TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hawk 34

Ring of Honor 2.11.06

I know we have a thread already opened speculating on what tonight's show will result in but I felt giving tonight's big event it's own thread was worth it.

Here is what has been officially announced

ROH Title Match

“The American Dragon” Bryan Danielson Vs Alex Shelley

ROH Pure Title Match

Nigel McGuiness Vs Austin Aries

-

No other match has been announced as of right now.

Gabe made a rare promise and guarantee that tonight’s show has a big surprise that won't disapoint, and that by missing it, it will be a regret fans will never forget (playing off an old ECW hype) and might even introduce a different format. Also, offered a full refund by the end of the 3rd match to any fans disappointed.

Speculation as to what this surprise is has ranged from

Jericho, Foley, Benoit, Regal, Kobashi, Jarrett, London, Gibson, Paul Heyman, Spanky and CM Punk.

DOI reports Punk is in LI right now, although it’s not uncommon for Punk to appear backstage for ROH shows (he recently attended the ROH show in Dayton just 2 weeks ago, alongside Al Snow).

It was reported by PWI, that TNA has requested that Alex Shelley, Homicide and Jay Lethal not appear at the ROH show and head to Orlando because they are booked for 2/12 PPV and there is a massive snowstorm on the way for the Long Island area. Austin Aries and Roderick Strong, decided to stay in Long Island, despite also being booked for the TNA ppv.

Samoa Joe is also not scheduled for the show either is Daniels and AJ Styles. (Joe and Daniels, are flying in from Korea into Orlando)

To say ROH is lacking star-power is a understatement.

It potentially has lost it’s main event tonight with Shelley out.

It will be quite an eventful night, with a lot of questions and expectations abound.

a) Smash Bradley & Bobby Dempsey over Rick Titus & Keenan Quinn

b) Derek Dempsey defended the Top of the Class Trophey over Shane Hagadorn

1) ADAM PEARCE over PELLE PRIMEAU & MITCH FRANKLIN...Pelle and Franklin were set to square off, but Pearce interrupted and took on and beat both men. He then declared that he'd be sitting at ringside...right in front of GLF!

-JULIUS SMOKES and THE GRIM REEFER came out. COLT CABANA'S theme soon followed, but turned into MISERIA CANTARE over the audio system and....

CM PUNK returns to ROH tonight!!!! (The crowd went absolutely APE!)

Punk started his promo by saying that he does not have a lot of friends...because some people think he's cocky and he even said he went so far as to try and rub off his tattoos last week.

He was then attacked by Adam Pearce, only to be saved by COLT CABANA.

Punk then asked Cabana why he changed. Punk said that Cabana's mom had even called and asked where she could find Colt.

Cabana told Punk he doesn't need his Dad to be a father-figure and he doesn't need Punk to be a father-figure.

Punk left the ring and Cabana was jumped by GRIM REEFER.

2) COLT CABANA over GRIM REEFER with a lariat

3) RICKY REYES over KID MIKAZE

4) NIGEL MCGUINNESS retained the PURE TITLE over AUSTIN ARIES in a reportedly "really good" match

*RETURN DATE TO LAKE GROVE, NY is FRIDAY, MAY 12th*

-RODERICK STRONG hit the ring and called out BRYAN DANIELSON. He stated that since he is the #1 contender to the title, he should get his shot tonight.

BJ WHITMER came out and told Strong he was tired of being passed over and challenged him for the #1 contendership.

BRYAN DANIELSON made his way out and told Strong that he was going to give him the title shot tonight, but.....Strong doesn't deserve it.

PRINCE NANA made his way out and stated that since he could not secure Alex Shelley's flight from Ghana that he was bringing out one of the first members of The Embassy and the 2nd ever ROH Champion, XAVIER!!!

-DANIELSON v. XAVIER for the title is on...NOW!

5) BRYAN DANIELSON over XAVIER via DQ to retain the ROH WORLD TITLE due to interference from JIMMY RAVE

Rave attacked Danielson and CM PUNK made the save, only to be attacked again by ADAM PEARCE.

It appears the main event will be DANIELSON/PUNK v. RAVE/PEARCE.

6) JIMMY YANG over JERRELLE CLARK, AZRIEAL, & JASON BLADE in a 4CS

7) RODERICK STRONG over BJ WHITMER...following the match, Whitmer would not shake hands.

8) CM PUNK & BRYAN DANIELSON over JIMMY RAVE & ADAM PEARCE when PUNK made RAVE submit.

Punk gave a speech following the match.

I don't know why, but a Strong/Whitmer match sounds like it could be awesome.

Gibson/Whitmer had a very good match together, I wouldn't put it out of question that Strong/Whitmer could bring the goods.

Thoughts:

Losing Joe, Styles, Daniels, Shelley, Ki, Lethal and Homicide really hurt and so far Xavier and Punk isn't enough to justify the hype. On a regular night, fans would consider this an understandable throwaway show with the circumstances but they hyped it to the extremes.

Punk is very much appreciated but it's hardly a surprise when 90% of the fans instantly predicted Punk to return. X is a mild surprise, only because he was gone for so long and seemingly forgotten but not neccesarily a major name anyways.

Strong/Whitmer and the tag match might deliver and I'm sure Nigel/Aries was solid as well. Hardly "changing the face of wrestling" or anything.

They better have something big planned to make up for the DQ in the ROH Title match. And CM Punk showing up isn't it.

