TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest karlitoapple

News on Austin Aries and Roderick Strong

Guest karlitoapple

We'll have an update probably tomorrow, but Roderick Strong and Austin Aries are more than just in the TNA doghouse. The company is sending a strong message out as they are tired of people missing PPV shows. Strong & Aries didn't miss, but the feeling is they put themselves in the position to mix by working ROH the night before given the weather. Both worked last night.

NOOOO.. they are two of my favorites. I'm glad this new CEO is all about business, but... aaagh. Don't understand how they could be in the doghouse over this already.

Guest El Satanico

I guess it's good to get the message out, but I don't like them being in the doghouse for something that didn't happen.

They knew there was a strong chance of a serious snowstorm in the Northeast where the ROH show was being held and still went. I can see why they are in the doghouse although I don't really agree with the decision considering. They had a PPV match and they put TNA in a position where they would have had to scrape an advertised match.

I'd say give it a few weeks and either than are gone or they are back on the TNA good side. I'd bet more on the good side but for the next month I'd say it's job out city.

Pay them more so they don't have to take other bookings.

For those two, it's not about the money with ROH. Aries is ROH's trainer and locker room leader, so it's not just another booking and Roderick Strong is basically right there with him.

Alex Shelley has made it clear before ROH isn't as important as TNA and Z1 for him.

TNA is just sending a message and Aries/Strong will be be used as examples here.

Here's more about this from Mike Johnson:

TNA will be removing Roderick Strong and Austin Aries from their bookings for at least the next several tapings and possibly as long as several months in a disciplinary move for willingly putting themselves in a position where they could have missed the Against All Odds PPV this past weekend, despite orders to skip a Ring of Honor event to travel to Florida.

Aries and Strong were among a crew of TNA wrestlers scheduled to appear at Ring of Honor's Lake Grove, New York event the night before Against All Odds in Orlando. Due to the heavy snowstorm that was heading into the Northeast, TNA management requested that everyone leave immediately for the airport and booked them on flights to Orlando. Jay Lethal, Alex Shelley, and Homicide all left and flew to Orlando. Aries and Strong, who hold the ROH Tag Team belts, remained and worked the show. They flew to Florida the next morning and appeared on the PPV as scheduled in a loss to the Naturals.

Strong and Aries both lost matches at the Impact taping two nights later. Their storyline where they and Alex Shelley had been complaining that they were being given chances in TNA, which teased an eventual showdown with Jerry Lynn, was also dropped. The company was unhappy with the two not doing what was requested of them when asked, which led to the decision to "bench them" for the time being.

I was told by a number of sources that while TNA does value Aries and Strong's work, they unfortunately ended up being made an example of because management is tired of talents missing PPV events when advertised. Although they made the PPV, Strong and Aries are being penalized by TNA in an attempt to send a message to the locker room and will have to pay the price.

My Thoughts: I see both sides of the coin here, but I think the punishment is going to far outweight the crime. From their perspective, I agree that TNA needs to make sure that their roster respects the company and appear when advertised. If they don't, it erodes fan confidence in their product. Without question, TNA has been burnt by no shows (Jeff Hardy, Sean Waltman, Apolo, etc.) in the past. The company had to draw a line and should have done it a long time ago. If someone no shows, they should be forced to sit out the remainder of their deal, no matter what their name value is to the company.

Still, I can't help but feel like something else could have been done to discipline Strong and Aries. Perhaps I'm flawed in my thinking (and I could be), but logically, if you have two young talented wrestlers who care enough to work despite the weather conditions, then make sure they are in Florida in time to appear on the TNA PPV, those are two wrestlers with work ethic that you want as part of your company. Not the "name wrestlers" who pull a no show but are brought back because they can move a few T-shirts bought by fans who don't realize they are far removed their glory days of the past few years. These aren't two guys who are going to blow off shows. They are going to go out of their way to make sure they make them. I see that as a commendable asset, not a punishable offense.

