony does not demand them to release these games. In fact Sony often doesn't allow them to release them unless it's a bundle or for a budget price.

I've had this said to me on many occasions. My friend at work, who claims the same things you do, challenged me to a fight on Tekken. I mashed the buttons and won. Wow, what great skill that required.

Did you ever consider the possibility that they simply suck at the game? I could mash in KOF and beat people that suck too. Play someone good, not someone who just thinks they're good. Are you aware there is a huge community of high level Tekken players from all over the world? Do you honestly think they mash buttons? Go to Evolution this year and mash in T5. It'd be an easy way to win $5,000!

For someone who seems to love fighting games you don't seem to know much about them. Maybe you should look past your misguided hate for Sony. You might find some new games to play.

I think 2d vs. 3d is a pointless comparison. It depends on the game. 3S is better than Bloody Roar. T5 is better than Capcom Fighting Jam.

Yeah but Capcom fighting Jam was a crap game.

This argument is pointless as we have different opions on the subject.

I've never met someone who claims to be "the best player on Tekken" as all of my mates are die hard Street Fighters.

If sony didnt want them released on their console, then why did they release them?

Every system has crappy games. Who cares? You don't have to play them. What a silly point.

Of course every console has crap games, just not on the scale of the PS2. I work in a second hand game store and the amount of crap games we get traded in is staggering. It beggers belief why they even bother.

It'd be an easy way to win $5,000!

And i could do with 5000 bucks. Its not a bad idea.

There are a bunch of 2D fighters on PS2 that made no changes to the graphics. 3rd Strike for example.

But why bother when it plays better on the Dreamcast?

I can understand what your saying, but my argument is that if Sony know they look shit and play shit, then why bother relaseing them? It just furthers my point that Sony basterdized the gaming world buy being money hungry cock touchers.

I've never met someone who claims to be "the best player on Tekken" as all of my mates are die hard Street Fighters.

You don't have to be the best Tekken player to beat mashers.

If sony didnt want them released on their console, then why did they release them?

Because they generally allow 3rd party developers to do whatever they want. Why did Nintendo alllow Titus to release Superman for N64? It's how the industry works. PS2 has the most crap games because it has the most games period. 100 million PS2s have been sold. Of course it's going to have tons of crappy games.

But why bother when it plays better on the Dreamcast?

It doesn't. 3rd Strike is better on PS2 and Xbox. You can't even select the old guard system on DC. PS2 3S has completely replaced DC 3S on the tournament scene.

You're ignoring everything and ranting about Sony for no reason. Sony has nothing to do with the 3D backgrounds in KOF. KOF on Dreamcast and Xbox is the same way. Sony doesn't make the games. If you don't like the 3D backgrounds rant about SNK. It's the same for any gameplay problems. Sony isn't porting these games and the PS2 hardware isn't at fault. Neo Geo and CPS hardware is ancient. You're completely delusional if you honestly think the PS2 cannot handle a port of Street Fighter Alpha properly. If any port has a problem it's the fault of the developers. Guilty Gear and 3rd Strike play fine on PS2. They are more advanced than any Alpha game.

Then why do they look and play like shit? These games play better on the Dreamcast and on the Saturn. It's that simple.

It doesn't. 3rd Strike is better on PS2 and Xbox.

Now whos being deluded?

Neo Geo and CPS hardware is ancient.

Your missing my point, the reason they work better on these consoles is because thats what they were designed for. The neo geo was designed to run arcade games at an arcade perfect level. The PS2 isnt. And thats fine, i know it wasnt built to run these types if games, i just want to know why they bother realeasing them when they know they look like shit.

How does 3rd Strike on PS2 play like shit? Give some examples. Nothing vague like "it's choppy" either. Specific examples.

Dreamcast hardware is totally different from CPS2 and 3 too. It was still able to play Alpha 3 or 3rd Strike. According to you they're arcade perfect.

According to you they're arcade perfect.

I never said that, i said they were better on the Dreamcast. the Neo is arcade perfect. They just play better on the Dreamcast.

How does 3rd Strike on PS2 play like shit?

The controlls are sloopy when playing on the dreamcast you actually feel like your playing the game, because the PS2 pad is so light and the buttons are so close to the surface it makes the game to easy, hence why its easy to button mash on games like Tekken. This doesnt make for a good gaming experience. If you can complete KOF on the dreamcast you feel like you've accomplished something as the buttons on the pad are unforgiving. When you complete it on the PS2, you've got nothing to show for it.

Its that simple.

Do you know what the best thing about this argument is? Its giving me something to do other that University work haha!

The controlls are sloopy when playing on the dreamcast you actually feel like your playing the game, because the PS2 pad is so light and the buttons are so close to the surface it makes the game to easy, hence why its easy to button mash on games like Tekken. This doesnt make for a good gaming experience. If you can complete KOF on the dreamcast you feel like you've accomplished something as the buttons on the pad are unforgiving. When you complete it on the PS2, you've got nothing to show for it.

Its that simple.

