TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Amy Ace

Owen Hart's accident

Guest TheGreatWesuke

I watched the "Secrets of the Ring" with Ed Ferrara and Vince Russo not to long ago, in it Vince says that he was called by another WWF executive who informed him that Sting's stunt team were going to be in town that weekend and he wanted to use them. The only person Russo could think of for the stunt was Owen. =( So according to Russo this was the same team that did Sting's stunt, not just some local fisherman rigger.

While falling Owen screamed for the referee to get out of the way so he wouldn't land on him. Which was the last self-less act, of a truly great man.

I've heard this before, but still that's pretty remarkable. I can't imagine being in sound enough mind to even think of doing something like that in the same situation.

Yeah, I always had a hard time totally believing that part. It'd almost take longer for him to register that he was falling than it would to fall. It seems more likely that he was just yelling, which did happen to warn the referee to get out of the way.

My feeling is that it was a terrible accident, but just that, an ACCIDENT. Vince did not kill Owen. Yes, steps were not taken to ensure his safety, and Martha deserved every penny she got. But Vince McMahon is not a murderer.

Depends on how you look at it. I mean, they didn't have to give him the Blazer gimmick just to show him for not going along with one of their storylines. If that much is true, you could possibly look at it as Owen suffering for being a wrestler in a sports entertainment world...

Me, I just wish they took what happened to him more seriously. I know a lot of us are not fans of Scooter Keith, but he did have a point as to how ridiculous it was when they are trying to give the Over the Edge "OMG this is a SHOOT!" sell for Mama Benjamin's fake heart attack...when they don't even know her "real" (in storyline) name. And don't get me effing started on what they are doing with Eddie's memory, which to them is apparently no more valuable than that of Katie Vick or Big Show's Dad.

Guest Amy Ace
I watched the "Secrets of the Ring" with Ed Ferrara and Vince Russo not to long ago, in it Vince says that he was called by another WWF executive who informed him that Sting's stunt team were going to be in town that weekend and he wanted to use them. The only person Russo could think of for the stunt was Owen. =( So according to Russo this was the same team that did Sting's stunt, not just some local fisherman rigger.

Thats incorrect, as WCW was actually running a show the same night in another town, and the man who worked as WCW's was on tour full time with them. The man who did the rigging for Owen's stunt was indeed a local former fisherman rigger, who wanted to be a stunt coordinator,and claimed to have once worked on stunts for Sting, but that was a lie, and he had no training in stuntwork. This was confirmed during the trial and by Martha Hart in her book, were she goes into more extensive detail about the man, and him being grossly underqualified.

And off the topic, but I wouldn't trust Vinny Ru and Oklahoma as far as I could throw them.

Also, about the WWE always having high production values, keep in mind the accident happened in 1999, when they were still at war with WCW, and we're spending a lot of money on superstar salary at that point, I'm sure they tried to save whereever they thought they could.

I just think its absolutley ludicrous that the show wasn't cancelled after this happened. That just shows the utter lack of respect Vince has for anyone else other than himself.

Guest TheGreatWesuke

Thats incorrect, as WCW was actually running a show the same night in another town, and the man who worked as WCW's was on tour full time with them. The man who did the rigging for Owen's stunt was indeed a local former fisherman rigger, who wanted to be a stunt coordinator,and claimed to have once worked on stunts for Sting, but that was a lie, and he had no training in stuntwork. This was confirmed during the trial and by Martha Hart in her book, were she goes into more extensive detail about the man, and him being grossly underqualified.

And off the topic, but I wouldn't trust Vinny Ru and Oklahoma as far as I could throw them.

Also, about the WWE always having high production values, keep in mind the accident happened in 1999, when they were still at war with WCW, and we're spending a lot of money on superstar salary at that point, I'm sure they tried to save whereever they thought they could.

I don't doubt that story checks out, and I honestly *do* believe Russo... I don't believe he has any reason to lie about anything, he doesn't want to work for WWE again. The fact still is WWF was under the impression that these people were Sting's stunt coordinators, I just felt like you were saying that they hired some "joe blow" just to be cheap. Obviously they were duped on this as well, so there is another fact for ya.

I just think its absolutley ludicrous that the show wasn't cancelled after this happened. That just shows the utter lack of respect Vince has for anyone else other than himself.

There are examples of shows continuing after a wrestler's death. Mike Dibiase, Ted's father, for one.

The last thing I'm going to do is defend Vince's actions, but the wrestling world is shady enough that Vince would not be setting a precedent here.

Guest Amy Ace

I don't doubt that story checks out, and I honestly *do* believe Russo... I don't believe he has any reason to lie about anything, he doesn't want to work for WWE again. The fact still is WWF was under the impression that these people were Sting's stunt coordinators, I just felt like you were saying that they hired some "joe blow" just to be cheap. Obviously they were duped on this as well, so there is another fact for ya.

Russo has a very good reason to lie (which I don't think he was, as I think he was just mistaken), as he was the booker at the time and the one who wrote the show that called for Owen to make that type of an entrance. And let me clarify, the WWF was under the impression that the guy had worked on Sting's stunts before (not the lead corrdinator), which as I said was not true, and by simply checking his references they would have known that. And they also never bothered to check his stunt coordinating credentials to see if he was properly certified, which he wasn't. So I wouldn't say they were dupped as much as wantonly ignorant.

My feeling is that it was a terrible accident, but just that, an ACCIDENT. Vince did not kill Owen. Yes, steps were not taken to ensure his safety, and Martha deserved every penny she got. But Vince McMahon is not a murderer.

Depends on how you look at it. I mean, they didn't have to give him the Blazer gimmick just to show him for not going along with one of their storylines. If that much is true, you could possibly look at it as Owen suffering for being a wrestler in a sports entertainment world...

So, Vince is a murderer because he gave Owen the Blazer gimmick?!? Sorry, but that's a huge stretch.

I read on PWInsider's Q&A recently that Martha's book is the hard to find one and they said that "it turns up on ebay a lot but be ready to pay some hard money for it." So thats why I thought it was Martha's book. If you were to have asked me a year ago which the controversial book was, I would've said Diana's. Right now, I have no idea whether Martha or Diana's is the rare/controversial book, so hopefully someone can enlighten us who is sure of what they're talking about.

Well Martha Hart made up a list of all the stuff that was bullshit and Diana Hart couldn't prove otherwise and they pulled the book

Is this list anywhere online?

No, I think it was all a legal matter. Martha mentions it in her book.

And I was joking about the kayfabe remark, it was a reference to a thread a while back where a big debate was held about Owen's death.

And given that Diana's book was pulled from book stores almost as soon as it went on-sell, it's not hard to figre out which is the rare one.

Guest Amy Ace

I dunno about a whole list but some of the claims Diana made were that Bulldog drugged her and anally rapped her several times. That Martha and Owen had to get married for some reason I can't remember. And the Helen Hart was a raging alocholic (although, she did have a drinking probelm, she kept it very well hid, she was what you would call a functioning alcoholic.)