TNA obviously wants their wrestlers to jump when they are asked to jump. I can respect that and TNA is footing the bill as well as giving then national exposure, so they deserve that respect. However, yhis was an unusual circumstance because of the weather condition and one that's likely never going to be repeated. I can see a call being made for Aries and Strong to forfeit their PPV pay or even having to cover their own transportation and lodging for the next few tapings, but to sit them out seems like a punishment far worse then any crime, especially when they made the show and fulfilled their duties. It does nothing for the company, the wrestlers, or the fans.

I personally just don't see the positive in removing two talented wrestlers from the roster for something so minor at the same time TNA is gearing up for national primetime TV. It sends a message to the wrestlers, but at the same time, they are diluting the company's product, in my opinion, by forcing them to sit on the sidelines. It's not as if it was Samoa Joe and AJ Styles possibly missed their main event slot on the show, because if that was the case, their infraction would have gone unnoticed because of their position on the card. These were two wrestlers in an opening match that was hardly advertised, and (with all due respect to the four talented guys working that opener) was not selling any PPV buys. When Waltman and Hardy no-show, a case can be made that TNA didn't deliver what they promised. Aries and Strong? You can't draw that correlation, especially when they made the show.

It's an unfortunate situation, but TNA has now laid down the law. In the effort of fairness, should America's Most Wanted or Team 3D or Christian Cage or Christopher Daniels commit the same mistake, I hope the company intends to treat them the same way. If not, they will have sent a message to more then just their wrestlers.

I'm hoping this doesn't affect ShellEy at the least.

Considering that he did what TNA asked him to do, was pushed in the 4 way @ AAO and is semi-involved in the main program. Shelley will be alright.

Guest Tuxedo Mask

Before forming the Genbassy stable, TNA was treating Aries like a jobber. When they started pushing him, they dressed him up as Austin Aries Hard Gay.

From an exposure / money standpoint, this sucks for Aries. From my perspective as a fan, I'm not saddened at all (for now, and it actually is a shame for Roderick) and hope for more great stuff out of him in ROH.

TNA needed to put their foot down but, if it's as serious as reported (i.e.: not booked for several months!), then I believe it's way too harsh.

Basically, I want my Jerry Lynn angle!

Before forming the Genbassy stable, TNA was treating Aries like a jobber. When they started pushing him, they dressed him up as Austin Aries Hard Gay.

Actually, he dressed himself up as that from the last we heard.

Can I just say

Fuck TNA for booking Apollo after the PPV no show then

Fuck TNA for booking Jeff Hardy after a couple of PPV no show then.

When they started pushing him, they dressed him up as Austin Aries Hard Gay.

Okay, repeat after me smarks.

THAT WAS THE POINT

Aries was supposed to look like a goof because he took Lynn's "get a personality" comment as an urging to get a new wardrobe.

While I wish Strong and Aries could be on TV every week, I don't blame TNA. It sends a message a good message to the wrestlers. As long as they don't bring back Apolo or Hardy before they come back I'm fine with it.

Can I just say

Fuck TNA for booking Apollo after the PPV no show then

Fuck TNA for booking Jeff Hardy after a couple of PPV no show then.

1) Apolo is going to be fired, probably this week.

2) Hardy has actually made TNA money, unlike Strong / Aries.

The punishment here, if they are off for several weeks/months, is too harsh. But TNA is completely right to discipline.

While I agree that the punishment is wicked severe, it kind of has to be. They're setting the precedent that if you miss a PPV (or willingly put yourself in a position to miss the PPV) then you're going to face severe consequences. If they just got a slap on the wrist, wrestlers wouldn't have as much to worry about if they (in the future) make a comparable decision.

If they are trying to set an example, all I have to say is good thing it wasn't Joe, Styles or Jarrett. Let's face it. They're not main eventers so the punishment CAN be that harsh. No way any of the afore mentioned guys miss TV time if they thought about missing a show or even missed a show.

It's all politics.

Very unfair, IMO. I can understand them wanting to be their workers number one priority, but they did make the show. Give them a warning, sure, even cut some of their match fee or whatever, but dropping them from the shows is a bad move, especially when they need guys with the talent of Aries and Strong.

Guest OSIcon

I've read a lot of people elsewhere arguing that TNA was in the right. Their reasoning is usually that you can't have guys no showing when you are about to "go primetime" so an example had to be made.