The last match ended around 10:20, leaving a good 90+ minutes left in the show with just one match left. I am guessing Shelley/Rave Vs Punk/Danielson was the intended main event until the weather situation changed it.

While I am sure Nigel/Aries and Strong/Whitmer delivered in giving good matches, so far not even a Punk and Xavier return lives up to the hype.

If they didn't hype this so much, Punk and Xavier would be better received.

A lesson learned for ROH? Don't book a show the night before TNA's ppv on the east during winter season.

Are there any reports of a large group of people walking out to claim their refunds? That's about the only thing that would have been worse than getting buried by a blizzard and miserably failing in living up to the unneeded hype.

Not really fair when you lose a huge chunk of your main roster due to other bookings or weather chaos.

You have to consider that Gabe likely had to completely re-book this show yet again after finding out 3 of his big names were going to be MIA.

Even so, Shelley/Lethal/Cide being there wouldn't change it. He promised a MAJOR surprise and it hasn't lived up...yet.

I am also hearing reports that the show is very low with attendence because of the weather.

Guest Happy Go Nowhere
A lesson learned for ROH? Don't book a show the night before TNA's ppv on the east during winter season.

I'd hope the lesson would be:

"Do not ever...ever put this level of hype on a show, because nothing you do is ever going to live up to it.

Gabe's never been good when it comes to ridiculous hyperbole, while this is the worst case so far it's far from the first time he's built up expectations too high for ROH to deliver. And that's with a fanbase that already loves to jump to conclusions and unrealistic scenarios.

There is still time left for something huge to cap off the night, but I'm not sure even that could make up for things.

so unless it's Heyman cutting a promo to end all promos and some mass brawl erupting leading to an impromptu title match with Danielson/Strong with Danielson tapping out to lose the title...

yeah nothing else will live up.

"Punk & Danielson b Pearce & Rave when Punk used the Anaconda vise on Rave. Match was long, and good, but nothing special.

Crowd was down most of the night expecting something spectacular and disappointed by what was said to be overhype. Punk, Danielson and Strong all seemed visibly miffed at times because they had to work so hard to get a response. "

Well......................Gabe kinda fucked up this time, didn't he?

"Punk & Danielson b Pearce & Rave when Punk used the Anaconda vise on Rave. Match was long, and good, but nothing special.

Crowd was down most of the night expecting something spectacular and disappointed by what was said to be overhype. Punk, Danielson and Strong all seemed visibly miffed at times because they had to work so hard to get a response. "

Well......................Gabe kinda fucked up this time, didn't he?

He has an out with the weather, so he can say "the surprise couldn't fly in due to the weather".

BS, but it can be an out.

Guest Happy Go Nowhere

It's a sad day when the biggest, bestest most rassle-changingest RoH even ever is potentially upstaged by a CZW event with Kevin Steen in the main event.

And what's really fun is, that if they'd just promoted this event as a regular RoH event with a couple of surprises, it have been fine. Gabe really shot himself in the foot it seems. I mean, really, what was he thinking going into this?

It's a sad day when the biggest, bestest most rassle-changingest RoH even ever is potentially upstaged by a CZW event with Kevin Steen in the main event.

And what's really fun is, that if they'd just promoted this event as a regular RoH event with a couple of surprises, it have been fine. Gabe really shot himself in the foot it seems. I mean, really, what was he thinking going into this?

I am hoping for the sake of Gabe's credibility, that the surprise was canceled because of the weather.

That being said, not living up to a promise isn't going to hurt ROH. It's rather commonplace in wrestling to fail to live up to the hype.

Gabe just has to not become consistant at disapointing.

It should be noted that Gabe is a mark for CM Punk, so in his mind this was a major event.

I'll be interested to say what Gabe says in response to such obvious fan disappointment. If he comes clean and explains himself without trying to BS his way through letting people down, then people will be more forgiving than if he tries to doubletalk his way out of it.

Something I want to know is this, what was Punk thinking agreeing to work a ONO with ROH?

He's getting heat from the wrong people in the company for being KING OF THE INDIES, so he goes back to ROH for one more time?

I am not sure if Gabe made the request, but if he had the choice of one wwe contracted worker appearing and going over ROH talent...

Paul London would have been the right move considering he hasn't been in ROH for 2+ years. Punk left 7 months ago.

ROH hasn't had time to miss Punk.

Also, Maria was there (for the obvious reasons)

Guest cdub112

Am I the only one wondering why it is ok for CM Punk to work the ROH show when he is signed under a WWE development deal?

Am I the only one wondering why it is ok for CM Punk to work the ROH show when he is signed under a WWE development deal?

I think it's safe to say, WWE gave him the okay to make a one night return as a favor to ROH.

Not as big as it was made out to be, but not disappointing like a lot of people on both the ROH forums and here are making it out to be.

It was the return of two former ROH champions, and from what I'm hearing a pretty decent show considering four wrestlers pulled off due to various reasons. ROH had a string of really good-decent shows, and had one tonight that didn't live up to expectations for some.

With all the wrestlers they bring overseas, all the sales they give on their site, and the good product they put out they deserve to put out one underwhelming show ever so often. I can name a major promotion that does it on a weekly basis.

They gave a returning XAVIER a title shot against Danielson? When you have a bunch of people pulling out of the show and so much hype that something big is going to happen, you give XAVIER a World Title Shot? Why?

They wanted to set up the main event and Shelley wasn't there for his match, so Xavier with his Embassy connections was a logical move without blowing the 2/25 main event with Dragon/Rave.