TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

When's the last time we had a thread about cover songs?

"Girlfriend In a Coma" by Million Dead and "Cemetry Gates" by The Beautiful Mistake were the only good thing on a Smiths tribute album I bought a year or two ago, likewise "I Wanna Be Your Girlfriend" by Pete Yorn and "Havana Affair" by the Chili Peppers on that Ramones one from a few years ago. The Manics have always had a few good covers, "We're All Borgeois Now", "Take The Skinheads Bowling" and "Didn't My Lord Deliver Daniel" being personal favourites

Faith No More - War Pigs

Faith No More - Easy

Bruce Dickinson - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Slayer - Guilty Of Being White

Rage Against The Machine - In My Eyes

Metallica - Whiskey In The Jar

Judas Priest - Johnny B. Goode

Judas Priest - Diamonds & Rust

Children Of Bodom - Aces High

H-Blockx - Ring Of Fire

Ozzy Osbourne - Stayin' Alive

The Offspring - Next To You

Dope - Rebel Yell

Sevendust - Going Back To Cali

Other great cover songs that I'm suprised no one has mentioned:

-Orgy "Blue Monday"

-Fear Factory "Cars"

-Fear Factory "I Will Follow"

-Marilyn Manson "Personal Jesus"

-Ministry "Lay Lady Lay"

-Dope "F*** tha Police"

-Dope "People are People"

-Dope "You Spin Me Round"

-Type O Negative "Summer Breeze"

Can you tell I'm an industrial metal addict?

...by listing 4 nu-metal songs? Dope's only good cover has been "Fuck Tha Police," IMO, because it actually fit them: Edsel and Simon used to be drug dealers, so of course they've had run-in's with the cops. Orgy's cover is good for nostalgia alone, brings me back to middle school...which fucking sucked so fuck Orgy.

CBenoit totally reminded me of Dickinson! His cover of "The Zoo" is 100x better than the Scorpions' original.

And now I get ready for the beheadings as I say the following:

Six Feet Under - "Blackout"

Six Feet Under - "Purple Haze"

Okay..."Purple Haze" sucked as a cover, but it's fucking hilarious. Their cover of Savatage's "Holocaust" isn't that bad, either, nor is their cover of Dead Kennedys' "California Uber Alles."

Guest J0bber

Other great cover songs that I'm suprised no one has mentioned:

-Orgy "Blue Monday"

-Fear Factory "Cars"

-Fear Factory "I Will Follow"

-Marilyn Manson "Personal Jesus"

-Ministry "Lay Lady Lay"

-Dope "F*** tha Police"

-Dope "People are People"

-Dope "You Spin Me Round"

-Type O Negative "Summer Breeze"

Can you tell I'm an industrial metal addict?

...by listing 4 nu-metal songs? Dope's only good cover has been "Fuck Tha Police," IMO, because it actually fit them: Edsel and Simon used to be drug dealers, so of course they've had run-in's with the cops. Orgy's cover is good for nostalgia alone, brings me back to middle school...which fucking sucked so fuck Orgy.

Orgy wasn't nu-metal. They were more industrial synth rock. Never heard Gordon rap until their latest album.

Not sure who sang it first, but I prefer Bob Marley version of Redemption Song.

Also Dave Mathews version of All Along The Watchtower is good as well.

Tea Party version of Pain it Black is better than The Rolling Stones

My favorite covers:

Mariah Carey:

"The Beautiful Ones" feat Dru Hill

"Open Arms"

"I'll Be There"

Luther Vandross:

"Always and Forever"

"Here and Now"

Troop:

"All I Do is Think of You"

Allure:

"All Cried Out"

Hendrix:

"All Along The Watchtower"

Bono et al:

"What's Going On"

Ginuwine:

"When Dove's Cry"

"She's Out of my life"

Orgy wasn't nu-metal. They were more industrial synth rock. Never heard Gordon rap until their latest album.

Nu-metal had/has little to do with rap. Rap/rock =/= nu-metal. Nu-metal is shit like KoRn (Jon Davis rarely rapped), Trapt, Endo, Disturbed, early Kittie (Spit and most of Oracle, since Until The End is actually a fairly underrated METAL album that was tossed aside due to it being Kittie), Coal Chamber, etc. Orgy was nu-metal with synthesizers. Catchy stuff, but Jay Gordon was such a fucking pussy-ass faggot and they tried to make everything seem heavier than it should have been. Nu-metal to the core with some bullshit whipped cream toppings.

Guest The Showcase

"Cortez The Killer" by the Dave Matthews Band with Warren Hayes on the Central Park Concert album is possibly the best cover ever.

Guest guerillagenius

Sevendust - "Hurt" (on the Southside Double Wide Album) is fantastic.

A Perfect Circle - "Imagine"

Mindless Self Indulgence - "Bring The Pain" is awesome.

"Cortez The Killer" by the Dave Matthews Band with Warren Hayes on the Central Park Concert album is possibly the best cover ever.

You should hear Gov't Mule do it. Much much better.

Also, I've always had a soft spot for Dynamite Hack's cover of Boyz in da hood.

The Gourds - Gin And Juice (Snoop Dog)

Mark Lanegan - Carry Home (The Gun Club)

M Ward - Let's Dance (David Bowie)

The Byrds - Mr Tambourine Man (Bob Dylan)

Uncle Tupelo - Moonshiner (Traditional)

The Ramones - I Don't Want To Grow Up (Tom Waits)

The Walkabouts - On The Beach (Neil Young)

The Handsome Family - Sunday Morning Coming Down (Kris Kristofferson)

Its Waits' baby (written with his wife, as is the norm with his later work) and both the Ramones and the Violent Femmes, as well as a few other artists, I believe, have all recorded their versions of it.

Waits recorded his original version on 1992's Bone Machine.

The Ramones, meanwhile, released their version of the song on their final album -- 1995's ¡Adios Amigos!

I'm not sure if the Violent Femmes have a studio version of it but they often perform it live.

I know this may be just cause for an immediate banning, but I kind of prefer Sugar Ray's version of "Abracadabra" to the original. It may be the only good thing they've ever done.

Although I lost my taste for Sublime years ago, I suppose they belong on this list as well, being that most of their songs are covers either in whole or in part, so some of them are bound to be better than the originals based on the law of large numbers. This is why people that rag on Sublime give them the title of "Best Cover Band of All Time," which tends to piss off their diehard followers.

Which is fine, because Sublime's diehard followers are drunken potheads who like them because Brad always talked about getting high and getting drunk. Sublime works as good party music for their faster songs, and good "chill-out" music for their slower songs, but they weren't anything groundbreakingly amazing like so many people make them out to be. Outside of the samples and how they're worked into the song for the cover of "Smoke Two Joints," it's fucking terrible.

Another example of a band whose fame comes mostly from having some good songs, being slightly different than what else was mainstream at the time, and the main guy dying.

The Pixies' "Head On" > The Jesus and Mary Chain's "Head On"

The Pixies covering a song that was only two years old AND by equally big college rock staples JAMC was something of a big deal in '91. That they perfected what was already a good song made it worth it.

Oh, and

TV on the Radio's "Mr. Grieves" > Pixies' "Mr. Grieves"

Whoa, Laz and I are in agreement on something. Rare. Sublime is pretty awful, and another shining example of a fanbase making a bad band worse.

You'd be surprised at what shared dislike/hatred for various bands we probably have in common. And I mean beyond emo and nu-metal.