TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

Johnny Grunge passes away

Former ECW star Grunge passes away

[email protected]

Mike "Johnny Grunge" Durham was pronounced dead on arrival at an Atlanta area hospital this morning.

The only available details were he was at a friend's house in Peachtree City, GA, and was gasping for air and rushed to the hospital. The preliminary diagnosis from the hospital is that it was said to have to do with complications from sleep apnea.

Grunge and the late Rocco Rock (Ted Petty), as the tag team of Public Enemy, were the first major stars created by ECW in a program against The Funk Brothers. They became ECW's most popular act, to the point they were subject to a bidding war of sorts between WCW and WWF. However, taken out of the ECW environment, they weren't as successful.

Grunge, whose age is believed to be 39, was said by friends to have never been the same since Petty's death.

http://www.wrestlingobserver.com/wo/news/h...t.asp?aID=15521

That's a real shame, he seemed like a decent guy from the little bit of him I saw.

Most of the Public Enemy matches I saw were in WCW. They weren't bad, but I can't say I was ever a big fan. Still, it's always sad when a person dies, especially a wrestler who, regardless of what we thought of his in ring ability, worked hard and sacrificed a lot to entertain the fans.

R.I.P. Johnny Grunge.

Guest The Showcase

I wrestled on a card that featured Johnny Grunge back in October. To say that he looked to be in poor health is a gross understatement. That and all the drugs he had with him doesn't make this any surprise.

Sadly I expected this to happen to him, no matter what I wish I was wrong even though I am not a big fan of his.

sucks that both of PE went so young. Damn RIP Johnny.

I only got to see PE once at an XPW show and I marked out bigtime.

*Waves my hands back and forth"

RIP

the room...its spinning

................................................................................

finally, Ive always wanted to do that.

Man, that is just disturbing, I mean my only brother wants to become a pro wrestler he has the natural size and what not, but if the constant youthful deaths are what happens to people in this business, its not something I want my best friend in. Dying at 39 is way too soon, without it being an accident, or some sort of genetic disorder. Its not even shocking anymore when these men leave behind wives and children before they hit forty years of age, someone needs to step in, you do not see any group of athletes/entertainers dying at this young age outside of possibly 1970s NFL players who die from probably the lifesyle of that era

Now I was never a HUGE fan of Grunge - I liked the P.E. and all but it's not a huge personal loss to me that he's dead

But it's DAMN sad that yet another performer is taken from this earth way, way, way, way too early - I mean dead at 39? That's just a tragedy on so many levels

Rest in Peace man - may you be the last for a while (Which I unfortunately doubt)

Man, that is just disturbing, I mean my only brother wants to become a pro wrestler he has the natural size and what not, but if the constant youthful deaths are what happens to people in this business, its not something I want my best friend in. Dying at 39 is way too soon, without it being an accident, or some sort of genetic disorder. Its not even shocking anymore when these men leave behind wives and children before they hit forty years of age, someone needs to step in, you do not see any group of athletes/entertainers dying at this young age outside of possibly 1970s NFL players who die from probably the lifesyle of that era

Grunge's sleep apnea likely had more to do with being gigantic than wrestling.

This is the same as a random accountant who ate six Hershey bars everyday dying.

At WWE.com they posted a video of PE beating Harlem Heat for the tag belts in WCW. Nice gesture I guess, but it's kinda hollow considering how much of an afterthought they were made out to be by the announcers. They were more interested in the nWo than just about anything going on in the match.

Anyway, PE were my favorites when I first got into ECW back in the day, and it's sad to see that both of them are gone.

At WWE.com they posted a video of PE beating Harlem Heat for the tag belts in WCW. Nice gesture I guess, but it's kinda hollow considering how much of an afterthought they were made out to be by the announcers. They were more interested in the nWo than just about anything going on in the match.

Anyway, PE were my favorites when I first got into ECW back in the day, and it's sad to see that both of them are gone.

Should have shown something from ECW instead.

Guest TheGreatWesuke

I was a huge fan of TPE all of their careers... "Here come da hotstepper" always makes me mark out, wherever I am.

RIP, Johnny.