TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jebus

OAO Against All Odds PPV thread

Tonight's show delivered.

An excellent X Title three way match, a main event that finally delivered with a near-clean finish that finally put the title on Cage, a good undercard and only 1-2 throwaway matches.

Wait, TNA brought in Hebner making people think screw-job and then had Christian go clean over Jarrett for the title?

Well shit, way to go TNA. They avoided all the cliches and actually went clean finish, new champion. This show sounded very good. I'll be getting it on DVD.

Let's just hope Jarrett doesn't win the title back like he did against Rhino just a few months ago.

Edit: Damn it, I keep spelling it "Rhyno" sometimes because he went by "Rhyno" for so long thanks to WWE with their "cool" spellings.

Let's just hope Jarrett doesn't win the title back like he did against Rhyno just a few months ago.

You kidding? He'll probably win it on the first Thursday IMPACT! show.

I hope I'm wrong and they give Christian a good run before he drops it to Joe or Brown.

Let Jarrett go feud with Sting and Raven for awhile god dammit.

PPV was well worth the purchase, TNA did the right thing in the main event in not overdoing the Montreal crap and going to a credible clean finish to put over Christian strong. Thought the three way was great, but not as good as the first one just because of the finish coming out of nowhere. Rest of the show was acceptable, and that was a damn fine bump by Abyss there. Visually the angles they had filmed that bump, it looked impressive. I'll be interested to see where they go with Christian now. I thought, for sure, we'd see run-ins from Brown, Sting, etc, but I think it was for the best as they can do some of that stuff next ppv with a likely Jarrett/Christian rematch.

While I am glad that Cage went over almost completely clean and I am skeptical about how long this reign will last...

I never want to see Jarrett/Christian again. Aside from the final minute of that match, it was horrid.

While I am glad that Cage went over almost completely clean and I am skeptical about how long this reign will last...

I never want to see Jarrett/Christian again. Aside from the final minute of that match, it was horrid.

Did the ref bumps benefit Jarrett or Christian? Like, did Christian survive tons of Jarrett cheating to win the belt? If he did, then they actually managed to play the "Against all odds" name into the title match. Which I like. Make the name mean some shit. Plus to me, that's a perfectly clean finish.

The days of one on one, no interference, no ref bumps and clean 1-2-3 are over in the major promotions.

I think it's gotta be a guarantee of a rematch either at the next ppv, the first Impact on Thurs nite (which they are trying to get two hours for), or at latest Lockdown. I have some weird fear that Larry is going to maybe give Jarrett another title shot or at worst they even give Jarrett the title back on Impact this week, with Larry saying Slick Johnson was about to DQ him and technically since he was trying to DQ him, Jarrett would retain the title. I totally hope I'm wrong there though but its weird how they had done a segment in the back with Larry, Hebner, and Slick Johnson earlier in the ppv. I hope TNA isnt going down a stupid road and having Johnson being Jarrett's secret "evil" rep that helps him out of situations when shit goes down.

I think it's gotta be a guarantee of a rematch either at the next ppv, the first Impact on Thurs nite (which they are trying to get two hours for), or at latest Lockdown. I have some weird fear that Larry is going to maybe give Jarrett another title shot or at worst they even give Jarrett the title back on Impact this week, with Larry saying Slick Johnson was about to DQ him and technically since he was trying to DQ him, Jarrett would retain the title. I totally hope I'm wrong there though but its weird how they had done a segment in the back with Larry, Hebner, and Slick Johnson earlier in the ppv. I hope TNA isnt going down a stupid road and having Johnson being Jarrett's secret "evil" rep that helps him out of situations when shit goes down.

Slick Johnson as the Jarrett version of Nick Patrick? God, that would be incredibly lame.

Did the ref bumps benefit Jarrett or Christian? Like, did Christian survive tons of Jarrett cheating to win the belt? If he did, then they actually managed to play the "Against all odds" name into the title match. Which I like. Make the name mean some shit. Plus to me, that's a perfectly clean finish.

The days of one on one, no interference, no ref bumps and clean 1-2-3 are over in the major promotions.

The ref bumps were benefiting the Christian chase, playing into the "against all odds" deal even more since he had Jarrett beat at least twice for a good ten count once even. So it was basically just about as clean as it goes with Jarrett world title matches. Much cleaner than when he jobbed out the title to Styles last May.

Also forgot to mention the visual at the end of the ppv worked very well and pimping that out on TV in TNA commercials might not be a bad idea with Christian in the ring with the crowd.

Let's just hope Jarrett doesn't win the title back like he did against Rhyno just a few months ago.

You kidding? He'll probably win it on the first Thursday IMPACT! show.

I hope I'm wrong and they give Christian a good run before he drops it to Joe or Brown.

Let Jarrett go feud with Sting and Raven for awhile god dammit.

Let Jarrett go feud with Jackie Gayda in Good House Keeping matches...that bitch deserves to get smacked in the head with some iron skillets, toasters, ironing boards.

RedJed: Your situation would work except for one thing...

