TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous A

Adam Morrison vs JJ Redick

This stems from an ESPN segment with Digger Phelps and Jay Bilas.

Basically, it's a two man race for College Player of the Year, Duke's JJ Redick and Gonzaga's Adam Morrison. Questions here are..

Who will be the Player of the Year?

and

Who will turn out to be the better pro player?

I think Redick will get the nod for POTY because Duke gets more exposure and plays a tougher schedule.

However, I think Morrison, because of his height, will be a better pro. Redick is still a better pure shooter, but he really needs to find the right team and personnel at the pro level to achieve real success since he is undersized for a shooting guard and his handle may not be pro level to play point guard. Still, if he finds the right system, he should be fine.

What do you think?

Redick wins POTY. Morrison actually has value as a pro.

I look at JJ on the pro level and see Kyle Korver 2.0. He plays no 'D', can't really create his own shot and happens to play the position with some of the league's most unstoppable players. JJ will be lucky to average 8-10 PPG in his career. He could last a long time ala Steve Kerr, but I don't see him ever being a star.

Morrison on the other hand is more versatile and can cause match up problems on the offensive end. Given time, and the right team I could see him being a borderline all star type player. If he gets a bit stronger and learns to play some defense, I can see him as a smaller version of Dirk Nowitzki.

I don't know about that. Lots of Redick love out there saying he'll go as high as #2 or #3 in the draft whereas Morrison may be lucky to go lottery. (those people are probrably wrong though)

Just seeing if anyone has a different perspective. I know a lot of people out West don't think it's such a cut and dry argument for POTY.

An argument for Morrison is that he doesn't have the help that Redick has on his team.

I've only heard Morrison as a top 3 pick, and Redick is moving on up each day. Redick started off at being picked late in the lottery, but he's moving up to top 5.

Guest Princess Leena

Redick will likely win... due to a combination of being on the better and more notorious team. And playing tougher competition. And not having much help around him either. And the "JJ is a defensive liability" simply isn't true anymore.

As far as pro prospects... I really don't know. I guess Morrison would be drafted earlier, simply because he has the size advantage, and is better at creating his own shots. The problem I see with Morrison in the NBA, is where do you play him. I see him struggling against many of the bigger 3 men out there... especially in rebounding.

That's a great point, Leena. A lot of people are projecting Morrison to play 3 and even a little 4. However, I can see Morrison getting torched defensively by the more athletic 3's and getting pounded on by the bigger 4's.

Matter of fact, I see both men getting lit up on a regular basis in the NBA because they are not known for the Defense.

I'm not talking about Morrison getting his shot off. I'm talking about Morrison getting lit up defensively, and not just his rookie year, I'm talking his entire career.

Guest bigm350

Redick will win POTY for the reasons already stated, but I can already see him being a flop in the NBA. I don't think he's athletic enough, at both ends of the court, to be much of a factor in the league.

Morrison, I think has a much brighter NBA future. I think he's somewhat still raw, but I can see him develop into a good, and maybe even great, NBA player.

Guest Smues

As an avid Gonzaga hater and Duke lover I hope JJ wins POTY, but I have this fear Morrison will. Not saying he doesn't deserve it, but I love JJ, and living in Spokane I'll never hear the end of it if Adam wins. Plus his mustache is GOD AWFUL UGLY.

JJ's 100x better than Morrison in every way. He puts up the same stats against Carolina and NC State that Morrison puts up against Portland and San Diego. If he doesn't get POTY, it will be an outrage.

And JJ's going to be a better pro too. I don't see him being the #1 guy anywhere, but he'll be a hell of a #2, I kind of think of him as the next Scottie Pippen. (In terms of contribution to the team, obviously he won't be a forward that gets tons of rebounds.) Morrison meanwhile, is going to be a total bust. He's too small to be a forward and not quick enough to be a guard. I'd be surprised if he ever ends up with a starting job in the NBA.

Lets see, Morrison against "tough" teams:

vs. UCONN - 18 pts

vs. Michigan St. - 43 pts

vs. Memphis - 34 pts

vs. Washington - 43 pts

ACC Teams:

vs. Maryland - 25 pts

vs. Virginia - 27 pts

Your argument doesn't hold any truth. He'll drop 30 on anybody. North Carolina and NC State aren't even that good anymore anyway.

You're crazy if you think Redick will be a number two option in the NBA. Redick lacks size for the 2, and can't play the point. He's a worse tweener than Morrison.

I see J.J career mirroring Jeff Hornacek. Nothing spectacular, but a very solid player. Morrison is harder to figure out, as he seems to be out of control half the time whenever I watch.

However, both players are easily qualified for the award. In the end Reddick gets it because Dick Vitale will give him so many verbal blowjobs on the air people will think he deserves it.