The problem I see with that is that case, it would be best to make an example out of someone who actually no showed. If I was running TNA, I probably would have sat Aries and Strong down at the PPV and told them we were glad they made it to the PPV. However, had they missed, they would have been in big trouble and punished or even let go (depending on the situation). So in the future, if a situation like this comes up again, they need to make sure they can make it to the PPV (and on time). Tell that to the whole locker room if needed. That gets across you point.

Punishing two guys for something that *could* have happened is just ridiculous.

If they are trying to set an example, all I have to say is good thing it wasn't Joe, Styles or Jarrett.

Honestly, do you think they'd punish Jarrett. If you think so I got a set of bridges in Brooklyn and San Francisco to sell you. Unless you mean by punishment, giving him another 6 months with the strap

If they are trying to set an example, all I have to say is good thing it wasn't Joe, Styles or Jarrett.

Honestly, do you think they'd punish Jarrett. If you think so I got a set of bridges in Brooklyn and San Francisco to sell you. Unless you mean by punishment, giving him another 6 months with the strap

I think you misunderstood what I said. They'll have an easier time "setting an example" with guys that are at best midcarders. They can't punish Joe, Jarrett or Styles the same way.

TNA has absolutely no right to punish guys for showing up on time; it completely violates their Independent Contractor status.

I'd be interested in knowing whether or not TNA has the same "independent contractor" setup as WWE does.

By the same token, how many shows has Jarrett, PART OWNER, put before TNA? I'm no Jarrett apologist, but the guy's probably more dedicated to TNA than anyone on the roster (and rightfully so, since he's got more to lose than anyone who's last name isn't Carter). Just saying is all...

I've read a lot of people elsewhere arguing that TNA was in the right. Their reasoning is usually that you can't have guys no showing when you are about to "go primetime" so an example had to be made.

The problem I see with that is that case, it would be best to make an example out of someone who actually no showed. If I was running TNA, I probably would have sat Aries and Strong down at the PPV and told them we were glad they made it to the PPV. However, had they missed, they would have been in big trouble and punished or even let go (depending on the situation). So in the future, if a situation like this comes up again, they need to make sure they can make it to the PPV (and on time). Tell that to the whole locker room if needed. That gets across you point.

My thoughts exactly. Since they ended up making the booking, they shouldnt be buried, ESPECIALLY to this degree. The ROH gig was an extra payday for them and it sounded like Aries and Strong were already there, so why not? If they didnt make it to the TNA ppv, then, yes, they should have been reprimanded hard for it, but this is just setting an example towards other who have done much worse than this.

Guest ChikoDemono

Imagine how Shelley, Lethal, and Homicide would feel if Aries and Strong did not get punished. Yes, the two did make it to the PPV, but they said "no" to TNA and risked missing a PPV. Shelley, Lethal, and Homicide said "yes" to TNA and missed a payday and possibly respect from many RoH wrestlers and fans. While I believe TNA is in the wrong with what they chose as their punishment, I feel as though it was necessary for them to set a standard in that instance.

People on this board and other places I visited are throwing names like Hardy, Waltman, Nash, and Apolo into the discussion for comparison. Hardy has not been on TV for a long while and is probably still suspended, much like Aries and Strong will be. Apolo's days are pretty much numbered now. Also, this might be the idea of the new CEO, who was not around when Hardy's tenure was a revolving door.

Don't get me wrong, TNA's punishment is almost on par with Bill Watts' "if you lose a fight outside the ring, I will fire you" method; they are overreacting. However, I do feel as though a punishment, a smaller one, was needed to not only show that they appreciate Shelley's, Lethal's, and Homicide's commitment to TNA, but also demonstrate that they are getting serious about their wrestlers' priorities when it comes to other promotions.

It was a no-win situation for Strong and Aries. If I was in their shoes, I honestly would not know what to do. As a fan of RoH, I applaud them for risking their PPV tag match for the RoH show. As a fan of TNA, I will miss seeing them on my TV. However, I still think TNA should have punished them, though in a more sensible way than suspending them without pay, essentially.