Unless they've changed this rule, DQs and Count Outs mean the champions lose the titles as well in TNA.

That's how Jerry Lynn and The Amazing Red lost the Tag Team Titles.

Unless they've changed this rule, DQs and Count Outs mean the champions lose the titles as well in TNA.

To be honest, I wouldn't expect them to remember that, but even if they did, you could just have them hold up the belt given the controversy behind it. Again, I HOPE I'm wrong but I just don't trust that clean of a finish until I see how they follow up with it. This could be something like a dumb rehash of booking close to how they did Sting-Hogan in late 97/early 98 leading to a rematch a few months later at SuperBrawl.

Wasn't that only because of a pre-match stipulation and not a regular rule?

I think...and I may have to go back and dig up something from old threads here...but I THINK that it was mentioned in one of the early shows of TNA about that situation, but was used for the first time in that match.

So at the time it was a rule, but a rarely used one.

It was a regular rule, but I think it's forgotten. It wasn't mentioned at all when slick almost DQ'd Jarrett, and it hasn't been mentioned for WELL over a year.

When TNA started in 2002, it was a regualr rule: lose the match, lose the title...doesn't matter whether it's DQ or countout.

last title change by DQ was 04. tag titles. Kid Kash & Dallas lost the titles to D'Lo and Apollo by DQ, then won the titles back by DQ.

that was before the FSN debut.

Guest Bammey

Great PPV tonight!

Great X-Division action with Lethal finding his place in TNA.

The 3-way X-Division match delivered a lot of excitement and was quick paced throughout. Daniels claims his beef with Joe isn't over but how many times are we gonna get Joe and Daniels? And who else is credible to have a chance of beating Joe? Hes beat the two best in the X-Division multiple times.

Rhino and Abyss brang the hardcore action which has become a novelty in TNA PPVs. Abyss once again takes the big bump. Good garbage match that had the crowd eating off of.

The Tag Title match was scarred with the focus being on Sabin's "injured" ankle injury which led to a lot of ground work and constant AMW tags. It really dulled the match out until the hott tag where Dutt exploded all over the place. I would've perfered they have not gone with the injured Sabin route and gave us the underdog X-guys using their speed and heart to try and beat AMW with tons of near falls and a point in the match where we think Dutt and Sabin are to win. We got some of that but the body of the match was dull throughout.

LAX/James Gang stuff has to be the worse thing on TNA right now. Konnan walking away from a fight with Bullet Bob? Please.

Christian and JJ was overall pretty solid. Didn't take too long and stayed pretty basic with Christian and JJ mixing it up well. Very typical WWE-like overbooking and terribly executed ref. bumps. Christian picks up the win however and a huge celebration ensues. Great moment!

last title change by DQ was 04. tag titles. Kid Kash & Dallas lost the D'Lo and Apollo by DQ, then won the titles back by DQ.

that was before the FSN debut.

OK, so unless something's changed since then, it's still a rule.

However, you never know with TNA anymore.

...someone should E-mail them asking them about that.

Honestly I found the main event to be almost a satire of every WWE cliched main event of the past 7 years. What I didn't get about it was where was Larry Z. during all that? He talked constantly about firing anyone who did a run in and yet here is Gail Kim interfering at will.

I think they put the title on Christian tonight due to Edge getting it in WWE. Will Christian job it back in 3 weeks however? Will he and his hot wife have torrid sex in the middle of the ring on the next Impact?

At this point I almost think they could be making Joe TOO invincible. As in there's no one believably on the roster who stands a chance. I mean fucking Alex Shelley beating Joe? Austin Aries? I don't give a shit about what Aries and others did against Joe in ROH...in TNA's universe those guys are Joe's jobber bitches.

I was just wondering but what's up with Sabu? I'd almost like to see him take a shot at Joe, but he's not really X division. That would be a sick match though...I'd fear for Sabu's life.

well maybe something will come of the threat of firing. The crowd was chanting "fire gail" so basically calling out TNA's BS if they don't fire her.

I just hope this is gonna be a new era, not just a time where Christian holds a belt until primetime. We need to see Christian vs all those that Jarrett beat for a fresher main event program. I'd like to see some pics of the crowd running in. Sounded fun.

Glad that Christian won the strap, and even gladder that JJ lost in a pretty clean fashion. I hope they go in a new direction with this, instead of keeping the spotlight on Jarrett nonstop.

I'd HATE for there to be a Christian/JJ rematch. Jarrett promised that the NEXT title shot would go to Monty. Sure, JJ should want the rematch, but Monty should call BS on that, setting him up to turn face and challenge Jarrett for the shot at the next PPV. Monty goes over due to lights going out or some sort of eerie Sting-ference. JJ moves onto Sting and Monty heads for the title.

Christian should defend against Rhino at the next PPV just as "friendly competition". Christian would win, and Rhino would be right there to meet Monty as he makes his way towards the belt. While Monty/Rhino goes on, Abyss returns from hiatus to give Christian a good match or two for the belt.

And amongst all that, Raven has to return at some point. Much better scenario than JJ bitching to get back the title.