TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jebus

OAO Against All Odds PPV thread

Whoever beats Joe is an instant star.

I'll call it right now

Lethal beats Joe.

TNA does appear to be high on Lethal and they do have a back-story (as long as TNA is willing to reference ROH, which they have done before).

I would save Joe's first pinfall lost to occur at Bound for Glory in October. Yes, that's right. I believe they can stretch this reign out that much longer. Now I know Joe has seemingly blown through the entire division and in a way, he has.

Would I have Lethal dethrone Joe? I don't know. If Aries wasn't jobbing out right now or being a comedy act, I would take Aries instead. All I ask is that it's not AJ, Williams or Daniels. I want to see a new piece of X puzzle figure out Joe and tame him.

I agree, it shouldn't be someone who has already been X Division champ. I wouldn't want to be Aries, ROH already did it, and it was cool..sure, but TNA should get their own ideas for the most part.

I think I might order my first TNA PPV.

Maybe they'll let Christian have it for awhile to show that they're better than WWE in not letting their fans down. That would be the smart thing to do, since they have to be aware of how almost everyone was excited at Edge winning and then completely let down when he lost it.

Due to the fact that Christian made his own choice to leave and go to TNA, immediately giving him the title and a decent run with it would be a great message to send to unhappy WWE stars. Wrestlers choosing to leave rather than getting fired and using TNA as a second option should be encouraged, this would be a way to do it.

TNA has already shown, since going to Spike, that they listen to the fans.

The fans pushed Hoyt, so they give them Hoyt each and every PPV, and he's booked decently strong

The fans pushed Lethal, so they gave him a trial match against AJ, put him in a 3-way with Joe but had him not involved in the finish, and give him a PPV win over 2 former X division champs

They got Christian, pushed him SLOWLY...beautiful really...slow burn to the title, where they were practically SCREAMING to the fans that he would get it. And he did, and they got their moment.

No shit they're sending a signal to other workers.

Hell, even Jarrett went out the way a cowardly heel should.

the man to de-throne joe????

jeffjarrettx.jpg

I haven't watched the entire PPV yet, but I must say that the ending to the Christian/JJ match was one of the all time great moments in wrestling as far as I'm concerned. They did it perfectly with all of the buildup on the pre-show, then right before the match as well.

Now if only Edge was still WWE champ, we'd have Edge, Christian, and Angle all with titles. :)

It's got to be bittersweet for Christian to win a world title that's not a WWE title (especially considering the others who have held the TNA title - not very prestigious). Sure he's the champ, but he's not THE champ.

It's got to be bittersweet for Christian to win a world title that's not a WWE title (especially considering the others who have held the TNA title - not very prestigious). Sure he's the champ, but he's not THE champ.

Ric Flair

Harley Race

Ricky Steamboat

Terry Funk

Lou Thesz

Buddy Rogers

Dory Funk Jr

Gene Kineski

Dusty Rhodes

Sting

Chono

Barry Windham

Great Muta

Steve Corino

Hashimoto

Yeah, gosh that is one shitty list of champions.

BTW, It's not the TNA title.

Ric Flair

Harley Race

Ricky Steamboat

Terry Funk

Lou Thesz

Buddy Rogers

Dory Funk Jr

Gene Kineski

Dusty Rhodes

Sting

Chono

Barry Windham

Great Muta

Steve Corino

Hashimoto

Yeah, gosh that is one shitty list of champions.

BTW, It's not the TNA title.

Well, it hasn't been held by such greats as Vince McMahon and Diesel has it?

Every title has a horrible line at one point or another, but the NWA TNA title is just as prestigious as the WWE. Probably even more so if you want to go all the way back.

I don't think it's bittersweet for Christian at all. He's on top of a major promotion after making his own decision to leave the company he was with. If he stayed in the E, he'd be feuding with Orlando Jordan or something equally stupid.

I should ask now but Hebner was just a one time thing right? Just to tease montreal...right?

Otherwise, I might have problems. He wasn't that good of a referee to begin with but now that he seemingly aged about 20 years and lost way to much weight and that he still uses his traditional loooooooong 3 count style...I don't want to see him back again.

Also, how can this be bittersweet for Christian? After spending years as an mid-card act and getting buried despite being insanely over, he is now the face of a major national promotion and is expected to carry the promotion into the next level. How can you be bittersweet about that?

Guest Prodigy

Two notes from Meltzer on the LAW:

- Since the day Christian signed, the plan was to put the title on him at this exact PPV

- This won't be a repeat of Rhino's run, as Christian will be given a chance to run with the ball

It's bittersweet for people that view the WWE belts as the ones worthy of "world" title status.

I'm willing to wager that Christian does not view the WWE belts in that way.

Two notes from Meltzer on the LAW:

- Since the day Christian signed, the plan was to put the title on him at this exact PPV

- This won't be a repeat of Rhino's run, as Christian will be given a chance to run with the ball

If they have been planning since day one to give him the belt at this PPV, that's what I call long term booking plans. If TNA really does book like this, I am even more hopeful about the direction of the company. I don't know if it's true but if it is, well DAMN that is impressive.

I think people who reach to compare this to Rhino (or even AJ's) title wins are failing to realize that neither had much build, while this had 3 months worth. Rhino was a last minute sub...they put the belt on him to pop the crowd into not noticing they weren't delivering the advertised main event and then they hit the reset button the first chance they got. And while AJ's title win had a video package setting it up, AJ and Jarrett were not having a pro-long feud. AJ just kinda took a break from feuding with Daniels to stop the crowd's groaning at Jarrett's long run, because they fucked up the one person they'd built up a title change for (Monty). This does not appear comparable at all.