Huh? This is the most nonsensical post I have ever seen.

And you did say Alpha 3 on Dreamcast was arcade perfect.

No, i said they were ALMOST acrade perfect.

That was the most nonsensical agrument i have ever seen.:P

And i know the post doesnt make much sense, but i am doing work at the same time. It make sense on the most part to me, maybe not a lot, but at least some.

Main point was that the Dreamcaset controls for the game were and still are better than the PS2s.

Later you said it was arcade perfect. The PSP version was brought up and you clearly said it was too. Look at your own posts. The point is, DC's hardware is nothing like CPS2. It's still capable of good ports. So is PS2. There is nothing preventing the PS2 from a DC quality port of SF Alpha.

Neither DC or PS2's standard controller is anything like the arcade versions. Both have dpads and 4 face buttons. DC then has the crappy triggers while PS2 has the shoulder buttons. I would rather use the PS2 pad but it can still be a pain, it's annoying trying to do EX moves on PS2 in 3S without mapping L1 and L2 as PPP and KKK. Doing an EX punch move on the DC pad is even worse. Playing Remy on the DC pad is horrible.

Strider and King of Dragons are good. KOD is especially cool, it's an underappreaciated beat em up. Super Turbo and Knights of the Round are good but I already have access to the actual arcade games. SF1 is a nice addition just for the novelty of it.

Good compilation. Better than most, which often have only 1 game I care about.

I wonder if ST is going to be an emulated CPS2 ST or just the PSX version. That is going to be a big deal to the old school players who hate the PSX version and other home ports.

I'd bet on the SFC version myself, though it's not going to be a big difference to me. Too bad I already have Strider.

Weird, Strider's getting 2 re-releases at around the same time. OMG NEW STRIDER COMING!?!

Alpha 3 port on Dreamcast is terrible, at least animation-wise. There were frames missing on the DC 3rd Strike. The PS2 version of 3S is *more faithful* to the arcade game than the DC version, luke-o.

Guest Coffey

The guys from Capcom should make a new fighting game with the Street Fighter characters getting mixed in with the DC universe. I want to play as Lobo, damnit!

Later you said it was arcade perfect.

and they were better on the Dreamcast and Saturn as they were almost prefect arcade conversions

yes, i clearly said that. Learn to read before you put words in my mouth.

And street fighter vs DC? it's possible since Capcom arent doing Marvel games now, and it would put some much needed life into the cross over fighters.

How does 3rd Strike on PS2 play like shit? Give some examples. Nothing vague like "it's choppy" either. Specific examples.

Just played it again while on my break from work, better resolution on the dreamcast. The dreamcast has a better frames per second rate than the PS2. Just makes for a better experience.

DC then has the crappy triggers while PS2 has the shoulder buttons.

I only use the triggers for taunts, its easier to Dans level three taunt that way. Use the face buttons for your hard punches and kicks, makes for a better arcade experience.

Thoth said "For the record, the only arcade perfect port of Alpha 3 is on PSP". You replied with "No it isnt. The dreamcast one was."

3S on Dreamcast does not have "a better frames per second rate". Please stop making things up. Again, 3S on Dreamcast only has new guard system. You cannot do some of the unblockables on Dreamcast.

It doesn't matter how you map the buttons. The triggers still make it difficult to do EX moves. DC pad is not going to be near "arcade faithful" no matter what you do.

Thoth said "For the record, the only arcade perfect port of Alpha 3 is on PSP". You replied with "No it isnt. The dreamcast one was."

I stand corrected and retract the statment as its a bit untrue.

And the dreamcast does have a better frames per second system than the PS2, thats actual fact.

To be honest im bored of this argument. It's quite possibly the most useless argument ive ever taken part in. Your never going to agree with me no matter what i say. If you wanna play second rate versions of fighters on your PS2, be my guest im not going to stop you. If you wanna play pointless button mashing beat em ups on your PS2, be my guest i wont stop you. I just wont agree with you.

You arguments have been great in places but shite in others. You've agrued well but pointlessley.

Thank you thread and good night.

Luke-o, the difference between PS1 and PS2 for 2D graphics is worlds of difference.

At the risk of oversimplification, animation in PS1 fighters sucked because of the limits of onboard RAM. This is a bigger issue in cd-based consoles, but of course Genesis/SNES compensating in fighters by usually shrinking the characters and cutting their animation.

For pre-rendered sprites/computer animation, instead of things being rendered in "real time," every single animation frame possible has to be in RAM and ready to access. It's why the RAM carts let Saturn pull of XMvs.SF, and so on. This is why Shang Tsung morphs suck on Saturn/PS1. Now, it's easier to pull stuff from ROM to RAM on carts, so SNES/Genesis morphs are fine. However, loading time exists on graphically intense carts as well--see Batman Forever for the consoles, for instance. You can still have limited RAM issues, too. Take a look at the animation cut from Killer Instinct Gold.

Compare this to Midway Arcade Treasures 2, where Shang can morph into everyone at anytime. Huge difference, there.