I'm disappointed to see J.J. Reddick moving up the draft boards. I was hoping teams would keep picking guys over him, making Vitale more and more irate as the night went on. Finally, a European guy would get picked over Reddick , then Vitale and Stephen A. Smith would hit the roof.

And JJ's going to be a better pro too. I don't see him being the #1 guy anywhere, but he'll be a hell of a #2, I kind of think of him as the next Scottie Pippen. (In terms of contribution to the team, obviously he won't be a forward that gets tons of rebounds.)

I have a tough time believing you even watch basketball. Comparing Reddick to Pippen is LUDOCRIS.

Pippen was a defensive-minded player who was good on offense, Reddick is a offensive-minded player with HORRIBLE defense.

Pippen was able to shut down the opposite teams best player. I doubt there will ever be a 2nd option on a team as well rounded as Scottie Pippen in his prime.

Didn't I make this relatively clear? I was saying that he could be a great #2 scorer, not that he'd get a lot of rebounds or play great defense. I was just saying that if you put him with a physical slasher like LeBron or Kobe, he'd be able to score a lot of points while still letting them be the focus of the offense.

And Morrison's the short Wally Sczerbiak. He thinks he's a forward and he ran up a lot of points at a small school; the comparison's perfect. Put him on the floor with somebody like KG and he doesn't look like such a great scoring option anymore.

Guest Smues
Didn't I make this relatively clear? I was saying that he could be a great #2 scorer, not that he'd get a lot of rebounds or play great defense. I was just saying that if you put him with a physical slasher like LeBron or Kobe, he'd be able to score a lot of points while still letting them be the focus of the offense.

And Morrison's the short Wally Sczerbiak. He thinks he's a forward and he ran up a lot of points at a small school; the comparison's perfect. Put him on the floor with somebody like KG and he doesn't look like such a great scoring option anymore.

He doesn't look like a great anything with that mustache.

Guest Princess Leena

Adam is better at Halo than Gay Gay!

And I wouldn't have known this if it wasn't for the ever-annoying ESPN Motion crap on their site that you cannot stop.

Do you even know who Adam Morrison is? He's taller than Wally World, and he is a freaking forward.

Wally's a pretty good scorer too. 20 point scorer, at 50% shooting? What the hell do you want?

Iggymcfly knows nothing about basketball. That's what I've gathered from this. All Redick has to do is stand behind the three point line and jack up shots. He'll be valuable in the league, but not as valuable as Morrison, a guy that can create his own shot and actually make it.

I don't get why people think that JJ can't create his own shot. I think he has the same shot creating ability as say Richard Hamilton who benifits from alot of catching and turning, but when push comes to shove, has decent handles to where he can get him self to a stop and pull up situation.

I don't think he will ever be a finisher at the rim, but he has been driving the ball alot more this year and showing that he can go in there.

Wally Z shot mostly from the perimeter and shot over 50%. Well over 50 some years. I don't think people appreciate how freakishly good that is. I see JJ doing the same. being a perimeter guy that will shoot a VERY high percentage and it will get him in the 20+ point position in the NBA if the team utilizes him correctly.

I also would say that the Jeff Horneck comparison would be good but I don't think that JJ has Horny's range...much like Wally. And Jeff had a great career. He was just on the decline by the time he got to Utah so alot of people didn't get to see him in his prime when he was part of the big three in Phoenix with KJ and Tom Chambers.

I doubt his ability to dribble in the league. He could easily prove me wrong. JJ is like Hornacek, I can't even think of a white player to describe Morrison. His game is very 70's and 80's ish. I love that.

Don't forget, Morrison put 34 on Memphis too. I don't understand the problem with Morrison, he isn't the second coming, or anything, but the guy can ball.

As far as the POTY thing, I bet they'll cop out and split it. I think if ONE guy had to get it Reddick is gonna end up winning it, hes a senior, he plays for Duke, hes been in the spotlight (for better or worse) for the last couple of years and his big games were against Texas and Georgetown.

The Hornacek comparison is way better than Wally. Wally is 6'6 and can post up on occasion. Redick is what, 6'3, maybe 6'4. I wouldn't doubt they measure him at the NBA workouts and find him to be shorter, which will hurt him even more.

The Hornacek comparison is way better than Wally. Wally is 6'6 and can post up on occasion. Redick is what, 6'3, maybe 6'4. I wouldn't doubt they measure him at the NBA workouts and find him to be shorter, which will hurt him even more.

But Horny had more range than both of them put together. Wally and Redick will never be consistant NBA range shooters. They will be deadly at that College arch, and in. Plus, Wally can post up...he just can't score when he does it which always makes me wonder why the hell he does it.

And Jeff Hornacek would play the backup point of Phoenix and Utah sometimes. He had very good handles and was a great passer. I wouldn't call either Wally or JJ excellent handlers or passers.