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave

Dave Meltzer is reporting that

Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels, and AJ Styles are scheduled to wrestle in a 3 way once again at Destination X but this time it will be an Ultimate X match.

Not a bad show overall, but the title match was pretty poor. I did enjoy Hebner's ridiculous selling of getting slightly kicked in the shin though.

Hopefully there are some better matches ahead for Christian. A defence against Abyss would be enjoyable, I think.

I have no clue where they'll go with Joe next. Hell, throw Abyss in against him if not Christian.

Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels, and AJ Styles are scheduled to wrestle in a 3 way once again at Destination X but this time it will be an Ultimate X match.

What is the point by now? Adding that new addition won't do much for it anyways.

Time to move on.

I just have a bad feeling Stings return will be caused by Jarrett screwing over Christian and getting the title back. I can possibly even see it being an injury angle.

I'm kind of in the same boat that I have this shitty feeling that Christian will get fucked over and either in a rematch Jarrett wins, or even worse would be if they just give the title back to Jarrett on a ref technicality that he officially should have been DQed by Slick Johnson for the lowblows and as such, retains the title. Hell, I think even then going back and having Christian then beating Jarrett clean again to get back the title is horribly unproductive as they had already done the chase angle so well done, and then to fuck it up in the aftermath and then try to go back to it just shows their ass more than anything. But anyway I really hope I'm wrong. The fact that the crowd legitimately chanted "please retire" at Jarrett speaks volumes on how big of a mistake it would be to let JJ anywhere near the title again. At most, a match at Destination X with Christian and Monte Brown and Jarrett in a three way may be acceptable, but thats about it. Sounds like they are doing Brown/Christian instead so I wonder what this means for JJ at Destination X? Raven-Jarrett? Truth-Jarrett? A rematch with Christian-JJ is even pushing it as far as something worth even promoting, as I just don't see the draw in a rematch particularly, but it will probably happen.

Watched the ppv again last night and putting it all together, this has to be in at least the top five TNA shows of all time (weekly and monthly) in terms of just overall value to the show after all is said and done. The undercard was pretty strong (maybe because of the new CEO?) and the top matches definately delivered.

Random thoughts....

Damn did they bust their asses in that opening match or what? One of the better Naturals matches I've seen, and most definately Aries and Strong's best stuff since they came in. I just hope there is no punishment for Aries/Strong at all, as they showcased their value here.

The X Division four way was alright, but it just lacked direction at all. Glad to see Lethal get the nod. Shelly and Lethal should work a program while guys like Williams and Bentley are more aimed towards x division tags in the future hopefully.

They gotta let go this Machete guy ASAP, as he just doesnt fit in LAX and the group as a whole really fell flat on the show here. If they keep it up, the group is going to go nowhere fast, and the LAX idea has great potential. Konnan can't do much these days so its imperative they get someone to carry the load while Cide and Konnan heal up. Machete is the farthest thing from that guy.

They really gotta tell Billy Gunn to seriously consider changing up his look - it might have worked with him looking half as ridiculous as he does now back in 98, but now he just looks plain embarrasing and the James Gang team is just begging for some credibility right about now - I cant get over just how un-over these guys are right now. Road Dogg seems to be trying, but Gunn is just a unintentional comedy act that nobody can buy in that gay as fuck getup.

Killings showing up in the surprisingly hot Duds-Team Canada match didnt make much sense. Where can they even go with that other than another match with Roode? Killings deserves more than this, but its good to see they at least arent completely forgetting about him either.

Three way match was definately great, but again, just a small nudge below their earlier match last year. The finish seemed kind of out of nowhere and I think another 5-10 minutes would have really put this match on the map long term. Some sick bumps though and definately will be MOTY candidate.

Both Sabin and Dutt were both under some different injuries in this match, Sabin with the legit ankle problem and apparently Dutt was knocked silly at some point in the match (that might explain his odd behaviour while being handcuffed) and with that said, the match was pretty decent, other than a few botches by Dutt. Much better than expected.

Main event just had all kind of right things that they did in it, even to the Hebner role in the match. Told a great story and post-match made it seem like this was the biggest moment ever in TNA and was a serious turning point in the company.

What is the point by now? Adding that new addition won't do much for it anyways.

Time to move on.

I dunno, it might really be the ultimate finale of a tremendous series of matches with these guys that they've all had with each other since mid-last year. I'm really feeling another rematch is in order for some reason, just to finally blow off the whole thing. Either this or a cage match at Lockdown would work.

If this is the actual direction they are going, I could see Daniels winning the Destination X match, leading to a final Daniels-Styles showdown at Lockdown in the cage for the X title. Joe then can still be protected via a Daniels pinfall win on Styles as well, and he could be moved into a seperate deal for Lockdown and beyond - perhaps versus Low-Ki to start or something. After this feud with these three is completely done, I think serious consideration needs to be given to put Styles and Joe into the world title hunt also, or AT LEAST Joe.

That's the only way to get the title off of Joe without it hurting him, but they really need to wait. They've had too many UX matches in too short a time.

Having Joe lose the title without giving someone that rub isn't the right move. Unless they want to build him towards the NWA title still undefeated.

Having AJ/Daniels do that just sets the company back a year, it's time to elevate new blood at the top of the X divison. Shelley, Lethal, Aries etc

--Some notes from last night. Austin Aries blew out his knee when it buckled underneath him when Chase Stevens did a shooting star press to the floor. Apolo no-showed, so they used a guy named Ricky Vega as Machete as his replacement. Sonjay Dutt was also knocked silly during his match.

from Meltzer.

I guess Apollo is on his way out now.